Coach Sark welcome press conference 4 pm

bigup2dahorns

18 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Obviously, Sark is taking us to the national title. I went to look up the location of the next national title game to book my tickets.

It is Indianapolis.

Goddammit. 

National Title site for 2023 is in Houston. Imagine if he takes us to that one. It'll practically be a Texas home game!

• Like 1

After watching the press conference and reflecting more, I can’t say that I’m more excited after Sark’s welcome press conference than I was after Herman’s. We sucked so bad under Charlie, and whether you remember this or not Herman was indeed one of the hotter commodities on the market at the time, so I was pretty fucking excited for Herman’s arrival after three-straight losing seasons following the Mack Brown FYPM tour of 2010-2013.

Today, while Herman turned out to be an asshole who had to learn on the job how to hire a quality staff and frustrated fans and players over his meddling play-calling and player rotation, unlike coming off the Strong era, we had four straight winning seasons, four straight bowl wins, and a few bright spots along the way. Nothing to warrant a bouquet of roses for Herman on the way out, but soooooo much better than Strong, and our program in many ways is much better now than after Strong was fired. And after the relatively short-term failed tenures of Strong and Herman, my enthusiasm for any hire outside of an Urban Meyer-type would have been tempered.

But I can still say I’m pretty pumped at what I’ve heard from Sark so far. While Herman was billed as some offensive Mensa wizard, Sark comes off as way more skilled. And I don’t see him trying so hard for all of the gimmicks that Herman deployed, both as a faux hard ass (the runny eggs) or as a supposed hip players’ coach (the backpack thing). He’s seems to be a genuinely likable guy, and comes with far more valuable skins and experiences than Herman had when he came to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Crocs....

Also after reading social media last night fuck that idiot who asked the Eyes question. Literally didn’t need to be asked and shouldn’t have been asked. 

"Coach, what are your thoughts on Black Lives Matter?"

"Coach, follow up question, what are your thoughts on the situation at the Capitol last week? And abortion? And Cuties on Netflix?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

I thought it was a solid press conference especially when he was completely exhausted.  I think if you were a potential player and heard the press conference and have half a brain you might be interested in playing for a guy like Sark.  At the peak of my coaching I endlessly praised fearlessness in making mistakes, because I fervently believe mistakes are how we LEARN!!!!  Adversity is the other side of that coin, you are going make mistakes (whether you want to or not) but what you do after the adversity is what makes you better as both player and person. IF you do learn from the mistake, and work hard to improve. So I loved that part of his press conference.

Tried to prop up the super fragile psyche's of the high school coaching ranks, with a nod to them, which is an absolute must.  Fragile egos must be stroked, repetitively....

I think kids on the offensive side of the ball will be very excited, and how fucking nice to pick up a nice piece of the 2022 recruiting class almost before he can walk off the stage? Gotta love that!

Staffing - I think the big advantage Sark has over Herman can be summed up in one word. Respect.  He's been around, he's won, lost, soared and fallen and he's still here, and at is the very best at what his job has been up until now.  I believe this respect will allow him to fill out the staff quickly, with probably better evaluated coaching picks that we have seen in a while.  

So overall things are looking pretty darn good. Always evolve, always work to improve.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Nivek said:

Nearly same for Strong/Herman though.

I thought Strong would fail once Watson was hired and at the time I was convinced Herman had made a major mistake hiring Orlando and what most considered a bad staff. Hopefully Sark makes it past the staff stage and does not kill our buzz.

Edited by DanTheHorn

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

After watching the press conference and reflecting more, I can’t say that I’m more excited after Sark’s welcome press conference than I was after Herman’s. We sucked so bad under Charlie, and whether you remember this or not Herman was indeed one of the hotter commodities on the market at the time, so I was pretty fucking excited for Herman’s arrival after three-straight losing seasons following the Mack Brown FYPM tour of 2010-2013.

Today, while Herman turned out to be an asshole who had to learn on the job how to hire a quality staff and frustrated fans and players over his meddling play-calling and player rotation, unlike coming off the Strong era, we had four straight winning seasons, four straight bowl wins, and a few bright spots along the way. Nothing to warrant a bouquet of roses for Herman on the way out, but soooooo much better than Strong, and our program in many ways is much better now than after Strong was fired. And after the relatively short-term failed tenures of Strong and Herman, my enthusiasm for any hire outside of an Urban Meyer-type would have been tempered.

