2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

1 hour ago, huge said:

Wife has a Subaru on order for her company car.  Shame they didn't offer the WRX hatch.  Forrester it is.  Maybe I can parlay this into her turning BI?

When she leaves you for a hairy woman, you will look back at this with regret (?).

Don't underestimate the Lesbaru Force.

5 minutes ago, runthebone said:

When she leaves you for a hairy woman, you will look back at this with regret (?).

Don't underestimate the Lesbaru Force.

Subaru is the National Car of Maine. What does that say about Maine women? (Don't take this too harshly; I was up there for a week last summer and I saw a really attractive girl. Uh, woman. Singular.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Royale with cheese said:

Subaru is the National Car of Maine. What does that say about Maine women? (Don't take this too harshly; I was up there for a week last summer and I saw a really attractive girl. Uh, woman. Singular.)

I worked in Boston and lived in New Hampshire in the 90's. It was the National Car of Vermont back then.  Damn great car in the snow. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Eggo said:

What an alpha move in California. Bravo. 

And in Southern California, too.

I drive this around while wearing my 2017 World Series Champions hoodie.

If we ever had snow, it would melt instantly from all the salt.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

If you need insomnia prevention for the next nine nights, he did writeups for every Big 12 team.

I've been playing a bunch of MLB The Show 2021 on our PS5 and drinking Manhattans after the kids are down, and that kills my nightmares pretty good by the time I knock myself out. That said, you've just offered me a sober alternative that I might actually pursue when I want to start acting like an adult. I have no doubt that a warm glass of milk and some melatonin would easily fall behind this dude's shit in effectiveness. 

The thing that always kills me when I look at shit like that is the fawning in the comments section. I've been reading some truly absurd nonsense on the RedRaider 247 board from their lunatic mods and it's the same thing. I use that account to roam the 247 network and it repeats itself everywhere. There's just a remarkable faction of people who are compelled to believe blindly when someone has an official role, in anything, from which they're opining. It will always simultaneously nauseate, disturb, and fascinate me. 

36 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Roschon was using one of the lightsabers that can't puncture leather jackets from the new movies.  Those gloves he's wearing are more than enough protection.

Also, Ian Boyd has a great breakdown of how Big 12 defenses might try to defend Roschon's lightsaber attacks using press quarters coverage and force lightning.  

Non Canon noobs. He has Mandalorian armor hands. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The terms of my bet are simple. The loser has to write a realistic letter to Tom Herman, explaining to him the loser's appreciation and admiration of Herman as a visionary whose intelligence and creativity is poorly understood during his time. The winner has editing rights within reason. The correspondence will then be posted on this site or whatever the new version of this site is at the time. Loser has to act serious about his feelings for Fuckface and defend his honor on a new thread here with images of the letter posted. Those remembering the bet from this thread should shut the fuck up while clowns climb over each other to call the losing poster a motherfucker and such.

This is America. Cruel and unusual punishment is forbidden by the eighth amendment.

IT

Spoiler

Roster numbers are still an issue that gets brought up. Right now UT is seen as being too heavy at WR and TE. Sark reiterated Bama had only 9 scholarship wide receivers. Kennedy Lewis‘ departure means there’s one less wide receiver, but Texas also has to load up in the 2022 class. These issues won’t be resolved over night.

Sark said the answer — which will be music to the ears of PK, Bo Davis, and Kyle Flood — is to sign more big people, but when you do that you have to do a better job of evaluating skill players.

No surprise here, but after spring ball, Sark still doesn’t think Texas has the depth of Bama up-front on either side of the ball. He thinks the skill positions are different, with some better (Bijan), some equal (Card?), and some worse. From a team-wide perspective, he said he didn’t think the talent was too far off.

The head coach said he’s excited for the quarterbacks to continue competing “through fall camp until we name a starter.” No shock there, but he’s clearly in no hurry to name a starter. That’s good for several reasons.

On the ticket side of things, CDC is aiming for 100% stadium capacity with a goal of 65,000 season tickets sold.

Sark has also said he’s impressed by the success of UT’s spring sports and emphasizes to his team that’s the standard at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

FCB

Spoiler

— One of the most productive springs on defense came from former walk-on linebacker Luke Brockermeyer, who is in the mix to replace Juwan Mitchell at middle linebacker along with Jaylan Ford and possibly USC transfer Palaie Gaoteote.

Gaoteote (6-2, 250),  who is in the transfer portal as a graduate transfer with two years of eligibility, hasn't declared where he'll attend school this fall. But Texas is in good position at this point, according to Horns247's Mike Roach. 

