2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

It’s a little odd that my guy Sark, who is kind of a California beach bum, is now hanging out in Austin, where he’s going to have to learn to enjoy Tex-Mex as opposed to fish tacos.

How a Californian could've ever survived in places like Alabama and Provo is truly impressive.

One of many stupid takes by Neuheisel.

• Like 1

It’s a little odd that my guy Sark, who is kind of a California beach bum, is now hanging out in Austin, where he’s going to have to learn to enjoy Tex-Mex as opposed to fish tacos.
How a Californian could've ever survived in places like Alabama and Provo is truly impressive.
One of many stupid takes by Neuheisel.
fuck california
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

FCB

Hide contents

In this week’s edition of The Insider, I pick the brain of former Colorado, Washington and UCLA head coach Rick Neuheisel, now a go-to college football analyst for CBS (with former Longhorn linebacker Brian Jones) and co-host of Full Ride weekdays on SiriusXM Radio (Ch. 84).

Having been the head coach at Washington as well as a former college quarterback who knows Steve Sarkisian, I wanted to get Neuheisel’s perspective on Sark being hired at Texas.

“I’m happy for Sark,” Neuheisel said. “It’s a great road back to where he belongs, which is as a head coach. He worked hard for Pete Carroll and earned his position as a head coach.

“He obviously ran into some issues that cost him the job at USC. But he’s done a nice job of building himself back up. The job he did at Alabama the last two years is nothing short of genius.

“A lot of people will say anyone can paint when you have that kind of canvas and materials at Alabama. But it was still Rembrandt-esque in terms of how they looked as an offense. The numbers were staggering.

“I’m just happy he’s gotten the chance to be a head coach again. It’s a little odd that my guy Sark, who is kind of a California beach bum, is now hanging out in Austin, where he’s going to have to learn to enjoy Tex-Mex as opposed to fish tacos. But this is a program (Texas) that wants to be at the top. Sark has been at the top (at Alabama). Now, it’s just a question of if he can be both CEO of a program and offensive guru. That’s the question.”

As an offensive-minded head coach who called plays, Neuheisel knows what it takes to manage a big-time program while also being the offensive play caller.

“It’s a challenge,” Neuheisel said. “What made Sark special is the ability to call plays. But there were times at USC when calling the plays caused him to lose track of managing the clock.

“There was a game against Arizona State when he was still in his tempo mode instead of running time off the clock, and Todd Graham’s Sun Devils beat him on a Hail Mary (in 2014) on a play that never should’ve happened. There should’ve been no time left on the clock.

“So with all the analysts you can have at your disposal as a college head coach today, if he were listening to me, he would have someone who is helping manage all those in-game, head-coaching decisions, so that he can still keep his mind as the offensive juggernaut coach.

“He’s got Pete Kwiatkowski as his defensive coordinator, who’s done it for a long time and doesn’t need help during a game - except maybe in a late-game situation when the analyst comes on the headphones and says to Sark, ‘Hey, you need to tell Coach Kwiatkowski we need the ball back, so it doesn’t matter if the other team scores here.’

“Sometimes the defensive coach needs to hear that stuff. But if the offensive coach is thinking about what he needs to run when he gets the ball back, he might forget to tell the defensive coach that. So someone needs to be thinking as the head coach all game long and getting in Sark’s ear, so Sark can stay the Rembrandt of offense.”

What stands out about Sarkisian as a play-caller?

“I think he and Lane Kiffin have a lot of similarities. They look for matchups and the best ways to get their playmakers the ball in space and try to get their quarterbacks to understand you’re going from one, to two, to three - more of a progression read - when they are in par-down play calling, meaning when the down and distance is in their favor or at least neutral.

“When they’re in par-down, they’re trying to create matchups. Go back to Lane Kiffin when he was at Alabama when Amari Cooper had more than 100 catches. There’s a famous play when Lane Kiffin threw his hands up in the air to signal touchdown before the ball is even snapped. All we saw at that point was Amari Cooper going in motion. But Kiffin knew the secondary was making the adjustment that he had envisioned and coached his quarterback on. What he told the quarterback was, ‘You’re going to Amari on this play, unless this happens, and then you’re checking down.’

“He wasn’t reading a coverage, so to speak. He was reading the adjustment to Amari, and when he got the adjustment he wanted, he put his hands in the air, because he knew the matchup was favorable, and Amari did, in fact, score a touchdown on the play.

