2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I mostly like the guys I negged here as posters, but I am sick and fucking tired of seeing people engage with the fucking futureman clown. Full auto-neg when his insipid, boring shit gets quoted. Thanks. 

I know it would take a long time due to his current rep, but why can't we just neg bomb him like a couple of the others it happened to this past year? Also, I'm fully aware he's going to start negging the shit out of me from here on out. Oh well, someone had to suggest it.

15 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

Anybody familiar with "The Challenge," a 1970 flick with Darren McGavin and somebody named Mako?  Premise: All-out war between the United States and a non-specific Asian country is averted when the two sides agree to settle their differences by each choosing a single soldier as champion, and having those two men fight to the death on a deserted South Pacific island.  Y'all see where I'm going with this?

Surly Single Combat Tournament 2021

IT Scoop

Eric Nahlin

By: Justin, Gerry, Joe, and Eric

Team

The off-season is coming to a close, meaning new S&C coach Torre Becton’s first 7-8 months will be on display. Yancy McKnight, the previous S&C coach, finished with a bad rap at Texas but he did a lot of good things, namely increasing team baseline strength and toughening a program in desperate need of it.

While McKnight increased team strength, players seemingly lost flexibility in the process. That’s what Becton is trying to improve first and foremost. Here are a few player quotes from Big 12 Media Days along those lines.

Bijan Robinson: “Even in high school, I never really had over 20 carries in a game. We just talk about making sure that my endurance is up, and making sure I’m ready for games like that. Making sure I’m prepared for anything that comes. I’ll do whatever I can to help the team, whether it’s 25 carries, whether it’s 10 carries. You’ve just got to be productive on anything you do get.”

Bijan Robinson: “This year with Coach Torre, he’s been real focused on explosion, speed, making sure we’re flexible. Making sure our hips are right, because I feel that hips are the biggest thing in football. You need them. How he talks to us, how we’ve improved in our game, it’s been really fun to watch. Coach Yancy was a great strength coach for us. I’ve been here for one year with him and had a great relationship with him. But I just feel this year is big for what he’s trying to do, for what Coach Becton is trying to do, and I see his experiences he’s had with other teams. What he’s bringing to our team it’s got a different feel, and I can’t wait for it to be on display.

Keondre Coburn: “Yancy, I love Yancy. I love Yancy to death. The difference is Bec is… I don’t know how to answer that question. They’re both different people, different type of styles. With Coach McKnight, it was more being strong and lifting heavy like squat. Coach Bec, we were doing power clean, hang clean, Olympic lifts I call it. I didn’t even know I could do that. It’s just two different styles.“

As IT has mentioned the workouts have become increasingly difficult. The players are doing a lot of HIIT (high intensity interval training) that includes both speed and weight work. A very basic example would be shuttle runs followed by pushups.

They also do lifting complexes. An example of that would be three squats, three squat to press, three clean pull, three power cleans. If you are not familiar, this type of work will fatigue you in a hurry.

It’s important to note the ”big” and “little” players do different workouts.

We have no idea how much of an improvement the players will make under Becton, but they seem to be responding well to him and his style of training is the logical progression to what McKnight instilled.

Sark at THSCA

Many of Steve Sarkisian’s previous clinics have been all about X’s and O’s. Whether it be showing off what he did with Tua Tagovailoa, Mac Jones, or even Matt Ryan, up until this point his public speaking ventures with coaches had been all about on-field matters.

At the Texas High School Coaches Association’s coaching school in San Antonio, Sarkisian spoke more about off-field matters and how he goes about building his culture. We’ll offer plenty from Sarkisian’s 40-minute speech this upcoming week, but some tidbits:

The Early Days and the later years: Sarkisian mentioned all the things he needs to when talking to the THSCA. He mentioned how Texas is “your program” and he gets to coach “your kids.” He also revealed he ran into a little bit of trouble when he met with the THSCA board in San Marcos shortly after arriving in Austin.

“Unfortunately, I got an NCAA violation for that,” Sarkisian said with a smile. “I wasn’t allowed to meet with those guys. So I got a violation one day on the job.”

But meeting with those coaches was so important to him, Sarkisian probably couldn’t care less he received a call from compliance. He said athletes from Texas are his “lifeline,” and Texas needs their players in order for Sarkisian to achieve his career aspirations.

“The goal is to retire here,” Sarkisian said of the UT job. “The only way I’m going to be able to retire here is developing great relationships with everybody in this room, and that’s why we’re here.”

