2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

This morning, new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian held a Zoom call where all former Texas football lettermen were invited.

I’ve received some immediate feedback from the meeting.

A couple of notes:

- when asked about players opting out, Sark replied, “let’s call it what it is - quitting.”

- spent some time discussing the importance of all three phases of the game. Feels like Texas has to win on offense, defense and special teams.

- relayed that he felt like former Texas QB Major Applewhite, who was an analyst at Alabama this year, would spend at least one season as offensive coordinator at South Alabama.

- said he has to develop players once they get to campus but that process actually starts by explaining to those same players that star ratings and rankings no longer matter at the college level. Each player starts fresh when they get to college.

- went on to explain that his feeling is team’s need to try to be one unit, not a collection of individuals.

We should have more about this call in the next 24 hours as we speak to more of its participants.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

are you kidding?  he had a fake punt play where his back up punter had a receiver progression.  you don't do that unless you know how to coach special teams.

He also had no sense of how to manage risk, which accounts for that call itself and all the other stupid decisions that cost himself games.  I mean if he just fucking kicks a field goal in that game he’s probably still here, despite everyone saying he was gone after OU.   Or if he just does the simple calculation that he has a better chance to beat OU with one 2 point try versus full up match play against Lincoln Riley. 

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He also had no sense of how to manage risk, which accounts for that call itself and all the other stupid decisions that cost himself games.  I mean if he just fucking kicks a field goal in that game he’s probably still here, despite everyone saying he was gone after OU.   Or if he just does the simple calculation that he has a better chance to beat OU with one 2 point try versus full up match play against Lincoln Riley. 

yep.  I think he was gone because of off the field stuff but you are correct that it would have been very hard to fire him if he makes the big 12 champ game.  the pic of CDC smiling after the ISU loss seems much clearer to me now.

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

went on to explain that his feeling is team’s need to try to be one unit, not a collection of individuals.

So Tuesday he tells Craig Way the one thing about the team that caught his attention was the cohesion amongst the team. Can't be good if 2 days later he saying this...

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

man i miss college.

Me too, man. So much so, I'm going back this fall 🤘

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

23 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

So Tuesday he tells Craig Way the one thing about the team that caught his attention was the cohesion amongst the team. Can't be good if 2 days later he saying this...

He's saying that teams generally need to be one unit,  not that UT's isn't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I never left. 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ingram regressed so hard this year, it was really shocking. Went from 134 yards, two scores, and 8.3 ypc against Utah in 2019 to fumbling his way to the bench four games into 2020.

Wish I knew what happened. Looking at the Alamo Bowl highlights now, he looks like a completely different player.