2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

31 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Maybe being loaded with 5 stars who were developed under Saban had more to do with making Sark appear to be one of the best OC’s than revolutionizing his offense using RPO’s.

Last time Sark inherited just above average talent, he was fired in the NFL and did OK at Washington and USC.

He should be OK and hired a better staff than we’ve had maybe ever, but let’s wait and see what he can do with Kai Money and Cade Brewer before sucking each other’s dick.

I’ve read your comments in this thread, and it’s clear you don’t know what you’re talking about when it comes to our roster and now coaching, especially if you think Kai Money or Cade Brewer are the primary pieces he’ll be using. 

Sark has been regarded as one of the better offensive minds in football for two decades now. He had trouble at USC and UW because of off field problems. Atlanta was 9th in the league in offensive DVOA both years he was the OC while dealing with a team coming off a crushing SB loss and a bad HC who was losing control of the team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Did 55M, 55M hurdles, 60M hurdles and long jump his final year at McNeese.

Right.   Those are short races as well, and the long jump is an explosive event.   He was considered a sleeper in the draft this year because his measurables would be incredible.  Him being slow is difficult to believe, unless they are implying he is slow in something other than athletic ability.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve read your comments in this thread, and it’s clear you don’t know what you’re talking about when it comes to our roster and now coaching, especially if you think Kai Money or Cade Brewer are the primary pieces he’ll be using. 

Sark has been regarded as one of the better offensive minds in football for two decades now. He had trouble at USC and UW because of off field problems. Atlanta was 9th in the league in offensive DVOA both years he was the OC while dealing with a team coming off a crushing SB loss and a bad HC who was losing control of the team. 

I don't get the "he was bad at UW" argument

He took a team that went a combined 12-47 in the five years prior, capped by an 0-12 season right before he took over, then goes 35-27 in the five years after while restocking the cupboard.  Four bowl games, and 9-4 record to cap things off before the keys got turned over to Petersen

5 minutes ago, Tracer Bullet said:

I don't get the "he was bad at UW" argument

He took a team that went a combined 12-47 in the five years prior, capped by an 0-12 season right before he took over, then goes 35-27 in the five years after while restocking the cupboard.  Four bowl games, and 9-4 record to cap things off before the keys got turned over to Petersen

I never said he was bad. His time at UW was a mixed bag. He recruited extremely well, turned the roster around and got them to competent quickly. The downside was he had 5 years there and went 7-6 3 years in a row and then 8-4 the last year. He was struggling to get over the hump from solid to actually good and wasn’t really showing signs of figuring it out. Granted, if some of the stories about his alcoholism there are true, then that’s certainly a major factor in his performance there. 

4 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

ya know?.....reading your posts about our offensive game plans and then the defensive game plans, the game seems so simple I dont see how we can EVER lose! I just got off the phone from Amazon where I ordered $10,000.00 worth of Orange Kool Aide! It will be here next week and I expect to be so drunk off of it that I might miss the first half of the season. Chug-a-lug!.....thanks ...Corps.....

4 hours ago, Snacks said:

Football is actually pretty simple.

It's been difficult for us because we havent had LBs or pass rush for college ball and we play in a league where both of those need to be above average or one has to be elite.

Even Herman's crazy over-reliance on QB smash wasnt the total downfall... (But Damn if he didn't try...)

Offense is simple: find the best matchup.

VY, Cam, Tebow.... ain't walking through that door, so get athletes that can win and get a QB that can get them the ball. The best athlete on offense is usually a RB. Get him the ball unless the defense is giving you the touchdown play.

Exactly football is simple. 

Kai Money was our leading receiver in the Spring game, Cade is now, what 5th year starter? I used these contributors to demonstrate the massive difference between UT and Bama’s talent level. And its kinda funny.

In Atlanta. their offense went from 33 ppg under Shanahan to 22ppg under Sark. They slightly increased the next year before he got fired. it’s clear you dont recall how his stint there played out.

He has a 46-35 head coaching record. Sark is highly regarded and he seems like he has his shit together. I’m just amazed at the high expectations and transposing what we did with players at Bama with the players at Texas, including brand new QB’s.

Like Big12 defenses are going to mystified when a 1st year QB throws RPOs behind 3 new starters on the oline to Marcus Washington.

Things can and should get better. But people creaming over Sark because he maximized Bama’s experience and talent is vexing. Like he’s being set up to fail when it takes most of the season to start to click.

I have higher expectations in Year 2.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

This is hilariously irrelevant. Is this your first year following spring football?

Not to mention his forecasting that Marcus Washington would be a starter or playing in the a slot to be a primary receiver off RPO. 

• Haha 2

Kai Money was our leading receiver in the Spring game,

behind 3 new starters on the oline

to Marcus Washington.

Thanks for proving my point that you have no idea what you’re talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Can surly lawyers tell us the level of severity of this kind of charge? It sounds serious. 

I am a lawyer and not relying on my legal judgment that much, but I personally know someone (friend from elementary who went the wrong way in life) charged on the exact same charge doing 6 years. Of course facts may be different and all of that, but it just goes to show its a severe charge. I’d handicap him making it to Austin at 0% if it turns out to be true. 

Edited by BBQHorn
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

He has a 46-35 head coaching record.

I mean it's a little misleading considering what he took over at Washington.

image.png.cdae309b0e14595e87d885e9ddea63d6.png

Before being hired by LSU Saban was 43-26-1. Only a few coaches have won everywhere prior to getting their first big gig.

I think as far as his HC career goes because it was cut short due to his alcoholism you can only grade him as incomplete. 

I do like that we went out and hired a coordinator, while he does have HC experience, it's just not something Texas has done very often and I think in the past that has hurt us in hiring because we thought we had to hire a HC and not the best coach. Overall this is the best staff we've had since early 00s and if the player development improves just half of what it is with the talent we have on campus then we will be good. We have to exceed that "half" and 100% improve development of our guys. We need to be continually putting guys in the first couple of rounds. I'm not saying we need to have 4-5 first rounders every year but 1-2 guys who will be drafted in the first is a start.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Thanks for proving my point that you have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Is Joshua Moore’s 30 catches that much better than Washington? He disappeared in long stretches. Moore has much to prove. As does our #2, Troy Omeire coming off ACL surgery set to play college football for the first time ever.

And Kai Money was getting significant time in the Spring game. Not just with the scrubs. He looked like our best slot receiver. Or maybe thats Jordan Whittington, who looks Ok.

And our oline may have 3 new starters, as we shuffle around people. We return exactly zero All-Big 12 linemen, unless you count honorable mention Kerstetter who may reclaim a spot after a catastrophic leg injury.

And we bring in a QB with 50 snaps under his belt and another one with a dozen or so. All in a new, more complicated system.

What are we really debating here? My point is that Sark has had the success we desire when he’s had clearly superior players. I’m also claiming our talent is mostly unproven and not close to what Sark had last year in Bama. Is that even indisputable?
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Is Joshua Moore’s 30 catches that much better than Washington? He disappeared in long stretches. Moore has much to prove. As does our #2, Troy Omeire coming off ACL surgery set to play college football for the first time ever.

And Kai Money was getting significant time in the Spring game. Not just with the scrubs. He looked like our best slot receiver. Or maybe thats Jordan Whittington, who looks Ok.

And our oline may have 3 new starters, as we shuffle around people. We return exactly zero All-Big 12 linemen, unless you count honorable mention Kerstetter who may reclaim a spot after a catastrophic leg injury.

And we bring in a QB with 50 snaps under his belt and another one with a dozen or so. All in a new, more complicated system.

What are we really debating here? My point is that Sark has had the success we desire when he’s had clearly superior players. I’m also claiming our talent is mostly unproven and not close to what Sark had last year in Bama. Is that even indisputable?

Moore just has to work on consistency. Also it's hard to judge past performance due to Herman and his tendency every fucking game to go away from what works for long stretches as well. I'd say don't let past performance of starters dictate future performance with this staff. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the offensive line, the progression of Christian Jones from fall to spring out front should have told ya. The offensive line is the one group that hasn't had coaching since 2016....

QB is going to be the least of my concerns with the offense because they won't be asked to play hero ball in this offense. We have a coach with a 15+ year track record of developing QB's as well.

IT on Lee (he gone)

Spoiler

Edit, Tuesday at 8:40 a.m.: IT has learned Keithron Lee is no longer a part of the team, in fact, he’s apart from the team. In his short time in Austin he was already proving to be a nuisance. He arrived in Austin with this reputation and was generally a weak mental evaluation. Much of this didn’t come to IT’s attention until later in the spring after he signed.

17 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Love Sark’s offense but am surprised he is so against running the QB with designed plays. That is a huge advantage that the offense can use to exploit any defensive alignment.

It doesn’t have to be Tom Herman “Hey let’s do nothing but use our QB as a battering ram until we’re down to our third string QB”, but just use it periodically to force the defense to account for the QB run. 

sun-tzu-quotes-art-of-war-posters11.jpg

• Like 1

I remember I showed up after a hiatus to a private board during Strong’s reign of incompetence to say that he completely buttfucked the recruitment of Sonny Cumbie in ways that are hard to believe. Dipshits like that fucking felon TOR began wailing and gnashing their teeth and accusing me of being a lying racist. Then Eskimohorn showed up to demand that I be banned from the board that he didn’t own or control. And then Texas had to get its fucking president and AD on a private jet to save the recruitment of Tulsa’s esteemed offensive coordinator. 

But I digress. All I meant to say is that Eskimohorn has been an irrelevant, repugnant fucktard on the Texas boards for years. He appears to participate only to serve as a cautionary tale for what posting in a football forum looks like when you don’t know a fucking thing about football. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

But I digress. All I meant to say is that Eskimohorn has been an irrelevant, repugnant fucktard on the Texas boards for years. He appears to participate only to serve as a cautionary tale for what posting in a football forum looks like when you don’t know a fucking thing about football. 

But aside from that, what don't you like about him?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember I showed up after a hiatus to a private board during Strong’s reign of incompetence to say that he completely buttfucked the recruitment of Sonny Cumbie in ways that are hard to believe. Dipshits like that fucking felon TOR began wailing and gnashing their teeth and accusing me of being a lying racist. Then Eskimohorn showed up to demand that I be banned from the board that he didn’t own or control. And then Texas had to get its fucking president and AD on a private jet to save the recruitment of Tulsa’s esteemed offensive coordinator. 

Señor GIF - midget - Greatest GIFs Of All Time - Pronounced GIF or JIF? -  Cheezburger

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

In Atlanta. their offense went from 33 ppg under Shanahan to 22ppg under Sark. They slightly increased the next year before he got fired. it’s clear you dont recall how his stint there played out.

Maybe some of this has to do with Matt Ryan almost doubling his interception rate that year. A QB doesn't do that unless he's having a hard time processing the offense. Even still, the Falcons were the only 2016 NFC playoff team to make it to the 2017 playoffs. After a year with Sark, Ryan had one of the best years of his career.

Jesus, dude. Did you even bother to look for context clues or did you just read Sark's wiki?

I’m honored. CTJ believes Greg Davis got a bad rap for getting shut out by OU and that Sam Ehlinger was a retard, laughing with buddies when Sam got concussed against Okie Lite. His takes are usually in lock step with aggy about Texas players and coaches.

And now he believes that Tom Herman stockpiled talent so dominant that if Sark doesn’t immediately have success at Texas he should be fired.

CTJ uses terms like “I digress” and “rue the day”. Who talks like that?

He is the common denominator in a bunch of pointless feuds because he’s a common asshole.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I’m honored. CTJ believes Greg Davis got a bad rap for getting shut out by OU and that Sam Ehlinger was a retard, laughing with buddies when Sam got concussed against Okie Lite. His takes are usually in lock step with aggy about Texas players and coaches.

