texifornia

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Per betonline ag, here's all our posted spreads:

ULL -13.5

Arky -3.5

OU +10.5

OSU -2.5

ISU +7.5

They have our season O/U at 8 but leaning heavily towards the under. U= -155, O=+125. Based on that, I'm surprised they have us favored so heavily over ULL and favored at all against OSU, since other than TCU, I'd expect them to have us favored against every other team on our schedule. 

On 6/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, Burt Macklin said:

I've read some of this guy's stuff before and was pretty impressed with his system. I hope he's right.  If he has any confidence in his metrics, he better go fly to Vegas and bet his house on Texas over 7.5 and 4.5 in conference.

Nobody:

Snacks: Let's see, do I try to buy a business or do I Black Swan YOLO that bitch?!?!?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

ULL -13.5

Arky -3.5

OU +10.5

OSU -2.5

ISU +7.5

They have our season O/U at 8 but leaning heavily towards the under. U= -155, O=+125. Based on that, I'm surprised they have us favored so heavily over ULL and favored at all against OSU, since other than TCU, I'd expect them to have us favored against every other team on our schedule. 

Funny, I don't think we've lost a RRS by double digits since 2012. I guess OU is getting a lot of hype but I'd be surprised if we don't keep it close.

9 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Funny, I don't think we've lost a RRS by double digits since 2012. I guess OU is getting a lot of hype but I'd be surprised if we don't keep it close.

Close? They will be undefeated and ripe for a loss. We will be 2-0 against those dipshits this year. 

Motherfucker said “close”. SMH

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

That would be sick. I already have YouTube Premium and YouTube Music Premium so that would let me cancel my Cox subscription. 
Not the same as Youtube tv, which is basically like having cable...just cuts out having to deal with a cable company and renting a cable box. You're looking at like $50+ on top of YT premium. I have Hulu+ live tv because my wife likes it, lots of chick stuff. It's not bad by any means, but not really much of a savings vs spectrum cable.

9 hours ago, Droopy said:

Close? They will be undefeated and ripe for a loss. We will be 2-0 against those dipshits this year. 

Motherfucker said “close”. SMH

Yeah it’s time to fuck them up. Mercilessly. Once just fucking once I’d like to hang 60+ on em and have the game clearly in the bag 3 possessions into the game  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ousux said:

Not the same as Youtube tv, which is basically like having cable...just cuts out having to deal with a cable company and renting a cable box. You're looking at like $50+ on top of YT premium. I have Hulu+ live tv because my wife likes it, lots of chick stuff. It's not bad by any means, but not really much of a savings vs spectrum cable.

Yeah that's what I figured. I've never tried YouTube TV but to get LHN with Cox in Northwest Arkansas I have to have basically the highest sports package they offer which I am sure costs much more than $50 a month. I think at least. The wife pays the bills.

Ian Boyd's latest post - not going through work of pics

Texas’ offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Kyle Flood has an interesting puzzle to solve in the coming fall camp. For most of the offseason the assumption has been Texas would carry on the work Mike Yurcich started and lean on outside zone as the primary running scheme in 2021. The move to outside zone was at times disastrous for Texas in 2020 but it clearly suited the strengths of younger players on the unit, particularly center Jake Majors.

However Flood is now experimenting with a bigger, heavier, and older group across Texas’ front which would more closely match the composition of his Alabama crew from 2019 and 2020. This wouldn’t be the first time Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood took over a football team which leaned heavily on outside zone and moved the team philosophically in a different direction. Sarkisian was fired at Atlanta after struggling to wield the offensive roster and system left in place by Kyle Shanahan before head coach Dan Quinn fired Shanahan after the 28-3 debacle against the Patriots in the Super Bowl. They didn't abandon outside zone in Atlanta but they did diversify and Sark notably struggled to execute Shanahan's systme.

After heading back to the college ranks together, Sarkisian and Flood inherited a different system at Alabama which Sark had a better command over. The RPO-heavy system installed by his former colleague Lane Kiffin. The Alabama offense used wide zone as one of a few arrows in the run game quiver, also making heavy use of inside zone and gap schemes which set up the play-action everyone associates with the devastating 2020 Crimson Tide. Some of the play-action was added to the existing RPO system at Alabama by Sark and designed to maximize the threat of the RPOs.

