2021 Poker: Raising Covid with the nuts!

AUS-97HORN

$2/5

I ($500) open CO to $15 w Ks9s. SB ($800) and BB ($2k) call. $45 pot.

8s7d5s. Checks to me, I make it $20. SB pops it to $60. BB flips out 6 black $100 chips.

SB is 50ish black dude reg. I know hes a competent player. I’ve not seen BB before, but he carries himself like a pro. 30ish white dude.

What do you do?

I’m folding this one. SB and BB can have all sets, four combos of 6 9 suited, 7 8, and As6s.

Imma go with BB flips over As6s and binks it. Hell even if it’s two bricks you get stacked to A high.

$1/3/10

MP opens to $30 ($500ish), hero in LoJack 3! to $100 with KhKc ($950), button calls (covers us, $2k), MP calls.

Pot $314

Flop: 3 J 8 rainbow

MP checks, hero $125, button calls, MP folds. Pot $564. Turn 8. Hero checks, button $300.

Button is a maniac that absolutely steaming over some stupid shit a few hands ago. Good player, could show up with anything from the nuts to 7 2 off.

Hero?

I don’t think we can plan to check the river. It’s going to be checked back a ton. A lot of guys are betting that turn solely because you checked to them. Those guys will call your jam with odds to chase something they think may help them. They’re done on river and most players way underbluff river

• Like 1

After an incredible run over a couple of weeks I'm back to reality.

Horrible nights Monday and Tuesday made me take a week off. Headed back to Palms last night.

Got there around 6:30 and big O hadn't started up so I sat down at 4 card PLO. Sat with $300 and won a few hands and was around $450 when I got AAJ5 double suited. Early position raises, call, call, guy to my right thinks for a bit. While he's doing this I'm trying to figure out if I pot or bet $50 and he pots for $90. I call as do 4 others.

Flop is JT5. Pre flop potter jams for the rest of his stack, I call and two others call. The ask to run twice so we do.

Top board goes 55 for quads. Bottom 77. Guy across from me says "I don't have shit" and starts to muck, other two players muck, dreams of $1500 coming my way, then he throws his cards down face up and shows 89, "Oh I got a strait on the bottom"

Well fuck me, but at least I won several hundred.

Head over to big O. Can't win shit but finally get AA238 which is a premier hand. Pot pre folp to $15, get 4 callers. Flop A4Q, 2 diamonds. Cha ching ! Set and nut low draw. Pot and get repotted. Turn 8d and we get it all in, he flips over 2d3d for nut low and a flush, so I'm rooting for a board pair to flip the three quartering over to me, and a 3 comes on the river, giving him a better low and a scoop. 

Time to head home. Played big o for 2 hours and didn't win a single hand. Playing at that table reinforced the importance of table selection. There were 4 pros and the other players were solid. I need to play games with at least a few weak players in them. Will try again at Shuffle on Monday which has been consistently the best game to play.

4 hours ago, Lurch said:

I don’t think we can plan to check the river. It’s going to be checked back a ton. A lot of guys are betting that turn solely because you checked to them. Those guys will call your jam with odds to chase something they think may help them. They’re done on river and most players way underbluff river

I agree in general, but we have a "steaming" "maniac" so you play to exploit those tendencies. The guy called 20 bigs pre with 86 and then $125 on flop with mid pair no kicker to the person who 3b and then fires into multiple opponents.

And jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus christ at that AA238 hand. PUKE.

Edited by TXSooner518

• 2 weeks later...

Due to COVID, BestBet and/or WPT just cancelled our series that was about start in 2 weeks.

BB just started back with mandatory masks on Saturday. I went last night and would guess there was a 30% reduction in players.

We’re going backwards.

22 hours ago, Bookman said:

Poker Gods, please give Hellmuth A-A, Dwan T-T, Dwan shoves, and have a T spike on the flop.

In Ike Haxton's name we pray.

too easy.  give em both a set on the flop,  hellmuth up celebrating like he won the trophy and then bam  quads  his ass on the river. 

• Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...

$2/5 $600 deep.

UTG limps, I make it $25 in UTG1 w AsKs. BTN, BB, UTG all call. $100 pot

KdQdJc.

BB (old dude, $250 behind) donk bets $65. UTG (asian reg, $500) struggles between calling or raising, just calls. I fold. BTN (young black lady, $500) calls. $295 pot.

5d. BB jams. UTG jams. BTN calls.

10c.

BB has T9.
UTG has AT.
BTN has KQ.

I was fucking FOURTH BEST on a K high flop w AK. Crazy

What would you do if you were UTG there?

I would just call. You aren’t folding out anything that has a draw to beat you if you raise (maaayyybe 2p but we obv would much rather 2p call than fold). Might as well get more value from hands we beat.

I would raise the flop with AT if I’m last to act, get some more money in. But raising from UTGs spot makes it too easy for people who haven’t acted yet to fold.

$1/$2, $5 UTG straddle, 9 players, new to the table, just sat down a few hands ago. I'm $300 deep.

Hero opens UTG+2 to $15 with K-K with K of spades. Cutoff calls, Button calls, BB calls, and UTG straddler calls. Pot is $76. Effective remaining stack here is $150.

