2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

17 hours ago, Eggo said:

Hey screw you, guy. I moved to and became a fan of Texas in 2011. The best thing that's happened since is a Sugar Bowl and a few Texas is Backs. I have to jerk off to old grainy films of Earl choke slamming a fool and VY scampering into the end zone while pretending not to know what's going to happen, wishing it were live so I could feel the warm embrace of something new and fresh that appreciates me for me. 

I don't deserve Kirk Bohls and neither do you.

Someone mentioned the party we'd throw when Bohls goes into hospice.

I can just picture it now -

"Did you hear?"

"What?"

"Cancer got Kurt Bohls."

"Wait, you mean Kurt Bohls got cancer?"

"No, that's not what I said."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

(Joe Cook) Quick notes from Sarkisian’s presentation at San Angelo

Spoiler

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian made plenty of social rounds on Thursday in Austin, speaking at a Boys and Girls Club luncheon at the Fairmont hotel and revealing he had COVID at the beginning of his UT tenure. Before speaking at the posh hotel, Sarkisian talked ball (virtually) at the Angelo Football Clinic held on the campus of Angelo State University in San Angelo.

Sarkisian’s presentation was focused on his passing offense, but before getting into the X’s and O’s he made sure to mention how he supported the idea of Straight Line Recruiting, which advocates for college coaches to go through the high school coaches during recruiting as opposed to through a trainer or 7on7 coach.

“I’m a huge proponent of this,” Sarkisian said.

X’s and O’s wise, Sarkisian laid out the philosophy behind his offense. He explained how his offenses strive to be attack-oriented, fast and aggressive (he emphasized All Gas No Brakes here), physical, and with amazing energy (“Nothing we want to do is half-ass”). He explained how he wants his players to execute assignments with a belief, and wants them to know what to do, how to do it, and why it’s important to do it that way.

He laid out what he looks for in QB traits, stressing competitiveness, decision-making ability, accuracy, mechanics, quick hands, athletic ability, pocket awareness, and finally arm strength. As has been mentioned before, he identified the running back as the runner and the quarterback as the passer. “We don’t run our QB necessarily with designed runs,” he said. He also mentioned that throughout his career as a playcaller, he has always had a 1000-yard rusher.

He explained a couple of key concepts, including a staple RPO. Sarkisian said Texas is an RPO team and he believes in RPOs, and explained one of the popular iterations — GOO.

Ian has broken down GOO here. Sarkisian offered examples of GOO in both 11 and 12 personnel.

image.png

Following a look at the RPO, he explained some of the core philosophies of his play-action pass schemes, known in the industry now as “play pass.”

“When we call play-action passes, we are a three-level stretch team,” Sarkisian said. The quarterback is supposed to work from touchdown to checkdown. The first read is deep. The second read is medium range. The third read is a checkdown (and it isn’t always the RB). Those three-level reads, at least on play action, cut the field in half. Each of the reads is on one side of the field, giving the quarterback the ability to keep his eyes in one general direction.

He showed multiple schemes including “spear” and “thumb,” and explained how his designs intend to put safeties into difficult situations. He showed clips of Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones running the Crimson Tide offense and Matt Ryan under center with the Atlanta Falcons.

Here’s a look at spear.

image.png

He also showed how he runs mesh.

In the handful of Texas clips he showed, mostly from spring practices, the quarterback in all but one of clips was Hudson Card. The lone exception was a clip with Charles Wright.

Sark was the first speaker of the event, and had to cut his question and answer session short. Quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee fielded a few more questions and explained some of the finer mechanical points he has for his quarterbacks while Sarkisian headed to the Fairmont for the charity event.

• Like 1

IT

Spoiler

Torre Becton and his S&C staff are not playing. The honeymoon period is over with the team and the players are starting to understand there’s more urgency than during the spring.

The ramp up is real.

This post is not saying Becton is on the cutting edge of S&C, though there are some promising data points. This post is saying the players are getting their butt kicked in ways they haven’t previously.

The players are acclimating and it sounds like they’re getting some help from the new transfers.

As much as we hate to say it, it’s said this is what it takes to beat the SEC’s best.

How are the big boys looking? Coburn, the standard unit of measure that he is, is still around 340 pounds but it looks different.

Fellow big boy T’Vondre Sweat is not a fan of re-starts but he is also re-shaped.

###

Junior Angilau is getting a real look at center. It isn’t just contingency planning for if Jake Majors gets hurt.

The size queens are contemplating Christian Jones-Denzel Okafor-Angilau-Tope Imade-Derek Kerstetter.

From Gerry

Spoiler

Can add ... saw a few guys walking around after a workout Friday ...

David Abiara is going to be all of 6-4.5/6-5, 275-280 and perfectly proportioned.

