2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

Epps certainly looks the part (like a TE at least). I'm not sure if a new coaching staff can make a non-physical player play physical but if this staff gets anything from him it's found money. I trust Sark won't be stubborn enough to put him on the field just because "tall".

Owens is a linebacker and it would be great to convince him of that.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, ousux said:

How long has it been since we had a true QB competition..without an incumbent starter?

Wow, I hadn't really thought of this...I think 2006 (Colt vs. Snead) was the last time we had a qb competition between two guys with no starting experience?

2010 we didn't return anyone who had started but there was no competition. 

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Hmm. I guess the 3 grad transfer pass rushers were the writing on the wall but I had hopes he could contribute in this defense. 

And he just had several shots of him in the latest offseason video.  Like you, I figured he would contribute some this year, at least be 2nd team and rotate in.  Guessing USC bound or stays close to home at a UH or something.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Burton

Hide contents

In addition to the news of Marqez Bimage entering the portal, Inside Texas has learned that linebacker Juwan Mitchell is currently not participating in team activities.

I’m told Mitchell needs to do some work in the classroom to return.

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Burton

Hide contents

In addition to the news of Marqez Bimage entering the portal, Inside Texas has learned that linebacker Juwan Mitchell is currently not participating in team activities.

Let's see who can seize this opportunity out of Ford, Gbenda, or Tillman.  

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Burton

Hide contents

JFC. Can we just cut him already? He was a JAG when we signed him and that was before we knew he was a total malcontent and headcase. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And he just had several shots of him in the latest offseason video.  Like you, I figured he would contribute some this year, at least be 2nd team and rotate in.  Guessing USC bound or stays close to home at a UH or something.

Being reported Bimage headed to Cal...

Not sure losing him is as big of a deal as some might think.

Glad waiting to start practices March 23rd...

NSIAP

Steve Sarkisian lays out details for Texas spring practice, spring game

The first spring practices for Texas under head coach Steve Sarkisian will begin on March 23. Sarkisian laid out the reasons on Wednesday as he conducted his first National Signing Day press conference on the Forty Acres why he chose to push things “a pretty fair amount back” with the Longhorns not hitting the field after spring break.

“A, I wanted to give (director of football performance) Torre Becton and his staff enough time to work the offseason conditioning program with our players,” Sarkisian said. “B, I wanted to give us enough time to get to know our players and get in with them.”

Sarkisian’s practice structure shouldn’t feel new to Texas players who've been in the program for a while since it’s the same plan former head coach Tom Herman followed through his first three springs until the COVID-19 pandemic forced the Longhorns to forgo spring drills in 2020. The spring game was also a casualty of the pandemic last year, but Sarkisian said April 24 is a tentative date for the 2021 event to return to Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

“What that allowed us, pushing that all the way back to there, we can now go for five weeks,” Sarkisian said. “We can practice Tuesdays, Thursdays (and) Saturdays throughout spring practice so that we can really have a really good practice, we can have a day in between to assess that film, then come back and have another really good practice and so on and so forth.”

It’s way too early, Sarkisian said, to know whether fans will be allowed in the stadium for the spring game. With that said, Sarkisian wants his charges to be able to put on display one way or the other what they accomplish in the 15 on-field sessions the Longhorns will hopefully get to go through moving into summer conditioning and starting the drive in earnest toward preseason practice and the 2021 season opener with the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns — a program under the leadership of head coach Billy Napier that went 10-1 in 2020 and finished No. 15 in the Associated Press Top 25 — making the trip from Lafayette to Austin for the first game of the Sarkisian era on Sept. 4.

“At the end of the day, it's about us building our team,” Sarkisian said. “Developmental process in the weight room, a really good scheme implementation and developmental spring and then, hopefully, we can have a nice, kind of game there at the end where the fans can come and kind of see the product of where we're at on the progress we've made. If they don't allow us to do it, maybe we can air it or whatever that is just to give our guys a chance to kind of show the work that they've put in up to that point.”

