2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This seems like a very reasonable conclusion to make considering *checks notes* Herman never went 3-0 OOC even against easier opponents than we have this year. 

Go look up how long it’s been since we’ve gone undefeated in non-con, excluding 2020. (Lock up your guns/booze/opioids first). Sark just doing that would make me fucking ecstatic.

• Like 1

Go look up how long it’s been since we’ve gone undefeated in non-con, excluding 2020. (Lock up your guns/booze/opioids first). Sark just doing that would make me fucking ecstatic.

I’m guessing 2009. But I checked some and it looks like 2012.

That would correspond to the last time we had a plus offensive coordinator in Bryan Harsin.

Everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Too often that’s been Texas, where we’ve had to scramble midseason to simplify schemes or integrate personnel.

18 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

How long has Nike been a Longhorns sponsor?
Anything think that may ever change in the next decade?

HIGHLY doubtful.

2015 article.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Source-Texas-agrees-to-15-year-deal-apparel-deal-with-Nike-40441159/

from the article re: the 2000 switch, can't imagine they let that go away.

Nike, who's been partnered with Texas since 2000 when the Longhorns made the switch from Reebok, had exclusive early negotiating rights with Texas for the apparel contract. A deal did not come through during that window in September, and it was expected Under Armour and adidas would have the opportunity to pitch Texas. However, Texas canceled a meeting with Under Armour earlier this month and later decided to stick with Nike.

Had another school pitched an offer, Nike also had the right of first refusal built into its previous contract, meaning Nike could have matched any number offered by another brand

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Rimbo said:

They were a big-time program. Then, they joined the SEC.

Aggy should take note.

The problem that Arkansas had was leaving behind their recruiting base. When in the SWC Arkansas would usually get at least half if not most of its players from Texas, just like Oklahoma does. They went from having 4-5 games in Texas every year to none. Jerry Jones tried throwing his alma mater a lifeline by hosting the Arkansas-aggy game every year, but that hasn't helped them that much.

aggy gets to play 3-4 non-conference and 4 conference games at home every year. That is 7-8 games an hour away from Houston and 3 hours away from DFW, two of the richest recruiting areas in the country.

aggy's problem is that they will always be aggy.

• Hook 'Em 5

FCB

Spoiler

I had a good conversation with a source who worked at Alabama with Texas transfer commitment running back Keilan Robinson, and my expectations for Robinson’s impact are increasing.

“To help those familiar with the Big 12, I’d say the player he compares to would be Kendall Hunter,” the source said.

For those who don’t remember Kendall Hunter (5-7, 199) at Oklahoma State from 2007-10, Hunter was a dominant force, rushing for 1,500-plus yards in his sophomore (1,555, 6.5 ypc, 16 TDs) and senior (1,548, 5.7 ypc, 16 TDs) seasons in Stillwater. He also finished his four-year career at OSU with 63 catches for 519 yards and two touchdowns.

Hunter’s 4,181-yard rushing total is No. 4 on Oklahoma State’s all-time rushing leader list, behind No. 1 Thurman Thomas (5,001) and ahead of No. 5 Barry Sanders (3,797), who only played three seasons before turning pro.

“I see talk about Robinson possibly playing receiver at Texas, because he was listed as a running back/receiver for Alabama’s spring game,” the source said.

“But he’s leaving Alabama, because he believes there’s a better opportunity for him at Texas as a running back who can also catch the football. He’s better than Roschon Johnson, I can tell you that.”

Time will tell on all of this, obviously. But I trust this source as an evaluator of talent. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with having a Lightning component in Keilan Robinson to the Thunder of Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson.

Not to mention that Keilan Robinson has three years of eligibility remaining after playing at Alabama as a freshman, when he had 39 carries for 254 yards (6.5 yards per carry) and two touchdowns in 2019 before sitting out the 2020 season due to COVID-19.

Nick Saban praised Robinson during Alabama’s spring football. Robinson had four carries for 12 yards and one reception for 5 yards in Bama’s spring game.

“He is doing great,” Saban said of Keilan Robinson to reporters. “He’s got great speed. He’s gotten bigger and stronger. He’s really playing fast. He’s playing really well on special teams.

“He is a potential kickoff returner for us. He did it before when he was a freshman, so that is certainly a role. He has made really great progress as a running back.”

The source I spoke with about Keilan Robinson said Texas hasn’t had a speed back like Robinson since Jamaal Charles.

“He (Robinson) ran into bad timing at Bama between playing behind Najee Harris and the pandemic,” the source said. “But he’s blazing fast and is kind of an untapped talent. But Sark knows his talent.”

So what does that mean for the Texas running back room?

Bijan Robinson, who had 86 carries for 703 yards as a freshman, breaking the school’s 51-year-old season record for yards-per-carry (8.2), is obviously the No. 1 back.

