2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

10 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

247 Sports came out with top 150 portal transfers for 2021.  I had been following our folks (in/out) and a few that were rumored to be targets but for the most part was not paying attention.  I was surprised by a few items as represented by the list:

1) Texas first inbound is our new RB at #70 from AL (Robinson)

Prior to #70:

2) Texas has three outbound (Ingram, Smith, Alford) 

3) Suck has three in the top 21 - all inbound from Tenn and 5 overall

4) SMU (3), Baylor (2), WV (2), TCU (2), and Tech (1)

What does it mean - not jack shit - other than this staff didn't hit the ball out of the park on inbound talent where there was a bunch out there for the taking.  Maybe our bag game was stuck in neutral through the major parts of the cycle,  or they had other shit to worry about, or that list sucks.    

Football transfer recruiting is a much different animal from basketball. No one player is going to flip a good team to bad, so you're relying on either "come win a title this year," "you have a guaranteed starting spot," existing connections, or homesickness.

The LB/OLB guys should shore up an obvious weak spot in the staff's eyes and Keilan should be fun as hell. I wouldn't be too worried.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

247 Sports came out with top 150 portal transfers for 2021.  I had been following our folks (in/out) and a few that were rumored to be targets but for the most part was not paying attention.  I was surprised by a few items as represented by the list:

1) Texas first inbound is our new RB at #70 from AL (Robinson)

Prior to #70:

2) Texas has three outbound (Ingram, Smith, Alford) 

3) Suck has three in the top 21 - all inbound from Tenn and 5 overall

4) SMU (3), Baylor (2), WV (2), TCU (2), and Tech (1)

What does it mean - not jack shit - other than this staff didn't hit the ball out of the park on inbound talent where there was a bunch out there for the taking.  Maybe our bag game was stuck in neutral through the major parts of the cycle,  or they had other shit to worry about, or that list sucks.    

If it had Ingram and Smith higher than 70 then it probably sucks, though Ingram could be very good if he sheds some weight.

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

And the UCLA game where we kicked off twice, the Cal game, at ND, loss to Kansas, the TCU blowouts.  JFC. It really is a tough list to make. So many horrible moments.

Apparently we got shutout by ISU in 2015, 24-0? I have no recollection whatsoever of that game. 

That was peak Charlie Strong. If I remember correctly, he went for it on 4th and goal in the closing minutes of the game. I guess taking the field goal there would've been even more pathetic, but at least we'd be saying it was 24-3 that day. Couldn't even get a score in garbage time. Now I'm just questioning why I sat through all 4 quarters of that abortion.

14 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

the Cal game, 

Which one?  The game in Austin where Nick Rose missed the PAT or up in Berkeley when Charlie decided to put late in the 4th with not much time left when we needed to score?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

12 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Iowa State 24-0 buttfucking was memorable for just one thing.

image.gif.7f84dde3e8ed80357898e09293db8334.gif

I was at that game. It was Halloween night I believe. My birthday was the next day. What a shitty birthday. I don’t think we crossed the 50 yard line all night. It was humiliating. 

Edited by CowtownHorn
Rage!

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Which one?  The game in Austin where Nick Rose missed the PAT or up in Berkeley when Charlie decided to put late in the 4th with not much time left when we needed to score?

2016 game in Berkeley, on the go-ahead TD the Cal player quite obviously let go of the ball before crossing the goal line, and Haines non-chalantly picked it up about 2 seconds later. Refs ruled “no clear immediate recovery”, cal kept the ball. Still pissed about that.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

22 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

And nobody will give a shit what Beard said in the press conference if he flops in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. 

So we’re actually getting to the 2nd round??  Give that Beard guy a raise!

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hozz said:

Lots of choices but I think the worst Strong game was the 50-7 TCU beatdown.  That was just so fucked.  30-0 after a quarter.  My god.  Dude should have been shit canned at half.

On the plus side, it led to the face-melting MSpaint by @THUJONE, which remains a timeless classic.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

2016 game in Berkeley, on the go-ahead TD the Cal player quite obviously let go of the ball before crossing the goal line, and Haines non-chalantly picked it up about 2 seconds later. Refs ruled “no clear immediate recovery”, cal kept the ball. Still pissed about that.

And it was like 2:30am or some shit. All right after we fired the cannons of being back. 

• Like 1

"Where Steve Sarkisian lands on ESPN's ranking of head coaches as players"

ESPN recently   ranked all 130 FBS head coaches based on their playing careers  (link requires subscription). The ranking put an emphasis on which players made meaningful contributions in college, regardless of level. Those who were multiyear starters or award recipients of FBS teams get more credit, as do those who played professionally.

