2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

16 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Sark's first Texas football squad, 2021 is going to be good.  No Maryland in sight.  Win a couple, beat OU, then show me a loss.  Koolaid like a MF.

You think that matters when we have no brakes?

24 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Sark's first Texas football squad, 2021 is going to be good.  No Maryland in sight.  Win a couple, beat OU, then show me a loss.  Koolaid like a MF.

The Ragin’ Cajuns would likely boat race a Tom Herman Texas team in the opener. 

22 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Did I miss something on Christian Jones? I really thought he struggled on the right side and now they're moving him over to start at LT? I don't see it but maybe having competent coaching will make the difference. He just looked lost so many times last season. 

He's super athletic and pretty new to football, so it's far from wild to think he's on a pretty steep developmental curve.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

By: Justin and Eric

*Freshman Troy Omeire, the buzz of camp last August, is running and lifting with the team, but he’s still limited. The hope is he’ll be fully cleared in time for spring ball, with the later start (March 23rd) working in his favor. At a bare minimum, he’ll be good to go for summer workouts and passing sessions but we suspect he’ll be activated for part of camp at least.

*Keeping in mind that a real depth chart hasn’t been issued, and it would still be meaningless if it existed, here’s how the OL looked this week during team sessions (left-to-right): Christian Jones-Denzel Okafor-Jake Majors-Junior Angilau-Andrej Karic. There are a million potential combinations with the abundant OL parts and the coaches will experiment with everything, e.g., Tope Imade at RT. Jaylen Garth is slotted to begin at LT with this staff. Derek Kerstetter will either be a RG or RT. There’s some hope Jones will flourish with good, consistent coaching. This was to be his year to take the next step; having Flood should help. Will he ultimately be better than Karic? There’s no way to know, but that would be a very good sign.

*The defensive line, including OLB’s, is: X Ray Thornton, DT Moro Ojomo, NT Keondre Coburn, Jack Jacoby Jones. Some notes, here: Jones is proving to be a worker in the weight room and with Pete Kwiatkowski getting a lot out of that position there are some thoughts he has an NFL future. Thornton is also a worker who came in with a leader‘s mindset. Prince Dorbah is behind Thornton and weighs in the 235-240 range. By no means is he chopped liver, but Ojomo is just in place of Alfred Collins who is nursing something minor. T’Vondre Sweat is still rehabbing his shoulder but is out there with the ”twos” behind Coburn.

*With Juwan Mitchell focusing on academics, his ILB job is even more open than it would have been otherwise. DeMarvion Overshown, Jaylan Ford, and David Gbenda are all rotating with the ones. Gbenda and Ford are frequently out there together flip-flopping between Mike and Will. Overshown mainly sticks to his Will position.

*Corners are Josh Thompson and D’shawn Jamison, with Darion Dunn rotating. It’s possible one of these guys becomes the nickel, but...

*Chris Adimora is still the nickel. He’s moving really well for his size.

*Safeties are rotating so much we’re not sure what’s what.

*Ditto on WR’s. For Monday we’ll try to get more detail on the skill guys. We know they’re liking the speed of Kelvontay Dixon. But we also know they intend to throw the ball to Bijan a ton because he’s a playmaker as a receiving threat. There’s a chance this WR group surprises to the upside, though, especially from the slot. The staff does feel like they can create some mismatches.

*Early returns on early enrollees:

- Juan Davis is adding muscle. He came in looking like a muscled up WR, now he’s starting to look like a TE. He’s only around 6-2 and some change, though.
- Take it with a grain of salt because it’s early, but they’re liking the way Gunner Helm moves for his size. He’s all of 6-foot-5, with some lower body strength, too.
- Derrick Harris Jr moved to X-backer. They had him at Mike but that obviously was never going to work. With Bimage leaving it just expedited the inevitable move to his proper position. He’s still rehabbing his knee but also putting on muscle.
- Terrence Cooks is mature beyond his years, looks like a future Mike.
- Jamier Johnson arrived a little out of shape. He didn't get a senior season so it's been over a year since he's seen action. Being an early enrollee was big for him
- JD Coffey is active, energetic, and eager to work and learn.