Bijan might be the best running back in the country. FOX football analyst Joel Klatt said as much this week, and I’ve talked to NFL scouts who already have Bijan on their radar.

But Sarkisian has said he’s going to get his best 11 on the field. And if Keilan proves to be one of the best 11 (or perhaps even 12th or 13th best), Sarkisian has also indicated he’s not opposed to two-back sets.

And what would be more daunting for a defense than having to account for two Robinsons: the versatility of Bijan and the speed of Keilan.

I’m a show-me-don’t-tell-me guy who has come to detest the hype train for incoming players who are yet to take a snap with a team.

But after this conversation - with a source I trust - about Keilan Robinson, my expectations for him are going up.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

FCB

Reveal hidden contents

I had a good conversation with a source who worked at Alabama with Texas transfer commitment running back Keilan Robinson, and my expectations for Robinson’s impact are increasing.

“To help those familiar with the Big 12, I’d say the player he compares to would be Kendall Hunter,” the source said.

For those who don’t remember Kendall Hunter (5-7, 199) at Oklahoma State from 2007-10, Hunter was a dominant force, rushing for 1,500-plus yards in his sophomore (1,555, 6.5 ypc, 16 TDs) and senior (1,548, 5.7 ypc, 16 TDs) seasons in Stillwater. He also finished his four-year career at OSU with 63 catches for 519 yards and two touchdowns.

Hunter’s 4,181-yard rushing total is No. 4 on Oklahoma State’s all-time rushing leader list, behind No. 1 Thurman Thomas (5,001) and ahead of No. 5 Barry Sanders (3,797), who only played three seasons before turning pro.

“I see talk about Robinson possibly playing receiver at Texas, because he was listed as a running back/receiver for Alabama’s spring game,” the source said.

“But he’s leaving Alabama, because he believes there’s a better opportunity for him at Texas as a running back who can also catch the football. He’s better than Roschon Johnson, I can tell you that.”

Time will tell on all of this, obviously. But I trust this source as an evaluator of talent. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with having a Lightning component in Keilan Robinson to the Thunder of Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson.

Not to mention that Keilan Robinson has three years of eligibility remaining after playing at Alabama as a freshman, when he had 39 carries for 254 yards (6.5 yards per carry) and two touchdowns in 2019 before sitting out the 2020 season due to COVID-19.

Nick Saban praised Robinson during Alabama’s spring football. Robinson had four carries for 12 yards and one reception for 5 yards in Bama’s spring game.

“He is doing great,” Saban said of Keilan Robinson to reporters. “He’s got great speed. He’s gotten bigger and stronger. He’s really playing fast. He’s playing really well on special teams.

“He is a potential kickoff returner for us. He did it before when he was a freshman, so that is certainly a role. He has made really great progress as a running back.”

The source I spoke with about Keilan Robinson said Texas hasn’t had a speed back like Robinson since Jamaal Charles.

“He (Robinson) ran into bad timing at Bama between playing behind Najee Harris and the pandemic,” the source said. “But he’s blazing fast and is kind of an untapped talent. But Sark knows his talent.”

So what does that mean for the Texas running back room?

Bijan Robinson, who had 86 carries for 703 yards as a freshman, breaking the school’s 51-year-old season record for yards-per-carry (8.2), is obviously the No. 1 back.

Bijan might be the best running back in the country. FOX football analyst Joel Klatt said as much this week, and I’ve talked to NFL scouts who already have Bijan on their radar.

But Sarkisian has said he’s going to get his best 11 on the field. And if Keilan proves to be one of the best 11 (or perhaps even 12th or 13th best), Sarkisian has also indicated he’s not opposed to two-back sets.

And what would be more daunting for a defense than having to account for two Robinsons: the versatility of Bijan and the speed of Keilan.

I’m a show-me-don’t-tell-me guy who has come to detest the hype train for incoming players who are yet to take a snap with a team.

But after this conversation - with a source I trust - about Keilan Robinson, my expectations for him are going up.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The next negative thing Klatt says about Texas will be the first it feels like.

If he does say something negative, at least it will probably be accurate.  
He’s had some critiques that were pretty rough but spot on. Especially during the Mack fed bad media blitz, he kept shit real and pretty damn accurate imo

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Last game Gary Barnett ever coached which is pretty hilarious. 

Yeah, sometimes things just work out. Deloss wanted Barnett here. Thank God Daryl, Jim Bob Moffett, and some others wanted Mack. You can dog Mack all you want, with much of it deserved in his later years, but imagine how bad things might (probably would) have turned out if we'd gotten Barnett instead of Brown. Just sayin' . . .

