2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

We’ll start with team bests with some notes where we have them. These ‘bests’ are as of now, not August or September projections.

Best DT: “Consistently best was between Coburn and Moro. Moro improved a lot in camp, especially in pass rush and stunts. He doesn’t make the same mistake twice. Collins is coming along, too. He and some of the other younger guys, not just at defensive tackle, didn’t take to the new coaching as quickly as the older guys."

Best J-backer: “Jacoby Jones. Bush is an athletic guy and does whatever’s asked of him, but Jones is the guy right now. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the new guys show up.”

Best X-backer: “Thornton. He might be a little heavy but I think the staff wants him to put on weight so he can hold up at J-backer too.”

Of note: Ben Davis arrives in Austin this week after graduating from Alabama last week. We don’t know if he can officially join workouts, but he’ll begin working out and assimilating with the players. Notre Dame graduate transfer Ovie Oghoufo will be in Austin later in May after he graduates.

Best LB: “It was Gbenda. He’s attentive, smart, downloads info, looks to gain a deeper understanding of the position, and watches extra film on his own. Brockermeyer improved a lot. I didn’t expect him to be ahead of Jaylan Ford at this point.”

Of note: New Mexico State transfer Devin Richardson is set to begin his time in Austin at Will inside linebacker. Luke Brockermeyer is #1 at the position exiting spring but Richardson, and Palaie Gaoteote, are expected to compete in August. Richardson is back in his native Houston working out. He did attend the spring game.

Best S: “Not sure if he was the best overall, but Schooler improved the most and became the most consistently noticeable. The other guys made plays too but it seemed like if you heard a hit, there’s Schooler. A couple plays later he’d be making breakups. He tends to make more plays. It looked like he never stopped playing DB.”

Best CB: “That one’s close. I’d go Josh and then Jamison right behind him. Thompson is becoming more of a playmaker. He missed some time but probably had 4-5 picks throughout spring.”

Of note: If I ask about cornerback the source is going to find ways to discuss Kitan Crawford. They love Crawford from both the mental and athletic standpoint.

Best OL: “Jones really came on towards the end, so probably him. He and Karic are still close but Christian can become elite. He has the size of an NFL tackle and can move.”

Of note: Tope Imade had a surprising spring. The goal for him will be to lose 20-30 pounds in order to increase his quickness. He’s already plenty strong. Imade is around 370, but he’s not a fat guy.

Best TE: “I think Wiley had the best spring. He’s an okay blocker but that’s not his specialty. He needs to keep improving and use his length to his advantage. Wiley can be a really good receiver. Brewer’s a decent blocker. As you know, more fullback, not a TE like Wiley is. They complement each other.”

Best WR: “You know I’m going to say Whittington. He was easily the most consistent and worked well with each quarterback. Everybody is excited to see how Omeire looks with a couple more months to get healthy. He’s different than anyone else on the roster.”

Best RB: “Bijan’s the best running back and best player on the team.”

Best QB: “Card holds the edge to me. He looked as good as Casey while running with the second team offense and just fits the offense better.”

I'd be okay if this staff used Brewer as a fullback type.

Wiley was mostly solid blocking in the run game as an in-line blocker. He gave up two sacks in pass-pro while blocking a guy one on one; obviously needs work there, but his progress as an in-line guy seems promising 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The majority. Barring some currently unknown element of the existing language preventing such a move, most schools will see fit to have their spring practices end in a spring game the first week of May. Any long term readers of this site and the others know that I am generally dismissive of the average intelligence within the coaching ranks. However, there are some bright ones and the rest are all copycatting lemmings.

There is no logic supporting not moving things back outside of slightly mitigating injury risk to the future season. Coaches will figure out that the QB2 that they don't want transferring due to the QB battle from the spring will have a harder time pulling the transfer trigger without the prospect of immediate playing time. What will be achieved by being the program that goes early anyway? All teams will be actively following the portal irrespective of when they host spring practices. 

