2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

3 hours ago, OB3 said:

Any info about what overshown surgery’s for? 

I must have missed this. Was he injured recently or during the season? IIRC, he missed some action in 2019 with a shoulder injury and 2020 with an ankle injury. 

(Eric Nahlin) Spring Roster Audit: Offense
Spoiler

Brenden Schooler is moving to safety where he fared well as a freshman in Eugene. The best utility of spring ball, besides the install of offense and defense, will be the staff getting a good idea of what the players can and can’t do. Maybe we’ll see more position switches. In the meantime, let’s look at what these guys can do.
Quarterbacks are quarterbacks, though Casey Thompson is a well-spoken athlete who reminds of Vince Young and Hudson Card is a gritty gamer gym rat Steve Largent. Charles Wright too. Wait, that might actually fit.
Running Back
Bijan Robinson: From a CFB perspective, the most talented Longhorn since...Colt? There’s not much he can’t do. His greatest strength to me is his ability to ignore the type of contact that significantly slows or stops other ball carriers. We’ll see more of his ability as a receiver this year.
Roschon Johnson: Love his versatility. He’s probably more comfortable hitting an immediate downhill lane than showing patience, but he’s still learning the position. Good hands, good blocker.
Daniel Young and Gabe Watson: Young could conceivably carve out a role in short yardage, though Bijan and Roschon run with urgency and power so maybe not. These guys will be depth.
Wide Receiver
Jake Smith: As a recruit he was versatile and explosive but as @rodofdisaster noted over beers yesterday, he’s become a bit stiff at Texas. I still think he has both vertical slot and slot machine attributes. Along with Bijan and a quarterback to be named later, he should become one of the three points in the triangle RPO offense. He’s fast enough to play Z also.
Jordan Whittington: He’s a slot machine with enough wiggle and burst to take short passes a long way. He’s a better route-runner than we’ve seen thus far but his strength is getting the ball in space and making something happen. More slot-specific than Smith. Obligatory: needs to stay healthy.
Josh Moore: I think he’s more dangerous after the catch than we’ve seen. Sometimes that’s a function of scheming. He has shown the ability to climb the ladder and make contested catches. The threat of Bijan will make it easier to get behind defenses. I like him at Z but he could be a slot, or a guy the coaches elect to move around. He’s a slippery dude but needs to get stronger.
Troy Omeire: He’s a boundary X receiver but he could be used creatively to help convert 3rd and medium. He’s a big, strong receiver but also has surprising speed. He doesn’t just win with size and an absurd catch radius, though he does that too. Alpha mindset.
Kelvontay Dixon: Like Moore, he can play inside and out, but the best use of his speed is on the outside. HOWEVA, he creates separation with his route running and could easily profile to the slot. Billy Pittman was the high school evaluation but Dixon has the potential to be more well-rounded. Needs to get stronger.
Marcus Washington: I keep predicting a breakout for a player I liked quite a bit in high school (funny how bias works) but I’m not seeing the consistency out of him I’d like. He‘s an X but will need to keep refining his route running to beat man coverage. He can’t reliably win with size or speed.
Al’Vonte Woodard: He can play any of the three receiver positions but has bodies in front of him at each spot. He has a good, strong frame and reliable hands, but the speed he was known for early in his recruitment isn’t a differentiator. He’s on Gaskamp watch nevertheless.
Kai Money: Money played admirably given his 12th Man talent level. I’m not sure we see much of him in the Sark era but he can provide depth at slot.
Jaden Alexis: Speed and strength gives him real upside. Can be a vertical slot or slot machine. He could probably even play running back like his father, Rich. If the veterans in front of him don’t perform, he’ll be ready to give it a go.
Kennedy Lewis: Athletic with solid hands. Lewis has ideal size and speed for Z. His problems have been more in the classroom. This is a big spring for him. A new staff means a new lease on life. He needs to take advantage.
Dajon Harrison: He got hurt, then opted out of the season so he’s a bit of a mystery. He was dynamic as a recruit with the ability to play corner in addition to receiver. A position switch wouldn’t be too surprising based on his ability.
Tight End
Jared Wiley: He’s a dual-threat as a blocker and receiver, but how good or great he is at each remains to be seen. He’s a willing blocker and quality receiving threat but there’s still a lot of growth left in him in each regard. Part of the eval was him being on a longer developmental curve. He’s right on schedule. He’ll see the most snaps of all the tight ends thanks to his versatility. NFL player.
Cade Brewer: Really more of a traditional H-back than tight end, especially after the injury he suffered as a freshman limited his athleticism as a receiver. Should be a value add in 12 personnel but he’s not the best option for 11 personnel.
Brayden Liebrock: “We like him,” said a source last year. That didn’t answer my question of why he wasn’t playing more. Tom Herman taking projects at tight end when his scheme was co-dependent on them was....dumb. But Liebrock is a real talent and Sark stands to benefit from Herman’s miscalculation. Liebrock could become a real weapon in 12 personnel or 11 when flexed out. He’s not a great in-line blocker and probably never will be, but if he becomes serviceable it makes him really tough to not play him. Sark likes his specific fits at tight end and it’s not hard to see Liebrock carving out a niche as a flexed TE like Jahleel Billngsley at Bama. Billingsley was a chain mover in the passing game.
