Trump Impeachment 2: Insurrection Boogaloo

Sawbonz

I hope Representative Kim reads this next week:
[/url]  

Makes me enraged all over again.
140 injured cops, some very seriously, RESISTING AN ARMED ASSAULT ON THE GOVERNMENT CONDUCTING THE CONSTITUTIONAL TRANSFER OF POWER.

We’re going to remember 1/6 in the same shorthand way we remember 9/11.

You did this, Trumpkins and Republicans. Your encouraged it, aided and abetted it, and stoked the fires for political gain. And you almost succeeded in overthrowing the government. Fuck you to hell, for eternity.[/url]
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/6/2021 at 7:18 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Seriously? They should tell him to fuck off. Our government shouldn’t be forced to stop its work because someone believes in fairy tales.

Bold move to criticize a belief in “fairy tales” while proclaiming your faith in the work of our government in one post.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Bold move to criticize a belief in “fairy tales” while proclaiming your faith in the work of our government in one post.

Wtf are you talking about? That doesn’t even make sense. How was he proclaiming his faith in the work of our government?

Are you by any chance a believer in fairy tales who got his jimmies rustled and are reading more into his post than what is actually there?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wtf are you talking about? That doesn’t even make sense. How was he proclaiming his faith in the work of our government?

Are you by any chance a believer in fairy tales who got his jimmies rustled and are reading more into his post than what is actually there?

Let’s ignore the fact that he said “our government shouldn’t be forced to stop its work,” which is pretty clearly an implicit statement of faith.

More importantly...it was a joke. Thought that was fairly obvious. 

Edited by formermav43

34 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Let’s ignore the fact that he said “our government shouldn’t be forced to stop its work,” which is pretty clearly an implicit statement of faith.

More importantly...it was a joke. Thought that was fairly obvious. 

What the fuck are you talking about? 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

What the fuck are you talking about? 

Is there an echo in here?

Have you looked at the US government lately? Some might argue it takes at least as much faith to believe in the fairy tale of its proper functioning as it does to believe in God.

It was just a throwaway post that struck me as mildly amusing. Though not nearly clever enough (or complicated enough-not sure what you guys aren’t getting about it) to warrant any real discussion, let alone multiple posts of explanation.

Edited by formermav43

57 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

No it’s not. And you said, explicitly, that he was “proclaiming [his] faith in the work of our government.” Acknowledging that there is such a thing as our government and offering an opinion on how it should work is not an implicit statement of faith in that institution.

Oh, it was a joke, was it? I think you told it wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Is there an echo in here?

Have you looked at the US government lately? Some might argue it takes at least as much faith to believe in the fairy tale of its proper functioning as it does to believe in God.

It was just a throwaway post that struck me as mildly amusing. Though not nearly clever enough (or complicated enough-not sure what you guys aren’t getting about it) to warrant any real discussion, let alone multiple posts of explanation.

I said nothing about it’s proper function. I simply said someone’s religious beliefs should stop us from having the hearings we are supposed to have. 

I think it takes explanation because what you said literally didn’t make sense.

24 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I interpreted it as a “your government” vs “my government” statement by a guy who still thinks Trump is president but as he admits he told the joke wrong. 

Wut.

You could call formermav a number of things, but delusional Trumper is not one of them.

• Hook 'Em 3

I really want someone to go into this and propose the following: If Biden were to order the military to take control of the Senate, House, and each state Capitol and legislative offices tomorrow, declare himself emperor for life, but was ultimately unsuccessful and resigned, would that not be grounds to impeach him and remove the ability for him to hold office again in the future? What if Kamala then appointed Biden as her VP (or somehow got him into the line of succession), resigned, and allowed Biden to resume the role of president whereby he immediately issued the same orders again? Is that really what we think is permissible under the Constitution? You can do whatever you want, then resign to avoid any prohibition regarding future office?

Question: is Trump involved? Answer determinative.

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Quick question for those briefing attorneys: was Rudy the president's lawyer or not? 

