2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

3 hours ago, Lou_Sassle said:

Damn man...card throws a pretty ball

I have a sneaking suspicion Card is going to be our guy next year. If we go into next season with Sark saying things like "We may play both of them" then you know Card will be the guy while they try to keep Thompson from hitting the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 3

IT team notes

Spoiler

Seasoned offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter will return for his fifth year. He’ll compete at right tackle. We’ll try to go deeper into detail on the offensive line later in the week.

Three 2020 opt-outs have returned too: Jack OLB Marqez Bimage, RB Daniel Young, and WR Dajon Harrison are with the team. IT has reported on the first two, but I’m not sure on Harrison. The young receiver is back, though.

Brief team meeting on Sunday: It was only about 15 minutes with the topic being getting back on track after last week’s severe interruption. The team will likely make up for a couple of lost workouts.

Team run: When you hear ‘team run’ you think of a long, military style jog. Team run at Texas means the team is going over plays, holding short meetings, then heading to the bubble for a warm up, change of direction/agility drills, special teams walk through, then splitting into teams and working on alignments and calls, before finally finishing with sprints. (They haven‘t run anything over 40 yards as far as I know)

Workouts: Monday/Wednesday/Friday are more sprint, flexibility, and agility intensive, followed by some lighter lifting. A lot of these workouts are designed to improve balance, planting, shifting weight, etc. It’s working on committing common football movement patterns to muscle memory. Tuesday/Thursday are the much greater lifting workload.

This team is anxious for spring ball.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Eric Metcalf was freakin' ELECTRIC !!!

He still could have been used better. Most of his production seemed to come from special teams. We should have gotten him the ball more in space.

But even looking at today's game, most OCs have a problem getting small tailbacks the ball. Most of those guys end up having to move to the slot. Exceptions generally occur because the offense has a complete team where receivers get the ball deep and linebackers are forced into coverage and running lanes open up.

TFB team notes

Spoiler

***Spoke with a couple sources on the locker room vibe. That was a big issue under Herman. My initial sense from folks who know Sark and have dealt with him is that he’s an incredibly down to earth and approachable guy. So, my suspicion was that the culture he’d build around the program would be closer to the culture Lincoln builds at Oklahoma and Dabo builds at Clemson.

***You can make players play well for you because they fear the consequence of not doing well or you can build a culture of love and fraternity that makes them not want to disappoint you. I always felt like Lincoln and Dabo took the latter route.

***Early on, it’s pretty clear that Sark is going to go the same route.

***I’m told in general that the players seem to view the new coaches as older brothers they looked up to and don’t want to disappoint as opposed to the previous staff who were seen as authoritarians that couldn’t relate. I certainly don’t want to say that is the personality of the previous coaches but that does seem to have been the general culture. Discipline and distance is perhaps how I’d describe it.

***The sense I’m getting is the players feel these coaches are more approachable and even flexible. In other words, rigidity isn’t the aim. Success is the aim and that requires discipline but it not all rigidity necessarily helps with the goal.

***The way it sounded to me made me think of a company like working for an oil company versus a tech company. You think of an oil company requiring you to wear a suit and work from the office and follow the rules. You think of a tech company as trying to reach a goal but not necessarily believing that wearing a suit or always working from the office matters in achieving that goal. And, if a person is more comfortable wearing jeans and a t-shirt and can get his work done effectively, then why be a stickler on a rule that doesn’t seem to impact anything other than the happiness of the worker?

***Sark is more modern, I’d say. And again, it’s similar to what we hear about OU’s program under Lincoln.

***The general sense I get is the players are much happier under this new staff.

***I did also check to see if they have started any kind of “Hell week” for the players and it sounds like they have not. Just continuing to do winter workouts and there are opportunities to do drills with the coaches. I’ll let you know what we hear about any possible stand outs.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB team notes

Hide contents

***Spoke with a couple sources on the locker room vibe. That was a big issue under Herman. My initial sense from folks who know Sark and have dealt with him is that he’s an incredibly down to earth and approachable guy. So, my suspicion was that the culture he’d build around the program would be closer to the culture Lincoln builds at Oklahoma and Dabo builds at Clemson.

***You can make players play well for you because they fear the consequence of not doing well or you can build a culture of love and fraternity that makes them not want to disappoint you. I always felt like Lincoln and Dabo took the latter route.

