2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

Never gets old. This is kin to the Chris Simms horizontal -1 yard pass to Roy Williams 

Shipley was basically unguardable in the slot, but when I watch old games of the good Roy, he’s clearly the best receiver in Texas history. He sometimes did house passes to the flat.

He was handicapped by conservative playcalling, QB controversies, and Vince Young growing pains.
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

The neo-Soviet architecture blends in well with the nondescript landscape.

Thank God for EERC but the rest of the engineering area looks like this at Texas. Was not great studying architectural engineering there. Larry Speck was right all along. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zeus said:

Thank God for EERC but the rest of the engineering area looks like this at Texas. Was not great studying architectural engineering there. Larry Speck was right all along. 

EERC is admittedly a good looking building but even the off-campus "hip" area with a Hopdoddy is like a Las Vegas version of Austin

Spoiler

RaggedCluelessBandicoot-size_restricted.

Edited by Eggo

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Shipley was basically unguardable in the slot, but when I watch old games of the good Roy, he’s clearly the best receiver in Texas history. He sometimes did house passes to the flat.

He was handicapped by conservative playcalling, QB controversies, and Vince Young growing pains.

I'll take the guy who showed up in big games vs the guy who padded stats outside of big games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, Barbacoa said:

8-4 with a good bowl win would be ok in my book, if we are looking like a much improved team at the end of the year. New staffs have growing pains and so do new QBs. 

This is pretty much where I’m at. I can give a fuck about the record tbh. I just wanna improve throughout the season and be ready to skull fuck in 2022

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'll take the guy who showed up in big games vs the guy who padded stats outside of big games. 

Shipley was on better teams for sure.  

Roy had some of his best games in "big" games.. Bowl game vs LSU, Bowl game vs Wash, Colorado, A&M, Arkansas..

Can't go wrong with either one.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:42 PM, ousux said:

Something tells me everyone who feels 8-4 is acceptable in July will feel differently in December..especially if that one extra loss was a very winnable game.

Having expectations based around W-L record has never worked for me.  It depends on how we win and how we lose. 2007 team won 10 games but we could’ve (and probably should’ve) easily lost like 6 games that season.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Um…my sentence advocated for Shipley over Williams. 

Yeah, that's how I read it.  Someone else can help me out, but one of the only big games that I can recall off the top of my head in which Roy showed up was the game at Nebraska in 2002.  Chris Simms was nails, but Roy also had a huge day.  Roy also had some nice stats against aggy in a couple games, but I'm not sure I'd call those big games given that aggy was on a downward slide at the time.

Jordan Shipley got to play his entire Texas career with the most accurate Texas QB of all time in Colt out of the slot in a spread O that created huge mismatches for him. Roy played on the outside with Simms and Chance Mock/Freshman VY while GDGD was still running his shitty pro style O.

If Roy had been on one of those VY teams running the ZR spread he would have put up ridiculous numbers.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Jordan Shipley got to play his entire Texas career with the most accurate Texas QB of all time in Colt out of the slot in a spread O that created huge mismatches for him. Roy played on the outside with Simms and Chance Mock/Freshman VY while GDGD was still running his shitty pro style O.

If Roy had been on one of those VY teams running the ZR spread he would have put up ridiculous numbers.

But he didn’t so moot point. Roy still disappeared in big games. Plus Jordan also contributed greatly on special teams. 

My fondest memories of Roy Williams are of him disappearing against OU and dropping critical passes. I don't have anything personal against him, that's just what stands out in my mind from that time period in general. He still was a great player and may have been the best athlete we've ever had at that position.

We've had far better football players at that position. I would take a Jordan Shipley, Quan Cosby, or even a properly used Devin Duvernay over him any day. 

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

My fondest memories of Roy Williams are of him disappearing against OU and dropping critical passes. I don't have anything personal against him, that's just what stands out in my mind from that time period in general. He still was a great player and may have been the best athlete we've ever had at that position.

We've had far better football players at that position. I would take a Jordan Shipley, Quan Cosby, or even a properly used Devin Duvernay over him any day. 

