Tiger Woods documentary on HBO

TonyTexas

On 1/18/2021 at 12:46 PM, 4th&Five said:

Was a bit disappointed by it and really didn’t learn anything new. 

I learaned that Jamie Jungers was rescued by Dog the Bounty Hunter in a Vegas opium den...

https://www.the-sun.com/news/253688/moment-tiger-woods-ex-jamie-jungers-is-rescued-by-dog-the-bounty-hunter-from-las-vegas-den-where-she-was-trading-sex-for-heroin/

Just finished this last night. Was really good, but yeah not a ton of new ground.

The only thing that I kind of left a bad taste in my mouth was the grandstanding by Bryant Gumble and the family friend guy (don't recall name) who were essentially stating that the public/fans were "looking for a reason" or "wanting" to "knock Tiger down" because.... black?  And then pissed because people cheered for him again when he got his shit together and won the Masters in 2019?

That was kind of a big WTF? for me. I mean, I don't follow golf super close, but I've been following the sports world, in general, for quite some time.

My recollection of how it all went down:

1. Tiger was easily the most popular golfer in the world. Almost universally everyone reveled in him winning at a crazy/ridiculous pace.

2. It was genuinely shocking when the shit about him banging whores came out and the Thanksgiving wreck thing happened.

3. People were still cheering/rooting for him pretty fervently when he won a few more times after that.

4. When he fucked up his back, got the DWI, etc., the sentiment was not, "yeah fuck that guy", it was  "fuck, this is a damn shame that the greatest golfer in the world fucked himself up in this way and hopefully he can come back."

I have no recollection of people *wanting* Tiger to fail or being glad that he did. It's not like you had half of the country rooting against him like people root against Duke or the Yankees or whatever. I know there are people who were "Phil" guys or whatever, but golf is different from team sports and I just don't like hoards of fans *wanting* Tiger to fail... if anything people were mostly wanting him to beat Jack's record so they could see history.

Am I wrong about my recollections? Again, I don't follow golf super close, but always pay attention to the majors and what not.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Just finished this last night. Was really good, but yeah not a ton of new ground.

The only thing that I kind of left a bad taste in my mouth was the grandstanding by Bryant Gumble and the family friend guy (don't recall name) who were essentially stating that the public/fans were "looking for a reason" or "wanting" to "knock Tiger down" because.... black?  And then pissed because people cheered for him again when he got his shit together and won the Masters in 2019?

That was kind of a big WTF? for me. I mean, I don't follow golf super close, but I've been following the sports world, in general, for quite some time.

1. Tiger was easily the most popular golfer in the world. Almost universally everyone reveled in him winning at a crazy/ridiculous pace.

2. It was genuinely shocking when the shit about him banging whores came out and the Thanksgiving wreck thing happened.

3. People were still cheering/rooting for him pretty fervently when he won a few more times after that.

4. When he fucked up his back, got the DWI, etc., the sentiment was not, "yeah fuck that guy", it was  "fuck, this is a damn shame that the greatest golfer in the world fucked himself up in this way and hopefully he can come back."

I have no recollection of people *wanting* Tiger to fail or being glad that he did. It's not like you had half of the country rooting against him like people root against Duke or the Yankees or whatever. I know there are people who were "Phil" guys or whatever, but golf is different from team sports and I just don't like hoards of fans *wanting* Tiger to fail... if anything people were mostly wanting him to beat Jack's record so they could see history.

Am I wrong about my recollections? Again, I don't follow golf super close, but always pay attention to the majors and what not.

I thought the same thing everytime they mentioned how people were wanting him to fail. Tiger always seemed like to me the ONE athlete that could fuck up in a huge way and all we wanted was for him to continue to be dominant.

2 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

I thought the same thing everytime they mentioned how people were wanting him to fail. Tiger always seemed like to me the ONE athlete that could fuck up in a huge way and all we wanted was for him to continue to be dominant.

Yeah it was just bizarre.

There *are* examples of that type of thing happening, I just didn't have any memory of it with Tiger.  He always seemed universally loved and my memory is that it was shocking when all of that stuff came out.

And even if it was the case, my thought was: DON'T BANG WHORES.  He brought it all on himself.  Furthermore, I thought it was interesting what that one "Madam" or whatever said.... basically that he would have gotten away with it if he would have just banged them and moved on... but he was actively communicating/having relationships with these women.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah, but Billy Payne and Augusta National can EABOD for pulling the whole scolding charade.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Yeah, but Billy Payne and Augusta National can EABOD for pulling the whole scolding charade.  

I completely agree with this. How many other members of Augusta National have cheated on their wife without getting a public scolding for it. I didn’t remember that had happened but it pissed me off when I saw it on the documentary.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, BradInATX said:

I couldn't disagree more with this. The Last Dance was basically a Michael Jordan autobiography/self-fellatio. There were no deep dives into anything beyond surface level. It was a whitewashed Disney version of a very complex and dark person. The Tiger documentary was honest and fair and covered all sides. It was real. The Last Dance was not real. It was a blast and a great trip down nostalgia lane but it was fiction. It was what Michael Jordan wanted people to perceive Michael Jordan as.

Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.pn

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, McCroskey said:

My favorite line was Armen Keteyian...and I know he practically ripped it off from David Duval.

“These young players want a piece of Tiger from his prime on a Sunday in a major.”

“The fuck you do.”

Lol.

Yeah, nobody wanted anything to do with peak Tiger on a Sunday in a major.  He just made dudes wilt.  That's like saying you want a piece of MJ in his prime.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

I thought Part 2 would be better. It was a snooze fest. 