And now he believes that Tom Herman stockpiled talent so dominant that if Sark doesn’t immediately have success at Texas he should be fired.

CTJ uses terms like “I digress” and “rue the day”. Who talks like that?

He is the common denominator in a bunch of pointless feuds because he’s a common asshole.

Recruiting Class Rankings:

2020 - 8

2019 - 3

2018 - 3

2017  - 25

2016 - 6

That is the last 5 years of recruiting. We're the only program that is under-peforming with those kind of recruiting rankings.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

2020 - 8

2019 - 3

2018 - 3

2017  - 25

2016 - 6

That is the last 5 years of recruiting. We're the only program that is under-peforming with those kind of recruiting rankings.

How can we possibly succeed when all our recruiting classes are negative?

Doooooooooooomed…

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

2020 - 8

2019 - 3

2018 - 3

2017  - 25

2016 - 6

I think Georgia deserves at least a little bit of consideration here.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why?

Since the same time frame Georgia has:

Competed in CFB Playoff, winning their semi-final and played for a national championship

Played in 3/5 SEC championships

Played in multiple NY6 bowls

Because despite all of that, they still haven't beat Alabama and they still drop games they shouldn't (like 2019 South Carolina, 2018 LSU, 2017 Auburn). In terms of return on recruiting, they're probably a step above us and 2 steps behind Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Competed in CFB Playoff, winning their semi-final and played for a national championship

Played in 3/5 SEC championships

Played in multiple NY6 bowls

Except for winning a semi-final, all of that is attributable to Georgia playing in the shitty SEC East and being a beneficiary of ESPN hype and beating up on JUCOs.

Uga hiding from Bevo out front should have told you.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Wait. I missed something here. Somebody fill me in.

TOR wasn't just an asshole. He is also an asshole who disappeared. Rampant speculation has the cause of his disappearance as being somehow felonious, which would not surprise anyone, but as far as I know, it was never more than speculation.

17 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Except for winning a semi-final, all of that is attributable to Georgia playing in the shitty SEC East and being a beneficiary of ESPN hype and beating up on JUCOs.

Uga hiding from Bevo out front should have told you.

Just this year they played Notre Dame in their OOC and they've by and large they only had one wet fart game per year. Don't be obtuse, they're doing a lot better than us in recent history, Sugar Bowl aside.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just this year they played Notre Dame in their OOC and they've by and large they only had one wet fart game per year. Don't be obtuse, they're doing a lot better than us in recent history, Sugar Bowl aside.

And they only have to win the SEC East to play in their CCG. If we were in a division opposite OU, we might play in the CCG pretty regularly, too. 

23 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

TOR wasn't just an asshole. He is also an asshole who disappeared. Rampant speculation has the cause of his disappearance as being somehow felonious, which would not surprise anyone, but as far as I know, it was never more than speculation.

Well, the username gives an indication that you never want to see his browser history. Hell, he should have gotten 25 to life for rep fraud on Shaggy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

We have a whole thread about Georgia sucking - and they do.

The recruiting rankings oversell the talent on the Texas roster by a little bit given the attrition and departures those classes have already experienced. Some of the highest touted recruits in those classes will never set foot on the field for Texas - JQJ, DeGabirel Floyd, Bru McCoy, etc. Many of the best guys from that loaded 2018 class are already gone, one way or another.

That said, college football is so stacked at the top that outside of the top three or four rosters, it's really wide open. Remember, this team could have legitimately been an undefeated playoff team last year with a better game day coach. The Big 12 championship was two teams Texas had on the ropes but found innovative ways to lose. Texas had 2019 LSU beat if not for a goddamn zero blitz on third and 17. And in the Big 12, the only team at a comparable overall talent level to Texas is Oklahoma. Breaking in a new QB is always a wild card, but across the board Texas will generally have better talent to work with than eight of its nine conference opponents. So while Sark is not walking into a turnkey national title contender, there is enough to put together a CCG berth type of season.