Malcolm Epps: Epps is another receiving TE who could make 12 personnel rather dangerous, or 11 if he’s not asked to win blocks. We’ve heard whispers he may elect to transfer after he graduates in May but it’s encouraging he’s still with the team. A creative OC finds ways for Epps to hurt you while not asking too much of him as a blocker.
Gunnar Helm: Helm should be the heir apparent to Wiley as a do-it-all TE, especially if Ja’Tavion Sanders plays defense, but it remains to be seen how good he is as a receiver and blocker. He can be adequate at each, but can be good at one or both roles? As we’ve reported, he’s impressed in the weight room and on the field in agility drills. Good early signs.
Juan Davis: It’s hard to have a clear read on Davis, but my strong suspicion is he can be ultra-Brewer as a dangerous H-back. You want him as a secondary blocker on bigs or a primary blocker on back-seven defenders in space or on arc blocks. He’s a guy they’ll motion around. He has tremendous hands so don’t sleep on him as a receiver. Since the second he committed I’ve wondered about him as an OLB. If he ever moved to defense he’d be an X-backer.
Offensive Line
Derek Kerstetter: I don’t see him winning a tackle spot in 2021 and I’m not sure he has the size, strength, and upside as some of the contenders at guard. But I’m hyped he elected to return because he helps set a higher floor on the o-line. If he’s not starting next year, it tells you a lot about the o-line. If he has an NFL position, it’s as a center, and yes I’m aware of his struggles last year. The younger tackles are going to have to compete to unseat Kerstetter.
Denzel Okafor: My sentiments on Okafor echo Kerstetter. He may start at guard but he’s going to have to hold off younger talent with more upside. If he gets beat out it’ll say good things about the overall quality of the guards. I’ve always felt he could be a really good guard. Maybe Flood unlocks something. Could be an emergency tackle.
Junior Angilau: The light might have started to come on later in the 2020 season for Angilau. Flood will have to work on his pass-pro but the new OL coach will find a game-run blocker with the sort of attitude he’s accustomed to working with in Tuscaloosa. Angilau is a very likely starter at guard but he’ll have to compete and earn it.
Christian Jones: From a traits standpoint, he’s an NFL starter kit but his tape still has a long way to go. His awareness in picking up stunts or blitzes has been lacking. He still thinks too much which limits both his athleticism and physicality. The staff will try him out at left tackle, which makes sense when you see him in person. He has to become much more reliable on the field before you trust the quarterback’s blindside to him. Too bad the roster doesn’t have Joseph Ossai on it to test Jones’ progress.
Andrej Karic: The staff is going to do all it can to develop Jones but part of me thinks Karic will end up winning the LT job thanks to consistency. He’s like a stud version of Kerstetter. He has length limitations but his feet and fight help him get by. He does have good quickness. With more S&C he could be a stud guard, especially in a scheme that gets him on the move. If he did end up at guard, that will speak volumes about the tackles.
Isaiah Hookfin: We know he can be a good guard, but there’s a chance he can also become a good tackle. Tackle upside will be explored this spring. The current staff is wondering why he wasn’t played at tackle. In addition, tackle was the high school eval.
Jake Majors: Excellent high school tackle tape and a Stanford brain to boot, but length limitations forced him to center. He’ll struggle 1-on-1 with bigs like Keondre Coburn and T’Vondre Sweat, but that’s not only a Jake Majors issue. Big spring for him as he has a new offense to learn — we tend to put that learning curve more on quarterbacks — but he has the aptitude to pick things up quickly.
Tyler Johnson: Late in the 2020 campaign we began to see signs of Johnson’s tantalizing ability. He’s a tackle athlete but in a guard body. Seeing him with the quickness to make tough reach blocks was encouraging. For the OL to reach its ceiling, Johnson needs to emerge as a starter and future draft pick. Could be an emergency tackle.
Tope Imade: He could start at guard and not look out of place. He’s a bit heavy footed but can be an effective drive blocker. There is a lot of competition at guard and it will be difficult to win playing time but it goes to show you how improved things are since the 2017 season.
Rafiti Ghirmai: He’s bounced around the line in his time in Austin. Guard seems to be the natural fit and there is still some upside to him at that position. He wouldn’t be out of place if thrown into a game. We’ve heard him called physical in the past.
Jaylen Garth: Injuries have robbed Garth of developmental time but the staff still has him penciled in at left tackle. We’ll be interested to hear how he looks this spring. He was limited most of last season.
Logan Parr: Length limitations make him guard specific, though he could potentially learn center as well. The roster does need a long-term backup plan at center.
Hayden Conner: The early enrollee is slated for guard. There’s a quality combination of size and athleticism for Flood to work with.
*Quick note: We’ve heard the new staff is intrigued by Max Merrill’s high school tape. Would he be a guy at Bama? No. Is he a piece they can work with at Texas? Yes.