“Sark has done that, too. He did it beautifully with DeVonta Smith at Alabama. It resulted in a Heisman Trophy. Sark and Lane Kiffin are guys who can get the ball where they want to get it when they are in par-down situations.

“I was raised as a quarterback to know more of what was happening on the other side of the ball, and once I got confirmation of what the defense was doing, I had the keys to the car to change the play to take advantage of what I’ve learned from the defense.

“It’s like sitting at a poker table and knowing the defense has a couple of eights, and I’m holding kings, so now it’s time to go all in, and I can change the bet. That’s how I was taught.

“They teach more of, ‘I’ve got this play. If it’s not there this time, we’ll get it another time.’ And it’s based on all the coaches’ film study. They’re playing quarterback through the kid on the field.

“I was taught that the coaches are giving me a play call, but if the defense shows me certain things, I have license to change the call to take advantage, not just check down. And that’s more of what Joe Burrow did in his magical year at LSU.”

Sarkisian doesn’t have the talent level at Texas he had at Alabama, so how does that change things in terms of how he calls the offense?

“I don’t know that it changes the way he calls the offense. He’ll have to determine, based on the quality of the defense at Texas, how flamboyant he can be in his offensive play calling. As a head coach, you absolutely have to play strategically off of each other.

“You can win with less than spectacular players offensively, because your scheme can work. Army and Navy win games every year with lesser athletes because they have triple option.

“Sark knows how to create triple option without being in the wishbone. Triple option can be RPO. It can be RPO with a bubble screen and a slant. There’s ways to get the ball to people in space via triple option - meaning the quarterback has three different ways to go based on what he sees. And you can do that with less than first-round talent.

“Now, you have to have great talent defensively to keep up with the Oklahomas, which of course, is where Texas is going to be measured.

“Oklahoma comes back this year with a fabulous team. Spencer Rattler is more experienced at quarterback. We know Lincoln Riley’s prowess as a quarterback developer and play-caller.

“Sark will be in that matchup, and that will be a great storyline for all of us in college football as we analyze the upcoming season. But Sark is going to have to have a defense that allows him to be a little flamboyant offensively, otherwise he’s going to have to take clock more into consideration, which has not been his strength over the years. He likes to go for it. It’s the Pete Carroll in him. Damn the torpedoes.”

What’s a reasonable expectation for Texas fans in Sarkisian’s first year as head coach?

“I would say it’s reasonable for Texas fans to expect to be in the Big 12 race every year. There’s no reason from a recruiting standpoint that you can’t be in it - especially now that we have pseudo free agency in college football with the transfer portal.

“Texas is always going to be that desirable of a location and a place to play as a brand that you should be in that race into the month of November every time - every time.

“What has kept Texas from achieving what everybody wants who loves the burnt orange has been the inability to create harmony between the president, the athletic director, the head coach and a very, very involved group of alumni.

“I mean when you land to play the Texas Longhorns, you see learjet after private jet after Citation after Gulfstream. They’re all out there with the Hook ‘Em signs on ‘em. It’s the Texas Air Force. Well, that Texas Air Force has Texas influence, which is big.

“Mack Brown was the last one to really kind of bring it all together, and it’s because he had that CEO chip in his DNA.

“He had that ability to galvanize all those alums and make them feel like they were close to the program and that their voices were being heard. And Mack had the ability to get the athletic director and president on the same page about what was best for the program and for the university. And Mack was willing to listen to their thoughts as well, so it all worked.

“They failed at the end of Mack’s tenure, because they were the victims of their own success. They went out and recruited after they finished a signing class, and had a Junior Day, and they’d commit everybody.

“The problem is, with youngsters, they don’t all develop at the same time. So they were taking guys at the end of their junior year and not waiting to see who’d be promising in their senior year - like RGIII (Robert Griffin) or go on down the list.

“All of a sudden, Texas wasn’t getting the best. Some would say they were lackadaisical. Some would say they were lazy. Make whatever excuse you want to make, but that was the end of the Mack Brown era.

“From then on, whether it was Charlie (Strong) or Tom (Herman), that triumvirate of head coach, AD and president wasn’t working, and then when you add in that fourth element, which is that really influential list of alums - who are a part of that Texas Air Force - it hasn’t come together.

