2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

14 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

231ccaeb57c390260e0c6d6061398f67.png
Marcus Washington’s Dad.

Casey is who most of us would want to start. Would be epic to see a kid from Oklahoma beat OU since they always seem to beat us with a QB or skilled position kid from Texas. Would also be nice to give those fuckers a taste of their own medicine. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 10:09 AM, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Texas hires former Maryland, Texas Tech OL Jajuan Dulaney as an offensive analyst

Wescott Eberts  19 hrs ago

The Texas Longhorns made another addition to head coach Steve Sarkisian’s support staff on Friday with the hire of former Houston Cougars graduate assistant Jajuan Dulaney as an offensive analyst.

Dulaney spent the last two seasons working for Dana Holgorsen and the Cougars after serving in a quality control position at Texas Tech following the end of his playing career.

A Georgia native, Dulaney signed with Maryland out of high school as an offensive lineman, playing in 13 games as a reserve before becoming a graduate transfer and landing in Lubbock. Dulaney played in five games for the Red Raiders, mostly as a reserve lineman and on special teams before becoming a blocking tight end late in the 2017 season.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:56 AM, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Reveal hidden contents

TEXAS IS EXPECTED TO ADD A FORMER 5-STAR

Ben Davis was the #10 nationally ranked player in the 2016 class. Out of Portho, AL, he unsurprisingly chose to stay in-state.

Things have not worked out for the linebacker due to injuries and lack of positional clarity. At Bama, even if you’re a five-star, you can get lost in the shuffle in a hurry. He’s expected to finish his career as a graduate transfer at Texas.

While the 6-foot-4, 240-pounder didn’t have a great fit at Bama as an ILB, he’ll potentially have two good ones in Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense. He could play the X-backer, the Jack-backer, or potentially both depending on the situation. He may even get a practice or two at ILB.

With a little time on the job, Steve Sarkisian, Kyle Flood, and Jeff Banks, have an idea of what they have on the roster, and also what they don’t. Davis is viewed as another option to help bolster the edge rush.

This staff has been proactive, already adding Ray Thornton from LSU who is working hard in Austin, and Ovie Oghoufo from Notre Dame who is set to join the program after the semester. Like Oghoufo, Davis is expected once Bama’s semester is completed.

At a minimum, adding real experience from winning programs (both Thornton and Davis have rings) at a need position is a big plus. But encouragingly, each guy offers some real upside at the position, and will allow Kwiatkowski to deploy two OLB’s more often in the pass-happy Big 12.

TEAM NOTES

*The quarterbacks throw three times a week, and spend as much time with Sarkisian in the film room as they’re allowed. Sark’s looking for the most polished guy to start. Both QBs, Casey Thompson and Hudson Card, are confident they can win the job. This is a friendly rivalry; these two like each other. Perhaps that helps when the difficult decision is ultimately made.

*Sark's focus on offense is precision with shifts, formations, and motions. With RPOs, there's an emphasis for receivers to win at the line of scrimmage. Guys have to be able to catch and block, but getting into their route tree is also an important factor.

*There isn't a defined depth chart just yet. When they do the team run, like they’re doing this morning, the team breaks up into 1s and 2s, and 3s and miscellaneous, but nothing is close to being set on the depth chart. There is going to be a lot of tinkering. Right now the coaches are still learning what these guys can do.

*Cornerback Darion Dunn looks like he belongs; he’s incredibly fluid in his movements. Wide receiver Kelvontay Dixon is filling out, which should help him beat press. There’s a good chance he plays quite a bit in 2021. Recall, IT had sources who thought he was the second best receiver in practices last year after Joshua Moore.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Previously we’ve mentioned the staff thinks the o-line has some workable parts. They think they can win with these guys, however the Texas OL room won’t be confused for Bama’s any time soon. That’s where the 2022 recruiting class comes into play.

Offensive tackle: In an effort to add length to left tackle, the staff will test Christian Jones on the blindside. He’s always had the frame and athleticism, but was on a longer developmental curve. Perhaps he’ll be a test case for just how good Kyle Flood is.

Andrej Karic will still get his shot at tackle but lack of length is a concern for the coaches, at least initially. They want to see him tested versus athletic pass rushers, of which Texas doesn’t have a lot of.

Isaiah Hookfin will get a look at tackle. IT was quite surprised when it learned Herb Hand wanted to play him at guard rather than tackle. This staff had a similar response.

Derek Kerstetter’s return adds depth whether he starts or not, and also versatility. On the hoof he doesn’t look like Jones or Hookfin, but he’s scrappy and can move his feet. He may be a guard, however.

Interior: Jake Majors might not have been a prospect Bama would have pursued but the staff thinks he can be a good player. While there aren’t a ton of players to test Karic at OT, there are numerous NFL players to help sharpen Majors.

As stated, there is no depth chart, but it’s safe to say both Majors and Junior Angilau are very likely to start at center and left guard respectively.

Tyler Johnson, one of the few guys on the roster who looks like a Bama player, is said to be thought of highly by the staff. He has the baseline traits and shows good effort.

Denzel Okafor, Tope Imade, and Rafiti Ghirmai will also add competition and/or depth.

The staff is going to have 10 guys capable of playing and around 7-8 capable of starting.

The talent is not Bama, but it’s not bad. And yeah, if they can find a starter in the portal, they’ll add one.

