2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

2 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Sark getting paid........

Texas football: Steve Sarkisian's unprecedented contract features some incredible perks (msn.com)

The Texas Longhorns fired Tom Herman and ushered in a new era after hiring former Alabama Crimson Tide offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian as their new head coach. A season and national championship run with the Tide was all it took to rehabilitate Sarkisian's image after his stints with the Atlanta Falcons and USC Trojans didn't go so well.

The Longhorns got their man in Sarkisian but at what cost? Details of Sarkisian's unprecedented contract are emerging and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of commas.

Details regarding Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian's contract

According to the Texas Tribune, Sarkisian's guaranteed compensation will be approved by the UT Board of Regents later this week and it's unlike anything the program has ever seen. Sarkisian's contract is reportedly worth at least $5 million more than Herman's contract and $10 more than Charlie Strong.

The six-year contract worth almost at least almost $35 million. Sarkisian will make $5.2 million in his first season and is guaranteed a $200,000 raise each year. His contract also includes two dealership cars, 20 hours of private airplane use per year and a $250,000 relocation and temporary housing allowance.

If that wasn't enough, he'll also be the recipient of a one-time payment of $1.2 million if he is still head coach on Dec. 31, 2024. All funds will come from Texas Athletics, whose budget includes revenue from multiple sources including licensing, broadcasting rights, ticket sales, and donors.

Talk about a payday.

Hopefully, the funds and perks provided to Sarkisian will result in wins for the Texas football program in the near future. They certainly have a ton of questions to answer heading into the spring and as details of this contract emerge, the expectations are sure to be grand.

I realize there is a national narrative that we overspend for shit and still suck but acting like Sark's contract is "unprecedented" is just bad faith bullshit. Any other blue blood can (and will) pay their next big coaching hire the same benefits.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Actually they are going to go ahead and take both legs, just to be thorough

Doctor to Kerstetter after surgery:

Doc: Well young man, I have some good news and some bad news for you. Which do you want first?

Kerstetter: Better give me the bad news first.

Doc: Well, we amputated your left leg off below the knee but had a bit of a mix-up as it was your right leg that is injured.

Kerstetter: Damn! Oh my god! What news could possibly be good after that?

Doc: After further evaluation we have determined that the injuries to your right leg are not as severe as first diagnosed and it’s going to be just fine.

(Old joke, I’ll see myself out now.)

52 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Doc: Well, we amputated your left leg off below the knee but had a bit of a mix-up as it was your right leg that is injured.  Kerstetter: Damn! Oh my god! What news could possibly be good after that?  Doc: After further evaluation we have determined that the injuries to your right leg are not as severe as first diagnosed and it’s going to be just fine.   (Old joke, I’ll see myself out now.)

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/22/2021 at 10:11 PM, Huckleberry said:

That right there is a man who was born too soon. Offenses in his day didn't know how to use his kind of electric athleticism.

Metcalf was a better version of Reggie Bush. Played on shitty teams his whole career, for the most part. And yeah, ahead of his time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m pretty good with this shit normally, but I honestly have no idea what in the fuck this is saying. 

I'll give it a shot. Marcus is posing a question: Do you think I'm going to quit after I've worked so hard already?

The copyright sign is weird, but I'm going to interpret it as "cap," youthspeak for false. 

A pro-Texas message can be inferred by the fact that the attached pictures are of him in Texas gear, participating in offseason workouts. 

So, the whole translated tweet is, "Do you think I'm going to quit after I've worked so hard already? No way, Jose. All gas, no brakes motherfucker."

• Hook 'Em 7

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Metcalf was a better version of Reggie Bush. Played on shitty teams his whole career, for the most part. And yeah, ahead of his time. 

Thanks for posting this. That old (slow) film really doesn’t even do him justice as to how quick and sudden he was with his cuts. He had one in the Bluebonnet Bowl against Pitt where he just sprang 3 yards laterally, quick as a hiccup. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Yeah sorry I thought it would embed like the tweets do. I was hoping someone could post it, I don't have access either

I thought I posted it on the recruiting board (where it is much more relevant).

Spoiler

Billy Glasscock is Texas' newest director of player personnel. Glasscock is set to arrive in Austin today, and he does so as well or better prepared than any previous director of player personnel for the Longhorns. This year will be his 11th leading the player personnel efforts of a major college program.

He was head of personnel for Minnesota from 2011-2016 and NC State from 2017-2020. Yet unlike many player personnel directors, Glasscock is also a former coach, spending time at both the high school and junior college level before taking an off-field role at Northern Illinois.

In doing research on Glasscock for this story, I contacted several former and current assistants at Minnesota and NC State.

A common theme emerged.

Glasscock is considered thorough and a true professional dedicated to his craft.

"You'll like Billy," one former Minnesota coach told me. "He's not a politician. He's blue collar, with poise and knowledge."

"When I tell you that he is detailed, I mean he is very detailed," a NC State coach said. "He will stand on the table for kids and he'll have the info and data to back it up. He's not just some yes man for the assistant coaches. He really does the work."

Of course, liking someone or hearing about their prowess is one thing. But in recruiting and player personnel, the proof is in the pudding.

And frankly, that's where Glasscock stands out even more.

At Minnesota, Glasscock was forced to find players overlooked by other, bigger-name programs in an area of the country with fewer recruitable athletes than Texas, California or the Deep South.

All he did during his term in Minneapolis is find 10 players who went on to become NFL draft picks that no other Power 5 program offered a scholarship to until after Minnesota had offered first.

Case in point, Antoine Winfield Jr. of The Woodlands. Winfield was an All-American at Minnesota and made the NFL's all-rookie team playing for the Tampa Bay Bucs. Minnesota beat out Houston, Eastern Michigan and Lamar for his services. Teams like Missouri, Northwestern and Purdue offered later.

Likewise, there's Damien Wilson, a linebacker, who also just played in the Super Bowl for the Chiefs. Glasscock helped identify Wilson at Jones Junior College in Mississippi where the Golden Gophers beat out the likes of Florida International and Louisiana Tech for his signature.

Then there's Maxx Williams. The tight end from Wacoma, Minn., had not another Division I scholarship offer, yet Williams became the first tight end picked in the 2015 draft.

At Minnesota, Glasscock had to be resourceful. He signed a high school quarterback and the Gophers turned him into a defensive end, and he also ended up getting drafted. They signed a running back from Killeen Ellison, David Cobb, well after national signing day, and one again with no other Power 5 scholarship offers, that ended up later getting drafted.

Once Jerry Kill was not retained, Glasscock moved to NC State where he has continued to find players to make the Wolfpack competitive despite a lower profile compared to teams like North Carolina and Clemson in their own backyard.

According to an NFL scout, the Wolfpack have between 10-13 players in the next two seasons that are expected to be combine-invites, including offensive lineman Ikem Ekwonu, who Pro Football Focus graded out as one of the best linemen in the country, and a likely first or second round pick.

Who did the Wolfpack beat for his signature? Georgia Tech, Appalachian State, Charlotte and Harvard among others.

Glasscock was not Steve Sarkisian's first choice for the job. That was initially Drew Hughes, the former South Carolina player personnel director who was never cleared to go to Texas because of a pending investigation surrounding his time at Tennessee.

Yet, just as former Washington defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski wasn't Sark's first choice for the same role at Texas, being the second choice sometimes ends up being a better choice.

"(Texas) hit a home run with him," one current NC State assistant told me.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1