I thought Schooler was coming back?

3 minutes ago, Modessit said:
11 hours ago, Machinator said:
(Eric Nahlin) Spring Roster Audit: Offense
Spoiler
  Hide contents

Brenden Schooler is moving to safety where he fared well as a freshman in Eugene. The best utility of spring ball, besides the install of offense and defense, will be the staff getting a good idea of what the players can and can’t do. Maybe we’ll see more position switches. In the meantime, let’s look at what these guys can do.
Quarterbacks are quarterbacks, though Casey Thompson is a well-spoken athlete who reminds of Vince Young and Hudson Card is a gritty gamer gym rat Steve Largent. Charles Wright too. Wait, that might actually fit.
Running Back
Bijan Robinson: From a CFB perspective, the most talented Longhorn since...Colt? There’s not much he can’t do. His greatest strength to me is his ability to ignore the type of contact that significantly slows or stops other ball carriers. We’ll see more of his ability as a receiver this year.
Roschon Johnson: Love his versatility. He’s probably more comfortable hitting an immediate downhill lane than showing patience, but he’s still learning the position. Good hands, good blocker.
Daniel Young and Gabe Watson: Young could conceivably carve out a role in short yardage, though Bijan and Roschon run with urgency and power so maybe not. These guys will be depth.
Wide Receiver
Jake Smith: As a recruit he was versatile and explosive but as @rodofdisaster noted over beers yesterday, he’s become a bit stiff at Texas. I still think he has both vertical slot and slot machine attributes. Along with Bijan and a quarterback to be named later, he should become one of the three points in the triangle RPO offense. He’s fast enough to play Z also.
Jordan Whittington: He’s a slot machine with enough wiggle and burst to take short passes a long way. He’s a better route-runner than we’ve seen thus far but his strength is getting the ball in space and making something happen. More slot-specific than Smith. Obligatory: needs to stay healthy.
Josh Moore: I think he’s more dangerous after the catch than we’ve seen. Sometimes that’s a function of scheming. He has shown the ability to climb the ladder and make contested catches. The threat of Bijan will make it easier to get behind defenses. I like him at Z but he could be a slot, or a guy the coaches elect to move around. He’s a slippery dude but needs to get stronger.
Troy Omeire: He’s a boundary X receiver but he could be used creatively to help convert 3rd and medium. He’s a big, strong receiver but also has surprising speed. He doesn’t just win with size and an absurd catch radius, though he does that too. Alpha mindset.
Kelvontay Dixon: Like Moore, he can play inside and out, but the best use of his speed is on the outside. HOWEVA, he creates separation with his route running and could easily profile to the slot. Billy Pittman was the high school evaluation but Dixon has the potential to be more well-rounded. Needs to get stronger.
Marcus Washington: I keep predicting a breakout for a player I liked quite a bit in high school (funny how bias works) but I’m not seeing the consistency out of him I’d like. He‘s an X but will need to keep refining his route running to beat man coverage. He can’t reliably win with size or speed.
Al’Vonte Woodard: He can play any of the three receiver positions but has bodies in front of him at each spot. He has a good, strong frame and reliable hands, but the speed he was known for early in his recruitment isn’t a differentiator. He’s on Gaskamp watch nevertheless.
Kai Money: Money played admirably given his 12th Man talent level. I’m not sure we see much of him in the Sark era but he can provide depth at slot.
Jaden Alexis: Speed and strength gives him real upside. Can be a vertical slot or slot machine. He could probably even play running back like his father, Rich. If the veterans in front of him don’t perform, he’ll be ready to give it a go.
Kennedy Lewis: Athletic with solid hands. Lewis has ideal size and speed for Z. His problems have been more in the classroom. This is a big spring for him. A new staff means a new lease on life. He needs to take advantage.
Dajon Harrison: He got hurt, then opted out of the season so he’s a bit of a mystery. He was dynamic as a recruit with the ability to play corner in addition to receiver. A position switch wouldn’t be too surprising based on his ability.
Tight End
Jared Wiley: He’s a dual-threat as a blocker and receiver, but how good or great he is at each remains to be seen. He’s a willing blocker and quality receiving threat but there’s still a lot of growth left in him in each regard. Part of the eval was him being on a longer developmental curve. He’s right on schedule. He’ll see the most snaps of all the tight ends thanks to his versatility. NFL player.
Cade Brewer: Really more of a traditional H-back than tight end, especially after the injury he suffered as a freshman limited his athleticism as a receiver. Should be a value add in 12 personnel but he’s not the best option for 11 personnel.
Brayden Liebrock: “We like him,” said a source last year. That didn’t answer my question of why he wasn’t playing more. Tom Herman taking projects at tight end when his scheme was co-dependent on them was....dumb. But Liebrock is a real talent and Sark stands to benefit from Herman’s miscalculation. Liebrock could become a real weapon in 12 personnel or 11 when flexed out. He’s not a great in-line blocker and probably never will be, but if he becomes serviceable it makes him really tough to not play him. Sark likes his specific fits at tight end and it’s not hard to see Liebrock carving out a niche as a flexed TE like Jahleel Billngsley at Bama. Billingsley was a chain mover in the passing game.