Christ Okafor is still here? He’s made it pretty clear the last 5 years that he sucks 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:20 AM, Machinator said:

Longhorns adding defensive analyst Cordae Hankton to Steve Sarkisian's staff

by Mike Roach   Feb 26, 8:56 AM

Steve Sarkisian has been looking for ways to add talented recruiters and coaches to his support staff, and his latest hire could help the Longhorns make an impact in Louisiana. Cordae Hankton joins the Texas staff as a defensive analyst coming over from Michigan State. A former safety at Jackson State University, Hankton pursued a career as a police officer before transitioning into coaching.

After graduating with a degree from Southern University in New Orleans, Hankton went to work at his alma mater Archbishop Rummel High School in New Orleans. Hankton then went on to be the defensive coordinator at John Ehret High School in Marrero (La.) before moving on to the college ranks. Mel Tucker hired him as an offensive graduate assistant, and he made the move with Tucker to East Lansing the following year as a defensive graduate assistant.

During his short time in the college ranks, Hankton has been able to use his high school connections in Louisiana to be an effective recruiter. During his time at Colorado, the Buffs were able to add New Orleans running back Ashaad Clayton who ranked within the Top247 and Top200 Composite nationally. In 2021, Michigan State was able to land Louisiana wide receiver Keon Coleman along with Florida transfer Chester Kimbrough who played his high school ball in New Orleans.

Hankton's brother Cortez Hankton serves on the Georgia staff as wide receivers coach and pass game coordinator. Cordae Hankton will serve mostly as a defensive analyst, but he will be able to serve as an on-campus recruiter and communicate with recruits over the phone and via Zoom. The Longhorns already made a move toward strengthening Louisiana ties when they hired Terry Joseph to be secondary coach.

While the Texas staff has been able to dip in and out of The Boot several times to find recruits, they should be more competitive in a bordering state with that type of talent.

The Longhorns have offered several Louisiana prospects in the 2022 class, including Ponchatoula (LA.) safety Jacoby Mathews, Baton Rouge (LA.) Istrouma Sr. running back Le'Veon Moss, Saint James (LA.) wide receiver Shazz Preston, and New Orleans (LA.) Warren Easton defensive tackle Shone Washington. 

In the past few cycles, Texas was able to land players like Casey Cain, Barryn Sorrell, Myron Warren, Michael Williams, Malcolm Roach, D'Andre Christmas and Gerald Wilbon to the roster from Louisiana.

Edited by LTtxfan

14 hours ago, maninblack said:

Sark isn't going to give a shit where the player is from Nu Nu

I honestly don't care who wins the competition. I feel like Card might, but if Casey does I would be totally happy with that. We can win with both guys, it is a good problem to have provided one doesnt hit the portal.

So... There usually is a little bit of that "in state smoke" at the QB position.

Herman did the same thing at osu. Kenny Guyton might have a better overall QB than Braxton Miller, but he wasn't going to take that spot and keep it. Young Texas kid wasnt going to overtake Mr Ohio Football...

Let's just see.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That was the worst lineman I have ever seen at the college level. Not even close. He is a serviceable backup, nothing wrong with that.

True. Point remains he’s looked like ass every year he’s been here. Maybe this year he finally breaks out!!

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Casey is who most of us would want to start. Would be epic to see a kid from Oklahoma beat OU since they always seem to beat us with a QB or skilled position kid from Texas. Would also be nice to give those fuckers a taste of their own medicine. 

so much of all of this . his father's arrest helped  end the switzer regime here's to casey helping end riley's  

• Hook 'Em 4

So... There usually is a little bit of that "in state smoke" at the QB position.

Herman did the same thing at osu. Kenny Guyton might have a better overall QB than Braxton Miller, but he wasn't going to take that spot and keep it. Young Texas kid wasnt going to overtake Mr Ohio Football...

Let's just see.
I have confidence that Sark, who has put in an unimaginable amount of work to rebuild be his career and now has the keys to one of the best jobs in college football, and whose return to head coaching is going to be evaluated very closely based on how he starts this season, is not going to bench the qb who he believes gives him the best shot to win quickly because he's not from Texas.

If Card starts, it will be because Sark thought he gave us the best chance to win. Likewise for Casey. Sark knows he needs to hold momentum and not lose it with a disappointing season. There's no time to waste on state politics. Just win.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

Let's just see.

Izzat you, Nu-Nu?

17 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I honestly don't care who wins the competition. I feel like Card might, but if Casey does I would be totally happy with that. We can win with both guys, it is a good problem to have provided one doesnt hit the portal.

I think Card would stay if he didn’t win the job, but I can’t see Thompson sticking around another year as a backup...especially after his bowl game.  
I feel Thompson has earned the right to get his shot, but I’d be OK with a quick hook at the first sign of trouble. 

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

I think Card would stay if he didn’t win the job, but I can’t see Thompson sticking around another year as a backup...especially after his bowl game.  
I feel Thompson has earned the right to get his shot, but I’d be OK with a quick hook at the first sign of trouble. 

After hearing an interview with Casey’s dad I think Casey will leave if he doesn’t start. I believe both Casey and his dad believe Casey is the best QB on the team and they felt that way last year as well. It sounds like Casey is ready for his opportunity and puts in a lot of extra work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Just between us, I heard once that Casey Thomas is from OK.

... and his Dad played some at 0U, even got his pic on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

But neither he nor his Dad ever got beat up by a group of midget wrestlers in the bathroom of a bar. Or so they, say.

• Haha 3