2021 Poker: Raising Covid with the nuts!

AUS-97HORN

On 8/31/2021 at 10:18 AM, po elvis said:

I imagine they will test the dealers daily.

yeah, but if the dealer tests positive the next day... does that mean everyone who sat at their table for more than 10 mins is now DQ'd?  (also... how the FUCk do you track that- they arent gonna splurge on the contact tracing wristbands for 7,000)

yeah, but if the dealer tests positive the next day... does that mean everyone who sat at their table for more than 10 mins is now DQ'd?  (also... how the FUCk do you track that- they arent gonna splurge on the contact tracing wristbands for 7,000)

No, which is a big part of why they required vax. They previously adjusted the rule on “close contacts” to only include unvaxxed.

So now the dealer will be out but the players can continue unless symptoms.
  • Like 1

The Lodge has opened up their new spot a few pads down from the current location. 60 tables, looks pretty slick.

Any of you tourney pros firing in the WSOP? Between work and getting our house ready to sell, not looking great. I will be there 11/10 - 11/14, but with friends and shit for my burfday.

I will probably go up there for the Reunion and then maybe back for the mini main. The structure for the reunion looks absolutely horrible. It’s gonna be a shove fest before the dinner break. I am looking forward to playing the tournament next week at Texas Card House. A million dollar guarantee for under a 1k buy in. 

• Like 1

Went to the lodge last night for the big O tournament. The new room is nice. 

Ended up finishing 7th out of around 70. Third cash in the last 4 weeks, but all in the lower part of the money. Not sure if I can change strategy any, just keep getting huge runs of shit cards near the bubble and end up getting to the final table with a small stack. Kinda hard to call an all in with A2357 on a Q95 board. 

You know as well as any of us the bitch that is variance. Keep cashing 75% of the time and those nights with the big stack should appear, imo. Many of the big stacks got there because they were luckier than normal early and found opportunities to be bullies, not because they were employing a better strategy. Yours will come.

17 hours ago, Lurch said:

You know as well as any of us the bitch that is variance. Keep cashing 75% of the time and those nights with the big stack should appear, imo. Many of the big stacks got there because they were luckier than normal early and found opportunities to be bullies, not because they were employing a better strategy. Yours will come.

yeah, my biggest win ever in a NLHE tourney came from 1 hand in a 22,000 person $11 tourney with about 150 or so players remaining.   I started off that hand with a top 10 stack but the table had 2 stacks larger than me and a 3rd stack with just a little less than me.   all 4 of us ended up in the same hand, where I was the BB,   and the biggest stack opened for 3x  in MP, got called by 2nd biggest, and the SB who was under me  

I had 88, and just called closing out the action.    

Flop was 8 high with two to the flush (no straight possible)  and obvious straight and flush draws.     SB bet small, I raised to about total pot,  MP shoved,  LP shoved, and SB called... so yeah I called.   MP had either JJ or QQ,   LP had flopped a lower set, and SB had the combo draw.     I won the hand and became the massive tourney chip leader.

At that point I had more chips than the rest of the top 10 combined, they broke down my table and I landed on a table with guys with low stack levels.   so for about 30 mins, I called almost every pre-flop raise and just jammed on the flop. 

I think I only got called around 3-4 times, won at least 1 or 2 of those, and basically chipped up until we were down to 20 or so players, where my stack was still almost 3X  2nd place.   and then changed strat after that to just keep raising.   we got down to 3 folks and  I was still the leader but only had like 40% of chips in play, so we chopped and I got about $8.5k.

• Like 1

First live poker in 6 months for me. Shuffle 214 in Dallas. 1/2, $335 effective. Villain in 1 seat 50ish Indian guy. I’m in 2 seat. Raising half his opens (always $12) never folding to a 3!, calls 45% of other hands. Doesn’t get too out of line post. But loves to take stabs at pots of checked to. Calls too much. Won a decent sized pot off of him earlier when I raise UTG and b/ch/b on KQxAxhh board. Previous hand villain lost a decent sized pot where he bluffed River and got called by 3rd pair. He was complaining to the guy, both regs here but he sounded have annoyed half serious.

Hand: V opens $12 from MP (while saying steam raise) Hero 3! To $35 w/ TxTd. Table folds, V calls while saying “steam reraise.”

Flop: QdQx3d, V ch, Hero $35, Villain $135, hero call.

Turn 8d, V shoves $140, hero call.