Pushing the timelines back past the decision date for immediate transfer eligibility means that any player locked into a position battle either has to see the competition through or pull the trigger to leave early. May 1 fundamentally skews in favor of the incumbent schools. I'm interested in hearing a non-reaching logic string to counter that premise. The minute I saw the May 1 date as the go-forward, my next thought was "well, just finish spring drills after that date then." I don't know though, maybe logic isn't on my side and I'm missing something obvious.

As to a bet, this isn't communist USSR or Portland yet. I cannot force @SydneyCarton to do a damned thing. I'm not sure that dude and @shadow_operative have ever interacted on the boards. My invoking their intersection here, at your instigating, could quite possibly be galactically cataclysmic. 

The terms of my bet are simple. The loser has to write a realistic letter to Tom Herman, explaining to him the loser's appreciation and admiration of Herman as a visionary whose intelligence and creativity is poorly understood during his time. The winner has editing rights within reason. The correspondence will then be posted on this site or whatever the new version of this site is at the time. Loser has to act serious about his feelings for Fuckface and defend his honor on a new thread here with images of the letter posted. Those remembering the bet from this thread should shut the fuck up while clowns climb over each other to call the losing poster a motherfucker and such.

Is spring game/practice allowed after the semester ends? Many school finish spring semester last week of April.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Wiley was mostly solid blocking in the run game as an in-line blocker. He gave up two sacks in pass-pro while blocking a guy one on one; obviously needs work there, but his progress as an in-line guy seems promising 

The guy who went through him in pass blocking was 75 lbs lighter. And he didn’t run around Wiley, either. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

The guy who went through him in pass blocking was 75 lbs lighter. And he didn’t run around Wiley, either. 

Yeah, he actually did run around him. He beat him with speed, after being able to time the snap while creeping in from deep

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If Gaoteote did commit, this defense is gonna fuck. Holy shit if true.

I am in awe how both Sark and Beard has approached the portal this off-season.

Would I have liked to see one more stud OT and another WR, sure, but damn have they done a solid job addressing weaknesses on the team.

Just now, Laxtonto said:

I am in awe how both Sark and Beard has approached the portal this off-season.

Would I have liked to see one more stud OT and another WR, sure, but damn have they done a solid job addressing weaknesses on the team.

Hell yeah they have. This is how you work the portal. Dumb fuck Herman and staff are simpletons who don't understand how to win big. I don't care what Sark's record was as a HC years ago because it's irrelevant. What he's doing now is putting us back at the top. Now he just needs to deliver on the field, and Bijan just made that a whole lot easier.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The majority. Barring some currently unknown element of the existing language preventing such a move, most schools will see fit to have their spring practices end in a spring game the first week of May. Any long term readers of this site and the others know that I am generally dismissive of the average intelligence within the coaching ranks. However, there are some bright ones and the rest are all copycatting lemmings.

There is no logic supporting not moving things back outside of slightly mitigating injury risk to the future season. Coaches will figure out that the QB2 that they don't want transferring due to the QB battle from the spring will have a harder time pulling the transfer trigger without the prospect of immediate playing time. What will be achieved by being the program that goes early anyway? All teams will be actively following the portal irrespective of when they host spring practices. 

Pushing the timelines back past the decision date for immediate transfer eligibility means that any player locked into a position battle either has to see the competition through or pull the trigger to leave early. May 1 fundamentally skews in favor of the incumbent schools. I'm interested in hearing a non-reaching logic string to counter that premise. The minute I saw the May 1 date as the go-forward, my next thought was "well, just finish spring drills after that date then." I don't know though, maybe logic isn't on my side and I'm missing something obvious.

As to a bet, this isn't communist USSR or Portland yet. I cannot force @SydneyCarton to do a damned thing. I'm not sure that dude and @shadow_operative have ever interacted on the boards. My invoking their intersection here, at your instigating, could quite possibly be galactically cataclysmic. 