“That’s what Sark has to realize - that it’s not just the school president and AD, as it might be at some places. Texas alums are part of the program - and should be part of the program. It’s what makes Texas special. It’s what makes Texas elite. But it takes somebody with real deft skill with people to bring them all together into a harmonious force that is operating in one direction, which is a powerful direction.”

In the last seven years, Texas has lost a lot of games it was expected to win. How does Sarkisian turn that around?

“With Steve Sarkisian as the leader of your offense and with Pete Kwiatkowski as the leader of your defense, I think you’re going to be fundamentally sound. I don’t know Texas’ talent through and through, but they’ll be fundamentally sound.

“So the likelihood of beating yourself in those games is going to be small. And if you don’t beat yourself in Big 12 play, you’ve got a pretty good chance to be successful, especially when you have some difference makers. The running back (Bijan Robinson), and Sark’s quarterbacks have always developed into difference makers. And if they don’t, you’ll get somebody out of the portal who is, because there’s some in there.

“It would be mind-blowing for me to see Steve Sarkisian’s offense not be explosive. It would be mind-blowing for me to see Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense giving up giant plays. It doesn’t mean you’re going to win ‘em all, but you’re going to be in ‘em all. And then it comes down to fundamentally understanding how to finish games. And that’s what Alabama and Washington, under Chris Petersen, were really good at.”

Sarkisian will be going up against Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley, who is considered one of the best quarterback developers and play callers in all of college football. How do you see that matchup going?

“Lincoln Riley has taken the RPO to a new level,” Nehuheisel said. “The RPO used to be all based on zone, but he’s brought it to the gap scheme with some really unique stuff. And if Caleb Williams, the five-star quarterback from (Washington) D.C., pushes Spencer Rattler and his legs are as-advertised, it’s going to be hell fire for defensive coordinators.”

Riley has shown he’s willing to run his quarterbacks a little more than Sarkisian has.

“When you had the luxury of the offensive line that Sark had at Alabama and certainly that he had at USC under Pete Carroll, you don’t have to have the quarterback run the ball,” Neuheisel said.

“But when you have an offensive lineman or two that you have to hide, who aren’t the dominant guys and will be exposed if put in a lot of drop-back passing situations, then having them run block while you’re throwing a pass - because the RPO advantage says pass - that to me is just brilliant football.

“It’s what makes college football so fun, and why, when we get really good offenses, we see the SEC championship game be a 52-46 game. And neither one of the quarterbacks in that game - Kyle Trask or Mac Jones - is a runner.

“That’s because the offensive lines knew what they were doing with great protection schemes, and the offenses were really balanced. But if you don’t have that kind of balance, the quarterback’s legs are a great equalizer and should be part of the offense when you’re facing a tough defense that you want to control.”

Sarkisian has said he’d like his Texas team to be bigger. What does that mean to you?

“He wants them to be like Alabama. You look at Deonte Brown and Alex Leatherwood. Talk about two immovable objects. Those guys were giants. He wants them to be bigger, wants them to be maulers. When you can run the ball because they can move the defensive line, which is difficult to do.

“But there aren’t a lot of defensive linemen out there. I call them the gold bullion of college football, because they aren’t growing on trees. They’re few and far between. But when Alabama can secure 13 of them, and Clemson can get another 10, and Ohio State takes the other six, everyone else is kind of scrambling around to see if they can find a 300-pounder. But if Texas can get into that gold bullion market, it makes them less apt to have to pressure.

“If I go back to that game against LSU and Joe Burrow, that was a cover zero blitz that ended up getting Texas beat. It was a brilliant game, but if you’re big up front, you don’t have to be in cover zero. You can get home with your four-man pressure, and you can cover, and Caden Sterns isn’t left there holding the bag.

“So the bottom line is getting those kinds of athletes, like Alabama, like the chosen universities right now, that’s how you get to the mountain top.

“But before you talk about being like Alabama, there’s that red menace in Norman, Oklahoma.”

What’s been holding Texas back the past seven years?

“Watching Charlie Strong and Tom Herman, they’re both good coaches, but Texas has got to play cleaner,” Neuheisel said. “You can’t turn it over as much as Texas has over the last several years.”

If you were advising Texas fans on how to approach the Sarkisian era, what would you say?

“Texas needs to just relax and let this happen,” Neuheisel said. “You’ve got a great athletic director in Chris Del Conte. You’ve got a great head coach in Steve Sarkisian, who knows what he’s doing.