The wide zone offense is also well known for setting up play-action but a lot of the vertical passing favored by Sark was typically accompanied with counter play-action in Tuscaloosa.

It’s hard to get a stronger reaction from the defense on play-action than when you pull a guard. Sark and Flood love their system they ran at Alabama and would surely like to mimic it as closely as possible at Texas. Here’s the options and challenges confronting them in building the essential pieces along the offensive line to execute their vision.

Two divergent pathways along the offensive line

There are two major lineup options for Texas on the offensive line in 2021 and they are as follows:

Flood's offseason dilemma.jpg

If the Longhorns are able to add LSU transfer Dare Rosenthal (6-7, 327 pound redshirt junior) then you figure he slides in at left tackle and Christian Jones and Derek Kerstetter battle for right tackle.

Andrej Karic could probably end up at left guard or tackle and Flood may start him on the bench to see if injury makes the choice for him. Both Karic and Majors, as well as Tyler Johnson, are all younger, faster, and leaner players who have done most of their best work as Longhorns in the wide zone concept. The Denzel Okafor, Derek Kerstetter, Tope Imade trio of super seniors are all a bit stouter and received most of their development in Tom Herman’s tight zone system.

While Imade makes the big difference in size, it’s going from Majors to Angilau that takes the line from being highly agile for the wide zone scheme to being more power oriented. Imade’s size and power is a double down on the same move.

It appears if Flood and Sark had their druthers they’d focus as much or more on gap and inside zone schemes as they do on wide zone. The reason smashmouth spread offensive coaches have typically preferred gap and inside zone is they call for big, stout offensive linemen who tend to double as effective pass protectors for vertical shots.

Wide zone offensive linemen are often lighter, quicker, and also shorter. Good defensive linemen can go by or through those linemen in the pass rush and the best play-action schemes from wide zone tend to get the quarterback moving laterally.

What’s more, the world of RPO schemes tend to work best paired with the smashmouth, downhill runs which suck in defenders around the box, leaving the perimeter to be attacked with the quick passing game. Sark’s RPO/play-action system has more bullets if they can lean as much or more on the power run game to set up RPOs and play-action as they do on wide zone.

In fact, much of Sark's best play-action and what really allowed Alabama to take off were the way they married the play-action and RPO concepts in the offense. Rather than just running standard three-level play-action route combinations, Sark would run them from protections and with wide receiver splits or double moves designed to mimic their RPOs. In the Big 12 as much as anywhere in the nation, defenses regularly have safeties sit flat-footed on RPO routes like the "glance" rather than getting depth at the snap. A flat-footed quarters or post safety sitting on standard routes becomes a sitting duck when the receiver leans into the route he's expecting before turning and blowing by him.

The only catch? You want a big, mauling offensive line building a wall in front of the quarterback so he can take a deep drop and have time to let it fly.

The greater context for Texas

There are other issues to consider in choosing the offensive line beyond the playbook preferences of Sark and Flood. The most obvious question is “what will best serve Bijan Robinson, the best player on the team?”

The answer is, “whatever the rest of the team does best.” Wide zone is really a system unspecific to the skills of the running back. Bijan excelled late in the year in wide zone because Texas blocked it well and because Bijan is exceptional. The calculus in determining the best schemes for Bijan is fairly complicated but only because of his versatility. His agility makes him deadlier than most running backs in tight zone or gap schemes, so there’s an opportunity cost to not using him in those systems. Then again, wide zone is often the best system for generating explosive runs for anyone because it can create big creases.

Flood and Sark will probably split the baby and run all of these schemes, the question is which offensive linemen will they start and which schemes will those guys excel best in? For Bijan, it hardly matters so long as they do it effectively. If the call is to play Majors and maybe Karic to get more quickness along the line then what matters is doing it with precision. If they go big then the upside would mostly come not from being able to mash opponents in the run game but from the improved size and obstruction for pass-rushers. Better protection means better RPOs and play-action, which then clear out space for Bijan to work in the alleys when he receives the ball on hand-offs.