Sarkisian landed at No. 5 overall. Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh, Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald, Tennessee’s Josh Heupel, and Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy were the only current head coaches listed ahead of him.

Sarkisian first starred at quarterback for El Camino College, setting national junior college records in both completion percentage (72.4) and pass efficiency (203.8 rating). He then transferred to BYU and earned WAC offensive player of the year honors as a senior in 1996, when he led the nation in pass efficiency (173.56) and broke Steve Young’s career completion percentage record (65.2). He won the Sammy Baugh Trophy and then played three seasons in the CFL, starting for Saskatchewan in 1999. 

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/17/texas-longhorns-football-steve-sarkisian-espn-rankings-head-coach-player-playing-career-college/

Texas Football: Four takeaways from Big 12 media day

image.png.ad47ccce9ff951fc97725709bd3c842a.png

July 16, 2021 5:43 pm CT

Texas had three representatives head to the Big 12 media day: head coach Steve Sarkisian, running back Bijan Robinson and defensive tackle Keondre Coburn. Each fielded questions about the upcoming season.  The questions ranged from favorite ice cream flavors to thoughts on the Red River Showdown, and there were headlines stemming from the Big 12’s decision to penalize players who flash the horns down at a Texas player.

This marked Sarkisian’s first Big 12 media day, and his first media day as a head coach since his days at USC, which did not end well to say the least. Sarkisian has proven savvy when it comes to answering questions, credit to Nick Saban who is quite the question answerer himself.  I will break down a few questions that Sarkisian answered that he might have meant something else by, and of course touch on the ruling of the horns down fiasco.

Steve Sarkisian on rebuilding Texas

Sarkisian rebuilt Washington after the Huskies had six seasons of not being above .500 and were fresh off an 0-12 season. He declared Thursday that Texas is not in a full rebuild, which he is absolutely right. The team lost the three games in 2020 by 13 points, and that was with inconsistencies on both sides of the field. The run game was not effective until halfway through the season, and the constant changing of who was calling plays was just ineffective. The transfers added on defense will help create more turnovers, better depth and improve a unit that was ranked 64th in the nation.

"Winning is hard" and "Fairy Dust"

These two phrases were staples of the Tom Herman era, and he would often say those after losing games they should not have or beating Tulsa by a touchdown. Now, although Sarkisian said these things, context matters. He was saying that having high-ranked players and great facilities do not equate to success. It is the work put in, along with the consistency of success that will propel the Longhorns past mediocrity. This also very well could have been a shot at Tom Herman, as Sarkisian made statements about the players actually buying into the culture.

Quarterback battle

After being asked his thoughts on Casey Thompson and essentially where Sarkisian viewed him, the first-year head coach wasted no time mentioning Hudson Card. This very well could be a statement hinting that the quarterback who many view as the favorite (Thompson), is not the favorite in his eyes. He went on to explain the 15 practices the team had in spring were not enough for him to pick a starter, which means he needs a better look at both players again, likely giving someone more time to get in his good graces. We’ve speculated before that Card could be the guy: He was the one who was showing Arch Manning around, while also being seen in a golf cart with Sarkisian. Seeing Sarkisian’s immediate reaction while answering a question about Thompson was to bring up Card only adds fuel to that belief.

Horns Down

The Big 12 announced that players will likely be penalized for flashing the horns down toward Texas players, which is one of the softest things imaginable. Coach Sarkisian and Keondre Coburn explained if a team feels the need to do than so be it. It is something that bugged Tom Herman much more than it does Sarkisian. The best way to prevent teams from not doing it, is winning; teams always want to beat up Texas because of the brand. I am pro players having fun, and the penalizing of this seems really unnecessary. It adds to the already great matchups, and creates moments like when Texas came back to win against Texas Tech after Alan Bowman did the horns down. It seems the only people this bothered are either not at Texas anymore, or are ones that are not a part of the program. Overall a bad look for the Big 12, and likely put a target on the back of Texas because of it. 

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-longhorns-football-big-12-media-day-2021-steve-sarkisian-quarterback-battle-biggest-takeaways/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I’m just ready for the season to start already. Every dipshit I run into that isn’t a Texas fan and discovers that I am, begins to pontificate about how bad our season will be and the levels of embarrassment awaiting yet ANOTHER head coach for the Longhorns that will most likely fail because of X, Y or Z. 