Morice Blackwell had the “South Florida” frame to him at Arlington Martin. He’s getting rocked up quickly

Byron Murphy is going to be a 6-0.5, 300-pound athlete. Brick **** house

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Flood looking at Tope:

tenor.gif

I'm all for having a big OL that mauls the fuck put of people.  Most all the DL's we play won't be able to handle it.  Hoping Sark will see against OU to run right at them with quick hitting run plays instead of Herman's slow developing plays and flare passes in the flats.  Klieman knows this against OU.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

Torre Becton and his S&C staff are not playing. The honeymoon period is over with the team and the players are starting to understand there’s more urgency than during the spring.

The ramp up is real.

This post is not saying Becton is on the cutting edge of S&C, though there are some promising data points. This post is saying the players are getting their butt kicked in ways they haven’t previously.

The players are acclimating and it sounds like they’re getting some help from the new transfers.

As much as we hate to say it, it’s said this is what it takes to beat the SEC’s best.

How are the big boys looking? Coburn, the standard unit of measure that he is, is still around 340 pounds but it looks different.

Fellow big boy T’Vondre Sweat is not a fan of re-starts but he is also re-shaped.

###

Junior Angilau is getting a real look at center. It isn’t just contingency planning for if Jake Majors gets hurt.

The size queens are contemplating Christian Jones-Denzel Okafor-Angilau-Tope Imade-Derek Kerstetter.

“Brick shit house” remains my favorite recruitism. 

On 6/18/2021 at 2:22 PM, Eggo said:

Hey screw you, guy. I moved to and became a fan of Texas in 2011. The best thing that's happened since is a Sugar Bowl and a few Texas is Backs. I have to jerk off to old grainy films of Earl choke slamming a fool and VY scampering into the end zone while pretending not to know what's going to happen, wishing it were live so I could feel the warm embrace of something new and fresh that appreciates me for me. 

I don't deserve Kirk Bohls and neither do you.

I moved here from SoCal (no I'm not one of "those californians") after the name "Austin" kept coming up in my life over and over and over for a year.

It started with various Women calling my cellphone, asking for a guy named "Austin".

Dude, I don't know who you are, but I tip my hat to you.

I got like 30 calls over the course of a year.

And then, the Longhorns won the NCAA football championship, so "Austin" was in the sports news quite a lot that year.

And then and then, I was subcontracted by XXXX company who was subcontracted by XXXXX company who then lost the contract to an IT company based in Austin, TX during a renewal year.

I was at this time pretty disolutioned with California politics, people, prices and traffic.  

So I looked into Austin as a potential place to move to.

Fell in love.

Moved that same year without even a job.  The company who won the contract was too fucking cheap $ to pay me what I was worth.

Austin saved my life.  Turns out I don't like the politics here, but I love the people (all of them) and the politics are more aligned with my thinking out in the suburbs.  

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

From Gerry

Hide contents

David Abiara is going to be all of 6-4.5/6-5, 275-280 and perfectly proportioned.

Morice Blackwell had the “South Florida” frame to him at Arlington Martin. He’s getting rocked up quickly

IT

Hide contents

The ramp up is real.

###

From Gerry

Hide contents

Ah...its that time of year again.

Thats right, not a single loss. Impossible when all your players are bigger, stronger and faster than all those teams spending 20 mins on a Bowflex and a couple miles on the treadmill before hitting the hot tub.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ousux said:
8 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Thats right, not a single loss. Impossible when all your players are bigger, stronger and faster than all those teams spending 20 mins on a Bowflex and a couple miles on the treadmill before hitting the hot tub.

Well, OU anyway. 

23 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

The ramp up is real.

###

every damn year "S&C is different this year" well it's gotta be true some year, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Love Sark’s offense but am surprised he is so against running the QB with designed plays. That is a huge advantage that the offense can use to exploit any defensive alignment.

It doesn’t have to be Tom Herman “Hey let’s do nothing but use our QB as a battering ram until we’re down to our third string QB”, but just use it periodically to force the defense to account for the QB run. 

I made it sound simple. All you gotta do is see all that stuff by reading the helmets lined up across from you. You don't the the "All-22" view like TV does. But yeah, Mac won as many MNC games as VY did.

Strangely, I believe PK's defense functions in about the same way. He asked the offensive coordinators what their offenses were keying off of. He then presents those keys to make the offenses do what he wants them to do. If he shows pressure, then the RB has to stay at home to pick up the blitz. If that blitz never comes, well, that's one less player his defense has to worry about. He presents the opposing offense with the "worst case scenario", forces them to cover it, then doesn't give it to them.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

I made it sound simple. All you gotta do is see all that stuff by reading the helmets lined up across from you. You don't the the "All-22" view like TV does. But yeah, Mac won as many MNC games as VY did.

