2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

8 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Since nobody asked, let me just state that I hate it when people use "skill players" or "skill positions." It's a slight to linemen as if a center, who calls the blocking scheme and puts his hand on the ball every play, has no skill. Or a tackle, who has to be able to read defense and counter players who are both fast and strong. No lineman can get by on just athleticism. They  have to continuously improve their skills. Every football player is a skilled player.

We've seen what happens when you don't have skilled players in those skill positions called tackle, guard, and center.

Call the other positions something else: pretty boys, the small and fast group, the darlings of 7-on-7. Just don't call them skill players at the expense of the people who provide those guys the time and space to be seen.

How many of these shirts do you own?

Ey5g1--WYAUbtpx.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Since nobody asked, let me just state that I hate it when people use "skill players" or "skill positions." It's a slight to linemen as if a center, who calls the blocking scheme and puts his hand on the ball every play, has no skill. Or a tackle, who has to be able to read defense and counter players who are both fast and strong. No lineman can get by on just athleticism. They  have to continuously improve their skills. Every football player is a skilled player.
We've seen what happens when you don't have skilled players in those skill positions called tackle, guard, and center.
Call the other positions something else: pretty boys, the small and fast group, the darlings of 7-on-7. Just don't call them skill players at the expense of the people who provide those guys the time and space to be seen.
Man, come on...

Nobody says "unskilled positions".

9 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

You had me at "nobody asked."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah. But good thing about a salary, if you’re good at your job (and Jeff Banks is very good at his) there’s always a new deposit in the bank every couple weeks, for as long as you want to work. Spend it or die with it, and Jeff seems like he knows how to live. And I’ve literally seen photos of Dani carrying home multiple Glad yard bags stuffed with cash, so she’s capable of paying her own way. She’s very good, too.

I just hope fucking Austin Karens don’t piss her off too much and ruin what I expect to be a good thing. Dani has already posted about some busybodies, up in her business. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yeah. But good thing about a salary, if you’re good at your job (and Jeff Banks is very good at his) there’s always a new deposit in the bank every couple weeks, for as long as you want to work. Spend it or die with it, and Jeff seems like he knows how to live. And I’ve literally seen photos of Dani carrying home multiple Glad yard bags stuffed with cash, so she’s capable of paying her own way. She’s very good, too.

I just hope fucking Austin Karens don’t piss her off too much and ruin what I expect to be a good thing. Dani has already posted about some busybodies, up in her business. 

I wonder how that whole pole dancer thing is gonna work when Banks starts taking head coach interviews. 

Might be time someone had " the talk" with our girl. 

The monkey to. 

1 minute ago, NorLa Horns said:

I wonder how that whole pole dancer thing is gonna work when Banks starts taking head coach interviews. 

Might be time someone had " the talk" with our girl. 

The monkey to. 

I think it just requires some terse words by her: Respect my position!

And fuck all of you for the softball over the plate.

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I just hope fucking Austin Karens don’t piss her off too much and ruin what I expect to be a good thing. Dani has already posted about some busybodies, up in her lady-business. 

Fify

is she not retired from stripping?  thought she was.  now she’s just a beautiful wife providing love and support to her adoring husband. 
She's said she's retired several times over the part couple of years, I guess since she got her meal ticket in Jeff. She's started up a side business called Twistystyle Productions to sign and manage other pole artists, but I don't think she's performing anymore - at least publicly.

And she's wearing a ring and calling him "hubs" but I'm not sure if they're legally married or not.

18 hours ago, Machinator said:

Maybe I'm a little sexist, but it always bothers me when someone who doesn't work (outside the bedroom) talks about "my" stuff as if they could even imagine buying it without the million dollar special teams coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Eggo said:

Maybe I'm a little sexist, but it always bothers me when someone who doesn't work (outside the bedroom) talks about "my" stuff as if they could even imagine buying it without the million dollar special teams coach. 

Seems likely that if it weren't the million dollar coach, it'd be a million dollar something else. She's gorgeous and apparently talented. 

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Seems likely that if it weren't the million dollar coach, it'd be a million dollar something else. She's gorgeous and apparently talented. 

Fine, but what's wrong with calling it "our house"? 

Glad we're getting something in the Malcolm Epps trade.
Not just that, we have two players coming in that were 5* out of hs. That doesnt always mean what we want it to, but we would be have been elated if both were in our signing day class.

6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Fine, but what's wrong with calling it "our house"? 

Nothing's wrong with it. It's certainly reasonable, but so is "my house". In most cases, it's the wife who selects the house, so I think it's perfectly acceptable for her to call it "my house". 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 5/7/2021 at 10:58 AM, South Austin said:
Glad we're getting something in the Malcolm Epps trade.

Not just that, we have two players coming in that were 5* out of hs. That doesnt always mean what we want it to, but we would be have been elated if both were in our signing day class.

Do you think a former 5* transferring into a new program is more or less humble than they were going into the original program? I'm all for taking other programs' bust recruits if it means they have grown a heightened appreciation for hard work and find a way to reach their 5* potential. 

On the other hand, if they come here with a shitty entitlement and are poison in the locker room, I don't want them. 

Edited by Eggo
Missing apostrophe

Do you think a former 5* transferring into a new program is more or less humble than they were going into the original program? I'm all for taking other programs' bust recruits if it means they have grown a heightened appreciation for hard work and find a way to reach their 5* potential. 
On the other hand, if they come here with a shitty entitlement and are poison in the locker room, I don't want them. 
I dont get that feeling with either of them..Ben Davis was simply buried behind other 5*/high 4*'s on the depth chart, and the kid whos name I wont even attempt can likely see the fighting Heltons arent long for this world.