Texas uses sensors underneath players' shoulder pads to determine how much "work" that player's body is doing during practice, and Brockermeyer was consistently at or near the top of the linebackers throughout the spring. Brockermeyer had a couple interceptions this spring in scrimmage situations, none bigger than a pick-six against Hudson Card.

"High football IQ," said a team source of Brockermeyer. "Very ball aware and consistent."

Consistency is probably the key in that last comment. If Brockermeyer can maintain that consistency, the 6-foot-3, 224-pound junior from Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal (and son of former Texas offensive lineman Blake Brockermeyer)  could very well challenge for the two-deep despite playing in just seven career games.

Consistency is the reason one team source said Brockermeyer edged out Jaylan Ford for the best spring among those who lined up at middle linebacker, even though Ford got the nod in the spring game as the starter in the middle for the first-team defense on the White team.

Brockermeyer and Ford both had three tackles in the spring game.

On Monday, Mitchell, UT's leading tackler last season (62), announced he's transferring to Tennessee.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Roster numbers are still an issue that gets brought up. Right now UT is seen as being too heavy at WR and TE. Sark reiterated Bama had only 9 scholarship wide receivers. Kennedy Lewis‘ departure means there’s one less wide receiver, but Texas also has to load up in the 2022 class. These issues won’t be resolved over night.

That whole paragraph feels like a contradiction. If we have too many WRs, why does Lewis departing mean we have to load up? Do we have too many or too few? 

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

That whole paragraph feels like a contradiction. If we have too many WRs, why does Lewis departing mean we have to load up? Do we have too many or too few? 

Load up on elite talent. The sentence is poorly constructed.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

We have way too much meh in the WR and are seriously missing some legit WR talent. So yeah......

We have way too many WR, and most are shitty, and so we need to go get some talented guys and get rid of the rest of these JAGs

Think thats simply poorly written and he means "load up with a couple stud wr's in '22", but then again he could be contradicting himself just like it seems.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Sark said the answer — which will be music to the ears of PK, Bo Davis, and Kyle Flood — is to sign more big people, but when you do that you have to do a better job of evaluating skill players.

No surprise here, but after spring ball, Sark still doesn’t think Texas has the depth of Bama up-front on either side of the ball. He thinks the skill positions are different, with some better (Bijan), some equal (Card?), and some worse. From a team-wide perspective, he said he didn’t think the talent was too far off.

The head coach said he’s excited for the quarterbacks to continue competing “through fall camp until we name a starter.” No shock there, but he’s clearly in no hurry to name a starter. That’s good for several reasons.

On the ticket side of things, CDC is aiming for 100% stadium capacity with a goal of 65,000 season tickets sold.

Sark has also said he’s impressed by the success of UT’s spring sports and emphasizes to his team that’s the standard at Texas.

The "Texas doesn't have the depth of Bama in the trenches" refrain coming from Sarkisian and company through various mouthpieces is whiny silliness. No shit Texas lacks Bama big man depth. You know who else does? Virtually every other program in the country. Fuckface wasn't fired because he had behemoths for days in the trenches and Texas was going to the CFP on the reg. 

The better way to look at it is that Texas actually has some talent and size at the starting level of the trenches. That's more than Texas has had in over a decade and it is a good starting point for what a new HC wants to build. Texas can compete in and win every game this season with the size and talent it already has. Building depth on top of that is an excellent goal and trends the programs towards the elite. 

That all considered, I do feel it is important for people, including the writers, to recall at least two simple facts: 1) Teams can compete for the NC without great depth or size, they simply need some truly dynamic and transcendent skill talent and leadership. Texas in 2009 and Clemson's recent run are proofpoints. Talking OL specifically for both examples. 2) Clemson is considered one of the three "haves" at the apex of the sport right now. They've done all of that without ever developing a 1st round OL draft pick. In fact, they've only had 5 OLs drafted in the last 11 drafts, including just one 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder. The DL for them is a different story, where they've had 10 go in the first 3 rounds during the same timeframe, and numerous others drafted in the later rounds as well.

I went back into the 90's out of curiosity and saw like only 2 other late OL picks for Clemson. Like 31 drafts at least without a 1st round OL. Crazy. Don't send your promising young OL recruit there if you'd like to see them get drafted well.

• Hook 'Em 8

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They've done all of that without ever developing a 1st round OL draft pick. In fact, they've only had 5 OLs drafted in the last 11 drafts, including just one 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder. The DL for them is a different story, where they've had 10 go in the first 3 rounds during the same timeframe, and numerous others drafted in the later rounds as well.

I went back into the 90's out of curiosity and saw like only 2 other late OL picks for Clemson. Like 31 drafts at least without a 1st round OL. Crazy. Don't send your promising young OL recruit there if you'd like to see them get drafted well.