Be thoughtful in how you answer.  If he wasn't, then you're fucked on privilege with any communications with him.  If he WAS.....then the president's LEGAL AGENT (that's what your attorney is) directly incited violence on the president's behalf, with the president's knowledge.

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Government is so stupid. Let's was 4 more hours "debating" constitutionality and then do another vote, because the first one wasn't enough. 

Also no trial on Saturday so Trump can go play golf. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That's ridiculous.  Everyone knows that law monkeys are only valid if they are brought to the courthouse via briefcase.

The law treats Rudy like an ape, not a monkey. Common mistake. We should all prepare ourselves for the classic "damn you all to hell" defense, followed by a few thrown turds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Teri Kanefield has a nice walk through of her thoughts on the Trump brief. Click on her tweet below to get the whole thread. It's about 14 tweets long (but numbered!) and a five or so minute read depending upon if you read the extras. ICYMI, Kanefield is an author/lawyer and frequent contributor to various media outlets.

Not sure where to put this...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-georgia-investigation-exclu/georgia-secretary-of-states-office-launches-probe-into-trumps-election-phone-call-idUSKBN2A82HO

Georgia Secretary of State's office launches probe into Trump's election phone call

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Georgia’s Secretary of State’s office opened a probe on Monday into former U.S. President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the state’s 2020 election results, a step that could lead to a criminal investigation by state and local authorities.

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger had faced calls to open a probe after Trump was recorded in a Jan. 2 phone call pressuring Raffensperger to overturn the state’s election results based on unfounded voter fraud claims.

“The Secretary of State’s office investigates complaints it receives,” said Walter Jones, a spokesman for Raffensperger’s office, describing the investigation as “fact finding and administrative.”

“Any further legal efforts will be left to the attorney general.”

Legal experts say Trump’s phone calls may have violated at least three state criminal election laws: conspiracy to commit election fraud, criminal solicitation to commit election fraud, and intentional interference with performance of election duties. The felony and misdemeanor violations are punishable by fines or imprisonment.

If Trump were prosecuted, he would likely argue that he genuinely believed the election was rigged against him, the experts said, noting that criminal laws generally require a guilty state of mind or a deliberate intent to carry out a crime - and that this may be a high hurdle to clear in this case.

So Trump will plead insanity?

Spoiler

Georgia Secretary of State's office launches probe into Trump's election phone call

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Georgia’s Secretary of State’s office opened a probe on Monday into former U.S. President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the state’s 2020 election results, a step that could lead to a criminal investigation by state and local authorities.

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger had faced calls to open a probe after Trump was recorded in a Jan. 2 phone call pressuring Raffensperger to overturn the state’s election results based on unfounded voter fraud claims.

“The Secretary of State’s office investigates complaints it receives,” said Walter Jones, a spokesman for Raffensperger’s office, describing the investigation as “fact finding and administrative.”

“Any further legal efforts will be left to the attorney general.”

He said the probe, which was first reported by Reuters, was prompted by a complaint filed on Monday by George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf.

Banzhaf told Reuters he spoke with an investigator in Raffensperger’s office on Monday, hours after he filed the complaint requesting a probe into Trump’s potential election interference. It was his fourth such complaint to Georgia officials since the Jan. 2 call, he said.

Jason Miller, a Trump adviser, said, “There was nothing improper or untoward about a scheduled call between President Trump, Secretary Raffensperger and lawyers on both sides. If Mr. Raffensperger didn’t want to receive calls about the election, he shouldn’t have run for Secretary of State.”

Legal experts say Trump’s phone calls may have violated at least three state criminal election laws: conspiracy to commit election fraud, criminal solicitation to commit election fraud, and intentional interference with performance of election duties. The felony and misdemeanor violations are punishable by fines or imprisonment.

If Trump were prosecuted, he would likely argue that he genuinely believed the election was rigged against him, the experts said, noting that criminal laws generally require a guilty state of mind or a deliberate intent to carry out a crime - and that this may be a high hurdle to clear in this case.