If the staff feels Hudson Card (or Casey Thompson) and these wide receivers can be real threats in the RPO and vertical passing game, then perhaps they think they can set Bijan up more effectively with the smashmouth spread approach than in emphasizing wide zone. In turn, Card's comfort in the pocket and arm strength fits better with the smashmouth world whereas Thompson is clearly more comfortable working on the backside of wide zone with keeper reads and rollouts. Could this come down to the quarterback battle?

Finally there’s the competition. Most importantly, Oklahoma.

Ever since Alex Grinch arrived in Norman, Texas’ ostensibly “two-back power run game and play-action” offense has been badly humbled in Dallas. They've relied heavily on Sam Ehlinger’s ability to mix spread passing and scrambles to stay remotely competitive on the scoreboard against Oklahoma and usually only as a result of desperate, up-tempo drives in the fourth quarter.

Grinch’s defense is designed to stop the smashmouth spread and he does it with speed up front. The 2021 Sooners will match Texas’ offensive line with the following five players up front:

Grinch’s 2021 front.jpg

Ugwoegbu, the field linebacker, is a sort of hybrid between a normal inside linebacker and an edge player. The Sooners utilized Kenneth Murray in this fashion in 2019 with great success and Ugwoegbu is expected to pick up the mantle in 2021. Behind these five the Sooners will play one true inside linebacker, two safeties, a nickel, and two cornerbacks.

It’s a pressure-oriented front designed to hit you with powerful but speedy athletes across from every offensive lineman. Grinch is making a bet on every snap he’ll create a negative play due to an athletic mismatch somewhere up front. If something slips, he has his safeties sitting flat-footed to prevent any back-breaking damage from occurring. It only takes for one guard to lose track of one of these speedy ends or fail to pick up a stunting linebacker and there’s a Sooner in the backfield wrecking the design of the play.

So how do you counter?

Barring having the athletes across the offensive line to match up to the Sooners and expecting to consistently win 1-on-1 against all five defenders, there are two pathways.

One is to spread the Sooners out with four/five-wide receiver sets and wear those linebackers out with bad matchups in space, repeated pass-rush repetitions, and getting the ball out before Oklahoma's front can thwart the play in the trenches. I firmly believe this approach would work very well...for another team. With young pass-catchers, a left tackle who was soundly thrashed in pass protection against this defense a year ago, and a green quarterback it’s not the best bet for the 2021 Texas Longhorns.

The other path is to get extra size on the field and build a wall up front with tight splits, tight ends, and straight ahead run schemes like “duo” mixed with play-action and RPO shots against the 1-on-1 matchups Grinch will concede on the perimeter or with his flat-footed safeties.

This approach has not worked terribly well against the Sooners in the Grinch era, although we’ve seen glimpses of paydirt from K-State and Iowa State, but it's also not really been well tested. We haven’t seen it from a line as big and experienced as this Texas unit nor executed with RPOs and play-action of the caliber Sark has in his playbook.

Here’s “duo," the ultimate pro-style/smashmouth run scheme drawn up against the Sooner front:

Duo vs Sooners.jpg

There are two main dimensions to the famous “duo” play. The first is you get TWO double teams at the point of attack, hence the “duo” moniker. If Flood chose the bigger lineup, he’d get Junior Angilau and Tope Imade looking to catch and drive Perrion Winfrey (the nose tackle) and then Derek Kerstetter and Jared Wiley doing the same against Isaiah Thomas (field defensive end). Cade Brewer would take the nickel or sam linebacker 1-on-1 and then they could try and attach RPOs outside or bring in the Z receiver to help block the nickel or climb up to the safety if he dropped down in the box.

The second dimension to this play is you don’t block the middle linebacker. The running back reads him and makes his cut based on where the linebacker commits. Typically the linebacker comes downhill to plug behind the double teams and then the running back cuts back on the edge behind the wall of tight ends and/or Z receiver. This would be more favorable for Texas if Brendan Radley-Hiles was still hanging out on the edge (transferred to Washington) but Brewer vs any of OU’s linebackers or safeties is still a pretty good matchup for the ‘horns, especially when the ball is in Bijan’s hands.