Odd that they would flip the guards and tackles from the side they've played on before. Jones at LT is scary with how much of a turnstyle he was in pass pro

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  He actually looked better run blocking at the point of attack last year and struggled moving his feet to get to the next level or keep up with edge rushers 1 on 1.  There were some games when we were begging to leave a TE on his side to help him not get left in the dust by the DE.  He didn’t look especially quick or agile at all, which was also a surprise to me given the $9.95 reports that made him sound like he had the mobility of an NBA power forward.  

I was thinking maybe Jones should move to guard this year rather than LT.  If Kerstetter is recovered by the start of the season, I like Kerstetter at RT a lot more than inside based on his play at center last year.   And if they don’t like Karic at the other tackle, I don’t know that Jones is the answer.  Hookfin has virtually no tape from last year, but I have a feeling he’s the growth project with tackle athleticism. The fact that our last staff had him at guard means nothing to me given their other personnel choices over the years.

But other than that, we are in good shape on the offensive line.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

But other than that, we are in good shape on the offensive line.

We’re really not in too bad of shape. Kerstetter and Karic are both at least capable at Tackle and Majors looked good at Center. Then We have at least 6 guys with 3+ years experience battling for the two starting guard spots and providing depth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We’re really not in too bad of shape. Kerstetter and Karic are both at least capable at Tackle and Majors looked good at Center. Then We have at least 6 guys with 3+ years experience battling for the two starting guard spots and providing depth. 

And to top it all off we have a very competent coach who can actually do something with them for once. 

3 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

And to top it all off we have a very competent coach who can actually do something with them for once. 

This is the best the line has looked from a depth perspective in 10 years at least.  

while not elite talent we have a bunch of serviceable guys who could take a huge step forward with the good coaching they will finally get. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

That’s the hope. Just getting our best 5 on the field in the right spots would be a massive improvement from last year. 

4 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

I’m surprised we’re still not hearing much about Tyler Johnson. Was he that overrated?

It’s hard to say if a guy’s overrated or was just obscured by bad coaching the last two years. I think you kind of have to give everyone a blank slate because Herman/Hand were so bad. He looked decent in the bowl game and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a starter at Guard by the end of the season. It’s doubtful he has the feet for Tackle. 

If I had to guess, I’d say Hookfin’s the most likely guy to emerge as a good player for us this year. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s the hope. Just getting our best 5 on the field in the right spots would be a massive improvement from last year. 

It’s hard to say if a guy’s overrated or was just obscured by bad coaching the last two years. I think you kind of have to give everyone a blank slate because Herman/Hand were so bad. He looked decent in the bowl game and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a starter at Guard by the end of the season. It’s doubtful he has the feet for Tackle. 

If I had to guess, I’d say Hookfin’s the most likely guy to emerge as a good player for us this year. 

i thought Hookfins gone

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What's depth behind Majors at center look like??

(Really hope we have someone else besides Kerstetter to back up Majors at center.)

Rafiti. Can’t snap the ball to save his life, but how important is that really???

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, futureman said:
absolutely. 

Which part, Rafiti cant snap the ball (which we all know) or the part about it not being important?

Snapping the football can be easily corrected with snaps. Playing center entails a lot more than that though. 

Guess so, I was a reciever/safety in HS, no idea how hard playing center is, but seems very important to reliably get the ball to the QB every time. Without that the play is dead before it begins..and usually leads to very bad things happening.

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Guess so, I was a reciever/safety in HS, no idea how hard playing center is, but seems very important to reliably get the ball to the QB every time. Without that the play is dead before it begins..and usually leads to very bad things happening.

After all of the years I have watched football, I never realized until now how important the center is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2