2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

7 hours ago, JFKFC said:

There is a difference between Mackovic & Herman. Mackovic had an offensive philosophy, and he wouldn't deviate from it. Even when his personnel would lend itself better to a different offensive strategy, he didn't want to change. Herman wanted constant change for the sake of change, even if it was nonsensical. Bijan is killing it in the first quarter of the bowl game? Let's keep him off the field the rest of the half. Golic was openly shocked that Bijan was kept out of the game for so long after a dominant start. Mackovic, for all of his faults, wouldn't have made that change. 

I'll differ with you a little bit here. Mackovic LOVED balance. We lost the 1997 Baylor game because despite Ricky Williams being completely unstoppable that day, Mackovic didn't like leaning on him so much. Ricky had 244 yards on 31 carries (7.8 yard avg), but we went away from him at the end of the game when Baylor was worn out and he was gashing them more than he had been.

The result: Baylor beat us by 2 and tore down their goalposts. Thankfully, that was just one reason Mackovic got fired after the '97 season.

Mackovic loved to overthink things. He wasn't that different than Herman.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'll differ with you a little bit here. Mackovic LOVED balance. We lost the 1997 Baylor game because despite Ricky Williams being completely unstoppable that day, Mackovic didn't like leaning on him so much. Ricky had 244 yards on 31 carries (7.8 yard avg), but we went away from him at the end of the game when Baylor was worn out and he was gashing them more than he had been.

The result: Baylor beat us by 2 and tore down their goalposts. Thankfully, that was just one reason Mackovic got fired after the '97 season.

Mackovic wanted to be a pocket-passer led team. That was his philosophy. He had 2 incredible RBs, an o-line I would kill to have now, and he couldn't escape that philosophy.  

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I literally thought of this exact example when I read the Mackovic comparison earlier. When I googled the ‘97 game, I was shocked to read Ricky had such big numbers, because all I remember from that day was just fucking being incensed with Mackovic for not using Ricky properly. Now I realize I was mad at his use at the end. Watching a highlight video indicated that on the final drive (perhaps after a first down), we ran RW once, then had two James Brown incompletions, leading to a missed 53 yard FG attempt. So fucking pissed that day.

• Hook 'Em 3

I literally thought of this exact example when I read the Mackovic comparison earlier. When I googled the ‘97 game, I was shocked to read Ricky had such big numbers, because all I remember from that day was just fucking being incensed with Mackovic for not using Ricky properly. Now I realize I was mad at his use at the end. Watching a highlight video indicated that on the final drive (perhaps after a first down), we ran RW once, then had two James Brown incompletions, leading to a missed 53 yard FG attempt. So fucking pissed that day.

No, I think there was more to it. Maybe spent way too much time running outside when they were outsized up the middle. In spite of the numbers, I do remember some disbelief in the way the entire game played out.

There was the end game too. I almost whipped macovics ass that day. But there was a gate with bars that prevented access to him.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:25 PM, Machinator said:

Bert Auburn

image.png

Don’t want to jump the gun here, but with the new NCAA rules allowing athletes to profit from their endorsements I’ve been having some pretty interesting conversations with a certain shampoo/conditioner company and let’s just say Laramie Pro-V might be hitting the shelves soon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

At Floyd Casey that day; as soon as Dawson missed that kick, the Baylor old man in front of me turned to his grandson and said “Successful season!”. They were 1-7 at the time.

fuck baylor….

• Hook 'Em 1