28 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Did I miss something--is that prick Juwan Mitchell coming back?

56 minutes ago, Eggo said:

41 minutes ago, Eggo said:

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

I’m gonna assume that’s part of the math when our staff reaches out. I get the feeling with our guys that they are looking to contribute. Ben Davis is looking to shine as much as possible

IT

Spoiler

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin

More from online coaching clinics

Terry Joseph had a strong presentation. He went over his teaching process with his defensive backs, particularly corners, focusing mostly on some of the drills he relies on for developing the cornerbacks.

Like the other coaches on this staff, he put a big emphasis on teaching players the overall concept they were playing to make sure players understand why they're doing what they're doing. Joseph said they don't want or need to teach the players all of the checks to a defense if they can teach them the concept well enough for the players to be able to figure things out on their own when the offense adjusts.

Joseph also talked a lot about helping each player develop his own game, giving them options and tools to use and determine for themselves what's most comfortable and effective.

For most everything in his drills and teachings he'd have about three points. "That way I can remember myself and if you have more than three they'll start to tune you out anyways."

In choosing cornerbacks, Joseph had three traits he likes to look for: "can he play man coverage? Can he tackle?" And, "can he play the ball?"

They teach guys in man coverage not to play the ball but to play the man first, "if you're watching the quarterback throw it you'll be watching them catch it" and was honest about telling players if they're badly beat on a pass to tackle the receiver or at least grab a hand and take the defensive pass interference penalty.

Joseph went over a lot of drills with different backpedals, showing D'Shawn Jamison struggling to turn upfield in an early scrimmage and slipping, leading to a big run after the catch, then later getting it right on the pick-6 in the spring game.

Jamison came up regularly as a positive example, getting off blocks and demonstrating good form attacking a receiver's hands after the catch.

Joseph's tackling drills focused on teaching guys how to adjust live and see "yellow light" tackles where the offensive player has a two-way go and the tackler needs to tamper down vs "green light" tackles where the offensive player has a one way go and the tackler should run through him.

Like in the instance of being beat in coverage, Joseph went over the gator roll tackle as a way to get an offensive player down when there aren't better options.

Another interesting tool Joseph went over is a peer evaluation form he'll give his players asking them to tell him how they'd rank their teammates in the unit based on a few factors (and you can't rank yourself). "They'll tell you who they think the most talented and trustworthy teammates are."

AJ Milwee explained the #AllGasNoBrakes philosophy and quarterback development. "We don't use drills like you'd see at the Elite11; all our drills are designed to help our players execute our offense."

Like Joseph, he emphasized teaching the broader concept of a play. Teach the quarterback 1) What to do 2) How to do it 3) Why it's important to do it that way.

They're looking for all the normal traits everyone else is looking for in a quarterback. Competitiveness, decision-making, accuracy, etc. Milwee did put particular emphasis on mental and physical toughness and then guys with quick hands. He mentioned multi-sport players often have quicker hands which makes a big difference in the RPO game or in getting the ball out against pressure. Athleticism and arm strength were emphasized as being important only to a certain baseline. They want guys who can make the throws the offense needs to make and who aren't totally immobile targets in the pass-rush.

While they have a thorough run game and play-action there's a lot of RPOs in the offense and Milwee went over some of the RPOs and how they give their quarterbacks as many reps as they can to master them.

”All gas no brakes means score as many points as we possibly can," Milwee said of the offensive approach to attacking defenses.

He went over some of their drills for quarterbacks and how they'll give the quarterback a normal looking drill but be telling them the concept and formation so they can practice getting their eyes to the right spots before throwing the practice toss based on an imagined progression.

Milwee would give guys a few different tools like Joseph to throw the football and talked about letting the quarterback decide if a 5-step drop and plant was more comfortable or if they needed to use a 3-step and hitch approach to help them drive the ball. Hudson Card used the former, Casey Thompson started with the 5-step but switched to the 3-step later in spring practice because it was easier for him.

Both quarterbacks were sharp in the RPO cut-ups and it didn't look like they were holding anything back from the Alabama days. They'd even give them full field RPO reads and Milwee had some clips of Hudson Card throwing RPOs to the opposite side of the mesh with the running back, often on glance routes to the boundary. He’d turn to the running back on the field side, then flip his hips all the way back to throw a glance to the opposite side of the field.

After going over their RPOs, Milwee went into depth on how they use the "mesh" route combination everyone in football loves right now. "This is great for beating man coverage but we liked it in spring against zone as well if the quarterback uses his eyes right." It's a pure progression scheme for them, they ran the play from a lot of formations but the quarterback always reads the wheel route to the running back, then the mesh, then the over route, and finally the "oh s****, shallow-sit" route which makes up the fourth read in the progression. Apparently at Alabama they never made it all the way to the shallow-sit in the progression until the playoffs on a big third down.

Both quarterbacks looked good on mesh as well. Again, most of the clips showing a quarterback getting deeper into the progression involved Hudson Card, including one where he got to the third read in the spring game for a big gain to Al’vonte Woodard.

Sadly he ran out of time before he could dive into the play-action passing play he'd prepared.

Everyone on the staff is big on teaching team concepts and drilling them carefully, it was an impressive series of clinics.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2