2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Of course we all know he finished his senior year at LT. However, what’s always worried me is the prior half decade he spent in a traveling carnival, barking for the Yak Woman. 

Someone had to fill the role of the Incredibly Tiny Handed Man and it wasn't going to be the gorilla

• Haha 1

I honestly don't know what the fuck any of you were watching if you think that he's not starting.

My only concern is the small sample size. If Thompson consistently plays that well, then absolutely he should start. If that was a fluke, or if he is hot and cold, then I could see Card getting a close look.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

My only concern is the small sample size. If Thompson consistently plays that well, then absolutely he should start. If that was a fluke, or if he is hot and cold, then I could see Card getting a close look.

That’s where I am; if he does that shit in practice every day it’s no decision at all. If the Alamo Bowl was his Jerrod Heard game vs Cal at DKR, whole different story...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Same. You don't get the nod based on 8 completions when you come in and the defense is already worried about your RB who is averaging 20 yards a carry.  He looked great but we've seen that before. For once I think there is no need to double guess the coach on this one.

20 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Same. You don't get the nod based on 8 completions when you come in and the defense is already worried about your RB who is averaging 20 yards a carry.  He looked great but we've seen that before. For once I think there is no need to double guess the coach on this one.

Its going to be fun to watch this staff utilize that RB every game this season instead of what we saw from the staff last year

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have confidence that Sark, who has put in an unimaginable amount of work to rebuild be his career and now has the keys to one of the best jobs in college football, and whose return to head coaching is going to be evaluated very closely based on how he starts this season, is not going to bench the qb who he believes gives him the best shot to win quickly because he's not from Texas.

If Card starts, it will be because Sark thought he gave us the best chance to win. Likewise for Casey. Sark knows he needs to hold momentum and not lose it with a disappointing season. There's no time to waste on state politics. Just win.
I agree. I was referring to Casey not playing last year, even when Sam was injured, etc... It happens... But I dont think that is going to be the case in 2021.
  • Like 1

I find this somewhat odd. Even if Thompson consistently played that well, who is to say Card wouldn't be consistently better? But from a stats perspective, that won consistently happen. And Card wouldn't outdo those numbers either.

I'm not sure how much one half impacts Sarks decision. The 9 months of work will. And as a frame of reference on Thompsons half. Greg Ward led the ol Houston Cougars to 28 4th quarter points in the game prior to Herman taking over. He did not become the greatest of all time. Card is and will get a look. I'd rather keep Card than Thompson if we were to lose one.

All that said, we're in a very solid to great position at QB. They'll for damn sure look better in this system.

I'm confident that whoever starts between Casey or Card will be a very good quarterback that is able to run Sark's system effectively and capitalize on some of the weapons we will have. I don't much care which of them gets the nod - if we can't put faith in Steve Sarkisian putting the right QB under center then it's going to be another long 3 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I want the best QB to win the job. I dont care if its Casey or Card. I want Texas to win and win big.

To respond to the earlier post, the hesitancy most have re Casey is what we saw in the bowl game against Colorado was unlike anything we had seen prior thereto. He had not looked like that in practice or scrimmages, games where he got in at the end, spring games, etc. So we have 1 half, closer to 1 quarter, where he looked phenomenal. I dont  think being cautious about Casey being able to do that in every game moving forward is wrong or stupid or mis-informed when it goes against everything prior to it.

But if you listen to Sam, to the prior coaches, and the practice reports, its been Card that has been lighting it up and showing the real talent and skill in the QB room, not Casey. Now I will be first to say that Casey looked a million times better than Card did in the Colorado game. 

I hope he can do it again. I hope he lights it up in every game next year just like Colorado. But if he doesnt, then I hope Card does. In the end, I just want Texas to go undefeated, kick the shit out of OU and TCU, win the Big12, goto the CFB playoffs, kick the shit out of tOSU and Alabama and win the National Championship game. I have small but reasonable expectations and requests.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Casey being good doesn't preclude Card being good

Plus I’d imagine we’d throw together some packages for Card. Like with John childs but it actually working 

Edited by Fletch

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

I want the best QB to win the job. I dont care if its Casey or Card. I want Texas to win and win big.

To respond to the earlier post, the hesitancy most have re Casey is what we saw in the bowl game against Colorado was unlike anything we had seen prior thereto. He had not looked like that in practice or scrimmages, games where he got in at the end, spring games, etc. So we have 1 half, closer to 1 quarter, where he looked phenomenal. I dont  think being cautious about Casey being able to do that in every game moving forward is wrong or stupid or mis-informed when it goes against everything prior to it.

But if you listen to Sam, to the prior coaches, and the practice reports, its been Card that has been lighting it up and showing the real talent and skill in the QB room, not Casey. Now I will be first to say that Casey looked a million times better than Card did in the Colorado game. 

I hope he can do it again. I hope he lights it up in every game next year just like Colorado. But if he doesnt, then I hope Card does. In the end, I just want Texas to go undefeated, kick the shit out of OU and TCU, win the Big12, goto the CFB playoffs, kick the shit out of tOSU and Alabama and win the National Championship game. I have small but reasonable expectations and requests.

You’re leaving out the dark horse. Charles Wright 

4 minutes ago, demos said:

Same guys that saw Bijan in practice right?