“Your defensive coordinator is impeccable. I tried to hire Pete Kwiatkowski at UCLA, and he knew I didn’t have enough players, so he said no. I’m tellin’ ya, you’ve got what you need. Now, just give ‘em your support, and you’ll get yourselves in this college football Holy Grail - the College Football Playoff - because college football needs Texas to be good to be at its very best. So, wishing everybody the very best in burnt orange.”

REMEMBERING JAKE EHLINGER

Wednesday’s celebration of Jake Ehlinger’s life was simultaneously heart-breaking and uplifting.

The Texas Longhorns’ football team, coach Steve Sarkisian, athletic director Chris Del Conte, former coach Tom Herman and his wife, Michelle, and even Bevo - were all in attendance for the service at Riverbend Church in Austin.

Jake’s closest friends, his Austin Westlake high school coach Todd Dodge and his older brother, Sam Ehlinger, stepped to a podium next to Jake’s flower-covered coffin and described a bigger-than-life, hyper-competitive, loving, gooftball of a man who had an impenetrable faith in God and belief in eternal life.

A tweet posted by Jake Ehlinger, a sophomore linebacker for the Longhorns, on May 31, 2018, was printed in the program for Ehlinger’s memorial service:

“It’s impossible not to smile knowing we will forever be loved by our impeccable God.”

Sam Ehlinger said, “As your big brother, you looked up to me. But I learned so much from you Jake, and now I’m looking up to you - watching over our family with Dad.”

Ross Ehlinger, the father of Sam, Jake and Morgen Ehlinger and husband to Jena Ehlinger, died in 2013 of apparent cardiac arrest after diving into the water as part of the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon in San Francisco.

“Jake was never the same after Dad died,” Sam said. “They had a special bond. And now they’re together again.”

Todd Dodge said Jake Ehlinger is the only player he’s had at Westlake who called him on Father’s Day to wish him a happy Father’s Day.

“Who does that? What teen-aged kid thinks like that?” Dodge said. “Jake Ehlinger - that’s who.”

Good  Stuff...   Thx TARS 🤘

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I listen to Neuheisel regularly. I don’t always agree with his takes, but he’s about as good as they get on XM84 or tv. 

His best quality is that he comes on directly after McElroy so no matter what Rick says it is already the best take of the day by a country mile

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Athletic: Ten Texas players whose stock I’m buying following Longhorns spring practices

nothing new/groundbreaking here. hopefully the team actually, you know, uses one of their weapons on offense?

TE Jared Wiley: One of the first players who caught the new coaching staff’s attention as it settled in at Texas is Wiley. His size (6-7, 255 pounds) allows him to be a hand-in-the-dirt guy if needed; his athleticism makes him a legitimate option in the passing game. Sarkisian’s offense will heavily use tight ends as run blockers, pass blockers and receivers (Sarkisian said after quarterback, you could argue that tight end is the most important position in his system). After Malcolm Epps, who was one of many tight end options on the roster, recently transferred to USC, it’s clear that Wiley and super senior Cade Brewer are the top two players the Longhorns will lean on at the position.

full:

Spoiler

Ten Texas players whose stock I’m buying following Longhorns spring practices

whitt-stock-1024x683.jpg
By Sam Khan Jr. 53m ago comment-icon@2x.png 1 save-icon@2x.png

For Steve Sarkisian and his staff, their first spring in Austin provided a chance to teach schemes, assess the talent and discover deficiencies that need addressing. Over the course of Texas’ sessions, several players stood out, some who are looking for bigger roles this fall and others who have been key contributors in the past but are poised to take their games to the next level.

Here are 10 players who I’m buying stock in coming off their spring performances, listed in alphabetical order:

DT Keondre Coburn: The defensive line is one of the strengths of this Texas team — Sarkisian said as much after spring football concluded — and Coburn sets the tone for the unit. He won over the new coaching staff with his energy, leadership and intensity this spring. “I love that guy,” Sarkisian said. “He brings it every day.” Coburn’s experience playing in multiple defensive fronts throughout his career has helped him adjust to new defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski’s multiple defensive scheme — which will employ three, four and even two, down linemen — seamlessly. Coburn, a two-year starter, is poised for an all-conference caliber season.

