Podcast "Mail Bag" - NEED QUESTIONS FOR FMR PLAYERS WE HAVE SCHEDULED

immamac

I've been enjoying the podcasts so far.  Thanks for doing this.  I imagine it's getting harder to come up with content now that there is no football for the next six months or so, so I'm wondering if you guys might be able to do some stuff on the baseball team.  New season is right around the corner, so now might be a good time to start talking about it.  I realize that baseball isn't one of the big revenue sports, but it is a huge part of the Longhorn athletic tradition, and I'm pretty sure a lot of Surly bastards out here, myself included, would enjoy some baseball content.  Thanks for listening.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I've been enjoying the podcasts so far.  Thanks for doing this.  I imagine it's getting harder to come up with content now that there is no football for the next six months or so, so I'm wondering if you guys might be able to do some stuff on the baseball team.  New season is right around the corner, so now might be a good time to start talking about it.  I realize that baseball isn't one of the big revenue sports, but it is a huge part of the Longhorn athletic tradition, and I'm pretty sure a lot of Surly bastards out here, myself included, would enjoy some baseball content.  Thanks for listening.

Love longhorn baseball. Generally speaking there isn't much to talk about until play starts though, do you have ideas of what would be interesting to people before play starts? 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Wild Bunch.  Whatever happened to those guys?  I pretty much lost touch with Longhorn sports for a while after I graduated, due to moving away from Austin after graduation, and then my job sending me overseas for a good part of the 90s and early aughts, but when I was on campus the Wild Bunch was a huge part of my enjoyment of attending games at DFF.  I wasn't one of them, but I did sit among them, and they always made me feel welcome.  I'd like to hear about what happened to them, and to what extent the current Occupy Left Field crew is an offshoot of the Wild Bunch.  Honestly, I think the Wild Bunch could probably be thought of as the proto-Surly; fans who were absolutely passionate about their 'Horns, fanatically dedicated to supporting their team, giving absolutely zero fucks about who they pissed off while doing so, all while having a great time.  Games at DFF during the early 80s were like a continuous party, at least of you were sitting behind first base, with a rotating cast of characters, all of whom could make you laugh your ass off.  I miss those days.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, 83Horn said:

I’m the biggest Astro fan you will meet and love Texas baseball when I get a chance to watch. It’s hard to follow in the off-season but it will definitely be part of the podcast during the season

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2021 at 7:37 PM, 83Horn said:

The Wild Bunch.  Whatever happened to those guys?  I pretty much lost touch with Longhorn sports for a while after I graduated, due to moving away from Austin after graduation, and then my job sending me overseas for a good part of the 90s and early aughts, but when I was on campus the Wild Bunch was a huge part of my enjoyment of attending games at DFF.  I wasn't one of them, but I did sit among them, and they always made me feel welcome.  I'd like to hear about what happened to them, and to what extent the current Occupy Left Field crew is an offshoot of the Wild Bunch.  Honestly, I think the Wild Bunch could probably be thought of as the proto-Surly; fans who were absolutely passionate about their 'Horns, fanatically dedicated to supporting their team, giving absolutely zero fucks about who they pissed off while doing so, all while having a great time.  Games at DFF during the early 80s were like a continuous party, at least of you were sitting behind first base, with a rotating cast of characters, all of whom could make you laugh your ass off.  I miss those days.

Look up John Giles. Orig from Midland. He was behind first (or was it third) at Disch from 67 til ????  Smartest mouth I’ve ever heard. Still in Austin area I believe. He’s an AMAZING interview. 

• immamac changed the title to Podcast "Mail Bag" - NEED QUESTIONS FOR FMR PLAYERS WE HAVE SCHEDULED

What was the first thing you bought with your first NFL check?

How many Baby Mommas you got?

Are $100 handshakes a real thing?

Did your education help you for life after football?

Do you have to buy your own drinks in Austin?

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Last question
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If it were legal for athletic departments to pay players how much is enough and how would you break it down?  Guaranteed equal amounts across all players or each player for themselves?  Same amount for each sport?

Which is more common in a locker room weed or steroids?  Which, if either, is more acceptable?

Why would a team tolerate a player who is badmouthing their own school and negative texting our own recruits?  

Why would a recruit continue to be committed to a school like LSU amid so many rape allegations?

Name a game where the loss was definitely on the players and not the coaches?  Vice versa.   

Which school has the worst visitor facilities?

Who are some former athletes among you that garner respect behind the scenes that aren't named Earl, Ricky or Colt?   

Lastly, where does your piss color fall on the chart? 

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2021 at 7:29 AM, Bobby Layne said:

Look up John Giles. Orig from Midland. He was behind first (or was it third) at Disch from 67 til ????  Smartest mouth I’ve ever heard. Still in Austin area I believe. He’s an AMAZING interview. 

Scott Wilson would be the other member of the Wild Bunch that should be easy to find info on.  He's likely in his 70s now.

I think I've got a couple:

Thoughts on Sark and new staff?

Which coordinators/position coaches did you like and dislike at Texas?  Which ones do you think had great ideas but were screwed over by their superiors.

Best recruiter on each coaches staff?

Were the rumors about Herman true?

What was post-game locker room atmosphere like when Maryland beat us week 1 in 2017?  

• Hook 'Em 2