Texas ran a version of inside zone under Tom Herman closely akin to duo, but they did so from 11 personnel and were inconsistent about using RPOs to protect the scheme from being outnumbered by late coming defensive backs. Alabama had the 11 personnel version of duo in their playbook, often called "uno" because you only get one double team at the point of attack, but the 2021 Longhorns would be able to make more use of duo because of their depth at tight end.

You run this play against Oklahoma if you wanted to dispense with the athletic battles in space against their speedy defensive linemen and just turn it into a contest of brutes with the 1-on-1 athletic battles taking place between Bijan and their second level defenders. Given where Texas’ experience is on the roster, and where it isn’t, this approach might make the most sense.

You don’t want to gear your entire season around one game, but the same reason this approach would give Texas their best chance against Oklahoma is true for one reason or another against most of the other teams on the schedule. If they can get their biggest, most experienced players across the line it gives them a chance to mix in more power run game schemes, boost the pass protection for play-action, and allow them to put the game in number 5’s hands.

It doesn't all come down to Jake Majors vs Junior Angilau at center. Majors isn't incapable of helping to double team or angle block defensive tackles and Angilau made great strides in wide zone. However, some of the position battles and lineup questions up front may reflect these broader questions about what the staff wants to emphasize in 2021 and which tactics will best allow Sark to have a Year 1 with Bijan Robinson akin to Mack Brown's 1998 run with Ricky Williams rather than Charlie Strong's 2014 with Malcolm Brown or Tom Herman's 2017 with Kyle Porter.

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah it’s time to fuck them up. Mercilessly. Once just fucking once I’d like to hang 60+ on em and have the game clearly in the bag 3 possessions into the game  

I'll see your 3 possessions and raise it to 2 possessions and a pick-6 by a one-legged safety.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

See, it's not about production and etc with NIL. If the person is charismatic, puts out good social media content, and develops large following then they will thrive in the NIL department. It's all about promoting yourself, brand, and etc when it comes to social media. As stated before attractive female college athletes who draw massive IG followers will thrive the most in NIL.

Yep.

51 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The other path is to get extra size on the field and build a wall up front with tight splits, tight ends, and straight ahead run schemes like “duo” mixed with play-action and RPO shots against the 1-on-1 matchups Grinch will concede on the perimeter or with his flat-footed safeties.

This approach has not worked terribly well against the Sooners in the Grinch era, although we’ve seen glimpses of paydirt from K-State and Iowa State, but it's also not really been well tested. We haven’t seen it from a line as big and experienced as this Texas unit nor executed with RPOs and play-action of the caliber Sark has in his playbook.

Here’s “duo," the ultimate pro-style/smashmouth run scheme drawn up against the Sooner front:

I don't know why I actually read a Boyd article. i guess I was feeling masochistic this morning, but holy shit is he dumb.  This approach has absolutely had success against Grinch. The way you beat Grinch is power run up the A and B gaps against his small front 7 that does a ton of stunting and twisting.  K State's offense is built around power runs up the A gap and they have killed OU two years in a row by running the same thing they run every week. Grinch knows what to expect and can't stop it. They put up 48 on OU in 2019 and 38 on them in 2020 while averaging 7.8 YPP. That's an insane number especially for their offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He did say "although we’ve seen glimpses of paydirt from K-State and Iowa State"

Right, but it's not glimpses at all. That approach has absolutely been proven to work against Grinch, and it's way more than just glimpses. His theory is it hasn't been proven because less talented teams than Texas have made it work consistently. That doesn't make any sense at all. KSU and ISU have had a ton of success against OU with that approach since Grinch has got here, and it's not like there's other teams that have tried that approach and failed against Grinch.

It's really the only one that has. His other option makes a little bit of sense in theory, but hasn't proven to work consistently in the slightest.