This is fascinating and I'm not sure what to make of it exactly. Looks like they've retained the same OL coach since 2011 so that has been consistent for almost all of Dabo's run. Have they had big time recruits that have failed to develop into high draft picks or is OL a position where their own evals don't really match up with NFL projections?

When I think of Clemson's offense during this period I think of the star qbs and and absolute murderers row of good wrs. A couple good rbs. Not sure if I've ever thought of a Clemson OL being particularly dominant or a liability. 

On defense it's a stacked defensive line, like you mentioned, and some white linebacker running around untouched behind it. 

Went back to 1999 (as far back as 247 goes) and Clemson has had 2 5* O-linemen:

2015, Mitch Hyatt - UDFA Cowboys

2018, Jackson Carman - 2nd round to the Bengals

Alabama had 10 5* recruits in that time. 

Edited by Eggo

42 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

. On defense it's a stacked defensive line, like you mentioned, and some white linebacker running around untouched behind it. 

Those white linebackers don’t go “untouched”.

They are most definitely “touched”...

...by ‘ROID RAGE.

😎

Didn’t see a better thread to post this so I am just gonna post it here. Interesting breakdown of Big 12. Big criticism of our WRs. Praise for ISU WRs and the QBs from TCU and TT. Interesting read. At least I found it to be—as far as the Big 12 overall. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2021-big-12-spring-football-overreactions-oklahoma-leaning-on-defense-texas-struggling-with-passing-game/

“Sure, there might be times when Texas' offense looks unstoppable next fall. Sarkisian is a brilliant offensive mind and the Longhorns have some potential breakout stars on that side of the ball, like running back Bijan Robinson. But the spring game was also a glimpse at what could hold this team back. The quarterback competition between Casey Thompson and Hudson Cardis likely to continue into preseason camp. Wide receivers were dropping passes, though Jordan Whittington could snag that No. 1 role, and pass protection left a lot to be desired.”

It's Sark's first spring, so none of this should come as a massive surprise. Still, there are a lot of disjointed parts to the Texas passing game that will hold the Longhorns back in 2021, at least at times. Life's a bit different when you don't have Mac Jones, DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle out there. 

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

As much as we bag on our coaches and their overall strategic failures, the truth is better QB play alone would have made a big difference in a lot of seasons during our lost decade.   I don’t know that skill position talent without an elite QB makes much difference if the trenches are average, but you can definitely work around it if you have a QB.

2008 and 2009 Texas were examples of that, and Clemson’s run coincides with having two of the most talented QBs in college football history.   I’m interested to see what happens to Clemson when that ends.   DJ Ugghashakka or whatever his name is might be another 1st rounder, so it could be a few more years. 

When Clemson had mere mortals at QB, it wasn’t so pretty.  They still made the playoffs with Kelly Bryant that one year, but that was due to winning a ridiculously weak ACC.  They were nonetheless a 2 loss team and looked helpless on offense against Bama in the playoff.  

Before Watson, they’d have insane skill position groups like Sammie Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins, Martavis Bryant, an NFL RB, and an NFL TE all on the same team, and they’d still lose 3 or 4 games.   I kind of doubt Dabo really has built a machine like Saban that can win championships with some spare at QB like when Saban had Coker, McElroy, McCarron, etc. Hell, I’m not sure Tua and Mac Jones are even actually that good.  Tua looks pedestrian in the NFL, and Jones screams product of the system.

Sark is probably smart to try to manage expectations.  It’s a better sign than Herman for some reason thinking it was a good idea to say our OL of Tristan Nickelson, Jake McMillon, and freshman/sophomore versions of Okafor, Kerstetter and Shackelford was the best OL he had ever seen.   But, yes, ultimately Sark is bullshitting and in for a rude awakening if he thinks he doesn’t have what he needs to post a good record this year.   He has far more talent than any team on our schedule except OU.  He’s inheriting a team that fired its coach for going 7-3 last year because it was clear that was underachieving.   This isn’t much of a rebuild, all things considered.

Good points. 
O/T: when I read your posts, it’s in Matthew McConaughey’s voice for some reason. Every time you post. Lol. 

• Haha 1

I definitely see the need to upgrade WR and add where there is quality available.  Whittington seems like the consensus best but he’s been injured and unavailable way more than not.  I like Moore a lot but people talk about him like he’s got a foot out the door. Ditto Smith. I like him way more than most but he’s disappeared at times and is not always reliable. TO has promise but hasn’t played a real snap yet. Then Dixon who’s not played many snaps but looks promising. Probably missed some but overall this ain’t great. 

I don't expect Sark to be a miracle worker, BUT my hope is that he will be able to come in and do more with less as opposed to what the rest of the college football world seems to think of Texas as perpetually doing less with more

• Hook 'Em 2