In the Jan. 2 phone call, Trump urged Raffensperger, a fellow Republican, to “find” enough votes to overturn his Georgia loss. The transcript quotes Trump telling Raffensperger: “All I want to do is this: I just want to find 11,780 votes,” which is the number Trump needed to win.

On Jan. 6 - the day of the U.S. Capitol riots - Trump bragged about the call in a speech to supporters: “People love that conversation because it says what’s going on,” he said. “These people are crooked.”

In addition, two Democratic lawmakers in the U.S. House of Representatives - Kathleen Rice, of New York, and Ted Lieu, of California - asked in a Jan. 4 letter to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a criminal probe into Trump’s call to Raffensperger.

LEGAL PERILS
The push for investigations illustrates the legal perils facing Trump since he lost the constitutional protections that shield sitting presidents from prosecution.

Trump now faces nearly a dozen legal battles, including a criminal probe by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr into his business dealings, and several civil lawsuits. Trump has described investigations into his family business as politically motivated.

David Worley, the lone Democrat on Georgia’s state election board, had planned to introduce a motion at Wednesday’s board meeting urging state Attorney General Chris Carr and Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis to open a criminal investigation into Trump’s phone calls with election officials.

Worley said such a move was unnecessary now Raffensperger’s office had opened an investigation. “I won’t need to make my motion,” Worley told Reuters. “This is the normal thing that should happen when a complaint is filed. If a complaint is filed, an investigation is started, that’s how it works.”

Spokespeople for Carr and Willis did not reply to requests for comment.

Once the Secretary of State’s investigation is complete, the office’s investigations division will write a report and present it to the state election board, Worley said. The board will then decide if the matter is referred to the state attorney general or a local district attorney.

Willis, a Democrat, has held internal discussions about launching a criminal probe to investigate Trump’s alleged election interference, Reuters reported on Jan. 28, quoting people familiar with the matter.

In addition to the January phone call, Trump made another call in December to Georgia’s chief elections investigator, Raffensperger’s office has said. It wasn’t immediately clear if the December call would be included in the Secretary of State’s probe.

“The investigation will go where it needs to go,” said Jones. “It’s not like a prosecutor where you’re limited to the parameters of the complaint.”

“LEGAL PERILS
The push for investigations illustrates the legal perils facing Trump since he lost the constitutional protections that shield sitting presidents from prosecution.”

Gotdamnit, I thought this was Barr’s opinion. When did Barr achieve the power of Constitution ratification utterance? 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Fuck William Barr

And the poor republicans want this trial to stop so our poor country can begin healing.  I am sure there are convicted murderers on death row who wish the justice system would just forget about their case and get on with the healing.  Screw all these whining s.o.b.s who let this crap get started in the first place and now refuse to accept any of the responsibility.  Rot in HELL, all of you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

One of his courses is just a few minutes away by car (it's pretty nice.  I'm sure the resort also has reciprocal benefits with other nearby clubs though I doubt he plays there since the grift ain't the same.  I'm sure they'll put in a course near FAU where I still claim his Presidential "Library" will eventually be located.  Actually, I'm starting to think they just raise money for it, pocket most of it as "development costs", he dies, and then his legacy is preserved through a series of interactive kiosks at the Palm Beach Airport.  

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is going to be a repeat of early 2020; I may have to sit this one out. The first one was bad enough, but knowing that the videos that will be broadcast will never cross they eyeballs of those who need to be smacked upside the head with reality is just damned depressing.

The problem with this trial is that it is not an impartial jury - this is a fundraising event for the GOP

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

One of his courses is just a few minutes away by car (it's pretty nice.  I'm sure the resort also has reciprocal benefits with other nearby clubs though I doubt he plays there since the grift ain't the same.  I'm sure they'll put in a course near FAU where I still claim his Presidential "Library" will eventually be located.  Actually, I'm starting to think they just raise money for it, pocket most of it as "development costs", he dies, and then his legacy is preserved through a series of interactive kiosks at the Palm Beach Airport.  

The Library will be built and it will be exactly like one of those Creationist Museums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk