2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

I’m not seeing elite talent and experience at very many positions, especially offense. And on defense the depth is not there.

Our receivers were a weakness in most games. Our oline has a bunch of question marks. And I’m not sure where we get pass rush. It was anemic last year and we’re losing the only good edge rusher we had.

Our transfers are guys that lost their spot at other schools. These are not all-conference gets like what basketball is bringing in with Chris Beard.

I go in with little expectations. Hopefully a 2008 like season.

Worrying about the OL when they haven't had coaching until Spring 2021 is kind of just being a bitch. Those guys have had Warehime and Hand in charge of coaching them and basing their prior play from that coaching staffs as a dertimination for their future play with an actual good OL coach is dumb. For example, Christian Jones in the fall vs Christian Jones in the spring. Dude looked much different.

Comparing basketball transfers to football transfers is even more laughable. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

The three most worrisome games are as follows:

Louisiana - First game of the season against a solid team that returns most of their guys from the 2020 season.

Oklahoma - Top 5 team, pre-season big 12 favorite, and will be a contender to make it to the  CFB playoff championship game.

Iowa State - Will be up there with Oklahoma in terms of CFB playoff potential and are a pre-season favorite to make the Big 12 title game. 

Worrying about any other game, especially Arkansas just makes you seem like a fucking bitch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Too many people here underestimating the challenge of transition. If your expectations are conference championship this year, your expectations are simply too high.

Loaded roster or not, you don’t install a new system without hiccups and you don’t change culture in eight months of no competitive games. 

That’s not even considering starting a quarterback who he never started a game in his life.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I’m not seeing elite talent and experience at very many positions, especially offense. And on defense the depth is not there.

Our receivers were a weakness in most games. Our oline has a bunch of question marks. And I’m not sure where we get pass rush. It was anemic last year and we’re losing the only good edge rusher we had.

Our transfers are guys that lost their spot at other schools. These are not all-conference gets like what basketball is bringing in with Chris Beard.

I go in with little expectations. Hopefully a 2008 like season.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If Texas should expect 8 wins next year while Iowa State should expect to be a playoff contender, then we should have hired Matt Campbell.  Full stop.  Sark and the AD might want to think a little harder about how they decide to portray these things.  This better be a case of trying to undersell and over deliver rather than actually believing they have a grace period.

What are you going on about

• Hook 'Em 1

A coaching staff in their first year. New QBs. Lots of new faces on both sides of the ball. Depth concerns at almost every positions. JAG transfers. A middling spring game. A new head coach with average HC success and a history of alcoholism.

I can envision massive success with this team. But you cannot count on productivity from players who’ve never done it before. And there are too many reasonable questions on this team to count on anything.

Texas hasn’t won a conference title in over a decade. In fact, we’ve barely even sniffed one outside of a few years.

I’ll give the benefit of doubt to competent coaching, progress, player development, and optimized recruiting. Rinse. Repeat. Then we’ll talk championships and build expectations.

No need to have unreasonably high expectations, lose a few games, piss your pants whining during the season, insult our coaches and players, actively root for the team and players to fail, and lobby for the next coach. And be a massive prick all the time.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

A coaching staff in their first year. New QBs. Lots of new faces on both sides of the ball. Depth concerns at almost every positions. JAG transfers. A middling spring game. A new head coach with average HC success and a history of alcoholism.

I can envision massive success with this team. But you cannot count on productivity from players who’ve never done it before. And there are too many reasonable questions on this team to count on anything.

Texas hasn’t won a conference title in over a decade. In fact, we’ve barely even sniffed one outside of a few years.

I’ll give the benefit of doubt to competent coaching, progress, player development, and optimized recruiting. Rinse. Repeat. Then we’ll talk championships and build expectations.

No need to have unreasonably high expectations, lose a few games, piss your pants whining during the season, insult our coaches and players, actively root for the team and players to fail, and lobby for the next coach. And be a massive prick all the time.

You’re being unreasonably a bitch though. Our depth is fine at most positions. Just because they didn’t do much at their prior schools don’t mean they are jags. By your theory we shouldn’t even win a game but I’ll chalk that up as you being a bitch. 

You’re right though we don’t have the depth of a Bama, Clemson, Ohio State in terms of overall depth. But we’re better than 90-95% of others. Our Jag running back who transferred out is looking to be the starter at USC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Any record below 10-3 for this team should be considered a disappointment and an indictment of Seven Win Steve's hopes as the head man. It feels like every 3-5 pages of this thread gets infected with vaginal secretions and a craven need to lower the expectations of the collective because of a few posters' own weak-willed ability to do anything in life but hide from the sunlight.

I see a lot of knobs on this board continue to buy into the premise that something like an 8 win season will be okay because ... "transition". Right. I was talking to someone in the AD last week and they are pushing that same narrative out. Fuck them and fuck you too. "Arkansas will be tough. Louisiana will be ranked. Someone in the Big 12 is always better than expected. OU and ISU will be top 6 teams."

Just thoughtless, dickless whining trying to lower expectations for the new regime. Guess what? This is a "transition" fucking schedule.

-Arkansas may return a lot, but they lost their best defensive player, the QB, and the #2 WR, at least. Oh, and they went 3 and fucking 7 in a terrible SEC. The fucking expectation is that Texas should beat them, on the road, in a hostile environment. If you don't see it that, you're wrong and you need to fix your bullshit.

-Louisiana returns a lot - a lot of fucking players no one wanted. They may be well coached but if your expectations are so milquetoast and pussified that you don't expect a talented and well-coached Texas roster to go out and beat a fucking Sun Belt team in front of the largest crowd this state has seen in 2 fucking years, with a newly built-out south end zone and its noise wall in structure, then maybe cheering for Texas football isn't the right past time for you. Maybe take up painting or croquet. 

-The Big 12 team that will be and should be better than everyone expects? Yeah, that is Texas. Enough equivocating about OSU or TCU or other drivel from dithering dildos. 

-OU and ISU will be plenty good. Neither team carries more talent into the stadium on game day than Texas. More experience at QB? Sure. It ends there. 

Texas has a full roster. Texas has talent everywhere on the field. Someone whined about depth on defense up above, and I assume it's because they can't read and don't understand what they're watching when they watch the sport. Texas has depth on the DL and in the secondary. Texas has made strides in creating depth at LB. Worried about a pass rush? Fine, but that's what the money is for with this defensive staff. 

On offense there is no dearth of talent at any spot except WR and even there, the starting talent is fine. Whittington and Omeire, if healthy, can play anywhere. TB talent and depth? Check. QB talent and depth? Check. OL talent and depth? Check. If they fucking let Wiley play, there's plenty of help at TE too. 

You know, I typically enjoy your posts and information.

But lately you’ve been prone to throw five hundred words at something that needs fifty while pontificating a bunch of bullshit and slobbering all over yourself in rabid fashion.

As was said above, we haven’t won shit in over a decade and the idea that Sarksian is going to walk in and do that in year 1, while not completely impossible, is highly improbable.

The fact that you don’t consider the OL and TE positions to be lacking talent tells me all I need to know about your definition of talent.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

The fact that you don’t consider the OL and TE positions to be lacking talent tells me all I need to know about your definition of talent.

Two positions where our transfer-happy staff didn't even take a swing at anyone. Not that it was a particularly rich year at OL.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

But lately you’ve been prone to throw five hundred words at something that needs fifty while pontificating a bunch of bullshit and slobbering all over yourself in rabid fashion.

As was said above, we haven’t won shit in over a decade and the idea that Sarksian is going to walk in and do that in year 1, while not completely impossible, is highly improbable.

Lol our coaching staff has been aggressive with the portal but not for those two position groups. Continue to be a worried bitch

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

What do you mean “lately”.  Lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

You're not wrong, but I feel like this may not be the website for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Depth concerns at almost every positions 

Wrong.

A middling spring game.

Huh? Who gives a shit about the spring game? What could even make a spring game "middling"?

A new head coach with average HC success and a history of alcoholism.

If we have to temper our expectations because of his substance abuse history we've made a huge fuckup with this hire. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't understand this theory that 10 wins is some unattainable goal, when last year Texas would have won 10 games had Covid not wiped out LSU, KU, and USF. This team has 10 win talent, and upgraded the coaching on both sides of the ball. Is the schedule anymore difficult than last year, probably not, given the lack of practice time needed to implement the new offense and defense schemes in Herman's farewell season.

I think Texas loses 2 of the 3 following games OU, ISU, and TCU. I think Texas boat races almost everyone else. The only thing that can change my mind is if this team continues to suffer injuries that cost them the last 2 seasons. I also think #5 gets more touches in the 1st 3-1/2 games than he got all of last year and is going to be pushing 20+ TDs.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

OL is an area of weakness unless/until Flood proves me wrong with that unit. Hopefully scheme/mobile QB, and RB talent can make up the difference, but some of y’all seem to expect us to line up and dominate the trenches...

We had a passable OLine last year despite abject schematic and philosophical failures by their coach. We had a high second round draft pick at the position. Our interior is pretty damn solid as a starting point, the question marks being the tackles. Is Christian Jones the answer? Who knows. If Karic is our high floor guy as a fallback, then this line should be plenty good in league play to be in contention for a conference title game birth. The line isn't a glaring weakness as much as it has been in the past. I get that there are questions, but Bijan went scorched earth in the last few games once Hermensa realized he had a Heisman candidate on the roster and continued to do so in the Spring game on limited touches. Outside of OU, there isn't another defensive front in the league that we shouldn't feel confident we can push around.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Tbh, he’s basically become a Surly-fied version of Ian Boyd

renews cbs GIF

I'm not shocked that some have talked themselves into a "bad hire" position prior to any data to demonstrate that.  Look,  it's the off-season and for those half-empty types,  you have every reason to talk yourself into depression.  I choose to believe we'll be noticeably better as a team,  record TBD depending on close game breaks.  I prefer to focus on the need to get back into summer beach shape by trying to get the one-pack into a 1.5-2 pack through an unproven regime of laying in the sun while drinking beer,  and slowly expanding sprint drills from 5 yards to 40 yards to be available as an alternate for the Sept Surly Olympics without shredding my hamstrings. 

8 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Too many people here underestimating the challenge of transition. If your expectations are conference championship this year, your expectations are simply too high.

Loaded roster or not, you don’t install a new system without hiccups and you don’t change culture in eight months of no competitive games. 

That’s not even considering starting a quarterback who he never started a game in his life.

I thought this was offseason?  Someone get the Ghost some Kool-Aid stat!

kool aid snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't understand this theory that 10 wins is some unattainable goal, when last year Texas would have won 10 games had Covid not wiped out LSU, KU, and USF. This team has 10 win talent, and upgraded the coaching on both sides of the ball. Is the schedule anymore difficult than last year, probably not, given the lack of practice time needed to implement the new offense and defense schemes in Herman's farewell season.

I think Texas loses 2 of the 3 following games OU, ISU, and TCU. I think Texas boat races almost everyone else. The only thing that can change my mind is if this team continues to suffer injuries that cost them the last 2 seasons. I also think #5 gets more touches in the 1st 3-1/2 games than he got all of last year and is going to be pushing 20+ TDs.

boner alert GIF

9 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

My expectations aren't conference championship or bust this season but it's completely reasonable to expect improvement the first year with a new staff. Any improvement from last season puts us right in the thick of the title hunt.

Last season we won 7 games in a shortened season, took the conference champion to 4 OTs & lost by 3 to the conference runner up; it's crazy to act like we are looking at a long term rebuild to get to (conference) championship caliber. This site unanimously wanted Herman fired in part because he was way underachieving giving the talent he had.

You are overstating the challenge of a coaching transition. When a blueblood school makes a real coaching upgrade they see improvement fast, as in the first year. 

Notre Dame - 2009: 6-6 2010 (Kelly's 1st): 8-5

Ohio State - 2011: 6-7 2012 (Urban's 1st): 12-0

Michigan -  2014: 5-7 2015 (Harbaugh's 1st): 10-3

Florida - 2017: 4-7 2018 (Mullen's 1st): 10-3

Oregon - 2017: 4-8 2018 (Cristobal's 1st): 9-4

I think Cristobal is the only coach on that list who inherited an established, quality qb. 

Maybe Sarkisian is a huge upgrade and maybe he's not. There are exceptions to good coaches starting slower but lets not act like it's exceedingly rare for a new coaching staff to take over a team with a lot of talent and hit the ground running. And we do have a lot of talent relative to the country and our conference.  

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 7

49 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

My expectations aren't conference championship or bust this season but it's completely reasonable to expect improvement the first year with a new staff. Any improvement from last season puts us right in the thick of the title hunt.

Last season we won 7 games in a shortened season, took the conference champion to 4 OTs & lost by 3 to the conference runner up; it's crazy to act like we are looking at a long term rebuild to get to (conference) championship caliber. This site unanimously wanted Herman fired in part because he was way underachieving giving the talent he had.