***Early on, it’s pretty clear that Sark is going to go the same route.

***I’m told in general that the players seem to view the new coaches as older brothers they looked up to and don’t want to disappoint as opposed to the previous staff who were seen as authoritarians that couldn’t relate. I certainly don’t want to say that is the personality of the previous coaches but that does seem to have been the general culture. Discipline and distance is perhaps how I’d describe it.

***The sense I’m getting is the players feel these coaches are more approachable and even flexible. In other words, rigidity isn’t the aim. Success is the aim and that requires discipline but it not all rigidity necessarily helps with the goal.

***The way it sounded to me made me think of a company like working for an oil company versus a tech company. You think of an oil company requiring you to wear a suit and work from the office and follow the rules. You think of a tech company as trying to reach a goal but not necessarily believing that wearing a suit or always working from the office matters in achieving that goal. And, if a person is more comfortable wearing jeans and a t-shirt and can get his work done effectively, then why be a stickler on a rule that doesn’t seem to impact anything other than the happiness of the worker?

***Sark is more modern, I’d say. And again, it’s similar to what we hear about OU’s program under Lincoln.

***The general sense I get is the players are much happier under this new staff.

***I did also check to see if they have started any kind of “Hell week” for the players and it sounds like they have not. Just continuing to do winter workouts and there are opportunities to do drills with the coaches. I’ll let you know what we hear about any possible stand outs.

People at oil companies don't wear suits lol. Attorneys or government would be a better example. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2932624-2021-college-football-recruits-who-could-start-as-freshmen

2021 College Football Recruits Who Could Start as Freshmen

BRAD SHEPARD FEBRUARY 23, 2021

Ja'Tavion Sanders, Texas Athlete

f62deba4f965dfbdc6a1ea3a40288651_crop_ex

A lot of Lone Star State prospects feature on this list, but none are as highly rated as Ja'Tavion Sanders, who could become the biggest star of all.

The biggest question is at what position?

The nation's No. 12-rated player may line up all over the place. Like Ryan High School teammate Billy Bowman, who was discussed earlier, he can do a lot of things at different spots.

Sanders could replace edge-rusher Joseph Ossai and be an instant-impact star on defense. The 6'3½", 235-pounder is fast, has great length and is strong enough to blast past offensive linemen and get home to quarterbacks for a Power Five defense.

But he also has soft hands and excellent speed for his size and could line up as a tight end or H-back for coach Steve Sarkisian. Much like Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley with Bowman, Sarkisian isn't committing to playing Sanders anywhere exclusively. He may do it all.

Will it be offense or defense? "We're going to look at him at both, quite frankly," Sarkisian told reporters.

When your coach says that, there's a good chance you're going to start somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas Football: Underclassmen who are expected to play a big role in 2021

Shane Carter   February 23, 2021 

The Texas football program has already had plenty of storylines this year with the hiring of new head coach Steve Sarkisian, players such as DeMarvion Overshown, Joshua Moore, and Bijan Robinson being mentioned for collegiate award watch lists, and of course the 2022 recruiting class momentum.

For the 2021-22 season, there’s going to be several roles open for grabs, both for starters and for second-team/rotational players. Given how the team is going to have a highly viewed quarterback battle between Casey Thompson and Hudson Card, as well as seeing eight former players enter the 2021 NFL draft, who’s going to have the biggest impact this upcoming year is a bit of a mystery right now with a new head coach at the helm.

Texas is going to have to rely on several young players to contribute this upcoming season. We’re all aware of the talent and expectations surrounding running back Bijan Robinson, but here are seven second-year players that we can expect to play in key roles for 2021.

Bijan Robinson, RB

Bijan Robinson is the most obvious on this list. Despite splitting time with Roschon Johnson, he totaled 703 yards rushing in limited playing time, including an impressive 355 yards and four touchdowns in his final two games of the season.

Expect him to still split time with Johnson, but don’t be surprised if Robinson usurps Johnson as the primary back under Sarkisian.

Andrej Karic, LT

After Samuel Cosmi opted out and Derek Kerkstteter suffered an injury against Kansas State, Andrej Karic had to step in as a true freshman. He earned his first start against Colorado in the Alamo Bowl and played well. About as well as you can expect a high school All-American to do.