Not a rebuild, but…: “I really believe you have to build a solid foundation when you take over a program," Sarkisian said. "Now, we are not starting in a total rebuild. I’ve done that. When I became the head coach of the University of Washington in 2009, I was 33 years old. They were 0-12 the year before I got it. That was a rebuild. Clearly here, taking over this program that was 7-3, we’ve got a pretty good roster. We’ve got a roster in place that’s talented enough to compete at the highest level. All that being said, we still have a startup mentality. We’re still a startup organization so we have to build a solid foundation and build it from the ground up to do it the way we want to do it.”

‘The forks’: One of the things Sarkisian mentioned is there are three major aspects in a players’ life that makes up a “wheel”: football life, academic life, and personal/social life. If all three are spinning, the whole wheel is spinning. Sarkisian mentioned his job is to look for “the forks” that could disrupt the wheel. If something is happening in a player’s personal life, then it will almost certainly affect how they study and how they prepare on the field.

“I’ve got to see the forks,” Sarkisian said. “I’ve got to keep the wheels spinning because the moment one of these wheels come to a stop, if I don’t yank the fork out of that wheel the other two are inevitably going to come to a stop. And the kid’s worlds get out of whack.”

Four Rules: Sarkisian mentioned Texas has four team rules. We’ll lay them out before we go into further detail about them later in the week. Rule 1: Protect the team. Rule 2: No whining, no complaining, no excuses. Rule 3: Be early. Rule 4: Communicate.

Four Pillars: Discipline, commitment, toughness, and accountability. “Championship quality teams have these four pillars from little league football to the NFL” Sarkisian said.

A lot of what Sarkisian was asked at media days centered on culture. His answers were more macro, while a 40-minute presentation on it to high school coaches allowed for him to dive into the details. We’ll have more on the process behind culture building, plus notes on Jeff Banks’ special teams presentation to high school coaches, which one Inside Texas source called ”the best I’ve seen” in several years attending coaching school.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Joe Cook - Sark's QB Decision

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has 15 practices under his belt in Austin, but that was not enough data for him to make a decision on what he calls the most important position in sports -- quarterback.

Redshirt freshman Hudson Card and junior Casey Thompson are competing to succeed Sam Ehlinger as the Longhorns’ starting quarterback. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and had ups and downs during the spring, but Sarkisian needs more data before he names a starter ahead of the opener versus Louisiana.

At Big 12 Media Days, Sarkisian praised both of the contenders. He said it is a luxury for him to have to choose between Thompson and Card. He lauded Thompson for his athleticism, focus, and football IQ. Card was complimented for his passing ability and instincts.

Eventually, he’ll have to “trust his gut” and decide, a process he does not want to be easy.

“When we do, it’s not going to be because the other guy gave the job up,” Sarkisian said July 15. “They’re going to make it tough on me. That’s what I told them. 'You guys need to make this decision as hard as you can on me.'”

In the current climate, a quarterback waiting his turn for an opportunity is becoming less common. Some quarterbacks, including ones who were at Texas, don’t care to wait for a chance to play.

Whether Card or Thompson wins the Longhorn quarterback job, Sarkisian explained how crucial the runner-up’s role would be in the 2021 season. Even if it is unlikely both quarterbacks stick around, Sarkisian made his case against the backup immediately entering the transfer portal following the results of the competition.

“Because I name one guy the starter doesn’t mean we don’t need the other one because the other guy’s a play away,” Sarkisian said. “In this day and age of college football, to think you’ll go 13, 14 games throughout a season with one quarterback probably isn’t realistic.”

Gut decisions don’t typically have timeframes, but answers regarding game one prep may indicate when Sarkisian would like to have his choice known. Texas opens the 2021 season against Louisiana, who went 10-1 in 2020, topped Iowa State to open the season, and finished No. 15 in the AP poll.

At the Texas High School Coaches Association’s annual coaching school, Sarkisian said his staff already has looked at the Ragin’ Cajuns. They hope to start actual prep with the players for Louisiana “probably two weeks out.”

Two weeks from the season-opener is a popular juncture for coaches to name starters. Texas will likely have scrimmaged two or three times by August 21, with both Thompson and Card receiving ample opportunity to take hold of the starting role.

From that point on, it will be about preparing for Sarkisian’s former coworker at Alabama, Billy Napier.

“They return 20 guys,” Sarkisian said. “Veteran group, they play sound football. They believe in running the ball. They believe in keeping the ball in front of them on defense and attacking up front. We’ve got our work cut out for us, for sure.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If you like silly Instagram shit, Cade Brewer is now sponsored by Friday Beers: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRhpTDQDpFi/?utm_medium=copy_link

On one level it works: I do want to drink heavily when I see certain people in the lineup.