You are overstating the challenge of a coaching transition. When a blueblood school makes a real coaching upgrade they see improvement fast, as in the first year. 

I think Cristobal is the only coach on that list who inherited an established, quality qb. 

Maybe Sarkisian is a huge upgrade and maybe he's not. There are exceptions to good coaches starting slower but lets not act like it's exceedingly rare for a new coaching staff to take over a team with a lot of talent and hit the ground running. And we do have a lot of talent relative to the country and our conference.  

ohio st was 2009- 11-2 , 2010-12-1 , 6-7 so they were solid 

You dont understand this theory because nobody’s advancing this theory.

What us “pussies” are suggesting is that this team is a big question mark, moreso than most years.

Our upside is 2008 Texas.

More likely we will have issues rushing the passer and back 7 depth, pass protection, and playmaking at receiver.

QBs are both promising, but unproven. Ehlinger was great at protecting the football and willing his way in 4th quarter comebacks and shootouts. The possibilities of more consistency and explosion in the passing game definitely exist, but that still remains to be seen.

I still dont see a single bigtime receiver on the roster. Whittington looks more Amari Foreman than anyone in the pros.

When a pilot gets on the intercom and announces turbulence ahead, it helps set expectations and calms people down when it happens. The passengers dont gripe about how much of a bitch the pilot is. Whats hard to understand about this?
  • Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Pretty much this. Just about any coach who’s worth a damn has come into a blue blood and made the team look immediately improved.  Saban might be one of the few exceptions, but Bama was a mess and he ran a Stone Age offense at the time, which didn’t help with a quick turnaround. 

If this coaching staff is good, barring truly horrible injury luck, we should be looking at an absolute minimum of 9-3 and should expect 10 regular season wins. Going 8-4 with this roster would be on par with Herman’s 6-6 showing his first season.

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

You dont understand this theory because nobody’s advancing this theory.

What us “pussies” are suggesting is that this team is a big question mark, moreso than most years.

Our upside is 2008 Texas.

I have no idea what you are trying to argue at this point. Our upside is our 2nd best squad we've had in the last 30 years? Um, yeah that would work for me.

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I have no idea what you are trying to argue at this point. Our upside is our 2nd best squad we've had in the last 30 years? Um, yeah that would work for me.

He's worried about our "feelings" as fans. He's worried about the "culture" and "expectations" of the collective on this board. eskimohorn has been a fucking HR rep for Shaggy and Surly as long as they've been around. He's the fucking Toby of this board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I have no problem with people expecting 10 wins but it does seem very sad to say that a roster without any potential 2022 1st round picks is "loaded".  That's a long drop from what used to be considered loaded at Texas.

There are guys with potential who could make a leap, but none of the upper classmen are surefire stars who opposing coaches have nightmares about.

I hope Jamison makes a leap, Whittington stays healthy, Ojomo dominates inside, Overshown takes hold of the spot, etc.  

But each has question marks and the teams that dominate a conference typically have a little more certainty and history of dominance from Juniors/Seniors going into the season.

Still... I expect a lot of wins if the coaches are good.

• Like 1

I just honestly read we have “depth concerns at every position”. That is some serious faggotry. We sport one of the best RB and DL rooms in the entire country. Our depth at OL is as good as it’s been in probably 10 plus years. This vagina rubbing at the thought of playing Iowa Fing State has to stop. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

ULL gave up 184.7 rushing yards a game last year (pretty much against Sun Belt teams) and Arky gave up even more at 192.1 and lost the best DT they had.  ULL gave up 4.3 yards per rush rush and Arky 4.6  We are going to run Bijan, Rojo, and company all over these bums and when they bring DB's up to help, Sark is going to drop some PA on them.  

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 2

The Texas fan base has PTSD from 11 years of mediocrity due to a very good coach becoming a lazy ass motherf*cker, a nice guy who is a terrible coach, and a decent coach who is a prick and thus undid what decent coaching he was doing. The result was mediocrity. 

Now we have a guy that can coach his ass off, and has learned from some massive mistakes. However, fuck 10 wins. That’s not attainable. It’s going to be 12-1 effers. 

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

ULL gave up 184.7 rushing yards a game last year (pretty much against Sun Belt teams) and Arky gave up even more at 192.1 and lost the best DT they had.  ULL gave up 4.3 yards per rush rush and Arky 4.6  We are going to run Bijan, Rojo, and company all over these bums and when they bring DB's up to help, Sark is going to drop some PA on them.  

