Oh, honey, that’s so sweet.

deadshank

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This is my favorite from HEB, when it is open.

spacer.png

Honey homey checkin in

this is usually our HEB go to as well.  I love getting a good unfiltered honey from the farmers market when I can.

Bought this last week and man is it good.  Its great on pizza. Theres a bit of a kick to it but the sweetness drizzled over the savory is :chef's kiss:

mikes-hot-honey-chili-infused-honey-12oz

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Honey homey checkin in

this is usually our HEB go to as well.  I love getting a good unfiltered honey from the farmers market when I can.

Bought this last week and man is it good.  Its great on pizza. Theres a bit of a kick to it but the sweetness drizzled over the savory is :chef's kiss:

mikes-hot-honey-chili-infused-honey-12oz

I'm envisioning that with my pork belly burnt ends.  Might have to pick some up.

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

This stuff is so tasty.  My barber picked up a few jars for me from the apiary around Navasota.  

What you fools got?

28A33290-3E99-40FC-9C13-520117866FDB.jpeg

I just went down a bit of a rabbit hole. I grew up down the street from these people (super nice): https://beeweaver.com/our-story/ - who are apparently part of the same family but split off in 1994. I knew they were beekeepers and had their apiary in Navasota - TIL there are competing companies there coming from the same family. 

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Anybody ever try having your own bee hive. Is it dangerous?

My dad kept bee hives when I was growing up.  Nothing better than fresh honey straight from the comb as we're gathering.  He had a smoker he used to calm the bees down, and we wore hats and gloves to keep them off of us.  It was pretty cool, actually.

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This is my favorite from HEB, when it is open.

spacer.png

That's our go-to brand.  I also really like Fain's, out of Llano.

And one of my all-time favorite desserts is a good, fresh, hot flaky biscuit, open face and covered in honey, eaten with a fork, chased with a cold glass of milk.

• Hook 'Em 2

Supposedly (not a wives tale, but is medicine honestly that much better?), honey from your local area contains local pollens and can act like an allergy shot, building resistance to the local allergens.

Accordingly, on the advice of an allergist, North Dallas Honey, now known as Nature Nates, was the staple in our household.  However, I always preferred the taste of Burleson's Clover Honey, which was the standard grocery store stuff and from Waxahachie, nominally.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I just went down a bit of a rabbit hole. I grew up down the street from these people (super nice): https://beeweaver.com/our-story/ - who are apparently part of the same family but split off in 1994. I knew they were beekeepers and had their apiary in Navasota - TIL there are competing companies there coming from the same family. 

I know them quite well.  Our boys played soccer together.  Dan & Laura are awesome people . . . I always give him shit about putting his PhD to use raising bees.

Were you in the same neighborhood they're in now, near Murchison/Doss?

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know them quite well.  Our boys played soccer together.  Dan & Laura are awesome people . . . I always give him shit about putting his PhD to use raising bees.

Were you in the same neighborhood they're in now, near Murchison/Doss?

Yeah my dad has lived around the corner for 15ish years now. One of the houses I "grew up" in.

Central Market Central Texas Honey, 16 oz

I need to cross-post this in the H.E.B. thread, but this stuff is legit, and I prefer to other local brands that I have tried including, Good Flow, Round Rock, Stoope's, Nature Nates, and Desert Creek.  I have only tried the Central Texas version, but they also offer North Texas, Rio Grande Valley, West Texas Plains, and Texas Gulf Coast varieties.

Another vote for Goodflow here.

When it's open, H-E-B offers a Mexican Desert honey that's a nice change of pace.  There's a Mesquite version (also from Mexico) in the same line that sounds interesting.  I'll probably try that one when I'm out of the Mexican Desert.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That's our go-to brand.  I also really like Fain's, out of Llano.

And one of my all-time favorite desserts is a good, fresh, hot flaky biscuit, open face and covered in honey, eaten with a fork, chased with a cold glass of milk.

don’t forget to melt a pat of butter on that biscuit before covering it in honey. 

21 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Local honey from your area helps with allergies.  I'm told.

In central Texas,  from an early age we would put sap from our local cedar trees on everything. Momma said if we want maple syrup,  move up north. 

out of boredom during the lockdown I started infusing whatever localish honey (fain's, kelley's, round rock) I could get my hands on at my heb.  best results achieved were jalapeño and garlic.  goes really well on grilled pork loins.  you can then eat the sliced garlic and jalapeños left in the jar when all the honey is used.

and I'll second the recommendation of mike's hot honey on pizza.

11 hours ago, hornimal said:

out of boredom during the lockdown I started infusing whatever localish honey (fain's, kelley's, round rock) I could get my hands on at my heb.  best results achieved were jalapeño and garlic.  goes really well on grilled pork loins.  you can then eat the sliced garlic and jalapeños left in the jar when all the honey is used.

and I'll second the recommendation of mike's hot honey on pizza.

How does the infusion work?  I'm always concerned about adding a perishable to a non-perishable like honey or oil.

54 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

How does the infusion work?  I'm always concerned about adding a perishable to a non-perishable like honey or oil.

If the chilies are dried, zero chance it will introduce moisture which is the only thing that can contaminate honey. Otherwise same infinite shelf life. 

On 1/12/2021 at 2:21 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Supposedly (not a wives tale, but is medicine honestly that much better?), honey from your local area contains local pollens and can act like an allergy shot, building resistance to the local allergens.

Accordingly, on the advice of an allergist, North Dallas Honey, now known as Nature Nates, was the staple in our household.  However, I always preferred the taste of Burleson's Clover Honey, which was the standard grocery store stuff and from Waxahachie, nominally.

Can confirm it works. I’ve heard within a 30 mile radius of where you live. I use the Goodflow Wildflower honey.

Tablespoon in the morning and one in the afternoon.

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

for the garlic: peel the cloves and crush with a knife.  pop the crushed garlic into a small mason jar and cover them with honey, leaving a little room at the top for gas expansion before screwing the lid on.  I left them in a window still for a week, turning them once a day.  every second day open the lid to burp the jar.

jalapeño: line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  place sliced jalapeños on the baking pan and pop them in a toaster over to broil.  when cool, put the broiled slices in a small mason jar and repeat the jar turning procedure.  these don't get as gassy as the garlic infused honey.

simple.  I haven't gotten botulism, yet.

I’ll be the cynic. I’ve tried several of the honeys mentioned in this thread. They all taste pretty much the same to me. I once tried a jar of orange blossom honey and I might have gotten a hint of orange flavor but it could have just been my imagination. To me, it’s like different brands of granulated sugar. The same goes for many IPAs and many bourbons. It’s possible I have a shitty palate. As for honey, I usually buy local stuff for the hoped for allergy benefits.

• 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

It's in my neighborhood. It's where I first learned that I liked cowgirls in Wranglers.

I rarely go with her on her trips but when I do I have to watch where I'm looking becuase some of the barrel racers are complete smoke shows in those tight fitting blue jeans.

She's off on a 6 week trip to Evergreen, CO; Flagstaff, AZ; Salt Lake City; Estes, CO;  Cheyenne, WY, somewhere in MT and then Nampa, ID.   It's quite a gig she has.

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

How much honey are you people eating?  I probably have had the same container of honey in the back of my fridge for the last 10 years.   

Apparently more than you.  I have it for breakfast pretty much every morning.

33 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I rarely go with her on her trips but when I do I have to watch where I'm looking becuase some of the barrel racers are complete smoke shows in those tight fitting blue jeans.

She's off on a 6 week trip to Evergreen, CO; Flagstaff, AZ; Salt Lake City; Estes, CO;  Cheyenee, WY, somewhere in MT and then Nampa, ID.   It's quite a gig she has.

That's a hell of a roadtrip. Is she a participant or does she have a business that requires her to be there?

The wife and I eat lots of honey. Put it on crackers, cheese, peanut butter sammiches, hot bisquits, the list goes on. I don't know if it is more common here but we have lots of producers in the area. There are a couple of producers with national distribution so there are quite a few beekeepers anywhere you look. A lot of them do crafty, flavored, artsy shit.

ETA: I use it in my Old Fashioneds instead of simple syrup. I like it, YMMV.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

That's a hell of a roadtrip. Is she a participant or does she have a business that requires her to be there?

The wife and I eat lots of honey. Put it on crackers, cheese, peanut butter sammiches, hot bisquits, the list goes on. I don't know if it is more common here but we have lots of producers in the area. There are a couple of producers with national distribution so there are quite a few beekeepers anywhere you look. A lot of them do crafty, flavored, artsy shit.

She's a PRCA official.  15 rodeos this summer (playing catch up for nearly none last year).  She'll hit events in Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

This current trip has a hub in NE Colorado on a 80K acre ranch she will stay at and rest up between some of the shows.  The place is a simply incredible piece of property.  Finominile.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Yah now that i read my post, i didn't mean it quite a snarky as it sounded.    Let me rephrase, what are you using honey for?  i haven't eaten breakfast in 30 years, so that's probably it.

Didn't take it as snarky.   I eat it on cereal and on the rare times I have biscuits. 

You should eat breakfast.