Trump Impeachment 2: Insurrection Boogaloo

Sawbonz

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We are so far beyond this shit now.  The paradigm has completely shifted. Lots of folks are going to prison in the near future and they won’t be democrats.  That’s going influence messaging strategy.

I hope you’re right but believe you are dead wrong. Trump could kill someone on 5th Avenue and no one would do a thing. 

1 minute ago, RPM said:

That's what my MAGA relatives are screaming. They don't understand burning an Autozone isn't the same as invading a seated Congress with intent to kill.

One of the two crimes with which Trump is being accused is literally spelled out word-for-word in the Constitution's 14th Amendment because we were just fresh off an insurrection kinda like this week.  The crimes committed on the premises of an Autozone aren't addressed until well into the 37th Amendment "GET IN THE ZONE!" 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If I had to make an optimistic guess, I’d say McConnell will be using every tool available to force Trump to resign without having a Senate trial. 

I agree, but I would also guess that Trump will refuse every tool available to get him to resign and force the senate to have the trial.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It really is remarkable how white the GOP caucus is seeing them speak side to side with the dems

I made the same observation about the Judiciary Committee during the last impeachment proceedings. The Dem side was a good blend of women, people of color, etc. The GOP: angry white men except one.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

and i have to say, all this talk about "healing" and "unity" from the party who had designs to derail certification of the electoral vote...i mean, i just can't.

motherfucking this - a dem needs to stand up there and call out the arsonists for not just playing with matches but lighting them and pouring gasoline on the fire

I fear you are correct. The Republicans have proved that they can state a lie or mistruth and keep repeating it until it becomes reality. The Dems have  seemed to cling to being true to their own individual ethics. without uniting behind a single message.

Every Dem should be hammering these seditious assholes as traitors and putting their feet to the fire by answering one question: are you going to stand with democracy and behind the American people who duly elected Joe Biden in a free and fair election or are you going to stand with domestic terrorists? You're either with us or you're against us. Which is it?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

He can still do it but he wants to throw this monkey wrench into Bidens first 100 days and let it distract.

Convening the Senate now would give the GOP the power to decide all of the rules of the trial.  Waiting until the 20th to start (or when Ossoff/Warnock are sworn in and VP Harris) means Dems set the rules. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

motherfucking this - a dem needs to stand up there and call out the arsonists for not just playing with matches but lighting them and pouring gasoline on the fire

this is why our committee debates are worthless as compared to the wild rhetorical arguments that occur in the uk. they actually go back and forth and argue with one another. ours just read prepared statements.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Newhouse just torpedoed his career.  His district went 58-39 for Trump in '20 and hasn't gone for a D since Johnson in '64.   It's only been less than a double digit R win twice (Bush in 92 +7 and Dole in '96 +8.)   It's usually like a landslide R district.  Hell, Newhouse won in '20 66-33 and in '16 62-37.

Good on him.

Edited by Macanudo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Newhouse just torpedoed his career.  His district went 58-39 for Trump in '20 and hasn't gone for a D since Johnson in '64.   It's only been less than a double digit R win twice (Bush in 92 +7 and Dole in '96 +8.)   It's usually like a landslide R district.  Hell, Newhouse one in '20 66-33 and in '16 62-37.

Good on him.

Just a hunch; I suspect he decided before today that he was gonna get out when this term was up.

Edit:  forgot to add; still good on him for doing voting to impeach.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1