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Burton

Reveal hidden contents

I’m honestly very surprised he hasn’t bolted already with the current influx of transfers.

Just now, texifornia said:

Not in high school anymore. Got larger, and it's another scheme to boot.

Also the two who are publically in the program/committed (Thornton and Oghoufo) are very much edge guys.

Ah very well. Either way, still surprised Mitchell hasn’t bolted though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

Burton

Hide contents

Hopefully we cut lose with this head case. 

IT team notes

Spoiler

By: Justin and Eric

*Freshman Troy Omeire, the buzz of camp last August, is running and lifting with the team, but he’s still limited. The hope is he’ll be fully cleared in time for spring ball, with the later start (March 23rd) working in his favor. At a bare minimum, he’ll be good to go for summer workouts and passing sessions but we suspect he’ll be activated for part of camp at least.

*Keeping in mind that a real depth chart hasn’t been issued, and it would still be meaningless if it existed, here’s how the OL looked this week during team sessions (left-to-right): Christian Jones-Denzel Okafor-Jake Majors-Junior Angilau-Andrej Karic. There are a million potential combinations with the abundant OL parts and the coaches will experiment with everything, e.g., Tope Imade at RT. Jaylen Garth is slotted to begin at LT with this staff. Derek Kerstetter will either be a RG or RT. There’s some hope Jones will flourish with good, consistent coaching. This was to be his year to take the next step; having Flood should help. Will he ultimately be better than Karic? There’s no way to know, but that would be a very good sign.

*The defensive line, including OLB’s, is: X Ray Thornton, DT Moro Ojomo, NT Keondre Coburn, Jack Jacoby Jones. Some notes, here: Jones is proving to be a worker in the weight room and with Pete Kwiatkowski getting a lot out of that position there are some thoughts he has an NFL future. Thornton is also a worker who came in with a leader‘s mindset. Prince Dorbah is behind Thornton and weighs in the 235-240 range. By no means is he chopped liver, but Ojomo is just in place of Alfred Collins who is nursing something minor. T’Vondre Sweat is still rehabbing his shoulder but is out there with the ”twos” behind Coburn.

*With Juwan Mitchell focusing on academics, his ILB job is even more open than it would have been otherwise. DeMarvion Overshown, Jaylan Ford, and David Gbenda are all rotating with the ones. Gbenda and Ford are frequently out there together flip-flopping between Mike and Will. Overshown mainly sticks to his Will position.

*Corners are Josh Thompson and D’shawn Jamison, with Darion Dunn rotating. It’s possible one of these guys becomes the nickel, but...

*Chris Adimora is still the nickel. He’s moving really well for his size.

*Safeties are rotating so much we’re not sure what’s what.

*Ditto on WR’s. For Monday we’ll try to get more detail on the skill guys. We know they’re liking the speed of Kelvontay Dixon. But we also know they intend to throw the ball to Bijan a ton because he’s a playmaker as a receiving threat. There’s a chance this WR group surprises to the upside, though, especially from the slot. The staff does feel like they can create some mismatches.

*Early returns on early enrollees:

- Juan Davis is adding muscle. He came in looking like a muscled up WR, now he’s starting to look like a TE. He’s only around 6-2 and some change, though.
- Take it with a grain of salt because it’s early, but they’re liking the way Gunner Helm moves for his size. He’s all of 6-foot-5, with some lower body strength, too.
- Derrick Harris Jr moved to X-backer. They had him at Mike but that obviously was never going to work. With Bimage leaving it just expedited the inevitable move to his proper position. He’s still rehabbing his knee but also putting on muscle.
- Terrence Cooks is mature beyond his years, looks like a future Mike.
- Jamier Johnson arrived a little out of shape. He didn't get a senior season so it's been over a year since he's seen action. Being an early enrollee was big for him
- JD Coffey is active, energetic, and eager to work and learn.

• Hook 'Em 9