LB David Gbenda: The Longhorns were thin at linebacker after the departure of Juwan Mitchell, who transferred to Tennessee, and an injury that kept DeMarvion Overshown out of spring practice, but Gbenda showed up in a big way. Primarily a reserve linebacker and special teams contributor before this season, Gbenda impressed with his work ethic, his communication skills and his playmaking ability. Sarkisian called him a physical player who had a “real leader’s mentality.” Gbenda will likely assume a bigger role this season.

RB Roschon Johnson: Much of the offensive focus is on Bijan Robinson, and rightfully so, but Johnson has been reliable in his time at Texas, and that hasn’t changed this offseason. Sarkisian cited Johnson as one of the team’s top players when it comes to work ethic. His versatility as both a ball carrier and a receiver out of the backfield will be an asset to Texas’ offense. At 6-foot-2, 223 pounds, he’s a big, physical back who’s tough to tackle and catches the ball well, making him a quality complement to Robinson.

DE Jacoby Jones: The former junior college transfer took advantage of the extra year of eligibility to return for 2021 as a super senior, and the Longhorns could use his help as a pass rusher. The 6-4, 262-pound Jones performed well throughout spring and in the spring game, consistently putting pressure on the quarterback. Sarkisian cited Jones’ effectiveness throughout spring, which is promising for Texas’ defensive front.

DT Moro Ojomo: Though he’s a junior, it’s easy to forget Ojomo is still young (he turns 20 in August; he was 16 when he signed with Texas in February 2018), and he’s still developing. After flashing his ability as a starter last season, he built on it this offseason. He moved from defensive end to the interior defensive line and produced consistent results. He had three sacks in Texas’ spring game and Coburn said that was emblematic of Ojomo’s spring, in which he consistently won his one-on-one battles.

LB/DE Ray Thornton: The Longhorns need pass rushers after Joseph Ossai moved on to the NFL, which is why they acquired Thornton, a former LSU linebacker, as a graduate transfer. He played in 41 career games for the Tigers, recording 45 tackles, 5 1/2 tackles for loss, three sacks and a forced fumble. Thornton, who is from Killeen, wasted no time catching everyone’s eye at Texas. A quick study to Kwiatkowski’s scheme, he quickly made an impact during scrimmages as a high-energy, hard-working player. He proved a challenge for the offense to handle, which is a good sign for the pass rush.

DB Jerrin Thompson: The sophomore saw lots of action last season, both on special teams and on defense, and followed it up with a good spring performance. Multiple teammates singled out Thompson: Johnson said Thompson got more physical and challenged him every day; Gbenda said though Thompson may be young, “he has leadership qualities that I respect.” Thompson flashed in the spring game, with a sack on a safety blitz. With Caden Sterns gone, Thompson — who started the last two games after Sterns’ opted out late last season — will be key in filling the free safety void.

WR Troy Omeire: If not for a knee injury in training camp, Omeire had a chance to be a key contributor to the 2020 team. The four-star recruit from the 2020 class was well-regarded before a torn ACL ended his freshman campaign before it started. His recovery has gone well and he was able to run, participate in individual drills and even make appearances in Texas’ last two spring scrimmages, albeit wearing a non-contact jersey. If his recovery from surgery continues to progress well and he’s ready for kickoff in September, it would be a nice boost to Texas’ passing game.

WR Jordan Whittington: The third-year sophomore garnered nearly universal praise this spring for how good he looked. Finally healthy after dealing with multiple injuries in his first two years, Whittington picked up Sarkisian’s offense quickly, was a regular standout during practices and scrimmages and has assumed a leadership role. “From the day I got here, he’s done everything I’ve asked,” Sarkisian said. “He’s been a playmaker … and he’s also been a real asset on special teams.” If he can stay healthy, Whittington should be in store for a breakout year, because Texas is thin on proven receiver options.

TE Jared Wiley: One of the first players who caught the new coaching staff’s attention as it settled in at Texas is Wiley. His size (6-7, 255 pounds) allows him to be a hand-in-the-dirt guy if needed; his athleticism makes him a legitimate option in the passing game. Sarkisian’s offense will heavily use tight ends as run blockers, pass blockers and receivers (Sarkisian said after quarterback, you could argue that tight end is the most important position in his system). After Malcolm Epps, who was one of many tight end options on the roster, recently transferred to USC, it’s clear that Wiley and super senior Cade Brewer are the top two players the Longhorns will lean on at the position.

Five more to watch: TE Cade Brewer, DL Vernon Broughton, K/P Cameron Dicker, LB Prince Dorbah, CB Darion Dunn.