Flop is 10 of clubs, 8 of spades, 7 of spades. Check, Check, Hero bets $65 and Cutoff insta-jams his $150. Everyone else folds, Hero calls, Cutoff shows A-J of spades, and K-K holds up.

I think this is an easy call given the stack sizes, but I might be wrong about that. At what stack depth does that become a fold?

This hand actually happened back in 2018 but I've recently been thinking about my postflop play there. Should I have checked K-K? What if I had T-T or A-K or A-Q of spades? What should my check/call range be?

I easily could have been crushed with that flop. A-J of spades was a slight favorite.

Def cannot fold with that stack to pot ratio, which to me is the bigger issue than raw stack depth. This flop is below average for KK with a spade but not horrid.

My check range would be all my give up hands (not bothering c-betting AK or AQ into 3 opp on T87 two tone), with some check calls with 99/JJ and some check jams with spades, maybe AA, since AA has less bad turns than KK.

Bet/calling this with QQ-AA other than any check/jam AA, sets.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's a snap call IMHO with the size of the all in compared to the size of the pot.  If he's ahead, so be it.  I don't think the size of the bet matters much other than making sure you bet less than half of the shorty's stack there so others fear you re-jamming if they want to call the shorty.

Fuckin ayyyyyy. Worst four hour run of poker in my life today. Wife is out of town and I’m already sitting at home with the dogs bad.

-1,300 at mostly damn 1/2… and lost to two… fucking TWO royal flushes. Didn’t have it in me to take any more swings tonight.

Lol sounds like me tonight. Challenged myself to play perfect preflop strategy (I tend to get lazy and make wide calls if I’m not focused) which I can honestly say I’ve done. In the few flops I’ve seen I’ve just been destroyed time and time again. Down 2 buyins in 4 hours.

Go run it up for the good guys!

Was planning on making it over to The Palms, they’re having their one year anniversary, kicking off their live stream with Matt Berkey. Not sure what’s up with that place though because they’ve been closed on weekends, the streams all borked…

Anyway, watching Live at the Bike. Garret da goat.

$4 UTG straddle. UTG2 and CO call. I make it $20 on BTN w ThTd. All call. $80 pot.

AhJhTc. Chk chk. CO (old black lady) donk bets $40 w $140 more behind. I just call leaving $200 behind. UTG calls and has me covered. Other folds. $200 pot.

Jd. Chk. CO bets $50. I give the ol’ doing-the-math tank call. UTG jams and we both call. $740 pot.

CO shows KQ (old person donk bet proves right again). UTG says he has J.

9c. I fade his outs and drag a nice one.

Still stuck $111 but happy to book a much smaller loss than was on track for

• Like 2

Anyone interested in playing in an online home game? We've been running for over a year and a half now. 160+ members. Rake free. I'm attaching an upcoming event. We also have a regular three tourneys per week schedule and monthly high buy-in tourney (23 players this month). Run the occasional 6-max $1/2 cash game as well. PM me for details.

QP Labor Day Point Series 2021 Flyer.png

Tourney strat question

I was listening to Red Chip Poker podcast from this week and one mentioned he’s going into shove/fold at 15-20 BB and that waiting until 10 BB is now old school? When did this happen? I’ve even been waiting until 8 BBs recently

15 hours ago, Lurch said:

Tourney strat question

I was listening to Red Chip Poker podcast from this week and one mentioned he’s going into shove/fold at 15-20 BB and that waiting until 10 BB is now old school? When did this happen? I’ve even been waiting until 8 BBs recently

With the same range? 15-20 BBs seems to me enough to play with, a little.

15 hours ago, Lurch said:

Tourney strat question

I've been watching a lot more of Lex Veld and Jamie Staples youtube channels in the last 6 months, and both of them are playing 10-30 tournaments a day.

there are a lot of highlights of both of them ( especially Lex), holding around 9-12 BB folding things like ATo in the CO after having 2x raised, and then been shoved on by SB or BB and no other action taken, and then Lex says,  bad spot,  will go ahead and shove in a better spot.  and he folds  and then shoves soon after. 

16 hours ago, Lurch said:

Tourney strat question

The below is from the Run It Once MTT From the Ground Up course with Owen Shiels.

Stacksize breakdown in BB's:
- Very short stack (0-8)
- Jamming stack (8-15)
- Rejamming stack (15-25)
- Mid stack (25-50)
- Mid/deep stack (50-100)
- Deep stack (100+)

Very short stack (0-8bb):
- Need to make a move very soon
- Looking for any +EV spot
- All-in preflop
- No fold equity rejamming

Jamming Stack (8-15bb): aka shove/fold stack 0-15 bb's
- Short but not desperate
- Can pick our spots more carefully
- Some fold equity rejamming
- Often want to jam when we VPIP but have other options

Rejamming stack (15-25bb)
- 3b Shoving very profitable
- Denying our opponents equity
- Be aware opponents get to rejam on us too! When we do open without jamming
- Raise-fold gap 
- Open for normal raise size
- Preflop flatting range - mainly high card hands

Mid stack (25-50bb)
- Mostly too deep to 3b jam
- Best stack size for 4b jamming (and against!)
- Deep enough to 3b fold
- Get it in range gets tighter
- Can call preflop (high card/mid suited cons/pairs)
- Position important

• Like 1