2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

Oh, and this apropos of nothing, but the OL vs. skill position discussion reminds me that Mack Brown once managed to have negative rushing yards against OU with an OL that featured:
Leonard Davis (No. 2 overall pick in the draft that year, NFL Pro Bowler);
Mike Williams (No. 4 overall pick in the draft the following year); and
Derrick Dockery (at one time the highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL).
Plus, we also had Chris Simms and Roy Williams.  So, sometimes you can be loaded in the trenches and the skill positions, and still find a way to blow it!  
That might have been the magnum opus for Greg Davis.  We were bigger than NFL teams on the OL that year and couldn’t run vs. anyone because Mack and Greg failed to notice how the Denver Broncos offense actually worked or that their OL used the exact opposite type of player compared to what we had.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Droopy said:

I don't expect Sark to be a miracle worker, BUT my hope is that he will be able to come in and do more with less as opposed to what the rest of the college football world seems to think of Texas as perpetually doing less with more

Lulz. He doesn't have less to work with at the offensive skill positions. That is just retarded.

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I kind of doubt Dabo really has built a machine like Saban that can win championships with some spare at QB like when Saban had Coker, McElroy, McCarron, etc. Hell, I’m not sure Tua and Mac Jones are even actually that good.  Tua looks pedestrian in the NFL, and Jones screams product of the system.

You leave the patron spud of Tuscaloosa out of this sir. 

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. He doesn't have less to work with at the offensive skill positions. That is just retarded.

I don’t understand your post. but he definitely has much less to work with than he did the last two years at bama. 

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

At WR?  Compared to Bama?

No. Compared to the rest of college football. Texas likely isn't playing Bama next year. He's got more skill talent than every team on his schedule except OU. Of course, at the rate Riley is losing RBs and WRs to armed robbery, he may go into that game with more talent than even OU.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I was speaking to the team as a whole overall, and not necessarily skill positions. But, as someone else pointed out, compared to the top teams we are lacking at some positions. My point was that we face teams all the time that despite our larger, in some case much larger, talent advantages we tend to play down to our opponent or not live up to our potential against those teams. I'd like to get back to a scenario where we are not discussing whether or not an all world ULaLa team is a potential loss, regardless of their returning starters et.al. We should be crushing those motherfuckers with impunity. 

TL:DR - Coach up/Develop players, regardless of stars and shit. See Brian Robinson.

Edited by Droopy

19 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

This is fascinating and I'm not sure what to make of it exactly. Looks like they've retained the same OL coach since 2011 so that has been consistent for almost all of Dabo's run. Have they had big time recruits that have failed to develop into high draft picks or is OL a position where their own evals don't really match up with NFL projections?

When I think of Clemson's offense during this period I think of the star qbs and and absolute murderers row of good wrs. A couple good rbs. Not sure if I've ever thought of a Clemson OL being particularly dominant or a liability. 

On defense it's a stacked defensive line, like you mentioned, and some white linebacker running around untouched behind it. 

i think you can absolutely have guy who are good college OL who are not good NFL OL.

Mitch Hyatt set the Clemson all time leaders in snaps from scrimmage and starts. He had 57 starts, 3x All ACC selection, 2x All American, unanimous in 2018. He was an Outland semifinalist.

...Dude went undrafted and signed with the Cowboys after the draft.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

i think you can absolutely have guy who are good college OL who are not good NFL OL.

Mitch Hyatt set the Clemson all time leaders in snaps from scrimmage and starts. He had 57 starts, 3x All ACC selection, 2x All American, unanimous in 2018. He was an Outland semifinalist.

...Dude went undrafted and signed with the Cowboys after the draft.

Oh yeah, I get that. We've seen it here plenty too, Kasey Studdard was a 6th round pick and struggled to get a foothold in the NFL but he was invaluable to us on a national championship team (and the last line we had that was actually good).

I don't follow Clemson football that closely, so I'm more wondering if it's something specific about what they look for in their OL.  Are they consistently bringing in guys like Hyatt who project/develop as good college linemen within their specific scheme but don't have NFL measurables? Or are they recruiting blue chip guys that can play anywhere but for whatever reason they are failing to develop them and their lines are seen as underachieving? 

Since nobody asked, let me just state that I hate it when people use "skill players" or "skill positions." It's a slight to linemen as if a center, who calls the blocking scheme and puts his hand on the ball every play, has no skill. Or a tackle, who has to be able to read defense and counter players who are both fast and strong. No lineman can get by on just athleticism. They  have to continuously improve their skills. Every football player is a skilled player.

We've seen what happens when you don't have skilled players in those skill positions called tackle, guard, and center.

Call the other positions something else: pretty boys, the small and fast group, the darlings of 7-on-7. Just don't call them skill players at the expense of the people who provide those guys the time and space to be seen.

• Hook 'Em 6

27 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Oh yeah, I get that. We've seen it here plenty too, Kasey Studdard was a 6th round pick and struggled to get a foothold in the NFL but he was invaluable to us on a national championship team (and the last line we had that was actually good).

I don't follow Clemson football that closely, so I'm more wondering if it's something specific about what they look for in their OL.  Are they consistently bringing in guys like Hyatt who project/develop as good college linemen within their specific scheme but don't have NFL measurables? Or are they recruiting blue chip guys that can play anywhere but for whatever reason they are failing to develop them and their lines are seen as underachieving? 

i mean, outside of their "skill position" guys their entire business is basically having guys there for 4-5 years and develop the crap out of them/maximize them.

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

Since nobody asked, let me just state that I hate it when people use "skill players" or "skill positions." It's a slight to linemen as if a center, who calls the blocking scheme and puts his hand on the ball every play, has no skill. Or a tackle, who has to be able to read defense and counter players who are both fast and strong. No lineman can get by on just athleticism. They  have to continuously improve their skills. Every football player is a skilled player.

We've seen what happens when you don't have skilled players in those skill positions called tackle, guard, and center.

Call the other positions something else: pretty boys, the small and fast group, the darlings of 7-on-7. Just don't call them skill players at the expense of the people who provide those guys the time and space to be seen.

Take it to Cloak Room, pal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hahahahahaha. Good luck with that quest, my big ugly. 

Stick to lineman challenged fatty. Skill competition all day!

9ogpoqfpepr21.jpg

On 5/5/2021 at 4:13 PM, texifornia said:

We're in the new Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball) book! Oh.... wait....

I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

2 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I call them the big nerds since they do their homework regularly and try to go to Stanford all the time.