He’s looking like not only a key contributor for Texas, but the starting left tackle which is even more important. Regardless of who wins the quarterback battle, it will be Karic who will be protecting their blindside.

Jake Majors, C

Jake Majors is in a similar boat as Karic. As a true freshamn, he started in the final two games of the season against KSU and Colorado. What’s great about them is that in those two games, it saw the Johnson/Robinson duo run for 321 yards and six touchdowns and 215 yards and two touchdowns respectively.

He, along with Karic, are going to come into a new-look offensive line with plenty of skill and hype around them, especially Majors as their man in the middle.

Troy Omiere, WR

It shouldn’t be a shock if Joshua Moore is the top receiver for the Longhorns this season after he lead the team in receiving yards, receptions, and touchdowns last year. However, don’t be surprised if the 6-3, 230-pound former four-star wide receiver, Troy Omiere, factors in as one of the team’s preferred passing options and takes over as the starter at the X.

It’s all based on expectations, but Omiere performed well throughout fall camp last offseason and was expected to surpass Brennan Eagles on the depth chart prior to suffering a season-ending knee injury. It’s more than ok to be excited about the possibilities with Omiere.

Kelvontay Dixon, WR

Kelvontay Dixon can best be described in one word — speed. He was a Texas high school track and field athlete who competed for state. As a football player, he’s reminiscent of Jaylen Waddle, a speed demon who Steve Sarkisian helped propel to immense success. As we all know, Sarkisian values speed.

Dixon likely will have to start off as the fifth wide receiver on the depth chart, but expect him to be used as the teams top deep threat and even on special teams as a returner. Just don’t be surprised if you see fire coming out from under his feet.

Vernon Broughton, DL

Vernon Broughton was one of the team’s top high school recruits to come in last season. However, after only appearing in three games last year,  Broughton is going to have higher expectations heading into year two.

Whether or not he starts still remains to be seen, but even in rotation he will be needed for the Longhorns defense that’s going to be without Joseph Ossai. Broughton could be in good position to help fill the voids left behind from Ossai and Ta’quon Graham.

Alfred Collins, DL

If there’s any underclassmen on the defensive side that has high expectations, it’s Alfred Collins. As a physical force that can rotate from the nose to the 3-technique tackle positions, Collins made the most of his limited time on the field as a true freshman with 18 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and a pair of passes broken up. There should be more output with Collins as a virtual lock as a starter this season.

Collins could end up being the best player on this list by the end of next season. He, like Bijan Robinson, made the most of his limited time as a full-time player and has the potential to become a member of the All-Big 12 team.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-longhorns-football-underclassmen-2021-bijan-robinson-andrej-karic/

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Expect him to still split time with Johnson, but don’t be surprised if Robinson usurps Johnson as the primary back under Sarkisian.

Big if true. Wonder what source Shane Carter used to get this info that Bijan just might be our primary back. 

5 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

IT guys keep hinting at Adimora changing positions from nickel. I assumed safety(and still do), but hell he might have more of a LB build than Overshown

I think IT specifically said that his best position in this defense was actually LB. Agree, sure seems like that's the direction his body is taking. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

IT guys keep hinting at Adimora changing positions from nickel. I assumed safety(and still do), but hell he might have more of a LB build than Overshown

Valid point -- not sure of Adimora's speed/quickness and if it fits being a safety -- might be an interesting switch to LB ???

Edited by LTtxfan

Sark getting paid........

Texas football: Steve Sarkisian's unprecedented contract features some incredible perks (msn.com)

The Texas Longhorns fired Tom Herman and ushered in a new era after hiring former Alabama Crimson Tide offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian as their new head coach. A season and national championship run with the Tide was all it took to rehabilitate Sarkisian's image after his stints with the Atlanta Falcons and USC Trojans didn't go so well.

The Longhorns got their man in Sarkisian but at what cost? Details of Sarkisian's unprecedented contract are emerging and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of commas.

Details regarding Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian's contract

According to the Texas Tribune, Sarkisian's guaranteed compensation will be approved by the UT Board of Regents later this week and it's unlike anything the program has ever seen. Sarkisian's contract is reportedly worth at least $5 million more than Herman's contract and $10 more than Charlie Strong.