(Photo of D’Shawn Jamison, left, and Jordan Whittington: Adam Davis / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

What did you think of this story?
rating-meh@2x.png
MEH
rating-solid@2x.png
SOLID
rating-awesome@2x.png
AWESOME
Khan-Sam-HEadshot-031521-.jpg
Sam Khan Jr. is a senior writer for The Athletic, covering college football and recruiting primarily in Texas. Previously, he spent eight years covering college sports at ESPN.com and seven years as a sports reporter at the Houston Chronicle. A native Houstonian, Sam graduated from the University of Houston. Follow Sam on Twitter @skhanjr.

• Hook 'Em 2

relevant bits from Sam Kahn Jr's mailbag on 5/7

nothing huge or groundbreaking here, he is *clearly* a rather large step down from Kaelen Jones (the Texas beat from last year guy they let go)

What are realistic expectations to have of Texas under Steve Sarkisian in his first year? I know a lot of us fans want to believe that we can be competing for the Big 12 title, but are we going to wait and just be hoping for a high-ranking bowl game? — Devon D.

The realistic expectation is improvement. Remember, new coaches are usually hired for one of two reasons: either the previous one moved on to a better job or he was fired. Texas falls into the latter category, which means Sarkisian takes over a team with flaws.

Could the Longhorns sneak into the Big 12 Championship Game this year? Possibly. Do I expect that? Not at all. If Sarkisian takes them to 10 wins and a New Year’s Six bowl this year, that would be a huge step forward. I know Texas fans always expect championships, but I would temper those expectations for 2021. Even an 8-4 or 9-3 season is fine. Rather than focus on national glory, the Longhorns would be better served figuring out how to beat TCU, which they have done only once in the last seven tries. Or how to keep Alabama and Ohio State from swiping five-star prospects the Longhorns need to reach such expectations.

Can Steve Sarkisian take Texas to the Big 12 title game in his first season? What are realistic expectations? (Scott Wachter / USA Today)

The schedule is no cakewalk, especially early. Louisiana may be a Group of 5 program, but it’s good and returns the vast majority of its 2020 team. The road game at Arkansas in Week 2 could also be challenging.

This is a long-term project for Sarkisian. He’s starting with a better foundation than what Tom Herman started with, but it will still take time. My question is: Will he be given that time?

-

This is a long-term project for Sarkisian. He’s starting with a better foundation than what Tom Herman started with, but it will still take time. My question is: Will he be given that time?

Tom Herman getting let go had nothing to do with time and everything to do with results (like Strong before him) - how anyone could look at the Tom Herman situation and say "yeah, he just needed another year" is all i need to know about them as a writer or analyst. just the absolute laziest take from a guy who is a self-proclaimed "Texpert" (he is basically TheAthletic's State of Texas CFB writer)

Spoiler

There are now two recruiting seasons: signing day(s) and then the transfer portal. Which schools in Texas are benefiting the most from the portal? — Tim K.

Evaluating the best is tricky because not every school’s needs are the same. Some simply need to fill holes for depth reasons, others need multiple impact players. Or there’s Texas State, which our own Andy Staples wrote about in December, which is filling virtually its entire 2021 class via the portal (the Bobcats have since added one 2021 signee from outside the portal, junior college defensive end DeOnte Washington).

Besides Texas State, here are the FBS teams in Texas that have impressed me the most with their use of the transfer portal:

Texas Tech: As I covered quite a bit in my recent State of the Program on the Red Raiders, coach Matt Wells has done well to find impact players in the portal. At the minimum, Texas Tech found a likely starting quarterback (Tyler Shough), a starting left tackle (T.J. Storment) and a starting defensive back (Marquis Waters). In the last cycle, the Red Raiders landed defensive end Tyree Wilson, offensive lineman Josh Burger, defensive back Eric Monroe and linebackers Jacob Morgenstern and Brandon Bouyer-Randle. Those are all key players for this year’s team. Quarterback Henry Colombi, who was also a portal find in 2020, started four games last year and is competing with Shough for the job this year.

SMU: The Mustangs found a legitimate starting quarterback option and a star tight end, both from Oklahoma: Tanner Mordecai and Grant Calcaterra. Mordecai came in with a working knowledge of SMU’s offense because of its similarities to Oklahoma’s scheme, and Calcaterra was an All-Big 12 tight end for the Sooners.