FCB

Spoiler

SOURCES: WORKOUT SKIRMISH SHEDS LIGHT ON TEAM LEADERSHIP

Sources told Horns247 that Alabama graduate transfer end/outside linebacker Ben Davis is already showing some leadership that has landed him on Steve Sarkisian’s leadership council.

After a workout earlier this week, players were told to do extra up-downs for various substandard performances during the workout.

Sources said one of Texas’ offensive linemen complained about the extra work, and Davis told him to quit being a word that rhymes with wussy and to just do the added work, because the team obviously needed it.

That led to a scuffle between Davis and the offensive lineman in which Davis apparently got the better end of the scuffle.

“It was a typical scuffle like you’d see in training camp,” a team source told Horns247. “But a lot of the guys appreciated Davis for stepping up and saying something. Some other guys probably didn’t like the way he said it. But Davis is about putting in the work and is already on (Sarkisian’s) leadership council.”

LATEST ON LSU LEFT TACKLE DARE ROSENTHAL AS TRANSFER CANDIDATE
Two sources close to the situation told Horns247 Wednesday night that if LSU starting left tackle Dare Rosenthal ’s academics check out, Rosenthal would be a strong candidate to transfer to Texas.

The problem, according to a third source, is that Rosenthal's academics may not make the cut at Texas, which has cast doubt on Rosenthal becoming a Longhorn.

Rosenthal, who entered the transfer portal on Monday, played in six games with five starts for LSU in 2020 after some off-the-field issues.

According to Tiger Details, Rosenthal played in only six games last season due to rules violations and was facing another suspension at LSU in 2021 for more rules violations.

“Yeah, listen, LSU loves Dare. Dare loved LSU,” LSU coach Ed Orgeron said on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge’s Off The Bench with Hester and T-Bob Tuesday.

“I recruited him out of Ferriday High School (in Louisiana) as a defensive lineman. He came here. He’s going to be a great left offensive tackle. He had some personal situation that he had to take care of. It was a hard decision for him, but we wish him the best. We’re gonna miss him.”

Orgeron said Rosenthal, who is 6-foot-7 and 327 pounds, has what it takes to become a first-round NFL draft pick as an offensive lineman.

Sources told Horns247 that Texas outside linebacker Ray Thornton, an LSU graduate transfer, has played a key role in getting Rosenthal to consider the Longhorns.

Several schools have expressed interest in Rosenthal. One report out of Kentucky said the Wildcats had an inside track to landing Rosenthal.

Texas was interested in purusing Rosenthal to provide depth and competition at left tackle in an attempt to replace Samuel Cosmi, a three-year starter who has moved on to the NFL.

Christian Jones, who started all of last season at right tackle, moved to left tackle in the spring and started there in UT’s Orange-White spring game.

25 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I scanned through our offensive linemen and didn't immediately identify who was most likely the pussy so that's improvement I guess. In years past there would have been multiple candidates.   

We've had quite a few linemen whose titties could double as speed bags.

ULL -13.5
Arky -3.5
OU +10.5
OSU -2.5
ISU +7.5

That is really wacky

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't know why I actually read a Boyd article. i guess I was feeling masochistic this morning, but holy shit is he dumb.  This approach has absolutely had success against Grinch. The way you beat Grinch is power run up the A and B gaps against his small front 7 that does a ton of stunting and twisting.  K State's offense is built around power runs up the A gap and they have killed OU two years in a row by running the same thing they run every week. Grinch knows what to expect and can't stop it. They put up 48 on OU in 2019 and 38 on them in 2020 while averaging 7.8 YPP. That's an insane number especially for their offense. 

I think it was the game two years ago when Herman kept running those slow developing run plays and swing passes that were going nowhere.  Then maybe in the 3rd quarter ran right up the middle with Rojo for a 50+ yard gain and a TD on the same play right after.  Frustrating.

This is a legit concern all teams will have contend with. Players have enough on their plate trying to juggle being a student, athlete with near year round obligations, social life...now this. I have a buddy that played O-line at Houston (not exactly Ivy league academics) and he said between football and schoolwork, all he wanted to do is sleep during the rare downtimes.