Sure. About whom they said:

Spoiler

“He’s a stud,” said a former Texas coach we’ll call Coach One. “He should’ve played more (in 2020). If we played him more, we might not have lost those games we lost. In those games we lost, we couldn’t run the ball. He has the size, the speed. He should’ve played more.”

“He makes a lot of things right,” said the former Texas coach hereafter referred to as Coach Two.

In the last two games of the year against Kansas State and Colorado, Robinson more than doubled his rushing totals for the season with 355 yards on just 19 carries, four of which went for touchdowns.

Another 2020 staffer, whom we’ll call Coach Three, described the 6-foot, 222-pound freshman as having “Christian McCaffrey ability.”

“What I love about him the most is how humble he is,” Coach Three said. “He’s one of the most impressive 18-year-olds you will ever meet. A guy with that type of hype, it’s rare to be so humble with a hunger to be great. And he probably had the best hands on the entire team. I’ll be very shocked if he didn’t win the Heisman one day.”

• Hook 'Em 1

But if you listen to Sam, to the prior coaches, and the practice reports, its been Card that has been lighting it up and showing the real talent and skill in the QB room, not Casey.

I mean, we’re not going to know shit until the spring, but if the prior coaching staff and $9.95 practice reports were all on Card, I’ll take Thompson.
  • Haha 2

Some weird takes in this thread. Casey got in the game and was finally able to actually run the offense and looked lights out. But some of you are hesitant on him winning the QB battle based on practice reports on Card? Practice? So some of you can have the opinion that Casey might have just had a "moment" when the lights were on, however you are more confident Cards alleged performance in practice will carry over. Yea ok. Just say it with your chest, you want Card to be QB1 regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Some weird takes in this thread. Casey got in the game and was finally able to actually run the offense and looked lights out. But some of you are hesitant on him winning the QB battle based on practice reports on Card? Practice? So some of you can have the opinion that Casey might have just had a "moment" when the lights were on, however you are more confident Cards alleged performance in practice will carry over. Yea ok. Just say it with your chest, you want Card to be QB1 regardless. 

I don't follow this thread religiously so I may be missing something, but who has said anything even approaching that. I'd say the 2 boats are "Casey is unimpeachable" and "Let's let spring play out"

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

And concluded Bijan needed 3.7 touches per game

Well then I guess every thought they've had that relates to football is wrong.

Sure. About whom they said:

Spoiler

“He’s a stud,” said a former Texas coach we’ll call Coach One. “He should’ve played more (in 2020). If we played him more, we might not have lost those games we lost. In those games we lost, we couldn’t run the ball. He has the size, the speed. He should’ve played more.”

“He makes a lot of things right,” said the former Texas coach hereafter referred to as Coach Two.

In the last two games of the year against Kansas State and Colorado, Robinson more than doubled his rushing totals for the season with 355 yards on just 19 carries, four of which went for touchdowns.

Another 2020 staffer, whom we’ll call Coach Three, described the 6-foot, 222-pound freshman as having “Christian McCaffrey ability.”

“What I love about him the most is how humble he is,” Coach Three said. “He’s one of the most impressive 18-year-olds you will ever meet. A guy with that type of hype, it’s rare to be so humble with a hunger to be great. And he probably had the best hands on the entire team. I’ll be very shocked if he didn’t win the Heisman one day.”

Looks like that’s two. So what did the others see that they didnt start him or play him that much. Point being, if the previous coaching staff was that good at evaluating talent and getting it on the field, they’d probably still have a job.
  • Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I don't follow this thread religiously so I may be missing something, but who has said anything even approaching that. I'd say the 2 boats are "Casey is unimpeachable" and "Let's let spring play out"

Well then I guess every thought they've had that relates to football is wrong.

Well, they did get fired.  

beat me to it.

Edited by cochamps

9 minutes ago, demos said:

Looks like that’s two. So what did the others see that they didnt start him or play him that much. Point being, if the previous coaching staff was that good at evaluating talent and getting it on the field, they’d probably still have a job.

Well... I don't know who the coaches from the article are. But I'm certain Drayton isn't one of them. And it's extremely unlikely TH is one. Maybe one of the four coaches interviewed was Yurcich. Otherwise it's ppl who I cannot imagine had a fucking thing to do with how much PT Bijan was getting.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There’s a good chance Wright comes in and splits time at least with Card. Wright has the intangibles that you just can’t teach. This is shaping up to be Applewhite Sims 2.0

I’ll be shocked if Casey sticks around after the showing Charles is gonna have this spring. Card better get used to playing slot 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I have a sneaking suspicion Card is going to be our guy next year. If we go into next season with Sark saying things like "We may play both of them" then you know Card will be the guy while they try to keep Thompson from hitting the portal. 
If Card can truly beat out Thompson, I'm ok with that...and Casey showed lots of promise for the future in the Alamo bowl. It's just wonderful having 2 viable options in a breaking in a new QB year.
  • Hook 'Em 2

People at oil companies don't wear suits lol. Attorneys or government would be a better example. 
Not full suits usually, but slacks, dress shirt and tie are the norm at headquarters. Depends on which oil company really, but no matter which one you choose it wont be like Silicon Valley companies..

Runs around $50K. And I am even more sure that’s a dealer car. 
And at that starting price is surprisingly competitive with similar but more expensive stuff from Mercedes, Audi and BMW. Not too surprising when you consider Hyundai/Kia hired away the lead designer at Audi, former head of the M division at BMW, dude who did the Corvette suspension from GM and other big names.