Yeah, a little surprised they didn't tell the story about when Tiger went out to dinner with all those Seals he was training with after he had been with them for a couple weeks.  They went to some fancy restaurant, had a crazy expensive meal, and then Tiger only paid for himself.  What a douche.  

That story told me more about him than anything else I've read about him.  He's a piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, a little surprised they didn't tell the story about when Tiger went out to dinner with all those Seals he was training with after he had been with them for a couple weeks.  They went to some fancy restaurant, had a crazy expensive meal, and then Tiger only paid for himself.  What a douche.  

That story told me more about him than anything else I've read about him.  He's a piece of shit.

The late Dick Harmon (Butch’s brother) on his weekly radio show on 610 with John and Lance said Tiger would tip the locker room guys at Champions about $50 each during the Tour Championships that were held there. Most pros, who only made a fraction of what Tiger made, would tip several hundred dollars to each attendant. Tiger has always been a cheapskate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:51 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

this.  the Billy Payne thing was stupid but Bryant Gumbel is just angry and it seemed like the race angle, beyond the Payne thing, was forced to try to make some type of point that isn't really there with Tiger.

• Like 1

there is something about chasing legends records.  aaron chasing ruth, bonds chasing aaron, maris chasing ruth, tiger chasing jack.  sure there are some racists but a lot of it is one(or even 2 generations) having watched a legend, seeing a new legend take down theirs.

the old "who was better" thing.

sosa and mcgwire chasing maris was interesting in that baseball marketed the shit out of it because they were trying to bring back baseball after the strike.  the other thing is it was Maris, not Ruth or Aaron they were chasing.

Also, jack was trying to dethrone Palmer and a lot of people didn't really like Jack, thought he was cocky.  I'd have to say Tiger comes off slightly cocky.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

there is something about chasing legends records.  aaron chasing ruth, bonds chasing aaron, maris chasing ruth, tiger chasing jack.  sure there are some racists but a lot of it is one(or even 2 generations) having watched a legend, seeing a new legend take down theirs.
the old "who was better" thing.
sosa and mcgwire chasing maris was interesting in that baseball marketed the shit out of it because they were trying to bring back baseball after the strike.  the other thing is it was Maris, not Ruth or Aaron they were chasing.
Also, jack was trying to dethrone Palmer and a lot of people didn't really like Jack, thought he was cocky.  I'd have to say Tiger comes off slightly cocky.

Growing up my Dad (and therefore I) couldn’t stand Nicklaus. We loved Arnold Palmer for his blue collar roots. Nicklaus was considered too cocky. I didn’t like Tiger until recently because he was too cocky. I love stories of redemption and now I’d like to see Tiger come back and break Nicklaus’s record.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 11:56 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t get it. Jordan banged plenty of whores. Got a divorce. 

Tiger banged plenty of whores. Got a divorce. 

I think the difference is Tiger got caught red handed and claimed a weak ass sex addiction excuse. The public apologies over and over again didn’t help. At some point, you have to tell people to go f*** themselves. How many majors did he cost himself worrying about what other people thought about him? 

On 1/18/2021 at 12:29 AM, Hate said:

Michael Jordan did it before the internet age is the only thing I can really think of. He did it when there was still an “agreement” that private things stayed private. I guess.

Tiger's an addict.  His Dad was an addict, maybe his Mom too.

When you squeeze out substances from your addiction, sometimes it comes out another way, like compulsively fucking skanks, gambling, overeating, whatever.  His Dad's addiction, while also being fueled by alcohol included fucking skanks and fucking his kid's head, which was probably an attempt to compensate for what a piece of shit he was.

Tiger's compulsive cheating and skankfucking I am quite certain are related to his addiction.  He came at it backwards, cut out the hoes and got addicted to pills.

Jordan may be similar in that he squeezed out substances and resorted to whores and gambling.  AFAIK, he never yielded to the substances.  I see there are some rumors that he may be drinking a lot these days.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

As someone who has had relatively minor back surgery, I think his back and knee issues might have had something to do with the pill addiction.

I mean, I almost blew my back out watching Tiger take a couple of cuts during the documentary.

What I mean is that Tiger very likely was born with addictive tendencies.  The pressure from his father and from golf generally mostly kept him away from alcohol or other substances.  He sublimated that.  So it manifested in compulsive sexual behavior, and, ultimately, in a pill addiction.  Injuries probably kicked that off because he otherwise wouldn't have ingested addictive substances.  But nevertheless.

If he'd grown up as a regular kid, he probably would have been just a drunk.

The fucked up thing you come away from in this documentary and in other things you read about Tigers Reign of Hoes was that at at least with a lot of them he wasn't just banging them.  He was having some form of fucked up "relationship" with a good number of them.  So yea he was manifesting a sex addiction but he was also dealing with the fact that he had grown up a robot only feeling loved for what he did with a ball and club on a wide open patch of grass by the two people who are supposed to love and nurture you unconditionally.  

I think all superstar athletes in their quiet moments go through this to some degree or another (I'm only defined by what I do on the field of competition and that's all these people love me for) but man those two parents mind fucked him as a kid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, nobody wanted anything to do with peak Tiger on a Sunday in a major.  He just made dudes wilt.  That's like saying you want a piece of MJ in his prime.  

Absolute peak Tiger was up by 5 or 10 strokes on Sunday.  There was no competing with him.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

bump. 

i don't know much about tiger's story other than his dad was a hard ass on him, he and jack are the two best golfers ever, and he loves to bang blondes, or used to. can you blame him?

it's prob not news to many of you but i learned some things in this speech. got dusty in the room watching it.

loved what he said about "earning it", the two questions on country clubs which wouldn't let him in because of the color of his skin, and how he gave credit to the people who helped shape him and help him earn it.