Houston: Dana Holgorsen addressed several team needs via the portal. He beefed up experience on the offensive line via Louisiana Tech transfer Kody Russey, who is likely to start at center. He added home-run speed at running back (via Texas Tech transfer Ta’Zhawn Henry), which was lacking. Plus, he found two potential starting receivers (Texas Tech transfer Ke’Sean Carter and UCLA transfer Jaylen Erwin) and a quality Big 12 defensive lineman (Iowa State transfer Latrell Bankston).

Other schools, while not necessarily going heavy in quantity of transfers, have been strategic about filling key positions. Baylor’s addition of nose guard Siaki Ika — who ranked No. 5 in our Transfer Portal Top 50 — will be huge for the Bears defense. Texas A&M (Jahmir Johnson) and TCU (Obinna Eze) found potential starting offensive tackles after losing experience at the position in the offseason. Texas found a possible successor to edge rusher Joseph Ossai in LSU transfer Ray Thornton.

The way I look at it now (and I mentioned this in a discussion with Max Olson and Jason Kersey in this week’s “One True Pod“) is that high school recruiting is to the NFL Draft what the transfer portal is to NFL free agency. The high school prospects are how you build the foundation of your team, while the portal is where you fill immediate starter needs or address depth concerns. And it’s getting much more challenging to build your team with a four-year outlook; roster management is becoming an annual task for coaches to tackle. The pressure to win quickly has led to more coaches taking a short-term approach to their rosters, with an urgency placed upon “what helps us win this season?” The creation of the transfer portal and one-time transfer rule allows this to happen much quicker than in the past, when most transfers were sitting out a year.

///

Has Gary Patterson run out of steam at TCU? Seems like it. This school has so much to offer recruits, so I am surprised they are not consistently better. — John E.

During my trip to Fort Worth this week to visit with Patterson, I didn’t get that vibe. When I walked in, he was doing a scout of Texas by watching its spring game (who knew he had Longhorn Network?), and he had a two-page list in tiny print with names and numbers of dozens of recruits to call. He noted he was up until almost midnight the previous day talking to prospects. He still loves football, and it’s still what he pours the vast majority of his energy into. This year is important, though, because the Horned Frogs have gone three seasons without double-digit wins, the longest such stretch during his 20-year TCU tenure.

Patterson feels pretty good about the team’s 2021 chances. With experienced quarterback Max Duggan, a stock of running backs led by Zach Evans and the potential of sophomore receiver Quentin Johnston, he likes the offensive potential. Defensively he feels good about the defensive line talent and depth and that two starting corners, Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson and Noah Daniels, are back.

Outside of Oklahoma and Iowa State, the clear favorites for the Big 12 title game, TCU has as good a shot as anyone in the league of getting there.

///

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

which means Sarkisian takes over a team with flaws.

No, it fucking doesn't. Every team has flaws. What is does mean is that the previous HC was a fucking moron who not only let the wrong players onto the field, but made stupid game plans and even stupider in-game decisions.

• Hook 'Em 4

IT

Spoiler

TEAM

Obviously, with Jake Ehlinger’s passing and funeral it was a somber week for the program. The timing of that tragic event coincides with the end of the semester and many of the players returning home. Most won’t return until June 1st.

After spring ball finished, Steve Sarkisian reminded his players that just because spring ball was over, it doesn’t mean they aren’t preparing for the upcoming season. He said these down periods is what separates the good from great teams.

The S&C staff makes it easy for the players to stay in shape, provided the players want to. Each player has an app that stores workouts, including how-to videos for specific lifts. The players are also equipped with a meal plan and are urged to track their food.

It’s not easy being a college athlete, but organized programs are certainly accommodating with the demands that go along with being one.

On 5/14/2021 at 8:48 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

10 players listed and no Bijan? Seems like a significant omission 

Bijan was not listed because we had such a brilliant coaching staff that Bijan was held in reserve until needed ....or some other such dumbass reason. At any rate, he got fewer than 50 carries for the season.....How could he be a standout from a National perspective? Fuck Tom Herman.

4 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

Bijan was not listed because we had such a brilliant coaching staff that Bijan was held in reserve until needed ....or some other such dumbass reason. At any rate, he got fewer than 50 carries for the season.....How could he be a standout from a National perspective? Fuck Tom Herman.

wrong

• Hook 'Em 1

Not defending the turtle, but the kid did fold his spine in half in very unnatural way early in one game and was held out the following week as well...which I dont think can be faulted.