Eric Nahlin

Fisticuffs

On June 19th we noted workout intensity has been dialed up and the honeymoon period with the S&C staff was over. This was illustrated this week when Torre Becton’s harder governance came into question by one of the players. New arrival Ben Davis, who was brought in as much to help police culture as he was to play outside linebacker, took umbrage with the player for questioning the coaches. Pushes led to punches and before you knew it, Davis got his point across.

This underscores the difficult position Steve Sarkisian finds himself — how to get through to old players their way of doing things isn’t good enough while not alienating them.

Tom Herman famously alienated the team five minutes upon arrival. Sarkisian has been a far superior bridge builder but it’s unclear where that bridge is taking him.

The player Davis scuffled with is on the leadership council, so that’s an indication of the amount of work left to be done.

Another example of how far the team has to go was the amount of no-shows (around 15-20) for the voluntary player driven practice on Thursday ahead of their holiday weekend off. Our interpretation is that practice being voluntary was a test and a number of players, some even leaders (let‘s just call them vocal leaders now), failed it.

Monday is going to come quick for these guys and you can bet Torre Becton will be designing a very difficult workout with these players in mind. We’ll see how they respond.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2021 at 10:56 AM, Machinator said:

FCB

Hide contents

SOURCES: WORKOUT SKIRMISH SHEDS LIGHT ON TEAM LEADERSHIP

Sources told Horns247 that Alabama graduate transfer end/outside linebacker Ben Davis is already showing some leadership that has landed him on Steve Sarkisian’s leadership council.

After a workout earlier this week, players were told to do extra up-downs for various substandard performances during the workout.

Sources said one of Texas’ offensive linemen complained about the extra work, and Davis told him to quit being a word that rhymes with wussy and to just do the added work, because the team obviously needed it.

That led to a scuffle between Davis and the offensive lineman in which Davis apparently got the better end of the scuffle.

“It was a typical scuffle like you’d see in training camp,” a team source told Horns247. “But a lot of the guys appreciated Davis for stepping up and saying something. Some other guys probably didn’t like the way he said it. But Davis is about putting in the work and is already on (Sarkisian’s) leadership council.”

LATEST ON LSU LEFT TACKLE DARE ROSENTHAL AS TRANSFER CANDIDATE
Two sources close to the situation told Horns247 Wednesday night that if LSU starting left tackle Dare Rosenthal ’s academics check out, Rosenthal would be a strong candidate to transfer to Texas.

The problem, according to a third source, is that Rosenthal's academics may not make the cut at Texas, which has cast doubt on Rosenthal becoming a Longhorn.

Rosenthal, who entered the transfer portal on Monday, played in six games with five starts for LSU in 2020 after some off-the-field issues.

According to Tiger Details, Rosenthal played in only six games last season due to rules violations and was facing another suspension at LSU in 2021 for more rules violations.

“Yeah, listen, LSU loves Dare. Dare loved LSU,” LSU coach Ed Orgeron said on 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge’s Off The Bench with Hester and T-Bob Tuesday.

“I recruited him out of Ferriday High School (in Louisiana) as a defensive lineman. He came here. He’s going to be a great left offensive tackle. He had some personal situation that he had to take care of. It was a hard decision for him, but we wish him the best. We’re gonna miss him.”

Orgeron said Rosenthal, who is 6-foot-7 and 327 pounds, has what it takes to become a first-round NFL draft pick as an offensive lineman.

Sources told Horns247 that Texas outside linebacker Ray Thornton, an LSU graduate transfer, has played a key role in getting Rosenthal to consider the Longhorns.

Several schools have expressed interest in Rosenthal. One report out of Kentucky said the Wildcats had an inside track to landing Rosenthal.

Texas was interested in purusing Rosenthal to provide depth and competition at left tackle in an attempt to replace Samuel Cosmi, a three-year starter who has moved on to the NFL.

Christian Jones, who started all of last season at right tackle, moved to left tackle in the spring and started there in UT’s Orange-White spring game.

This is a good thing. Need some strong outside influence in a program that may still have some soft ass back bone from the previous leadership.  Glad to see some guys stepping up