Malcolm Epps: Epps is another receiving TE who could make 12 personnel rather dangerous, or 11 if he’s not asked to win blocks. We’ve heard whispers he may elect to transfer after he graduates in May but it’s encouraging he’s still with the team. A creative OC finds ways for Epps to hurt you while not asking too much of him as a blocker.
Gunnar Helm: Helm should be the heir apparent to Wiley as a do-it-all TE, especially if Ja’Tavion Sanders plays defense, but it remains to be seen how good he is as a receiver and blocker. He can be adequate at each, but can be good at one or both roles? As we’ve reported, he’s impressed in the weight room and on the field in agility drills. Good early signs.
Juan Davis: It’s hard to have a clear read on Davis, but my strong suspicion is he can be ultra-Brewer as a dangerous H-back. You want him as a secondary blocker on bigs or a primary blocker on back-seven defenders in space or on arc blocks. He’s a guy they’ll motion around. He has tremendous hands so don’t sleep on him as a receiver. Since the second he committed I’ve wondered about him as an OLB. If he ever moved to defense he’d be an X-backer.
Offensive Line
Derek Kerstetter: I don’t see him winning a tackle spot in 2021 and I’m not sure he has the size, strength, and upside as some of the contenders at guard. But I’m hyped he elected to return because he helps set a higher floor on the o-line. If he’s not starting next year, it tells you a lot about the o-line. If he has an NFL position, it’s as a center, and yes I’m aware of his struggles last year. The younger tackles are going to have to compete to unseat Kerstetter.
Denzel Okafor: My sentiments on Okafor echo Kerstetter. He may start at guard but he’s going to have to hold off younger talent with more upside. If he gets beat out it’ll say good things about the overall quality of the guards. I’ve always felt he could be a really good guard. Maybe Flood unlocks something. Could be an emergency tackle.
Junior Angilau: The light might have started to come on later in the 2020 season for Angilau. Flood will have to work on his pass-pro but the new OL coach will find a game-run blocker with the sort of attitude he’s accustomed to working with in Tuscaloosa. Angilau is a very likely starter at guard but he’ll have to compete and earn it.
Christian Jones: From a traits standpoint, he’s an NFL starter kit but his tape still has a long way to go. His awareness in picking up stunts or blitzes has been lacking. He still thinks too much which limits both his athleticism and physicality. The staff will try him out at left tackle, which makes sense when you see him in person. He has to become much more reliable on the field before you trust the quarterback’s blindside to him. Too bad the roster doesn’t have Joseph Ossai on it to test Jones’ progress.
Andrej Karic: The staff is going to do all it can to develop Jones but part of me thinks Karic will end up winning the LT job thanks to consistency. He’s like a stud version of Kerstetter. He has length limitations but his feet and fight help him get by. He does have good quickness. With more S&C he could be a stud guard, especially in a scheme that gets him on the move. If he did end up at guard, that will speak volumes about the tackles.
Isaiah Hookfin: We know he can be a good guard, but there’s a chance he can also become a good tackle. Tackle upside will be explored this spring. The current staff is wondering why he wasn’t played at tackle. In addition, tackle was the high school eval.
Jake Majors: Excellent high school tackle tape and a Stanford brain to boot, but length limitations forced him to center. He’ll struggle 1-on-1 with bigs like Keondre Coburn and T’Vondre Sweat, but that’s not only a Jake Majors issue. Big spring for him as he has a new offense to learn — we tend to put that learning curve more on quarterbacks — but he has the aptitude to pick things up quickly.
Tyler Johnson: Late in the 2020 campaign we began to see signs of Johnson’s tantalizing ability. He’s a tackle athlete but in a guard body. Seeing him with the quickness to make tough reach blocks was encouraging. For the OL to reach its ceiling, Johnson needs to emerge as a starter and future draft pick. Could be an emergency tackle.
Tope Imade: He could start at guard and not look out of place. He’s a bit heavy footed but can be an effective drive blocker. There is a lot of competition at guard and it will be difficult to win playing time but it goes to show you how improved things are since the 2017 season.
Rafiti Ghirmai: He’s bounced around the line in his time in Austin. Guard seems to be the natural fit and there is still some upside to him at that position. He wouldn’t be out of place if thrown into a game. We’ve heard him called physical in the past.
Jaylen Garth: Injuries have robbed Garth of developmental time but the staff still has him penciled in at left tackle. We’ll be interested to hear how he looks this spring. He was limited most of last season.
Logan Parr: Length limitations make him guard specific, though he could potentially learn center as well. The roster does need a long-term backup plan at center.
Hayden Conner: The early enrollee is slated for guard. There’s a quality combination of size and athleticism for Flood to work with.
*Quick note: We’ve heard the new staff is intrigued by Max Merrill’s high school tape. Would he be a guy at Bama? No. Is he a piece they can work with at Texas? Yes.

I thought Schooler was coming back?

how much of the spoiler did you read?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Defense? @Thiefery

12 hours ago, westexhorn said:

6 months?? wow...

Hopefully that doesn’t derail him too much in adding the offseason weight he needed to add. Guess he should be able to return to lower body lifts fairly soon, I’d argue that’s much more important than the missed spring reps.

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Mostly Kool Aid.

Spoiler

NOTES ON TEXAS OFFENSE ENTERING SPRING BALL

I’ve heard from sources near the team that sophomore running back Bijan Robinson is emerging as a vocal leader on the team. Robinson proved his ability on the field last year, and he’s carried that over to offseason workouts. Robinson’s personality is easygoing and laid back which fits with new head coach Steve Sarkisian. Match his personality with his production on the field and the example he sets in workouts off the field and you have the makings of a future captain.

I’m told that in the initial install sessions the team has been going through, second year center Jake Majors is picking up the offense quickly. Majors was forced into action as a true freshman last season and had a good showing starting at center down the stretch last season. In year two, Majors is more comfortable and several sources marveled with how quickly he’s adjusted to the new fronts they’ve been reviewing.

The offense has been described to me as “way more detailed” and several of the older guys on the roster are still trying to pick things up. Most are ingrained with old terminology from Herb Hand’s time there, and the younger guys have the benefit of not having to completely re-wire the way they think.

There’s been nothing but strong praise for Kyle Flood. I was told that he’s been a great teacher showing a lot of patience as these players try to transition. Flood’s a former head coach who has time in the NFL and a strong resume at the college level, so he earned instant respect when he arrived on campus. I was told there was some reluctance in the past of players to ask questions when they were unclear for fear of the previous staff coming down too hard on them.

Flood has been diligent in building relationships with his players so far and willing to go through film to show how changes in the way they go about blocking up front can ultimately change the way they play on offense.

The 2021 offensive line class for Texas didn’t pan out how anyone wanted it to, but the 2020 class could be its saving grace. Aside from Majors and Andrej Karic who already made an early impact, it sounds like the rest of the class is doing well in offseason workouts.

One source I spoke with said that Logan Parr has been an animal in workouts and Jaylen Garth looks good now that he’s finally healthy after dealing with injuries most of his high school career.

Jeff Banks came to Texas with a strong reputation as a recruiter, but he’s also an excellent coach. In fact, high school coaches I spoke with talked about how sharp Banks is when it comes to special teams, and they also said he has a pretty strong grasp on multiple offensive positions.

In fact, Banks is a guy some people expect to end up a head coach in the next few years. As of now, he’s the guy who brings the energy on offense.

When I asked which freshmen were making a big impression, tight ends Juan Davis and Gunnar Helm were both names that came up immediately. In fact, Davis was mentioned by multiple sources as a guy who has already turned some heads with the way he showed up and went to work. Davis is a quiet guy who goes about his business with his head down, and it’s been noticed by multiple people close to the program.

I spoke with a source who said that Hudson Card is in great form entering a battle for the starting quarterback position. Card is up to over 200 pounds and has been working to digest as much of the offense as he can. I was told that Card is excited because the system is “more polished” and geared toward a passer. Card and Casey Thompson have both been moving quickly when it comes to the terminology, and we should have quite the quarterback battle on our hands this spring.

WHAT WE'RE HEARING ON DEFENSE

As Chip Brown reported, Brenden Schooler has been moved to safety. There was a combination of factors that led to that move. The wide receiver position is deep enough to sustain a loss, the safety position is getting thin and Schooler was a good player at safety where he started in 10 games as a freshman for the Ducks. As of now, Schooler and true freshman JD Coffey are behind Jerrin Thompson at the free safety position.

Thompson is being heralded for picking up the coverage responsibilities and knowing each person’s assignment. “His mental processing is just so good,” one source told me. B.J. Foster and Tyler Owens are at the boundary safety position, which leaves the whole position a bit thin.

Jamier Johnson was another freshman mentioned to me as a guy standing out in workouts. Johnson is at corner right now, but he has some versatility to be cross-trained at a few positions.

