Bill Belichick declines the Medal of Freedom

Bullneck

Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam received the same award the day immediately after the Capitol riots. The blood was still  on the floors. Made me think that both Players and Sorenstam are crap. Of course I believe that Player long supported Apartheid in South Africa so opinions him should have previously been low anyway.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 3

Events like this give me hope that there is some chance of decent people running this country instead of the morons, liars, and crooks we have endured for the past four years.  If Bill Belichick deserves a medal, it is for telling Trump to shove it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam received the same award the day immediately after the Capitol riots. The blood was still  on the floors. Made me think that both Players and Sorenstam are crap. Of course I believe that Player long supported Apartheid in South Africa so opinions him should have previously been low anyway.

Yeah, they can both go fuck themselves.  I bet Sorenstam even shaved her face for the occasion. 

2 hours ago, AnTiM said:

Events like this give me hope that there is some chance of decent people running this country instead of the morons, liars, and crooks we have endured for the past four years.  If Bill Belichick deserves a medal, it is for telling Trump to shove it. 

Belichick already has his trophies that matter.  Like him or hate him, he's one of the best ever at his profession.  I don't know what the hell that has to do with The Medal of Freedom.

The Nobel prizes not related to science, economics, or actual accomplishments started this trend of just rewarding the "class favorite."  Rush Limbaugh is an all-time great broadcaster/ entertainer; but just like Belichick, I have no idea what that has to do with the Medal of Freedom.  See also "Time Person of the Year."

IMHO, The Medal of Freedom should be for heroic acts, saving/ teaching children, or making very significant strides to improve the lives of others in America.  It's not the "Hey, I really like this guy/gal award."

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

1 hour ago, slorch said:

IMHO, The Medal of Freedom should be for heroic acts, saving/ teaching children, or making very significant strides to improve the lives of others in America.  It's not the "Hey, I really like this guy/gal award."

I agree Slorch, while the Medal of Honor is a military award, the Medal of Freedom should be reserved for the reasons you described above. For someone such as a Belichick, there is the ultimate trophy for his arena: the Super Bowl Championship trophy or the NFL Hall of Fame. Those are enough. Or, they should be, IMO. Otherwise, it devalues the medal to the points illustrated by you and others above.

But, now maybe let's look at @Nice Guy Eddie's point. IMO, it's important. Yes, I share your belief regarding Player. I also believe that there are those in this WH that are very very adept at plausible deniability while sending out just peachy white nationalist dog whistles. Let's dig a little deeper w/o going too deep into conspiracy land. It's not a stretch with this group, trust me.

The three recipients have certainly earned many accolades over their careers: they were good at their sport. In Babe's case she was also an Olympic champion, so a two-fer on athletic skill and talent. Given that Trump likes to toss out these medals in a manner of interest to him, golf makes a nice cover. However:

Gary Player does hail from South Africa and excelled at his sport during Apartheid and was quoted as supporting it (during his prime):

"I must say now, and clearly, that I am of the South Africa of Verwoerd and apartheid ... a nation which ... is the product of its instinct and ability to maintain civilised values and standards amongst the alien barbarians. The African may well believe in witchcraft and primitive magic, practise ritual murder and polygamy; his wealth is in cattle".

He later disavowed Apartheid in 1987, saying that the government had 'brainwashed' people. I won't go into that interview, and I won't speculate on the depth of his sincerity. For this matter, it's probably irrelevant. He's a symbol.

And so is Annika,, that shining example of Scandinavian western European womanhood. Quite the golfer and quite the blonde.

And lastly Babe Didrickson (Didriksen actually) Zaharias is included as well. I don't want to be accused of 'reaching' but here is where the plausible deniability gets some traction. She was a wonderful athlete, a Texan, and sadly died of cancer in the 1950s. So why is she included? Has her family been petitioning for her? I cannot answer that, but I do know this. Her era of accomplishment has some interesting coincidences that I just don't trust.

Donald Trump would not have seen Babe as a young boy, she died when he was about ten. So, unless her funeral got his attention, or his  parents made a big deal about it (due to her golfing, etc) I fail to see why he would have been struck by her in particular.

However, she earned her Olympic medals (T&F) in the 1932 Olympics. 1932 is the year Adolf Hitler gained German citizenship and also Herman Goring was elected chairman of the German Senate. The year 1932 was the last year in which free and fair elections were held in Germany until 1990. Let that sink in for a minute. These medals were to be handed out on what day again? I'm not a conspiracy nut, I'm being pragmatic here. Out of all defections and resignations, who is still in the WH at this very minute? You know who I'm talking about. It isn't just Trump thinking this is a great idea. He has some help here.

Grantland Rice, the late acclaimed sportswriter said during the time of her fame "She is beyond all belief until you see her perform...Then you finally understand that you are looking at the most flawless section of muscle harmony, of complete mental and physical coordination, the world of sport has ever seen."

In other words, she had lovely genetics.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wtf?  Two people that aren't even American?  

8 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Wtf?  Two people that aren't even American?  

That is not uncommon as it is the highest civilian honor bestowed by our country. It has been awarded to noncitizens; I believe Lech Walesa is a recipient. His persistence to gain democratic freedom for Poland is something that a country like ours attempts to recognize formally. It's why I support the Medal for the reasons Slorch stated.

14 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Not really a way for a pro sports coach to accept that right now unless he's retiring. 

This was exactly my thought. He coaches a team that is what, 60% black or more? No way to have a relationship with your players after accepting that.

I'm sure he wanted it, though.