2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does anyone have the percentage of snaps that Bama had under for 2020 and 2019?

Htownhorn is just spouting nonsense again.  Sark does use under center some, usually in goal line situations. I haven’t seen a service that counts that for college, but the vast majority of their plays are in shotgun.

Unpopular opinion incoming but center is the one spot on the line where we should feel the best about in a long time. Majors looks the part and has 4 more years of eligibility. Kerstetter, while not being ideal, is capable of filling in that void should [knocks on wood] anything happen to Majors. Who knows with Rafiti but there's still plenty of time for plans C-Z. 

If anything, it's tackle where depth concerns lye. We've taken too many developmental and swing guys that turn out to just be athletic guards. Jones' trajectory is very important in this regard. He's got the feet and size for tackle, just limited playing experience. Karic,  I'm fairly bullish on. Like Majors, he more than handled his own and looks to be a(n almost) lock for LT. 

Either way, we're fortunate enough to have one of the best in business to figure all this out in Kyle Flood. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Unpopular opinion incoming but center is the one spot on the line where we should feel the best about in a long time. Majors looks the part and has 4 more years of eligibility. Kerstetter, while not being ideal, is capable of filling in that void should [knocks on wood] anything happen to Majors. Who knows with Rafiti but there's still plenty of time for plans C-Z. 

If anything, it's tackle where depth concerns lye. We've taken too many developmental and swing guys that turn out to just be athletic guards. Jones' trajectory is very important in this regard. He's got the feet and size for tackle, just limited playing experience. Karic,  I'm fairly bullish on. Like Majors, he more than handled his own and looks to be a(n almost) lock for LT. 

Either way, we're fortunate enough to have one of the best in business to figure all this out in Kyle Flood. 

I’m not for sure penciling Kerstetter anywhere just yet.  That’s a hell of an injury he’s going to be coming back from. 

10 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’m not for sure penciling Kerstetter anywhere just yet.  That’s a hell of an injury he’s going to be coming back from. 

Oh for sure and I haven't. I'm just pointing out the difference between years past where the backup is someone that has never taken a snap. No, Kerstetter isn't ideal for the position but at least he's had plenty of live reps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

While it was a bad injury, I believe the recovery time was said to be about 4-5 months, so it’s quicker than an ACL, even if more severe. Point being, the silver lining is the staff should know by this summer how he’s recovering and have time to adjust if his recovery doesn’t go smoothly. 

It's an extremely small sample size thus far, but I've got high hopes for Andrej Karic. He's still young, but I believe he has access to that black hearted hate filled streak that's essential to playing OL. The position is painful, miserable, and you only hear your name called when you do it wrong. To compensate, an OL has to have a borderline criminal disposition whilst wearing shoulder pads that's only temporarily calmed by slamming another human into the ground. I'm not predicting he's the starting LT, but if he isn't, then the LT is going to be very good indeed.

Angry people win football games. Kasey Studdard had it. So did Connor Williams. I'm ready to see it in Karic.

• Hook 'Em 2

One potential rising star in 2021 for each Big 12 football program

TEXAS: CASEY THOMPSON, QB

With Sam Ehlinger off to pursue a professional football career, starting quarterback duties may very well go in Thompson's direction if how he performed in relief of Ehinger during the Alamo Bowl in December served as any indication of what's to come. While Thompson only passed for 170 yards in that game, he completed 8 of 10 passes -- half of those completions went for touchdowns -- as Texas cruised to a 55-23 victory vs. Colorado. He'll have to battle with former 4-star prospect Hudson Card through the offseason before anything is solidified, but the arrival of head coach Steve Sarkisian on the 40-acres has the potential to help propel Thompson into stardom after what Sarkisian previously accomplished with the talent in Tuscaloosa as Alabama's offensive coordinator.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/big-12-football-2021-potential-rising-stars-casey-thompson-tyler-shough-zach-evans-wanya-morris-162043797/#162043797_1

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Crazy that he was the 2nd ranked Center in his class. I audited a class that he and Johnathan Grey were in. They weren't the brightest tools in the shed.

Pure centers in high school are usually pretty shitty in college - Center rankings are worthless.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

If the center spot is as big of a concern as being spitballed here, why not make use of the portal to fix it?

It's like QB, there's only good one with real experience per team.

Cincy's is probably the best on the market but is he better than Majors and worth the counter? Eh.

Edited by texifornia

33 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

If the center spot is as big of a concern as being spitballed here, why not make use of the portal to fix it?

Just spitballing here. But to add on to thunderlounge’s idea, why don’t we just use the portal to improve at ALL positions? Also, why not just get all the best recruits in the country from the get go???? Has anybody emailed Sark these ideas??????!!!!?????

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Just spitballing here. But to add on to thunderlounge’s idea, why don’t we just use the portal to improve at ALL positions? Also, why not just get all the best recruits in the country from the get go???? Has anybody emailed Sark these ideas??????!!!!?????

I emailed him a couple of weeks ago with that very idea. His response:

"Great idea. That kind of out-of-the-box thinking is what makes this university the best. We'll implement it as soon as I can share it with the staff. All gas baby!"

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

See, now this guy can smell the sarcasm. 

On 3/8/2021 at 1:42 AM, Nope said:

You must not remember Jake Raulerson

Uh, Mr. Raulerson, do you remember when you started at Right Tackle against Arkansas in that bowl game and we only had 57 yards in total offense?

Chris Farley Show | Meme Generator

That wasn't very awesome.

Edited by BornOrange
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Uh, Mr. Raulerson, do you remember when you started at Right Tackle against Arkansas in that bowl game and we only had 57 yards in total offense?

We need a laughing, changing to crying emoji.

spacer.png

23 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

While it was a bad injury, I believe the recovery time was said to be about 4-5 months, so it’s quicker than an ACL, even if more severe. Point being, the silver lining is the staff should know by this summer how he’s recovering and have time to adjust if his recovery doesn’t go smoothly. 

Physically he should be fine.  He’s got time to heal and go though a good rehab program.  I’d be more worried mentally.  Gotta wonder what his mentality will be stepping back into the minefield that is the trenches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Physically he should be fine.  He’s got time to heal and go though a good rehab program.  I’d be more worried mentally.  Gotta wonder what his mentality will be stepping back into the minefield that is the trenches. 

I know I would be more comfortable at RT than Guard or Center.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Remember when that bitch grad transferred to Arkansas and only started 8 games in 2 years? 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:06 AM, SuckitKevin said:

I’m surprised we’re still not hearing much about Tyler Johnson. Was he that overrated?

I had heard he didn't do conditioning while on his own in the off-season. And came back in seriously out of shape. 

Coming hack.from that as a big man takes time. 

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

I had heard he didn't do conditioning while on his own in the off-season. And came back in seriously out of shape. 

Coming hack.from that as a big man takes time. 

He looked serviceable in the bowl game but I’m not sure about the talent he was going against 

Spring position battle talk:

Spoiler

Joe Cook:

Spring football, robbed from almost every FBS program a year ago, makes a triumphant return in Austin on March 23. Several major positions on offense are up for grabs entering Steve Sarkisian's first year, including quarterback, spots along the offensive line, and tight end.

Other positions like running back, wide receiver, and two O-line spots have more clarity. Bijan Robinson should be RB1, with Roschon Johnson serving as RB1a in some respect. Junior Angilau has carved out a spot on the offensive line at one of the guard spots, and though Sarkisian and Kyle Flood were not the coaches who put Angilau into the starting lineup, the fourth-year player has started 24 games over the last two seasons and should be difficult to unseat.

With regards to Jake Majors, other candidates for center may not exist save for Derek Kerstetter, who is likely better deployed elsewhere on the line.

The topline receivers include Joshua Moore, Jordan Whittington, and Jake Smith, with Troy Omeire likely joining that group. His injury and yet-to-be-cleared status make it hard to put him in that cluster quite yet, but his reported performance from last year’s preseason camp makes it difficult to envision he won’t join that trio once he’s 100%.

Quarterback is the main battle, but other positions will draw close scrutiny over 15 spring practices from coaches and fans alike.

Quarterback
List of candidates: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card

The competition to succeed Sam Ehlinger will be the most talked-about subject regarding the football team this spring. Thompson, a fourth-year player from Oklahoma, left a hell of an impression during the Alamo Bowl with his explosive passing performance. Card, a second-year player from Lake Travis, enters with a well-regarded passing pedigree but little evidence of it during the course of an FBS football game.

Sarkisian has overseen quarterback battles in his past, and there is not much of a pattern regarding when he wants to make a decision. As with any major call, in athletics or otherwise, a decision is unlikely to be made until Sarkisian feels he has accumulated all necessary information needed to make a determination.

Tight end
List of candidates: Cade Brewer, Jared Wiley, Malcolm Epps, Brayden Liebrock, Gunnar Helm, Juan Davis

Brewer’s return for a fifth season, Epps’ transition from receiver to tight end, and the arrival of two true freshman will give the traditional and talented tight end duo of Jared Wiley and Brayden Liebrock competition.

Brewer brings experience to a position where it is a major benefit to be physically mature, but he has put together few, if any, spectacular performances in a Longhorn uniform. Wiley showed immense promise last year, but never broke through as THE tight end despite more big play ability.

Epps, Liebrock, and perhaps one of the freshmen could benefit as Sarkisian has experience utilizing flex tight ends.

In addition to an every down tight tend, Sarkisian likes using different types for different roles, whether it be mainly blocking or receiving. He’ll be seeking a rotation for each one of those roles.

Left and right tackle
List of candidates: Christian Jones, Andrej Karic, Isaiah Hookfin, Tope Imade, Jaylen Garth, Derek Kerstetter, Tyler Johnson

Replacing Sam Cosmi is a task in and of itself. Replacing him while also breaking in a new quarterback is an additional complication. As Inside Texas has long proclaimed, offensive linemen are tackles until they aren’t.

Karic and Jones may have a small leg up due to their respective starts at left and right tackle in the Alamo Bowl. Johnson should benefit from being engaged with the program rather than homebound as he was during quarantine. Garth, Hookfin, and Kerstetter are moving further and further from their injuries. Imade is a mature athlete and likely won’t be at the gargantuan 350 pounds he was listed at last year.

Inside Texas has emphasized how tackle is a premium position, especially in Sarkisian’s dropback, play action offense. Finding the right duo on the edge of the offensive line will be an exhaustive process considering the options available.

Offensive guard
List of candidates: Tope Imade, Derek Kerstetter, Tyler Johnson, Isaiah Hookfin, Rafiti Ghirmai, Denzel Okafor, Logan Parr

Many of the candidates for tackle are also in the competition for the single guard spot, assuming Angilau continues to hold down one of the guard positions.

There is experience with Imade, Kerstetter, and Okafor. Much about their level of play is known.

Hookfin seemed to be destined to start until a shoulder injury undid his 2020 season. How he is able to perform throughout the spring could determine if he returns to the starting conversation.

Johnson started at right guard during the Alamo Bowl and could use that performance as a springboard into living up to his near five-star evaluation in 2019. Ghirmai could factor back into the center conversation, at least as a back-up.

Parr is mostly unknown save for a few snaps when the Alamo Bowl was in hand.

Nothing earth shattering but it's football talk. Basically highlights qb, te, and most of the ol. 

We will see about TE. I think most here would be pretty surprised to see Brewer earn the majority of the snaps there next season.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I think most here would be pretty surprised to see Brewer earn the majority of the snaps there next season.

you have to hope that sark will do the right thing here. the smart thing.  if brewer is starting over wiley I am just going to snap. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Bijan Robinson should be RB1, with Roschon Johnson serving as RB1a

Roschon being looked at as "1a" by the last staff is what got Bijan 1 total carry in the 2nd quarter of the Alamo bowl where the offense completely bogged down. In the last four games of the season, the difference in scoring rate between when Bijan was in and Roschon was in is astounding. The last two games Bijan scored a TD on every fourth touch. 

Under Sark, there is no world where Bijan is healthy and Roschon takes carries away from him. Roschon is going to be clear RB2--he'll sub in every third series to give Bijan a rest. In '20 Bama, Najee Harris had 250 carries, Robinson (next highest back) had 90 carries. In the SEC championship with 40 total rushing attempts, Najee had 31 carries, Robinson had 4. 

It's going to be AGNB with Bijan. 

• Hook 'Em 4