Tiger Woods documentary on HBO

TonyTexas

First half of a Tiger Woods documentary aired on HBO last night. I highly recommend this fascinating look at maybe the most important sports figure in recent history. Not just a fluff piece but a real look at of how he became who he is, warts and all. Last night's segment takes you from child prodigy to peak Tiger. It looks like the second  half will begin by detailing his fall from grace. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you've not already read it, I also highly recommend taking the time to read this long piece from Wright Thompson on Tiger that was published a few years ago now, around the 10th anniversary of Earl's death.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

Put me in the camp that thinks the documentary was very well done...Tida referring to Phil as "hefty" made me legit laugh out loud.  I had forgotten what a smokeshow Elin really was...whew.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I think most knew that Earl was a drunk, a philanderer and the ultimate helicopter dad but I didn't realize that Tida as such a tiger mom. It is no wonder the Tiger had issues once he left the nest. 

Define "issues". 

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

How about serial adultery/sex addiction  and alcohol/ prescription drug abuse?

Which I'm guessing got gradually worse until they were ultimately publicized. I'm guessing the painkiller stuff wasn't an issue until '07 at the earliest when his run of injuries began.

I think it's hard to separate his fame from his upbringing when it comes to the uncouth parts of his career. Is it "no wonder" that he became the most famous golfer ever and one of the most recognizable athletes on the planet?

On 1/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, McCroskey said:

If you've not already read it, I also highly recommend taking the time to read this long piece from Wright Thompson on Tiger that was published a few years ago now, around the 10th anniversary of Earl's death.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

Put me in the camp that thinks the documentary was very well done...Tida referring to Phil as "hefty" made me legit laugh out loud.  I had forgotten what a smokeshow Elin really was...whew.  

Recorded Part 1 the other night. Looking forward to it. Think I saw somewhere that Tiger is not real happy with it, which makes me even more interested to see it. I didn't see a single second of the Jordan documentary series because I heard he basically wrote it himself.

I've come full circle on Tiger. Loved him when he was the new kid kicking everybody ass and then hearing stories about him from golf writer friends and seeing some the roboticism first-hand when he'd spin through for the Byron Nelson, I was turned off pretty bad. But that dude was humbled and seems to have come back a changed person, at least publicly. And, yes, Elin was positively stunning. One year at the Nelson, I was following Tiger and Elin was in the gallery wearing white yoga/stretch pants. Dear lord.

On 1/11/2021 at 5:07 PM, McCroskey said:

she single?

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've come full circle on Tiger. Loved him when he was the new kid kicking everybody ass and then hearing stories about him from golf writer friends and seeing some the roboticism first-hand when he'd spin through for the Byron Nelson, I was turned off pretty bad. But that dude was humbled and seems to have come back a changed person, at least publicly. 

Same.

30 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Recorded Part 1 the other night. Looking forward to it. Think I saw somewhere that Tiger is not real happy with it, which makes me even more interested to see it. I didn't see a single second of the Jordan documentary series because I heard he basically wrote it himself.

I've come full circle on Tiger. Loved him when he was the new kid kicking everybody ass and then hearing stories about him from golf writer friends and seeing some the roboticism first-hand when he'd spin through for the Byron Nelson, I was turned off pretty bad. But that dude was humbled and seems to have come back a changed person, at least publicly. And, yes, Elin was positively stunning. One year at the Nelson, I was following Tiger and Elin was in the gallery wearing white yoga/stretch pants. Dear lord.

you should, it's awesome. even if he did have final say in the edit they showed plenty of stuff that made him look bad.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think that sums up what everyone feels.  It's what made the Masters last year so great.

I was struck by Earl Woods giving golf lessons to women and then taking them back to the RV for some action.  Dude didn't exactly look like a player.

Ugly women like to fuck too.

And I never really cared about Tiger’s personal demons. I don’t really care what any professional athlete/public figure does as long as it isn’t illegal. Sure, I was shocked to see what he had done. Would I ever have done what he did? Tough to say really. With his upbringing and then to have the fame, fortune, and pressure that his success created it isn’t really that surprising that he had a few flaws. I always cheered for him because I wanted to see history. I wanted to see things I had never seen before. Most of Jack’s career occurred before I became golf aware. That stretch from 99-06 when Tiger was dominating was as fun to watch as any other sports team I’ve ever followed and I wanted it to continue for as long as it could.

