2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

15 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

I feel gruntled. Should I be?

More guys from winning programs can only help. Sometimes you have to learn to win. We have the talent and hopefully the scheme to be the favorite for every game on our schedule besides OU. Need some guys to drive the point that losing isn’t an option.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

This needs some love. If that guy can do that, my ass has no excuse. That's impressive work and determination to get a body like that, up like that.

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Tope!

This is incredible 

Incredible, indeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That idiot Brian Davis was on Bucky and Erin this morning. I was only half-listening to part of it, but he predicted 8-4, mentioned uncertainty about RB depth as a concern, and predicted Casey will start at QB. "If he was good enough to back up Sam for two years, then he's good enough to start". 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

That idiot Brian Davis was on Bucky and Erin this morning. I was only half-listening to part of it, but he predicted 8-4, mentioned uncertainty about RB depth as a concern, and predicted Casey will start at QB. "If he was good enough to back up Sam for two years, then he's good enough to start". 

That sentence makes no fucking sense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

IT

Spoiler

DK and new arrivals

RT Derek Kerstetter: This is the time of year to work extra hard on pass sets and he’s putting in a lot of extra work. Coaches think he’s a smart, crafty player. He’s moving well despite the previous ankle injury but doesn’t quite have his full confidence back. Don’t tell Ian, but based on how he’s moving right now, he’s the likely starter at right tackle.

WR Troy Omeire and TE Brayden Liebrock: These two talented receivers are going through workouts 100%. If Omeire isn’t 100%, he’s not far off. He’s your start at X. Liebrock is behind Cade Brewer at H-TE.

WR Jake Smith: He’s working out but he’s not full-go with the rest of the team. We’re trying to find out a better timeline for his full return.

LB Devin Richardson: Hard worker, attentive, very mature. He looks for extra work. Strong in the weight room and moves pretty well on the field. He’s around 6-2, 235.

OLB Ben Davis: Similar to Richardson and Ray Thornton as transfers who work hard and pick up the playbook quickly. He’s showing early vocal leadership and good energy. He moves well. Even if they can’t fully unlock his athletic potential, he’s seen as a positive for building the right culture. The coaches will have their work ahead of them to get him technically sound but he still has good materials to work with.

OLB Ovie Oghoufo: He’s more reserved and still getting the hang of things. He moves well; definitely has some athleticism. Not as experienced as the others.

RB Keilan Robinson: The newest arrival has attended meetings but hasn’t been cleared by the school to participate in team workouts.

TE Juan Davis, OLB David Abiara, and WR Xavier Worthy: Of the freshmen these three continue to be mentioned. Davis was an early enrollee who flashed in the spring game. He’s a different athlete at the position. Abiara showed up physically ready to go. Worthy is perhaps the most important player in the class and he’s off to a hot start. IT heard the best thing you could hope to hear about him, he has the mentality of a pro. He was even compared to Jerry Jeudy in that way. This increases the likelihood his elite athleticism will help him become an elite receiver.

Name, Image, Likeness

NIL meetings began with the players in January 2021. The early focus was on branding and how to attract deals.

The next NIL meeting is this Thursday. It’s basically an open discussion on strategies, connections, and contracts. IRAs, 401Ks tied to the reinvestment of revenue generated is also a popular topic. These are things they’re also discussing with recruits.

Rules: If you approach a company about an endorsement/promotion, you are NOT allowed to use ‘University of Texas’ in the endorsement. If the company approaches you about an endorsement/promotion, you ARE allowed to use ‘University of Texas’.

Of note: The university can’t set up the player with the NIL money or companies. The player or people around the player have to do that. If you’re looking for a rule that will be ignored by the types of schools prone to ignoring the rules, that’s the one.

OpenDorse and Homefield Apparel are just a handful of companies Texas is working with to help set up the players for maximum exposure/revenue generating.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That sentence also makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

The Surly happy hour when Kirk Bohls retires or goes into hospice will be epic.

How he's still employed is one of the world's great mysteries. With print media dying and the likelihood of his longevity-enhanced outsized salary, I don't see how they haven't replaced him with an autistic sixth-grader, which would be a win-win: payroll costs go down, article quality goes up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

How he's still employed is one of the world's great mysteries. With print media dying and the likelihood of his longevity-enhanced outsized salary, I don't see how they haven't replaced him with an autistic sixth-grader, which would be a win-win: payroll costs go down, article quality goes up. 

We know he still writes, but I don't think we know for certain he is still being paid. Could be a Milton in the basement scenario and he just hasn't figured it out yet.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Royale with cheese said:

He is perfect for us. He’s arrogant and judgmental with the full act of being oblivious to this fact. He does shit to obviously and furiously fuck with us. I believe it was ‘97 or ‘98 before the pivotal packers/cowboys playoff game when he penned his great epic “I want to be a Cheesehead”. He’s employed becaus of old school ‘good ‘ol boying’, self promotion as the “aww shucks” UT fan and tenure. 

he’s not the sports reporter we like, but he’s kinda the one we deserve 

43 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Abiara being mentioned early is nice to hear.  He wasn't a very popular take on the recruiting board, but PK was after him hard at UW.

Agreed, post signing day when Sarkisian was making the tv/radio/podcast rounds he made a point to mention Abiara pretty much every time. Feels like the staff is really high on him.

16 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

He is perfect for us. He’s arrogant and judgmental with the full act of being oblivious to this fact. He does shit to obviously and furiously fuck with us. I believe it was ‘97 or ‘98 before the pivotal packers/cowboys playoff game when he penned his great epic “I want to be a Cheesehead”. He’s employed becaus of old school ‘good ‘ol boying’, self promotion as the “aww shucks” UT fan and tenure. 

he’s not the sports reporter we like, but he’s kinda the one we deserve 

Hey screw you, guy. I moved to and became a fan of Texas in 2011. The best thing that's happened since is a Sugar Bowl and a few Texas is Backs. I have to jerk off to old grainy films of Earl choke slamming a fool and VY scampering into the end zone while pretending not to know what's going to happen, wishing it were live so I could feel the warm embrace of something new and fresh that appreciates me for me. 

I don't deserve Kirk Bohls and neither do you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

It’s about the basement.

Listen, I find Milton as boring as you find Milton.

Mrs Milton found him boring too

But that doesn't relieve you of your responsibility for this material. Now I'm waiting for reports from some of you... Listen, I'm not joking. This is my job!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

I assume Bohls and Golden still have jobs because of their contracts. As in, it's cheaper to pay them than to buy out their contracts. Might as well publish content from them while the Statesman editors are counting down the end of their contracts. 

It's kind of like the Astros pitching Joe Smith when they're down by 7 runs. 

13 hours ago, Red Five said:

Top 5 RB three deep in the nation? Where is the sand to rub in my tender bits?