2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

3 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I'm sure the first practice with a real coaching staff was harder than the circus they were used to.

IMO Herman's issues were more of the game management variety and a general hubris that led to poor roster management among other things. Despite that I think the players were decently prepared going into games. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

“First workout was among the hardest so far?” That’s stupid enough to remind me of a great line from “Catch 22.”

”Men. You’re American officers. The officers of no other country in the world can make that statement.”

While I agree with the sentiment, I think the distinction being made is that this was the first workout with the full staff present, and not just the S&C guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was beginning to get worried that we hadn't had a report about how difficult the workouts have been. Thank God we finally have a real s&c guy to whip our team into shape. Jesus, what a fucking cliche. Worth every penny. 

Right up there with a new coach’s solemn pronouncement that, “we will have an aggressive, attacking defense.”

• Hook 'Em 1

There's an energetic aura about Gideon that is impressing these guys as he's worked close with newly-hired cornerbacks coach and pass game coordinator Terry Joseph. These two have started their working relationship off on the right path and have conjoined to recruit some of the biggest secondary names in the state for the 2022 class.

So, Joseph and Gideon not only have a yin and yang thing going, but a Chang and Eng.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Machinator said:
  Hide contents

Texas went through the first workout with the entire new coaching staff present Friday. It’s safe to say it was far from a piece of cake.

In talking with a source close to the program following the Longhorns’ Friday workout, it was made very clear to the guys that head coach Steve Sarkisian and his coaches are all about business. The team now knows first-hand what Sarkisian's slogan, "All Gas No Brakes" truly means.

“They ran them (Friday) morning, and for like three hours,” a source told Horns247. “They believe what the ‘All Gas No Brakes’ saying means. It was rough, so they know what to expect on Fridays now.”

According to the source, Friday was the first time the team had the complete coaching staff watching their workouts due to some of the coaches still making the move to Austin after Sarkisian was hired to take over the program.

While the team has been working hard under Torre Becton, the new director of football performance, the Longhorns had not had as intense of workouts prior to Friday, but they now know this staff is not playing around.

“They thought they were in good shape,” the source said laughing about the reality of Friday’s intense workout. “They definitely know to go to sleep early on Thursdays.”

According to the source, the players were a little surprised by the intensity of the workout, but they understand the staff is doing this to make them better, even though some of the guys ended up getting sick throughout Friday's workout.

“It was just more run focused,” the source said. “(Some of the guys) said they’ve probably never run that much to where they just threw up. But you can tell in hearing the way (the players) talk about the coaches that they really respect everything they’re doing.

“They get it.”

Didn’t Herman do Family Friday or some shit where they played ping pong and laser tag?

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Didn’t Herman do Family Friday or some shit where they played ping pong and laser tag?

Wasn't that during the season? I don't think that was a bad idea actually, especially considering that most of team disliked him.

Edited by Bevo14

47 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I hope the kid is ok, it must be terrifying to crash on an elevated road, wondering if the guardrails will do their jobs. Old Man rant: Please, if you don’t need to be out, stay home. 

Rear wheel drive v8 with that kind of torque is the worst possible thing to be driving.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Is Sark the only University of Texas head coach that as a college football quarterback punked aggy violently in the ass in a football game?    McWilliams at center beat them back in the day, but Sark put a lasting hurt on their fragile asses in a big bowl game.  Props to Sark and Margin Hooks.  

Sark's BYU beat them in the regular season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Enchubben said:

We do seem to have a fair share of accidents with players.   Sergio kindle, Boyd/Foster, Overshown, Benson. I’m sure I’m forgetting some. 

Maybe once the NIL stuff takes off we can put our players in Mccombs self-driving F250’s.

fify

23 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

We do seem to have a fair share of accidents with players.   Sergio kindle, Boyd/Foster, Overshown, Benson. I’m sure I’m forgetting some. 

Maybe once the NIL stuff takes off we can put our players in Mccombs F250’s.

College kids with overpowered cars will get into accidents. Happens to every team (because they spend their "aid" money on cars everywhere)

6 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Maybe once the NIL stuff takes off we can put our players in Mccombs F250’s.

I was in 2 wrecks in college and haven’t had one since.  There’s a reason insurance costs more for males under 25.  I didn’t even have a cell phone to distract me.  I also couldn’t post the pics of my damaged car on Twitter for the world to see.

I’ll say this about Sark, I got around to watching the NSD2 presser last night, and he gave refreshingly thoughtful and informative commentary on the signees, existing players, and recruiting philosophy. I’m sure in a couple of years we’ll just look over there and see how really really hard it is to come up with new answers, but for now I’m entertained and enlightened listening to Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 1