The six-year contract worth almost at least almost $35 million. Sarkisian will make $5.2 million in his first season and is guaranteed a $200,000 raise each year. His contract also includes two dealership cars, 20 hours of private airplane use per year and a $250,000 relocation and temporary housing allowance.

If that wasn't enough, he'll also be the recipient of a one-time payment of $1.2 million if he is still head coach on Dec. 31, 2024. All funds will come from Texas Athletics, whose budget includes revenue from multiple sources including licensing, broadcasting rights, ticket sales, and donors.

Talk about a payday.

Hopefully, the funds and perks provided to Sarkisian will result in wins for the Texas football program in the near future. They certainly have a ton of questions to answer heading into the spring and as details of this contract emerge, the expectations are sure to be grand.

57 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Sark getting paid........

Texas football: Steve Sarkisian's unprecedented contract features some incredible perks (msn.com)

The Texas Longhorns fired Tom Herman and ushered in a new era after hiring former Alabama Crimson Tide offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian as their new head coach. A season and national championship run with the Tide was all it took to rehabilitate Sarkisian's image after his stints with the Atlanta Falcons and USC Trojans didn't go so well.

The Longhorns got their man in Sarkisian but at what cost? Details of Sarkisian's unprecedented contract are emerging and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of commas.

Details regarding Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian's contract

According to the Texas Tribune, Sarkisian's guaranteed compensation will be approved by the UT Board of Regents later this week and it's unlike anything the program has ever seen. Sarkisian's contract is reportedly worth at least $5 million more than Herman's contract and $10 more than Charlie Strong.

The six-year contract worth almost at least almost $35 million. Sarkisian will make $5.2 million in his first season and is guaranteed a $200,000 raise each year. His contract also includes two dealership cars, 20 hours of private airplane use per year and a $250,000 relocation and temporary housing allowance.

If that wasn't enough, he'll also be the recipient of a one-time payment of $1.2 million if he is still head coach on Dec. 31, 2024. All funds will come from Texas Athletics, whose budget includes revenue from multiple sources including licensing, broadcasting rights, ticket sales, and donors.

Talk about a payday.

Hopefully, the funds and perks provided to Sarkisian will result in wins for the Texas football program in the near future. They certainly have a ton of questions to answer heading into the spring and as details of this contract emerge, the expectations are sure to be grand.

None of this is significant "news." And it is all much less than the Urban Meyer rumors (not that I believe there was ever any fact to those numbers).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

None of this is significant "news." And it is all much less than the Urban Meyer rumors (not that I believe there was ever any fact to those numbers).

Yeah that article was written like author was an aggy or gooner... Sark's contract is not some ridiculous amount like what was rumored for Urban as coach at TEXAS.  

Sark's Base Deal

• 2021 - $5.2 million
  • 2022 - $5.4 million
  • 2023 - $5.6 million
  • 2024 - $5.8 million
  • 2025 - $6 million
  • 2026 - $6.2 million

(Tom Herman's compensation:  $6 million in 2020; $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023.)

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Definitely not news on the money but I admire a man who requires the Perks that are in his contract....unless he ends up being like Herman than he can GTFO. 

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Surly ballers, which I assume is err’body, what am I looking at here? I’m guessing that’s not “ the big Kia.”

Not sure what car it is. Could be a Kia. I would bet it’s a dealer car from one of the dealerships that sponsors Texas Football. In other words: FREE. 

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Surly ballers, which I assume is err’body, what am I looking at here? I’m guessing that’s not “ the big Kia.”

Looks like a Bentley if I am seeing the logo on the wheels correctly. Around $200K, but I hear Banks talked them down to $25K

• Haha 2

At first glance I thought the logo on the hood was a Bentley, and I was about to seriously question whether Banks was dependent on the bag for recruiting.  But upon closer inspection it appears like it might be a Hyundai Genesis, in which case I would think he’s a genius.  

I think you are right about the Genesis. I have a lot of respect for that (vs Bentley). Probably a very nice car and no reason to piss away money like it’s growing on trees.

Let’s be real, a young guy in his exact situation who makes rain as a recruiter might have things in his closet that could affect his employment in the future. Kudos to him for living sensibly. I realize we are talking about a high worth individual who married a stripper with a pet monkey.
  • Hook 'Em 1