Wow, that video was horrible. And staunch religious dude Tebow gonna be pissed nonplussed when he sees they are using his NIL for that lame shit. No way he agreed to that. 

On 7/18/2021 at 3:37 PM, futureman said:

just abide by the laws and we won’t have a problem. 

The dude abides

His name's droopy and he's gonna slit the throat of the next sorry sap that comes up to him and mentions Texas football possibly remaining mediocre. Nice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 11:12 AM, closetohumping said:

I lived in Seattle for a bit.  Some people called him Seagrams 7 Steve.  Assclowns

They weren't wrong for what he was. 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:12 PM, Ricky Butler said:

Did CTJ say this was the best coaching staff in the past 30 years or something? We're golden.

I think 2004 has a pretty strong argument for 2nd place, but outside of that, you gotta go way back to find a comparable staff. Much longer than 30 years, too.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:56 AM, Droopy said:

I’m just ready for the season to start already. Every dipshit I run into that isn’t a Texas fan and discovers that I am, begins to pontificate about how bad our season will be and the levels of embarrassment awaiting yet ANOTHER head coach for the Longhorns that will most likely fail because of X, Y or Z. 

These motherfuckers need some god damn crow to chew, like fucking stat! Baseless arguments of hopes and dreams of Texas losing all our games and going away forever like it’s their wettest of dreams can fuck right off! These motherfuckers are whistling past the graveyard in their thought process and I’m ready to not talk shit or bring up their schools one bit because I don’t give enough of a fuck about them to waste my time. What I do want is to see these asshats at the end and smile knowing their dream turned into their worst nightmare because the Longhorns came out and imposed their will on CFB landscape and forced the issue.

I’m not saying we win it all or get a conference championship but we are going to be a tough fucking out motherfuckers. Motherfuckers are gonna learn. Laugh now. Talk shit now. Get in as much as you can now. That is going to be a tough pill at the end of the season. Hate us, because they ain’t us. 

Hook ‘em 🤘🏼 motherfuckers. 

Shit. When they say that, I just let 'em talk. I'm not hand-wringing like CTJ, I'm not "well if this happens and that happens then maybe..." I'm in full show me a motherfucking loss, motherfucker mode. 

We had the talent to run the table last year, and this year's almost as good, but now with actual coaching.

The year it reminds me of the most is 2008. Everyone was talkin' about how tough our schedule was...then we went out there and nearly won it all. Would've if not for a freak play by a great player in Crabtree. Fuck that guy, anyhow.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:50 AM, NTVTXN said:

Have you considered hanging out with less “dipshits”? 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

They weren't wrong for what he was. 

I think 2004 has a pretty strong argument for 2nd place, but outside of that, you gotta go way back to find a comparable staff. Much longer than 30 years, too.

Shit. When they say that, I just let 'em talk. I'm not hand-wringing like CTJ, I'm not "well if this happens and that happens then maybe..." I'm in full show me a motherfucking loss, motherfucker mode. 

We had the talent to run the table last year, and this year's almost as good, but now with actual coaching.

The year it reminds me of the most is 2008. Everyone was talkin' about how tough our schedule was...then we went out there and nearly won it all. Would've if not for a freak play by a great player in Crabtree. Fuck that guy, anyhow.

giphy.gif

Interesting. Most I encounter feel we will be better simply because we jettisoned Tom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not to continue kicking ourselves in the balls over the past, but that wasn't a freak play by Crabtree.  It was shitty coverage and tackling by our DBs.

It was 45 minutes of utterly incompetent football, 12 minutes of a brilliant rally, and 3 minutes of letdown. The halftime score was 22-6 Tech, as Texas had rallied to kick 2 FGs in the last 5:30 of the 1st half. We stopped the opening drive of the 2nd half, returned the punt for a TD, then Colt McCoy promptly threw a pick 6.

There's plenty to dissect over that last drive. However, we sucked goat arse for most of that game. With a trip to the MNC on the plate, we failed mentally.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

It was 45 minutes of utterly incompetent football, 12 minutes of a brilliant rally, and 3 minutes of letdown. The halftime score was 22-6 Tech, as Texas had rallied to kick 2 FGs in the last 5:30 of the 1st half. We stopped the opening drive of the 2nd half, returned the punt for a TD, then Colt McCoy promptly threw a pick 6.

There's plenty to dissect over that last drive. However, we sucked goat arse for most of that game. With a trip to the MNC on the plate, we failed mentally.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

stop fucking up my day with your accurate retelling of history and facts!

• Hook 'Em 1