These motherfuckers need some god damn crow to chew, like fucking stat! Baseless arguments of hopes and dreams of Texas losing all our games and going away forever like it’s their wettest of dreams can fuck right off! These motherfuckers are whistling past the graveyard in their thought process and I’m ready to not talk shit or bring up their schools one bit because I don’t give enough of a fuck about them to waste my time. What I do want is to see these asshats at the end and smile knowing their dream turned into their worst nightmare because the Longhorns came out and imposed their will on CFB landscape and forced the issue.

I’m not saying we win it all or get a conference championship but we are going to be a tough fucking out motherfuckers. Motherfuckers are gonna learn. Laugh now. Talk shit now. Get in as much as you can now. That is going to be a tough pill at the end of the season. Hate us, because they ain’t us. 

Hook ‘em 🤘🏼 motherfuckers. 

It's kinda weird though because our team was already doing that. They were beating the fuck outta the other team physically under Mensa but found the most moronic ways to lose. They need to take the next step and start handing all these fuckers an L in addition.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

There’s just so many unknown variables. I think if the wide receivers can remain healthy, we’ll be fine. There’s not a ton of examples out there of first year head coaches without an established QB having immediate “success”. I always think of Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M in 2012. He  definitely had all the ingredients to field a solid squad, but nobody could have predicted it. 

43 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I’m just ready for the season to start already. Every dipshit I run into that isn’t a Texas fan and discovers that I am, begins to pontificate about how bad our season will be and the levels of embarrassment awaiting yet ANOTHER head coach for the Longhorns that will most likely fail because of X, Y or Z. 

These motherfuckers need some god damn crow to chew, like fucking stat! Baseless arguments of hopes and dreams of Texas losing all our games and going away forever like it’s their wettest of dreams can fuck right off! These motherfuckers are whistling past the graveyard in their thought process and I’m ready to not talk shit or bring up their schools one bit because I don’t give enough of a fuck about them to waste my time. What I do want is to see these asshats at the end and smile knowing their dream turned into their worst nightmare because the Longhorns came out and imposed their will on CFB landscape and forced the issue.

I’m not saying we win it all or get a conference championship but we are going to be a tough fucking out motherfuckers. Motherfuckers are gonna learn. Laugh now. Talk shit now. Get in as much as you can now. That is going to be a tough pill at the end of the season. Hate us, because they ain’t us. 

Drunk before noon in the offseason I see. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Droopy said:

You need some new friends, my dude

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Have you considered hanging out with less “dipshits”? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

You need some new friends, my dude

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

Drunk before noon in the offseason I see. 

2 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

Have you considered hanging out with less “dipshits”? 

That’s the thing. These are random people I do not know or are unfamiliar acquaintances. They see the Texas hat/shirt and just start with the unrequested opinions about the team/coaches/schedule. I also do not engage them. My issue is that these motherfuckers are licking their chops like never before and are brazen enough to talk shit in public to a random person they don’t know about my favorite fucking team and alma mater.

I want these dipshits to come close to the body, sniff around, then see our eyes focused on them and to have our fucking figurative hand around their collective throats before they know what the fuck hit them. Make them get the fuck back in their shitty once-a-decade motherfucking lane. These are not people that think. These are people that wait for their meathead friends to stand behind them before they start really talking shit. Pussies, to put it plainly. 

Also, not drunk. Might smoke later though. Rant over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Droopy said:

God damn motherfucking right. Motherfucker just gets straight to the point. Just a beautiful word  

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m just tired of the media asking whether “Texas is back”.  We need a conference championship and we need to beat OU along the way to get that monkey off our back. I don’t want to wait any longer. We need it this year, despite OU being favored. Bring me this, Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mostly like the guys I negged here as posters, but I am sick and fucking tired of seeing people engage with the fucking futureman clown. Full auto-neg when his insipid, boring shit gets quoted. Thanks. 

Anybody familiar with "The Challenge," a 1970 flick with Darren McGavin and somebody named Mako?  Premise: All-out war between the United States and a non-specific Asian country is averted when the two sides agree to settle their differences by each choosing a single soldier as champion, and having those two men fight to the death on a deserted South Pacific island.  Y'all see where I'm going with this?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mostly like the guys I negged here as posters, but I am sick and fucking tired of seeing people engage with the fucking futureman clown. Full auto-neg when his insipid, boring shit gets quoted. Thanks. 

I handed you your ass years ago and you tucked tail like a bitch. you’re a fake insider and a short, fat pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2