Both were outside the top 80 in yards per rush given up last year. Flood’s gonna make Sportcenter an hour long Bijan highlight reel in Week 1.

• Hook 'Em 3

I can't see a single valid point listed in the previous fifty-odd pages that leads me to incline toward a worse season in '21 than in '20. As always, we have lost some talent from the previous squad. As usual, with FUPM Brown and #MensaTom in the recent past, we have brought in at least some new talent. It appears, so far, that we have definite improvement on the parts of both the coaching staff and the players - all in all, I expect at least a moderate improvement over last season. I know some of you disregard the fact that all three of our losses were in games where the HC ultimately should take the blame (although he didn't, really), all by a single score, and all in which we had the absolute opportunity to win, but failed to do so because of a dumb-ass decision at a crucial point, by #MensaTom.

It's pretty clear at this stage, that the coaches who were involved are now elsewhere, and we have a new staff with better skills, and it appears that the players are, for the most part, quite happy with the way things are going. I personally like what I have seen of, and heard from, the new guys, a lot. 

One of the best things I've heard from Sark is his statement that there are no "just a game" games on our schedule. It made me fucking crazy to listen to that simpleton ex-HC of ours saying that the [REDACTED] game was just another game, or that (lying, of course, but...) he didn't even know who we would be playing next week. If I'm in Sark's place, I'd be planning - right now, today - to fucking crush 0U, TCU, and ISU this coming fall, and I'd make sure the players get it, by having at least one 0U SUX moment in every practice or meeting. 

Barring excessive accidents and injuries, we should be better. Some of that will translate to not losing games we shouldn't lose, and the rest will translate to winning by larger margins. I think 1 or 2 losses will be the outcome. 3 losses, or more, and we'll be searching, trying to figure out WTF went wrong.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I don’t know if this is the place for it, but Finebaum commented today about the relative futures of Sark and Jimbo, and claimed Fisher had the better chance of success. One reason is alumni, and if you needed another reason to suggest Mack turned into a massive bitch, look no further:

"The alumni are always the problem in Austin … I mean, it’s one of the great places in the world to work, it’s one of the great places to live and visit, but they have still not solved that (alumni interference). And maybe I spent too much time on Sunday mornings in Connecticut hanging around Mack Brown, but you have to deal with way too many entities and a fanbase that just can’t quite get over itself.”

So, Mack sat there and told anyone who would listen how difficult it is in Austin, how he was railroaded, never had a chance to turn it around, blah fucking blah. 

And yeah, fuck that SEC hack Finebaum, just sharing.

This was a link on my Facebook feed, and though from 247, appears to be free.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Paul-Finebaum-Jimbo-Fisher-safer-bet-Steve-Sarkisian-Texas-Longhorns-Aggies-165478057/?fbclid=IwAR1C-QOm3yCr_rt6TYOifl2f0CerC35Agi23gFKskz-ncHI9GFuH9nQRivc

(I’d copy and paste and spoiler the whole damn thing, but there are so many fucking ads it would be a damn mess to edit.)

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s the English language. Upside. Potential. You can lose up to 50 pounds by taking supplements. Ceiling. Whatever.

I was replying to poster claiming people were saying “10 wins was an unattainable goal” People weren’t saying that.

This team is a question mark. Potential is there, but lets not pee our pants when decent, well-coached, experienced teams beat us.

I see 1 war daddy on offense. Some possession receivers. A promising looking QB. maybe 2. A couple of fat guys on D that can hold their own and have a good first step. 1 freak linebacker that was starting to get it before being injured. 2 guys that can cover in the secondary, one of whom always gets hurt.

We’re baa-ack?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Texas would have won 10 games had a regular season of games been played. 8 wins would be not be progress. Texas had enough talent to be 3 or 4 plays away from running the table with a shitty coach. Texas now has Top 5 coordinators on both sides of the ball that will be created the game plans. The OL should be better, the DL should be Top 2 in the conference. The secondary should be the best in the conference. Texas likely has the best non QB skill player in the conference, who will battle Rattler for POTY and a spot in NY for the Heisman.
I get that Thompson or Card have little experience, but I think Sarkisian can design game plans that take advantage of their strengths while relying on #5 and #2 to wear down defenses.
71aNTlKiAHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg