Trump Impeachment 2: Insurrection Boogaloo

Sawbonz

9 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Where did you hear that a simple majority was all that is needed?

former Senator McCaskill.  there's a mechanism whereby both party's Senate leaders can agree to waive the trial on the impeachment charges (particularly when the person in question has already left office---remember most impeachment trials happened during the middle of a term).  By doing so, it wasn't that removal from office wasn't put into effect by a 2/3rds, it's sort of a suspended trial (I'll defer to lawyers on here), it just was waived.  And as such, can put to the full Senate a simple 50%+1 vote on prohibition from holding office in perpetuity.  It would ironically rely more on the Senate Democrats than the republicans.  

I'm not explaining it well and she confessed the same because it's never been done before.  

McConnell released a statement just 15 minutes after gavel out...his Senate just doesn't have the calendar to initiate a trial.  Brilliant.  Listen to the words, he even sounds like he thinks not a valid trial.  He gets to let Schumer, Harris, et. al. kick Trump out of ever running for office.  People Trumpers already hate anyway.  Mitch looks like he gets to play nice with his new co-leaders of the Senate.  And he probably gets the Senate back in 2022.  I know Trumpers think Trump was playing 3-D chess this whole time even though he was playing 'Go-Fish' with a blind kid.  But Mitch is playing something impressive.  

Edited by Lobo

21 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Congratulations to the people of the United States for impeaching the motherfucker one more time.

50 years from now in history books, students will read, "The president was impeached twice, but not convicted? " and ask why?

the GOP will not be looked upon favorably.

Edited by yoladu

If you had "United States Infrastructure Week being held in Scotland after a Second Impeachment" on your 2021 Bingo Card, I already declare you the winner.  

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This must be stopped.

There is no guarantee of that.

Anyone telling you what's going to happen in 2022 is a fool and a liar.

A) Trump voters don't show up when he's not on the ballot

B) We have to wait and see what Biden does - $2k checks, an actual vaccine distribution system, reopening schools and getting people back to work and a projected good economy due to re-openings and vaccines - why would suburban voters suddenly freak out and flip back to the GOP? Who is STILL going to be the party of Trump, with plenty of nasty primary battles. 

C) GOP has way more ground to defend than Dems.  GOP has seats up in 2 different Biden seats (PA and WI) and an open seat in NC. Dems have no seats in Trump states this time around, unlike 2018.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

B) We have to wait and see what Biden does - $2k checks, an actual vaccine distribution system, reopening schools and getting people back to work and a projected good economy due to re-openings and vaccines - why would suburban voters suddenly freak out and flip back to the GOP? Who is STILL going to be the party of Trump, with plenty of nasty primary battles. 

I had this argument with a buddy the other day.  I agree with you.  His argument was that a) Dems are too politically stupid to hold on to power and b) too many people think dotard was the only problem and will go right back to voting R.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

People also won’t be as motivated to vote against Trump.  I stood in line for 2.5 hours during the middle of a pandemic to vote that fat fuck out of office.  In 22 I think the most important race on the ballot will be for a house seat.  I’ll still vote, but many won’t.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

People also won’t be as motivated to vote against Trump.  I stood in line for 2.5 hours during the middle of a pandemic to vote that fat fuck out of office.  In 22 I think the most important race on the ballot will be for a house seat.  I’ll still vote, but many won’t.

One of the big things about this political realignment we are in is that Democrats traded infrequent WWC voters for suburban educated voters, who CONSISTENTLY vote in midterms. 

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Where did you hear that a simple majority was all that is needed?

I understand, second hand, that after a vote to convict, Senate rules require a second vote on the "hold office" issue.  That vote is a majority vote.

I have no idea what the Senate rules say if the vote is not to convict or the conviction vote is not held at all.

The Constitution is clear as mud on it.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

why would suburban voters suddenly freak out and flip back to the GOP?

but our taxes might go up!  (and they might because the GOP learned after the bush tax cuts that you make the ones for normal people expire, not the ones for billionaires)

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

b) too many people think dotard was the only problem and will go right back to voting R.

this is our concern, dude

Edited by elfenix

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

C) GOP has way more ground to defend than Dems.  GOP has seats up in 2 different Biden seats (PA and WI) and an open seat in NC. Dems have no seats in Trump states this time around, unlike 2018.

They have the memories of goldfish and GOP propaganda is effective.

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I had this argument with a buddy the other day.  I agree with you.  His argument was that a) Dems are too politically stupid to hold on to power and b) too many people think dotard was the only problem and will go right back to voting R.

I didn't realize we were friends.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dis gun be good.

You know that "official White House statement" issued today, about "violence bad, don't do it?"  Expect that to be completely obliterated.  It will be relentless whining, lying about the stolen election, and repeatedly calling Democrats enemies of our country who must be stopped at all costs.  You know, exactly the stuff he was just impeached for.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I understand, second hand, that after a vote to convict, Senate rules require a second vote on the "hold office" issue.  That vote is a majority vote.

I have no idea what the Senate rules say if the vote is not to convict or the conviction vote is not held at all.

The Constitution is clear as mud on it.

yeah, the more political lawyers I talk with, it's pretty damn murky.  The idea is that the Senate decides not to try the President for the impeachable crimes...they can still move to the second simple majority vote.  Now obviously if the initial vote fails to win 67% majority, there's no point in the second vote and it's never been held.  But if the first trial is waived, can they move to a permanent ban from federal office...and it's complicated by a basic 50/50 Senate to just decide to bring that issue to the floor, let alone a 50%+1 vote to actually carry it out.  all that's clear is that McConnell is banking on that and is delaying everything and is using this as leverage both with the Trump base and with his new Democratic Senate co-leaders.  and he gets his party back in line as he likes it.  This part is just fascinating to me.  I know a lot of this forum think McConnell is an dumbass like Trump.  But he is sublimely clever.  

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know that "official White House statement" issued today, about "violence bad, don't do it?"  Expect that to be completely obliterated.  It will be relentless whining, lying about the stolen election, and repeatedly calling Democrats enemies of our country who must be stopped at all costs.  You know, exactly the stuff he was just impeached for.

And that he can't put on twitter anymore.

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So did any Republican congressmen argue at the Capitol today that Trump has learned his lesson since he is no longer sending out Tweets that incite people to destroy the country?

BY GAWD THAT SUSAN COLLINS' MUSIC! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

No he's the representative for OH 16. I think you're referring to Vicente Gonzalez from Corpus Christi 

Damn, I guess y'all are right. My new rep in TX-23 is "Tony Gonzales." https://gonzales.house.gov/

According to this, TX-23 is "Ernest Gonzales." He voted no. What an asshole.

Edited by Bookman

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Trump's gonna commit an impeachable offense in the video, will get impeached again, and this will replay every day till the 20th like The Breakfast Club.

I disagree. Trump's video will be a calm, rational breakdown of his superior healthcare plan. Then, he will give a thoughtful speech on how to achieve peace in the Middle East. It will be his first presidential moment. It will be his gift to the nation, and the world. Then, he will go off the rails and curse about the 4th quarter of the Texas/ Iowa State game. 

• Haha 4