• Like 1

Humidor part 2

Eric Nahlin

Humble Scribe

Staff member

By: Eric and Justin

Freshmen impressing early in workouts

This portion of the calendar marks the acclimation period of new and old players. It’s early, but it’s always fun to get an idea of who is impressing. Keep in mind, “impressing” at this stage means they either look great physically, or are moving quite well.

One of the most anticipated new arrivals is freshman wide receiver Xavier Worthy. Worthy was a stroke of luck for the Texas staff as he elected to not enroll at Michigan. Worthy, hailing from the Norman, OK parts of California, is already turning heads thanks to unsurprising athleticism (it’s already known he’s explosive) but also good hands and a more nuanced understanding of route running.

In this venue — no pads, playing pitch and catch with quarterbacks in player-driven practices — Worthy has looked like the most gifted receiver on the roster. We’re hearing similar freshman praise to last year when Troy Omeire was mentioned daily (expect Omeire to be back to normal in August). Along with being a better route runner than expected, he’s showing natural hands and the ability to go up and get the ball. It was said he has the ability to become a special route runner.

Worthy is drilling at slot H but he sounds like someone who will move around once he learns his duties. One expected knock, he, along with fellow freshman Keithron Lee, have a long way to go in the weight room. That won’t hurt them as much in the slot as it will if they’re lined up outside where corners can get their hands on them.

Two other freshmen who were mentioned were tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders and running back Jonathon Brooks. The same caveats apply to these two as to Worthy, but Sandars is showing great feet and route running for his size (6-foot-3, 240 pounds) while Brooks is looking explosive out of his cuts/breaks and shifty. Sanders is slated for Y, or the more traditional tight end.

On the defensive side, the only new arrival who was mentioned was David Abiara. He’s a good one to hear positives about, however, as Jack OLB is a near- and long-term need. He’s more physically developed than anticipated.

A couple of depth chart notes

We’ll start on the offensive line where Derek Kerstetter’s return is having a domino effect.

The fifth-year senior is currently slotted for right tackle. The staff has liked what they’ve seen from sixth-year senior Tope Imade and want to keep giving him a chance, so he’s moving from right tackle to guard. Given his giant, wide body, guard is likely his best fit anyway.

In a bit of a surprise, though it’s probably just for depth purposes, Junior Angilau is being considered for center.

We’ve also heard the staff thinks Isaiah Hookfin has the athleticism for left tackle. Come August, expect him to get a chance behind Christian Jones.

Spring, and the offseason in general, is a time for tinkering. That’s what the staff is doing now.

The offense doesn’t lack for slot receivers (Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith), especially with Worthy joining the fold, so Kelvontay Dixon will get a look at boundary receiver. That’s going to be Omeire’s position but it will give the staff the opportunity to go Dixon-Worthy-Josh Moore across the board if it wishes to.

Things on defense sound status quo.

A couple parting notes

Alabama transfer running back Keilan Robinson isn’t in Austin at last check. It’s not really noteworthy but one of the first comments will be about him so we’ll mention there’s nothing to be concerned about.

Tulsa transfer cornerback Akayleb Evans is announcing his destination tonight at 7:00 p.m. It’s a hard recruitment to handicap but our best source was expecting Missouri. We’re not sure if Georgia‘s late run made a difference. We’d be surprised if he chose UT or Notre Dame. No matter, the Texas secondary should be….

Akay without him.
Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Humidor part 2

Eric Nahlin

This portion of the calendar marks the acclimation period of new and old players. It’s early, but it’s always fun to get an idea of who is impressing. Keep in mind, “impressing” at this stage means they either look great physically, or are moving quite well.

One of the most anticipated new arrivals is freshman wide receiver Xavier Worthy. Worthy was a stroke of luck for the Texas staff as he elected to not enroll at Michigan. Worthy, hailing from the Norman, OK parts of California, is already turning heads thanks to unsurprising athleticism (it’s already known he’s explosive) but also good hands and a more nuanced understanding of route running.

In this venue — no pads, playing pitch and catch with quarterbacks in player-driven practices — Worthy has looked like the most gifted receiver on the roster. We’re hearing similar freshman praise to last year when Troy Omeire was mentioned daily (expect Omeire to be back to normal in August). Along with being a better route runner than expected, he’s showing natural hands and the ability to go up and get the ball. It was said he has the ability to become a special route runner.

Worthy is drilling at slot H but he sounds like someone who will move around once he learns his duties. One expected knock, he, along with fellow freshman Keithron Lee, have a long way to go in the weight room. That won’t hurt them as much in the slot as it will if they’re lined up outside where corners can get their hands on them.

Two other freshmen who were mentioned were tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders and running back Jonathon Brooks. The same caveats apply to these two as to Worthy, but Sandars is showing great feet and route running for his size (6-foot-3, 240 pounds) while Brooks is looking explosive out of his cuts/breaks and shifty. Sanders is slated for Y, or the more traditional tight end.