The terms of my bet are simple. The loser has to write a realistic letter to Tom Herman, explaining to him the loser's appreciation and admiration of Herman as a visionary whose intelligence and creativity is poorly understood during his time. The winner has editing rights within reason. The correspondence will then be posted on this site or whatever the new version of this site is at the time. Loser has to act serious about his feelings for Fuckface and defend his honor on a new thread here with images of the letter posted. Those remembering the bet from this thread should shut the fuck up while clowns climb over each other to call the losing poster a motherfucker and such.

I love it.  I'm in.  I've got the under on half going in May of 2023.  Or I get to pen an ode to Tom Herman. Hopefully the success we have with Sark will be such that such a missive will be even more absurd than it sounds like now.   

My logic for big schools is pretty simple- most of the guys that they get in the portal are good for filling holes and addressing needs.  Most of the guys that they lose are likely to be guys they want to process.  As such- I would think they'd want to make those exchanges prior to May 1 as opposed to post May 1 so that they will be eligible to start the next year.  I could well be wrong- 24 months to find out I guess.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4

Socks and slip-ons…? 
He must hang with the ese's. That's how cholos sport them 
Y'all are either old or unathletic or both...

That is how HS and college athletes (male, female, almost any sport) have been rolling for years... I'm not a fan, because I'm old, but I respect it.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm more than willing to do this sans bet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Y'all are either old or unathletic or both...

That is how HS and college athletes (male, female, almost any sport) have been rolling for years... I'm not a fan, because I'm old, but I respect it.

Werd.

I remember when adidas slides were must haves.

4 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I'm both but that's how cholos rock them in san Anto 

Not sure about SA but in Houston, we wore soccer, not crew length, socks. But I'm OG status and the less sock the better... wait. What thread is this?

The quicker Worthy and this "WR X" gets on campus and getting acclimated with the QBs, the better. That and safety are the only noticeable weak spots on this team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Haha props to you on coming up with the punishment - pretty hilarious.

I think why it might be tough to push much of spring ball into May is likely due to academic commitments. I was talking to someone who works in UT administration and mentioned your theory. Apparently spring ball has to be one consecutive month. If you take the logic that a May 1 spring game wouldn’t matter because most players would know where they stand before the game, then you probably need 1-2 weeks in May to give kids some uncertainty on deciding to transfer.

The problem is that Spring semester exams are usually the second/third week of May (ex. UT’s this year started May 12). The academic administration wants student athletes to have at least one week to prepare for exams/have a dead period. If that’s the case, May 1 is literally the last Saturday you could have the Spring Game (this year). If May 7 lined up perfectly on a Saturday one year, then it’s unfortunately likely that May 11 would be the beginning of exams. This makes spring ball impossible to squeeze into May.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Not sure about SA but in Houston, we wore soccer, not crew length, socks. But I'm OG status and the less sock the better... wait. What thread is this?

The quicker Worthy and this "WR X" gets on campus and getting acclimated with the QBs, the better. That and safety are the only noticeable weak spots on this team. 

whoa man , the higher the sock the downer the foo yo 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, Machinator said:

This is excellent. Don't miss the last 10 minutes where Sark is one on one with Sanchez. What strikes me is Sarks ability to communicate and the relationship with his QBs. Especially, playing to their strengths and building on their weaknesses.  Gives me great hope for the future. Compare to Strong and Herman. There, of course,  is no comparison. His communication skills rival Mack, but with the Xs and Os. If he can manage the institution of Texas and the pressure we will have our guy. Great find @Machinator

Hook'em 

Edited by BigSwingingD
Spelling edit
  • Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is the most boring time of the year for cfb :(

Let's pray for boring. Boring, right now, is good. Of course we'll be happy with a couple of grad transfers shortly, but other than that, we need to stay out of the news for the next 9 weeks or so.

When I get to work and the "Offseason" thread page count jumps by 6, it's either (a) really bad news or (b) a slap fight about who owns more expensive loafers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3