• Hook 'Em 2

I felt bad for the old girlfriend, she was tossed aside, not good enough for Earl and Tida's grand plan.

Success comes with a price, Tiger is not exempt. Fascinating stuff really and i think it does a good job of just informing, without being judgmental or trying to sway opinions in any direction. 

49 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

I guess I’ve seen and read too much about Tiger, because none of that first part was revelatory at all

Yeah, I read the book this doc is based on and it’s essentially the book laid out with the same sources/stories. I enjoyed the book and this is pretty good. Hard to compare any sports documentary to The Last Dance but it’s hard not to, and it’s not even close to that in terms of quality.

Just watched it great episode. I’ve played golf at the navy course in seal beach every Saturday for years prior to covid. There’s a par 5 18 palm tree on the left that’s damn near 400 down the fairway that rumor has he drove pass that tree 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

I don’t get it. Jordan banged plenty of whores. Got a divorce. 

Tiger banged plenty of whores. Got a divorce. 

I think the difference is Tiger got caught red handed and claimed a weak ass sex addiction excuse. The public apologies over and over again didn’t help. At some point, you have to tell people to go f*** themselves. How many majors did he cost himself worrying about what other people thought about him? 

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to the 2019 Masters and will forever cherish that and take pride when folks ask about my kitschy 2019 Masters Hat or Polo when I invariably where it around the clubhouse and I casually say "oh yea, was there. saw Tiger chip in from 100 feet on the practice green on Wednesday and knew it was a sign. Oh, you've never been to one?"

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Hate said:

Every time I watch any kind of documentary about a celebrity fall from grace I'm reminded that paparazzi are the scum of the Earth.   

and then you remember paparazzi exist because you watch stuff about celebrities

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

and then you remember paparazzi exist because you watch stuff about celebrities

Paparazzi had nothing to do with that documentary, but I understand your larger point. I’ve never bought nor read one of the trash mags that are supported by the paparazzi. 

I think a few things separate Tiger and Jordan.  The aforementioned Internet Age being one.  Beyond that I don't remember Jordan arriving as the Messiah of basketball not only in terms of what he was going to do to the sport (it was a game still dominated by big men at that point and Jordan wasn't universally thought of as the "best player" in college) but also he wasn't being talked about in terms of "changing society"  (plenty of black guys kicking ass in basketball unlike golf)

On 1/12/2021 at 7:38 PM, htown85 said:

Hard to compare any sports documentary to The Last Dance but it’s hard not to, and it’s not even close to that in terms of quality.

I couldn't disagree more with this. The Last Dance was basically a Michael Jordan autobiography/self-fellatio. There were no deep dives into anything beyond surface level. It was a whitewashed Disney version of a very complex and dark person. The Tiger documentary was honest and fair and covered all sides. It was real. The Last Dance was not real. It was a blast and a great trip down nostalgia lane but it was fiction. It was what Michael Jordan wanted people to perceive Michael Jordan as.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2021 at 7:35 PM, Pam Cummings said:

I felt bad for the old girlfriend, she was tossed aside, not good enough for Earl and Tida's grand plan.

Success comes with a price, Tiger is not exempt. Fascinating stuff really and i think it does a good job of just informing, without being judgmental or trying to sway opinions in any direction. 

the break up letter was ridiculous.  they needed video of him blinking morse code while writing it.   I'm not sure it was the girl specifcally, they just didn't want him to get married and get her pregnant.

I went to the 2019 Masters and will forever cherish that and take pride when folks ask about my kitschy 2019 Masters Hat or Polo when I invariably where it around the clubhouse and I casually say "oh yea, was there. saw Tiger chip in from 100 feet on the practice green on Wednesday and knew it was a sign. Oh, you've never been to one?"

I was standing at the edge of the 15th green for all of the 1986 Masters.

{mike drop}
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2