Trump Impeachment 2: Insurrection Boogaloo

Sawbonz

13 hours ago, kevwun said:

Not that you care, but if the Senate convicts him, he can never run for a Federal office again.  Which is kind of a big deal for a wannabe dictator.

@Bateshorn suggested that a separate article be drafted that seeks only to bar his running for office again.

At first, I was skeptical, as the vote to bar from office "historically" (there's not a ton of history there) follows a vote of conviction for removal from office.  Which I interpreted to mean that he has to be convicted/removed before consideration of holding office again.

But re-reading the Constitution, there's at least an argument that removal from office and being barred from holding office are independent remedies.  That is, removal could be mooted by expiration of his term, but the barring could still be on the table:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than immediate removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Something no one would ever say:

George W Bush has a historic opportunity to unify America behind the sentiment that our political divisions have gone too far 

But instead he decided to promote the right’s efforts to use this terrible national tragedy to try and crush Al Queda or anyone not anti-Terrorist enough

Like Hawley and Cruz, everything Marco is saying has to be taken in the context of his future Presidential ambitions.  He's trying to win Trump's base on his side, and/or he's trying not to get primaried.

Remember, Marco's seat is up in '22, and he's in Florida.

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Like Hawley and Cruz, everything Marco is saying has to be taken in the context of his future Presidential ambitions.  He's trying to win Trump's base on his side, and/or he's trying not to get primaried.

I'm sure it does, but once he took that Oath of Office, his ambitions are to take a back seat to the Country and its Constitution. Sucks to his assmar if his future plans don't work out. Join the rest of America, Marco, sometimes life is like that.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

@Bateshorn suggested that a separate article be drafted that seeks only to bar his running for office again.

At first, I was skeptical, as the vote to bar from office "historically" (there's not a ton of history there) follows a vote of conviction for removal from office.  Which I interpreted to mean that he has to be convicted/removed before consideration of holding office again.

But re-reading the Constitution, there's at least an argument that removal from office and being barred from holding office are independent remedies.  That is, removal could be mooted by expiration of his term, but the barring could still be on the table:

I agree. They can remove him and bar him from holding office in the future. Just because his term expires doesn’t mean they can’t do the latter. 

bad_teammate has a better shot at the 2024 Republican nomination than Rubio. He’ll always be Little Marco to the Trumpkins, but he’s too dumb to recognize that. Fuck him.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some of it is actual self-preservation. As in his life. There are going to be assassination attempts against the GOP members seen as insufficiently loyal to the coup.

Oops.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Based Manchin - impeach that fuck, make DC and PR states. 

Democrats are angry. No need to hold back anymore 

Goddamn right I'm angry. Those people wanted blood. They beat a cop to death. They wanted to kill Pelosi, Pence, and a list of others. 

The arrests better fucking continue.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Some of it is actual self-preservation. As in his life. There are going to be assassination attempts against the GOP members seen as insufficiently loyal to the coup.

Oops.

Of course, and I get that drives all of us. Which, while we're sitting here in this new century should makes us appreciate the hard choices made in the old one. The century where some of those that faced this choice didn't flee (like Elaine and Betsy) to safer places and decided to step forward in courage. Like Arnold said in his video: Profiles in Courage.

To be courageous, it has to actually mean something or it's just an act. Here's where the drama gets real. Marco? Your choice: Exit? Or, enter, stage right?

49 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Goddamn right I'm angry. Those people wanted blood. They beat a cop to death. They wanted to kill Pelosi, Pence, and a list of others. 

The arrests better fucking continue.

I was originally in favor of one sudden mass arrest after they thought they got away with it, but this drip, drip, drip is also exquisite as the miscreants yet to be nabbed keep thumbing at their phones, watching websites and accounts go dark, hearing somebody got a visit, wondering who said what.

Imagine the green diarrhea squats these stressed-out adrenalin-drained criminals are having.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, Marco, that’s a serious hot take. 

“Yeah, the guy we’ve spent four years enabling has tried to overturn an election and organized a mob to ransack the place where I work. But jeez, this Biden guy us just overreacting.”

Just now, Go Pokes said:

I’ve never really waded into Cloak Room before and a current fascination for me is Trump supporters that are still on the bandwagon. Are there any left here and where are they?

Daily Texan forum 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

I’ve never really waded into Cloak Room before and a current fascination for me is Trump supporters that are still on the bandwagon. Are there any left here and where are they?

Welcome! There is a ledge, a lanai, an anteroom, and a basement. The 'MIlwaukee's Best is in the beer fridge in the basement. As far as I can tell, the potent potables increase in amount and quality as you proceed from there. Most of the Trump supporters have left the building.

23 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

They are all on texags and tigerdroppings. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why the fuck?  He already said it wasn't going to happen.  Just fucking impeach tomorrow and send it to the Senate.  God dammit Nancy, you don't have to complicate things.

Mitch isn't bringing the Senate back to start the trial until the 19th anyway.... why does it matter?

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not equipped? Did you forget this? Possibly the most powerful political statement I’ve ever seen. 

TELEMMGLPICT000232725266_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Only one person in this picture is not wearing their mask correctly.  But her hair looks coiffed. 

what’s the hurry in the house if the senate isn’t going to show up for work until 1/19?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Mitch isn't bringing the Senate back to start the trial until the 19th anyway.... why does it matter?

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Only one person in this picture is not wearing their mask correctly.  But her hair looks coiffed. 

what’s the hurry in the house if the senate isn’t going to show up for work until 1/19?

It puts it in Mitch's lap faster and the expediency makes it at least LOOK like the Dems were trying.  Y'all are right as far as actual conviction.  Maybe it doesn't matter, I don't know, but god dammit, it's the right thing to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It puts it in Mitch's lap faster and the expediency makes it at least LOOK like the Dems were trying.  Y'all are right as far as actual conviction.  Maybe it doesn't matter, I don't know, but god dammit, it's the right thing to do.

It is the right and proper thing to do and if the rest of America that thinks that insurrectionist mobs and the people who incite them should be held accountable get off our asses and lean on corporate America Mitch might get off his ass and do something. Here's a football analogy: I'm no expert at such things, but sitting in the bleachers I've noticed that some of the team owners are waking up and expressing dissatisfaction with the head coach and are speaking up about it. They've written some letters, op-eds, and are threatening to pull their funding for his salary.

It is a sad state of affairs, but it isn't just our elected senators and house representatives we need to be contacting. Reach out to those corporate CEOs. Look up their boards and write or call to each and every one of them specifically and be a good troubling nuisance by mentioning that the House passed this and it's Mitch McConnell gumming up the works. They will definitely be able to get to him by proxy in a way we won't. Like I said, sad state of affairs, but it is what it is. Andy Dufresne couldn't get traction with the warden, but he worked the system until it gave a little, just like that cell wall crumbled. Gravity and erosion take time, but build the pressure. Spread the word.

Even if it fails in the ultimate goal of getting the date moved, it still has an effect. Believe me. There have got to be people on the inside of corporate America who are not as souless as Mitch. Help on the inside helped Trump, but he's not the only one who can use that tactic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Remember a couple of weeks ago when he called the Georgia SOS and said to find him the votes he needed to win, and to just say that they miscounted? They're seriously not including that? 

It's literally in there.  on the beginning of page 4