Look at it this way, Rona season was a waste anyway...less carries means he has more mileage to give the next two seasons with a real OC.
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, ousux said:

Not defending the turtle, but the kid did fold his spine in half in very unnatural way early in one game and was held out the following week as well...which I dont think can be faulted.

Look at it this way, Rona season was a waste anyway...less carries means he has more mileage to give the next two seasons with a real OC.

So.you are saying 2 Heismans? 

Cool.  I can live with that. 

Texas would have won 10 games had a regular season of games been played. 8 wins would be not be progress. Texas had enough talent to be 3 or 4 plays away from running the table with a shitty coach. Texas now has Top 5 coordinators on both sides of the ball that will be created the game plans. The OL should be better, the DL should be Top 2 in the conference. The secondary should be the best in the conference. Texas likely has the best non QB skill player in the conference, who will battle Rattler for POTY and a spot in NY for the Heisman.

I get that Thompson or Card have little experience, but I think Sarkisian can design game plans that take advantage of their strengths while relying on #5 and #2 to wear down defenses.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas would have won 10 games had a regular season of games been played. 8 wins would be not be progress. Texas had enough talent to be 3 or 4 plays away from running the table with a shitty coach. Texas now has Top 5 coordinators on both sides of the ball that will be created the game plans. The OL should be better, the DL should be Top 2 in the conference. The secondary should be the best in the conference. Texas likely has the best non QB skill player in the conference, who will battle Rattler for POTY and a spot in NY for the Heisman.

I get that Thompson or Card have little experience, but I think Sarkisian can design game plans that take advantage of their strengths while relying on #5 and #2 to wear down defenses.

Yep. This should be the expectation. This team is loaded. This is far from the roster Strong had his first year, and still way better than Herman’s first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We squandered our chance to send blowU packing last year when they were breaking in a new QB while we had a senior 4 year starter (that at least one NFL team thinks can contribute) and comparable roster elsewhere. Now the gooners have an experienced QB who will surely get puke levels of Heisman knob slobbing and half the Vols roster for depth.

If Sark can pull off the upset in October theres no legit reason why we cant run the table and get in the CFB playoffs.

Too many people here underestimating the challenge of transition. If your expectations are conference championship this year, your expectations are simply too high.

Loaded roster or not, you don’t install a new system without hiccups and you don’t change culture in eight months of no competitive games. 

That’s not even considering starting a quarterback who he never started a game in his life.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Too many people here underestimating the challenge of transition. If your expectations are conference championship this year, your expectations are simply too high.

Loaded roster or not, you don’t install a new system without hiccups and you don’t change culture in eight months of no competitive games. 

That’s not even considering starting a quarterback who he never started a game in his life.

Boo hiss.....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I’m not seeing elite talent and experience at very many positions, especially offense. And on defense the depth is not there.

Our receivers were a weakness in most games. Our oline has a bunch of question marks. And I’m not sure where we get pass rush. It was anemic last year and we’re losing the only good edge rusher we had.

Our transfers are guys that lost their spot at other schools. These are not all-conference gets like what basketball is bringing in with Chris Beard.

I go in with little expectations. Hopefully a 2008 like season.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

You’re a Texas Longhorn fan, meaning that things like logic and reasoning does not exist.   The way we cheer for our football team is expect high and pissed rage by the end of the year and in the years that we reach our lofty goals, we shove our burnt orange ragers down anyone who opposes us throats. 

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

I’m not seeing elite talent and experience at very many positions, especially offense. And on defense the depth is not there.

Our receivers were a weakness in most games. Our oline has a bunch of question marks. And I’m not sure where we get pass rush. It was anemic last year and we’re losing the only good edge rusher we had.

Our transfers are guys that lost their spot at other schools. These are not all-conference gets like what basketball is bringing in with Chris Beard.

I go in with little expectations. Hopefully a 2008 like season.

Yeah, after watching the Spring game we currently look like a 7 win team.  However, there's a lot time between now and the season kickoff for improvement in a lot of areas (e.g., OL, WR & LB).  If the team continues to improve then that could add 2 wins to that 7 win projection.  Of course, all of that depends on QB play, if the OL is serviceable and some WRs step up (hello Xavier Worthy).  I think the defense will be the strength of the team and the serious improvement in the coaching staff should help alleviate the utterly stupid in-game decision making from the Herman era.