Hero image is rocky/tag. Only shown down winners but had a few post flop winners with DBs etc.

Besides I should have raised more pre, thoughts?

I’m fine with your 3! size. The flop was a good candidate for a flush draw to chkraise, so I dont hate your call, but I see so few CRs In $1/2 I might fold.

I fold turn. He prob doesn’t have a Q, and any of his big pairs prob check. I think he got there w a smaller size flush. Needs to jam to make Ad or Kd pay for chasing

• Like 1

To me, this is one of those situations where someone is playing so poorly, I’m comfortable waiting for better spots to get them all in. Obv w cash we can just rebuy, but I still consider that as a factor, particularly if I’m well above max buyin or if I only have a few bullets for the session

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, dirtonia said:

Any of you tourney pros firing in the WSOP? Between work and getting our house ready to sell, not looking great. I will be there 11/10 - 11/14, but with friends and shit for my burfday.

Looks like I will get there around Oct. 27. Going to play the Senior event for sure. The Colossus and $600 Deepstack NL are possibilities after that. I am 2+ months into a 2-year travelling the country without a home, so pretty flexible. If I do well, I can stay longer.

• Like 1

Looks like I will get there around Oct. 27. Going to play the Senior event for sure. The Colossus and $600 Deepstack NL are possibilities after that. I am 2+ months into a 2-year travelling the country without a home, so pretty flexible. If I do well, I can stay longer.

Awesome, sending some run good your way!!!

New space at The Lodge is really, really nice for anyone who hasn't made it out.

Played Flight 1D of their $1125 1.25M guarantee Main Event Friday.  Great tourney, super structure (I'd replace the worthless 100/100 with a 300/500/500, but still).  Good dealers, really comfortable, etc. 

Chipped up consistently all day, winning tons of non-showdown pots and making a couple of good thin river calls. But went 0/3 on all in pots, and can't win that way.

First one, I defend BB headsup with AT, flop T74, turn T, get it in, he has 44 and we can't find a T, 7, or A.

Second one, dealer accidentally exposes one of my cards, a five. With the replacement card, I now have AA.  Get it in pre vs QQ, Q in the window. Literally the only exposed card I saw in 7 hours, if it doesn't happen, I obv just fold pre, when it does happen I have a HUGE spot with massive edge for a giant pot, instant fucked.

Third one, get TT in pre vs AK, flop T54, turn 2, river 3. Obv a flip when it gets in, but seriously fuck the fuck off. 

• Like 1

I'd replace the worthless 100/100 with a 300/500/500

I’ve come around on this. I’ve decided it’s not a meaningful part of the tourney from a chip standpoint, allowing you time to get the table to fill up without the risk that comes from 5-6 handed play. I play super nit and make a point of really studying the other players. Even know their play likely isn’t standard either, you can pick up the essentials on their personalities.

I’ve come around on this. I’ve decided it’s not a meaningful part of the tourney from a chip standpoint, allowing you time to get the table to fill up without the risk that comes from 5-6 handed play. I play super nit and make a point of really studying the other players. Even know their play likely isn’t standard either, you can pick up the essentials on their personalities.

With 20k chips or something sure. Playing 100/100 with 60k start stack is silly. Starting 100/200 does all that you say and then you can add 300/500-500.

$2/5. Two limps to drunk guy in SB ($1400) because the play all night has been to limp in front of him and let him open to some stupid bet with trash. Ive been to his immediate left all night and picking my spots with him as he’s random but not totally terrible either. I’d guess when sober he’s pretty solid, actually.

He makes it $10 which was incredibly weird. He said something like “I’m taking it easy on you” to me when he did it. With $2k myself, I look down in BB w 88 and say “nah, let’s make it $60”. Others fold and he snap calls as expected.

$120 pot. He blind bets $40.

8 5 8. That’s a pretty, pretty, pretty good flop. I give it a good look and make the call. $200 pot

9. He waits to see this card, then tosses out a black chip. Still no reason to raise, so I make a slow call. $400 pot.

5. He makes it $325 leaving ~$900 behind. Is this real life? I can’t decide what to bet here vs shoving. It’s unlikely he has anything so I figure I’ll give him rope to hang himself, and make a near min raise to $700 which gives him a chance to feel like he can bluff. He shows me a 5 (FUCK I should have jammed) and starts talking about how I couldn’t have an 8. Fortunately he does at least call and I drag an $1800 pot PLUS a $400 high hand

Finish the night with a smooth $2100 profit

• Like 5