Darion Dunn is another player the coaches are bullish on. Dunn has been in offseason for more than a year since McNeese State didn’t play in the fall, and I heard he had some early issues keeping up in workouts. It seems he got his wind back near the end of workouts and is going into spring practice as a player the coaches are excited about.

Chris Adimora and Anthony Cook enter the season as prime candidates at the nickel position and Marques Caldwell joins them.

Caldwell came to Texas injured and hasn’t made much impact yet. Perhaps a move to nickel and a full bill of health can change his outlook moving forward.

I haven’t heard any negatives about the current coaches yet. Blake Gideon has been the energy guy on defense and I’ve been told he’s been tough but fair on the guys he’s working with. Pete Kwiatkowski was described as “different” but a really sharp guy. His disposition is different than Chris Ash but the players have similar confidence in his knowledge. Terry Joseph has been one of the guys I’ve heard the most positives about so far. When he came to Texas, he had the reputation as a good teacher and it sounds like the corners defensive backs are getting along with him well. After turnover that included two popular coaches in Jay Valai and Jason Washington, Joseph has been a welcome addition.

NOTES FROM OFFSEASON WORKOUTS

I’ve heard some mixed reactions on Torre Becton. From what I can tell, the strength program is undergoing a major change in philosophy from that of Yancy McKnight and there were those who preferred the old way. Some guys feel they should be getting bigger and stronger, but Becton’s focus is on mobility, stretching, explosive movements, change of direction and stop/start ability. There haven’t been any personal conflicts that I can tell but guys are used to lifting heavy weight which isn’t’ happening as much. We will see how those philosophical changes take effect this spring and summer.

CHANGES INSIDE THE PROGRAM
One source told me, “Everything has changed” when it comes to the program overall. There’s a new level of optimism heading into spring ball. This is usually the case any time there’s a coaching change. The team has been doing a lot of prep work and now they are ready to put it together in spring practices. The recurring theme around Steve Sarkisian is “he’s so cool.” Maybe it’s the west coast in him, but everyone we spoke with echoes that same sentiment when talking about him. He also hired a proven staff with strong resumes of development and winning. It’s been hard for players to argue and the buy in has been significant because of that success.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Nope said:

Hopefully that doesn’t derail him too much in adding the offseason weight he needed to add. Guess he should be able to return to lower body lifts fairly soon, I’d argue that’s much more important than the missed spring reps.

Most labrum years take 4-6 months to recover. on the short end, he’s missing a good chunk of fall camp in a new system, on the long end, he’s going to miss games and not get a single practice rep until  about our third game of the season. I’d say that will certainly derail things for him. 

The other issue is that torn labrums are pretty easy to re-aggravate if you come back too soon. So yeah, this is a really shitty development, especially at a spot where we don’t have much depth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Mostly Kool Aid.

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve heard from sources near the team that sophomore running back Bijan Robinson is emerging as a vocal leader on the team. Robinson proved his ability on the field last year, and he’s carried that over to offseason workouts. Robinson’s personality is easygoing and laid back which fits with new head coach Steve Sarkisian. Match his personality with his production on the field and the example he sets in workouts off the field and you have the makings of a future captain.

I’m told that in the initial install sessions the team has been going through, second year center Jake Majors is picking up the offense quickly. Majors was forced into action as a true freshman last season and had a good showing starting at center down the stretch last season. In year two, Majors is more comfortable and several sources marveled with how quickly he’s adjusted to the new fronts they’ve been reviewing.

The offense has been described to me as “way more detailed” and several of the older guys on the roster are still trying to pick things up. Most are ingrained with old terminology from Herb Hand’s time there, and the younger guys have the benefit of not having to completely re-wire the way they think.

There’s been nothing but strong praise for Kyle Flood. I was told that he’s been a great teacher showing a lot of patience as these players try to transition. Flood’s a former head coach who has time in the NFL and a strong resume at the college level, so he earned instant respect when he arrived on campus. I was told there was some reluctance in the past of players to ask questions when they were unclear for fear of the previous staff coming down too hard on them.

Flood has been diligent in building relationships with his players so far and willing to go through film to show how changes in the way they go about blocking up front can ultimately change the way they play on offense.

The 2021 offensive line class for Texas didn’t pan out how anyone wanted it to, but the 2020 class could be its saving grace. Aside from Majors and Andrej Karic who already made an early impact, it sounds like the rest of the class is doing well in offseason workouts.

One source I spoke with said that Logan Parr has been an animal in workouts and Jaylen Garth looks good now that he’s finally healthy after dealing with injuries most of his high school career.

Jeff Banks came to Texas with a strong reputation as a recruiter, but he’s also an excellent coach. In fact, high school coaches I spoke with talked about how sharp Banks is when it comes to special teams, and they also said he has a pretty strong grasp on multiple offensive positions.