That LSU Bowl game 'though.....seriously, that was such a fun game and he played fantastic and I drank enough to sedate a fucking hippo.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

The entire team disappeared against OU in those games because our coaching staff didn't have them ready to play. I'm not sure how you can compare Roy to Shipley/Quan who got to play in a spread O with Colt against defenses that hadn't adjusted to that style yet. They were all phenomenal players at Texas, but Roy is easily the most talented WR we've had since I've been following Texas football.

Edited by elguapo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The entire team disappeared against OU in those games because our coaching staff didn't have them ready to play. I'm not sure how you can compare Roy to Shipley/Quan who got to play in a spread O with Colt against defenses that hadn't adjusted to that style yet. They were all phenomenal players at Texas, but Roy is easily the most talented WR we've had since I've been following Texas football.

That's exactly what I said in my previous statement. He was the best athlete we've ever had at that position.

And like I said before, I prefer superior football players over superior athletes. The WR position goes beyond pure athleticism and talent. 

That LSU Bowl game 'though.....seriously, that was such a fun game and he played fantastic and I drank enough to sedate a fucking hippo.

He had enough talent to have replicated the LSU game a dozen times in his career. Given better coaches, Roy would’ve been in the Heisman discussion.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

That's exactly what I said in my previous statement. He was the best athlete we've ever had at that position.

And like I said before, I prefer superior football players over superior athletes. The WR position goes beyond pure athleticism and talent. 

WR production is very dependent on scheme and QB. Roy didn't get to play in the WR friendly O that Shipley/Quan did and still put up better numbers than them over his career. I guess you could argue that since Shipley and Quan showed up in big games they are "superior football players", but I'd argue that had more to do with QB play and scheme.

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

He had enough talent to have replicated the LSU game a dozen times in his career. Given better coaches, Roy would’ve been in the Heisman discussion.

Yep.  It was criminal at times how he was overlooked and the offense unable to get him the ball.  Last I heard we was collaborating with BJ on a line of vodka.  

13 minutes ago, elguapo said:

WR production is very dependent on scheme and QB. Roy didn't get to play in the WR friendly O that Shipley/Quan did and still put up better numbers than them over his career. I guess you could argue that since Shipley and Quan showed up in big games they are "superior football players", but I'd argue that had more to do with QB play and scheme.

Think of the Tech game and the production Mike Williams had that fateful night.  That could/should of been Roy every other game.  

Just now, elguapo said:

You tend to fixate on the type of offense we ran at the time. Yes, it helped inflate Jordan Shipley's and Quan Cosby's stats, but that doesn't take away from their individual attributes and skills at the WR position. One could ague what Devin Duvernay did was nothing short of spectacular, despite playing for Herman and Mehringer. That's not the focus of the comparison.

We can rate Roy vs the three guys I mentioned and Roy would be a clear number one in almost all of the athleticism categories. He would also be in the bottom half in the skill and physicality/toughness category.

Athleticism:

Speed: Roy Williams (Duvernay is only .03 slower in the 40)

Agility: Roy Williams by far

Jump Height: Roy Williams by far

Spatial Awareness: toss up between RW and DD (can't find a quantifiable way to measure that)

Strength: Duvernay by a significant margin (Maybe Cosby, too. Couldn't find any of his lifts)

Football Skill and Toughness:

Catch Reliability: Duvernay/Shipley/Cosby over RW all day

Route Running: Shipley/Cosby over RW

Physicality: Duvernay/Cosby over RW easily

Blocking: no real statistics, based on the physicality, I prefer Duvernay/Cosby

I'm not trying to change you mind here and I would love to have Roy on our roster today. But if I had the choice of all four players compared above, I would not pick Roy first or second because I value football skills over pure talent.

6 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

You tend to fixate on the type of offense we ran at the time. Yes, it helped inflate Jordan Shipley's and Quan Cosby's stats, but that doesn't take away from their individual attributes and skills at the WR position. One could ague what Devin Duvernay did was nothing short of spectacular, despite playing for Herman and Mehringer. That's not the focus of the comparison.

We can rate Roy vs the three guys I mentioned and Roy would be a clear number one in almost all of the athleticism categories. He would also be in the bottom half in the skill and physicality/toughness category.

Athleticism:

Spatial Awareness: toss up between RW and DD (can't find a quantifiable way to measure that)

Strength: Duvernay by a significant margin (Maybe Cosby, too. Couldn't find any of his lifts)

I'm not trying to change you mind here and I would love to have Roy on our roster today. But if I had the choice of all four players compared above, I would not pick Roy first or second because I value football skills over pure talent.