Strangely, I believe PK's defense functions in about the same way. He asked the offensive coordinators what their offenses were keying off of. He then presents those keys to make the offenses do what he wants them to do. If he shows pressure, then the RB has to stay at home to pick up the blitz. If that blitz never comes, well, that's one less player his defense has to worry about. He presents the opposing offense with the "worst case scenario", forces them to cover it, then doesn't give it to them.

ya know?.....reading your posts about our offensive game plans and then the defensive game plans, the game seems so simple I dont see how we can EVER lose! I just got off the phone from Amazon where I ordered $10,000.00 worth of Orange Kool Aide! It will be here next week and I expect to be so drunk off of it that I might miss the first half of the season. Chug-a-lug!.....thanks ...Corps.....

Football is actually pretty simple.

It's been difficult for us because we havent had LBs or pass rush for college ball and we play in a league where both of those need to be above average or one has to be elite.

Even Herman's crazy over-reliance on QB smash wasnt the total downfall... (But Damn if he didn't try...)

Offense is simple: find the best matchup.

VY, Cam, Tebow.... ain't walking through that door, so get athletes that can win and get a QB that can get them the ball. The best athlete on offense is usually a RB. Get him the ball unless the defense is giving you the touchdown play.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Love Sark’s offense but am surprised he is so against running the QB with designed plays. That is a huge advantage that the offense can use to exploit any defensive alignment.

It doesn’t have to be Tom Herman “Hey let’s do nothing but use our QB as a battering ram until we’re down to our third string QB”, but just use it periodically to force the defense to account for the QB run. 

QB runs are a means to an end. Well, not in Herman's offense... There was a good video series on Chip Kelly's offense at Oregon that broke down the use of inside and outside zone. The ultimate goal was to make defenders choose who they were going to defend and then make sure that was the wrong choice. He didn't use deception and even telegraphed the plays by alignment. That served his purpose because he wanted the defender to be decisive. It is a good example of having a coherent approach and understanding what you want and what you don't. The opposite of what Mack Brown did has last few years. For Kelly, QB runs were just a mechanism for punishing the decision. From what I can tell, Sarkisian looks at the defense as a whole. Instead of forcing a single player to commit to a specific ball carrier, his goal is to create space for backs and receivers and simple reads for the QB. QB runs just aren't that important for what he wants to accomplish.

48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sark knows how to beat aggy...

I thought he was going to look smaller and scrawnier than he does. Still, it seems like his offense isn't that different from what he ran back then and what he looks for in a qb is kind of similar to how he played. Make the right decisions/reads and then deliver an easily catchable ball. 

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Sark’s never been a big fan of a running QB. He’s basically never recruited a running QB except for one guy at UW and he didn’t really pan out. 

This was a problem for Sark for a while. He ran a lot of slow-developing pass plays and could outscheme himself and put his OL in a bad spot.  He revolutionized his offense using the RPO and it turned him into one of the best OCs in the country. It does a lot of the same things for him as a running QB by putting the defense in conflict and basically making them account for an extra player on every play while still holding true to his offensive philosophy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sark’s never been a big fan of a running QB. He’s basically never recruited a running QB except for one guy at UW and he didn’t really pan out. 

This was a problem for Sark for a while. He ran a lot of slow-developing pass plays and could outscheme himself and put his OL in a bad spot.  He revolutionized his offense using the RPO and it turned him into one of the best OCs in the country. It does a lot of the same things for him as a running QB by putting the defense in conflict and basically making them account for an extra player on every play while still holding true to his offensive philosophy. 

Jake Locker probably made him want to jump off a cliff. 

Maybe being loaded with 5 stars who were developed under Saban had more to do with making Sark appear to be one of the best OC’s than revolutionizing his offense using RPO’s.

Last time Sark inherited just above average talent, he was fired in the NFL and did OK at Washington and USC.

He should be OK and hired a better staff than we’ve had maybe ever, but let’s wait and see what he can do with Kai Money and Cade Brewer before sucking each other’s dick.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Maybe being loaded with 5 stars who were developed under Saban had more to do with making Sark appear to be one of the best OC’s than revolutionizing his offense using RPO’s.

Last time Sark inherited just above average talent, he was fired in the NFL and did OK at Washington and USC.

He should be OK and hired a better staff than we’ve had maybe ever, but let’s wait and see what he can do with Kai Money and Cade Brewer before sucking each other’s dick.

He built the Washington team that Petersen took to the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Yeah, what the computer said. Saban regularly had offenses with multiple first rounds picks on the OL, and Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Eddie Lacy, and Trent Richardson all on the same team that would finish outside the top 20 in yards and points. It wasn't until he hired Kiffin that things really took off for their offense and they peaked last season under Sark. 

I think it's safe to say Washington was pretty below average talent that he inherited. USC is it's own deal. It's also worth noting that he didn't call the plays at those stops and he's called that a mistake that he won't be making again. Guy knows his strengths as a coach and has learned from his missteps along the way. 

We have enough talent where the only thing he should have to do with Money and Brewer is figure out their proper placement for a nice senior day ovation. 

That said...yeah fine it's probably not a bad idea to hold off on sucking each other's dick after the decade plus we've had. It's silly to act like his offensive reputation is solely based on Saban's 5stars though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1