On the defensive side, the only new arrival

Eric Nahlin
Humble Scribe
Staff member
2 minutes ago
New
Add bookmark

One of the most anticipated new arrivals is freshman wide receiver Xavier Worthy. Worthy was a stroke of luck for the Texas staff as he elected to not enroll at Michigan. Worthy, hailing from the Norman, OK parts of California, is already turning heads thanks to unsurprising athleticism (it’s already known he’s explosive) but also good hands and a more nuanced understanding of route running.

In this venue — no pads, playing pitch and catch with quarterbacks in player-driven practices — Worthy has looked like the most gifted receiver on the roster. We’re hearing similar freshman praise to last year when Troy Omeire was mentioned daily (expect Omeire to be back to normal in August). Along with being a better route runner than expected, he’s showing natural hands and the ability to go up and get the ball. It was said he has the ability to become a special route runner.

Two other freshmen who were mentioned were tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders and running back Jonathon Brooks. The same caveats apply to these two as to Worthy, but Sandars is showing great feet and route running for his size (6-foot-3, 240 pounds) while Brooks is looking explosive out of his cuts/breaks and shifty. Sanders is slated for Y, or the more traditional tight end.

On the defensive side, the only new arrival who was mentioned was David Abiara. He’s a good one to hear positives about, however, as Jack OLB is a near- and long-term need. He’s more physically developed than anticipated.

We’ll start on the offensive line where Derek Kerstetter’s return is having a domino effect.

The fifth-year senior is currently slotted for right tackle. The staff has liked what they’ve seen from sixth-year senior Tope Imade and want to keep giving him a chance, so he’s moving from right tackle to guard. Given his giant, wide body, guard is likely his best fit anyway.

In a bit of a surprise, though it’s probably just for depth purposes, Junior Angilau is being considered for center.

We’ve also heard the staff thinks Isaiah Hookfin has the athleticism for left tackle. Come August, expect him to get a chance behind Christian Jones.

Spring, and the offseason in general, is a time for tinkering. That’s what the staff is doing now.

The offense doesn’t lack for slot receivers (Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith), especially with Worthy joining the fold, so Kelvontay Dixon will get a look at boundary receiver. That’s going to be Omeire’s position but it will give the staff the opportunity to go Dixon-Worthy-Josh Moore across the board if it wishes to.

A couple parting notes

Alabama transfer running back Keilan Robinson isn’t in Austin at last check. It’s not really noteworthy but one of the first comments will be about him so we’ll mention there’s nothing to be concerned about.

Tulsa transfer cornerback Akayleb Evans is announcing his destination tonight at 7:00 p.m. It’s a hard recruitment to handicap but our best source was expecting Missouri. We’re not sure if Georgia‘s late run made a difference. We’d be surprised if he chose UT or Notre Dame. No matter, the Texas secondary should be….

Akay without him.

who was mentioned was David Abiara. He’s a good one to hear positives about, however, as Jack OLB is a near- and long-term need. He’s more physically developed than anticipated.

We’ll start on the offensive line where Derek Kerstetter’s return is having a domino effect.

The fifth-year senior is currently slotted for right tackle. The staff has liked what they’ve seen from sixth-year senior Tope Imade and want to keep giving him a chance, so he’s moving from right tackle to guard. Given his giant, wide body, guard is likely his best fit anyway.

In a bit of a surprise, though it’s probably just for depth purposes, Junior Angilau is being considered for center.

We’ve also heard the staff thinks Isaiah Hookfin has the athleticism for left tackle. Come August, expect him to get a chance behind Christian Jones.

The offense doesn’t lack for slot receivers (Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith), especially with Worthy joining the fold, so Kelvontay Dixon will get a look at boundary receiver. That’s going to be Omeire’s position but it will give the staff the opportunity to go Dixon-Worthy-Josh Moore across the board if it wishes to.

A couple parting notes

Alabama transfer running back Keilan Robinson isn’t in Austin at last check. It’s not really noteworthy but one of the first comments will be about him so we’ll mention there’s nothing to be concerned about.

Tulsa transfer cornerback Akayleb Evans is announcing his destination tonight at 7:00 p.m. It’s a hard recruitment to handicap but our best source was expecting Missouri. We’re not sure if Georgia‘s late run made a difference. We’d be surprised if he chose UT or Notre Dame. No matter, the Texas secondary should be….

Akay without him.

had to let that sink in 2..3 times

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fuck that. Let me see Whittington, Smith, Worthy or Robinson, Whittington, Worthy.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Klatt’s one of the best in the biz. Seems pretty reasonable and not an enormous douche like Herbie. Also always has really solid in-game analysis on his broadcasts too.

Plus they pair him with Gus Johnson absolute mad lad hype man