The reason I fixate on the type of O each player operated in is because if Roy got to play in the WR friendly spread with Colt at QB then we wouldn't even be having this debate. I'm not sure how you came to your conclusions regarding route running/physicality/blocking but I strongly disagree.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The reason I fixate on the type of O each player operated in is because if Roy got to play in the WR friendly spread with Colt at QB then we wouldn't even be having this debate. I'm not sure how you came to your conclusions regarding route running/physicality/blocking but I strongly disagree.

Source for toughness/physicality: hightlight/lowlight reels on YouTube.

Agree to disagree.

Edited by USNALonghorn

24 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Athleticism:

What dafuq? Did I dream it in my head that Roy Williams dragged Okie Lite or somebody's entire defense into the endzone one time?

EDIT: lulz see @elguapo's clip above

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

Eric and Justin

We previously reported Ben Davis might miss a significant portion of camp. He broke a toe in multiple places from what we’ve heard but he’s ahead of schedule and might be available for the start of camp. He’s expected to be out of his walking boot in two weeks. Players report on August 5th and there’s a good chance he’ll at least be a partial participant.

Clearly this would be big news. Davis is a need on the field and he’s also a key member of the enforcement arm for new regime culture.

Head coach Steve Sarkisian may add more tomorrow at UT’s Big 12 media days.

As we’ve chronicled, Texas players are organizing workouts and 7 on 7 sessions multiple times a week. While nothing is official on depth chart, current rotations do provide a skeleton of what the chart currently looks like.

WR1: Marcus Washington, Jordan Whittington, Josh Moore
WR2: Troy Omeire, Xavier Worthy, Kelvontay Dixon

Right about….

NOW you‘re making the same observation we did. The WR2 group has more gamebreaking upside than WR1. It’ll be incumbent on Andre Coleman to get the most out of the WR2s ASAP as they represent more playmaking ability than the first group.

There will be some good August camp battles.

Texas should be able to throw ball all over the field with this group.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Athleticism:

from an athletic perspective Roy Williams was truly a freak (using combine info)

• slightly faster 40 yard (4.36 vs 4.39) vs Duverney
  • longer vertical jump (39.5 vs 35.5)
  • faster 3 cone (6.75 vs 7.13)
  • faster 20 yard shuttle (3.97 vs 4.2)

all while being taller and heavier than DD.

it's incredible.

• Hook 'Em 2

from an athletic perspective Roy Williams was truly a freak (using combine info)

• slightly faster 40 yard (4.36 vs 4.39) vs Duverney
  • longer vertical jump (39.5 vs 35.5)
  • faster 3 cone (6.75 vs 7.13)
  • faster 20 yard shuttle (3.97 vs 4.2)

all while being taller and heavier than DD.

it's incredible.

It is.

Duvernay was built more like a running back.

5-11 / 200lbs / 600+lb squat

Ran through defenders and arm tackles (Grant Delpit would know). His insane catch reliability really separated him from the rest. I'm not sure how he didn't even get an invite to the Biletnikoff finals. 

On 7/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, Fud said:

Odds of winning each game per ESPN's updated FPI

vs Louisiana: 89.1%

@ Arkansas: 70.6%

vs Rice: 98.0%

vs Tech: 83.5%

@ TCU: 57.7%

vs OU: 28.2%

vs OSU: 71.7%

@ Baylor: 73.3%

@ ISU: 42.7%

vs Kansas: 98.1%

@ WVU: 68.6%

vs KSU: 91.9%

I can get on board with this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

WR1: Marcus Washington, Jordan Whittington, Josh Moore.   WR2: Troy Omeire, Xavier Worthy, Kelvontay Dixon
Right about…. NOW you‘re making the same observation we did. The WR2 group has more gamebreaking upside than WR1. It’ll be incumbent on Andre Coleman to get the most out of the WR2s ASAP as they represent more playmaking ability than the first group.  There will be some good August camp battles.  Texas should be able to throw ball all over the field with this group.

I like having a bunch of speed and quickness early in camp for WR2 group -- hope the WR2's get a ton of reps against the 1's on defense.