In fact, Banks is a guy some people expect to end up a head coach in the next few years. As of now, he’s the guy who brings the energy on offense.

When I asked which freshmen were making a big impression, tight ends Juan Davis and Gunnar Helm were both names that came up immediately. In fact, Davis was mentioned by multiple sources as a guy who has already turned some heads with the way he showed up and went to work. Davis is a quiet guy who goes about his business with his head down, and it’s been noticed by multiple people close to the program.

I spoke with a source who said that Hudson Card is in great form entering a battle for the starting quarterback position. Card is up to over 200 pounds and has been working to digest as much of the offense as he can. I was told that Card is excited because the system is “more polished” and geared toward a passer. Card and Casey Thompson have both been moving quickly when it comes to the terminology, and we should have quite the quarterback battle on our hands this spring.

As Chip Brown reported, Brenden Schooler has been moved to safety. There was a combination of factors that led to that move. The wide receiver position is deep enough to sustain a loss, the safety position is getting thin and Schooler was a good player at safety where he started in 10 games as a freshman for the Ducks. As of now, Schooler and true freshman JD Coffey are behind Jerrin Thompson at the free safety position.

Thompson is being heralded for picking up the coverage responsibilities and knowing each person’s assignment. “His mental processing is just so good,” one source told me. B.J. Foster and Tyler Owens are at the boundary safety position, which leaves the whole position a bit thin.

Jamier Johnson was another freshman mentioned to me as a guy standing out in workouts. Johnson is at corner right now, but he has some versatility to be cross-trained at a few positions.

Darion Dunn is another player the coaches are bullish on. Dunn has been in offseason for more than a year since McNeese State didn’t play in the fall, and I heard he had some early issues keeping up in workouts. It seems he got his wind back near the end of workouts and is going into spring practice as a player the coaches are excited about.

Chris Adimora and Anthony Cook enter the season as prime candidates at the nickel position and Marques Caldwell joins them.

Caldwell came to Texas injured and hasn’t made much impact yet. Perhaps a move to nickel and a full bill of health can change his outlook moving forward.

I haven’t heard any negatives about the current coaches yet. Blake Gideon has been the energy guy on defense and I’ve been told he’s been tough but fair on the guys he’s working with. Pete Kwiatkowski was described as “different” but a really sharp guy. His disposition is different than Chris Ash but the players have similar confidence in his knowledge. Terry Joseph has been one of the guys I’ve heard the most positives about so far. When he came to Texas, he had the reputation as a good teacher and it sounds like the corners defensive backs are getting along with him well. After turnover that included two popular coaches in Jay Valai and Jason Washington, Joseph has been a welcome addition.

I’ve heard some mixed reactions on Torre Becton. From what I can tell, the strength program is undergoing a major change in philosophy from that of Yancy McKnight and there were those who preferred the old way. Some guys feel they should be getting bigger and stronger, but Becton’s focus is on mobility, stretching, explosive movements, change of direction and stop/start ability. There haven’t been any personal conflicts that I can tell but guys are used to lifting heavy weight which isn’t’ happening as much. We will see how those philosophical changes take effect this spring and summer.

One source told me, “Everything has changed” when it comes to the program overall. There’s a new level of optimism heading into spring ball. This is usually the case any time there’s a coaching change. The team has been doing a lot of prep work and now they are ready to put it together in spring practices. The recurring theme around Steve Sarkisian is “he’s so cool.” Maybe it’s the west coast in him, but everyone we spoke with echoes that same sentiment when talking about him. He also hired a proven staff with strong resumes of development and winning. It’s been hard for players to argue and the buy in has been significant because of that success.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also really frustrating that Overshown has needed surgery since late last season but only had an MRI last week (per Wells). What the fuck, he could already be like 3 months along in his rehab. 

No idea if this falls into the Kenyatta Watson/JQJ category of the previous staff possibly mishandling injuries, but I'm still going to blame Herman and his merry band of dipshits.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Mostly Kool Aid.

Hide contents

Becton sounds like a buzzkill.  How are you supposed to be swoll for spring break doing change of direction bullshit???

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Most labrum years take 4-6 months to recover. on the short end, he’s missing a good chunk of fall camp in a new system, on the long end, he’s going to miss games and not get a single practice rep until  about our third game of the season. I’d say that will certainly derail things for him. 

The other issue is that torn labrums are pretty easy to re-aggravate if you come back too soon. So yeah, this is a really shitty development, especially at a spot where we don’t have much depth. 

He will be able to get mental reps, obviously not ideal

Nope.

What lower body lifts? Leg press?

5 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

No idea if this falls into the Kenyatta Watson/JQJ category of the previous staff possibly mishandling injuries, but I'm still going to blame Herman and his merry band of dipshits.

I'd love to hear the "scared of competition" argument that prevailed with the other two to be made here. 

Forever fuck you Tom Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

Team FAQs heading into spring ball

We ask the questions, sources answer them.

—What do the next few days look like?

Players are still dispersed but a good number are still training and eating right (e.g., Roschon Johnson has been training in Florida). Most of the players return on Saturday with the balance on Sunday. They must check-in by 4pm Sunday for COVID testing/protocols.

The first three practices won’t include pads. Those days will be heavy with hammering home the installs they’ve been working on the previous weeks via meetings and walk-throughs. There is a good amount of offense, defense, and special teams installed, but the early part of spring ball is when they’ll be able to truly ingrain the schemes while using an actual football.

They should be able to hit the ground running. They’ve been simulating practices so they understand how the general flow of the day will go. Each staff is a little different and you don’t want to waste precious time on the practice field explaining what needs to be done.

—Who are some potential breakout players and why?

WR Kelvontay Dixon. Expect the redshirt freshman to play both inside and outside. With everyone learning the new scheme and terminology, it’s almost an advantage for Dixon. Everyone is on a level playing field and will be given a fresh opportunity.

OT Christian Jones. He has added muscle and strength to his athletic frame. The coaches are eager to work with him. He’ll receive more attention than ever before. He’s the preferred left tackle.

DE Vernon Broughton. Versatility to play multiple defensive line spots, from tackle to end/outside linebacker. Broughton may also be aided by Alfred Collins still returning from his wrist injury. Collins may not be 100% for camp. T’Vondre Sweat (shoulder) still isn’t 100% either. Broughton will either receive more direct reps or benefit from guys being moved around.

LB Jaylan Ford. He’s got a knack for being in the right place. He’s made an early strong impression on the staff. Smart, diligent worker. Preparation is about to meet opportunity.

CB Kitan Crawford. He’s already a staff favorite. His speed and athleticism are borderline elite and his versatility might allow him reps at nickel too. There’s a log jam at corner but he’s ready to play. The staff is excited to see him in action.

—Any more position switches? Is Montrell Estell still at receiver?

Brenden Schooler moved to field safety. After the staff sees the players in live action, a position switch or two would be more likely.

Estell is still at WR.

—Is there are depth chart or rotation at receiver?

For the most part receivers are just learning the offense, inside and out, with no clearly defined roles. Jake Smith, Jordan Whittington, and Dajon Harrison will end up being more inside. Josh Moore, Marcus Washington, Troy Omeire, and Kennedy Lewis are outside. Kelvontay Dixon will be looked at both.

—When will Omeire be cleared?

He’s running but it’s unknown when he’ll be released for full contact.

—What’s the latest on fifth year senior Derek Kerstetter’s status?

Still rehabbing and not likely to be released in spring.

—Who is the favorite to win LT and why?

Christian Jones is most likely as of today. He looks the part and moves well. Andrej Karic is at RT, but if Jones doesn’t hold up, that’ll flip or change altogether.

—With the revelation De’Marvion Overshown will be missed for the next few months, who replaces him? Anything on Marcus Tillman? What about Jaden Hullaby?

It’s David Gbenda time in place of Overshown with Ford the more natural inside guy. Tillman is moving well and will compete but he’s more of an unknown and will have to work his way up the depth chart. Hullaby‘s promising freshman start was derailed by injury but he’s athletic and a hard worker. He’ll compete with Gbenda.

—Prince Dorbah had an inconsistent freshman year. We’ve heard he’s working hard. Is that the case?

He is. Dorbah looks fantastic in the underwear Olympics and is carrying about 240 pounds with no problem. He has the movement ability and skill to translate to OLB but he has more experienced guys ahead of him. He should play this year, though.

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The guy who should be our best pass rusher is Foster, but he lost what 20 pounds before reporting before last season?  He should be gaining and playing close to the line of scrimmage.

I don't know what he lost or what work he didn't put in, but he was never going to be some 230+ lb pass rusher.  If that's what the last staff wanted to do with him then the jokes on us.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't know what he lost or what work he didn't put in, but he was never going to be some 230+ lb pass rusher.  If that's what the last staff wanted to do with him then the jokes on us.

I think his highest and best use would be as a pass rushing specialist playing around 215 pounds. Like that guy OU used to have.

He is not a good safety.  Bring him in on passing downs and let him get after the QB.  He has some talent for that.  And he hits like a Mack truck.

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Cc: Seattle Seahawks

That’s a good counter point. I don’t follow much NFL but it seems them having Adams as their best pass rusher was not ideal.

Defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. made no secret of the fact that all that blitzing was done out of necessity as Seattle's front four wasn’t getting enough pressure on its own”

Edited by Hmmm

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I think his highest and best use would be as a pass rushing specialist playing around 215 pounds. Like that guy OU used to have.

He is not a good safety.  Bring him in on passing downs and let him get after the QB.  He has some talent for that.  And he hits like a Mack truck.

Eric Striker?