But I can still say I’m pretty pumped at what I’ve heard from Sark so far. While Herman was billed as some offensive Mensa wizard, Sark comes off as way more skilled. And I don’t see him trying so hard for all of the gimmicks that Herman deployed, both as a faux hard ass (the runny eggs) or as a supposed hip players’ coach (the backpack thing). He’s seems to be a genuinely likable guy, and comes with far more valuable skins and experiences than Herman had when he came to Texas.

Herman was what any average coach at Texas should do.  he's completely and decidedly average.  Charlie and McWilliams(sans Shock the Nation) were utter disasters.

I don't expect Sark to be worse than average assuming he does have his shit together.  At least he has some HC experience in P5 and I ma sure has way more coaching contacts than Herman can even dream of.

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

I thought it was a solid press conference especially when he was completely exhausted.  I think if you were a potential player and heard the press conference and have half a brain you might be interested in playing for a guy like Sark.  At the peak of my coaching I endlessly praised fearlessness in making mistakes, because I fervently believe mistakes are how we LEARN!!!!  Adversity is the other side of that coin, you are going make mistakes (whether you want to or not) but what you do after the adversity is what makes you better as both player and person. IF you do learn from the mistake, and work hard to improve. So I loved that part of his press conference.

Tried to prop up the super fragile psyche's of the high school coaching ranks, with a nod to them, which is an absolute must.  Fragile egos must be stroked, repetitively....

I think kids on the offensive side of the ball will be very excited, and how fucking nice to pick up a nice piece of the 2022 recruiting class almost before he can walk off the stage? Gotta love that!

Staffing - I think the big advantage Sark has over Herman can be summed up in one word. Respect.  He's been around, he's won, lost, soared and fallen and he's still here, and at is the very best at what his job has been up until now.  I believe this respect will allow him to fill out the staff quickly, with probably better evaluated coaching picks that we have seen in a while.  

So overall things are looking pretty darn good. Always evolve, always work to improve.

This is huge.    You better believe we will have a chance at some top notch assistants who wouldn't give us the time of day just a couple of weeks ago.  

With the second signing period coming up, it will be interesting to see how many notches we move up in the final rankings.  Sark was probably THE only Assistant on the market who could reverse what was looking like a mediocre class and maybe the only coach, save Urban Myer, Dabo, Saban ,etc who could do this under the current conditions.  

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I actually expected him to respond to that question with "we'll play anyone anytime," and was slightly disappointed when he didn't.  

I would have enjoyed it if he responded with, "They're the ones who ran away...fuck those guys."

• Hook 'Em 2

I said I would nitpick and here is my summary trying to look for red flags and things to be excited about.

Excited About:

1) Noticed in his first presser and now in this one. Sark seems to be prepared for his press conferences. He touches on issues that are of concern to the Texas fan base which to me says he is doing his homework on the challenge ahead. My brother said maybe he did not look into the issues he just what told about them but at least he listens and the prior coach did not seem to listen to others. Either way this is a plus.

2) He talked about the donors and made sure they were never left out. Basically, he started his presser with the statement that communicated that the BBs need to be in the box. Charlie just wanted to put his head down and do it all. Herman just wanted to put his head down and do things his way even if they were wrong because in his mind no one else knew better than he did.

3) Seems to believe hard work is part of the answer but not the end game. To paraphrase Tom Herman said once the players, see how we do things then players will buy in. Sark did not go this route, he talked about how good results and success are the things that will get buy in to his way of doing things. This is the most positive thing he said in the presser. To me this means that players have to see the following:
a) They are being developed and know they are getting better coaching than in the past
b) They are competing for championships

4) Coach speak is delivered energetically. Much of the rest that was said was coach speak to me and I did not read much into it. Yet it was done with energy and excitement.

Possible Red Flags:

1) When asked what he learned from Carrol and Saban he said he must be himself. Being themselves has worked for Carrol and Saban but it does not mean it will work for him. I would have preferred to find out what successful traits he has adopted from those guys into his sense of self.

2) Sticking to his guns and doing it his way as critical to success. Well we have had Mackovic and Herman that stuck to their guns and fell flat on their face. Then we have had Mack Brown and Rick Barnes (TJ special) that changed their way for doing things and did it a different way and one earned a championship and the other a final 4 appearance by changing. Both coaches said they learned from their players on why to change. Sark would have not been so adamant about sticking to beliefs and not wavering and sticking to your guns if he had already learned the lesson Mack and Barnes learned. The only counter to this red flag is he did say he likes to adjust because he knows he has to stay ahead of the game.

1 minute ago, touchthemonolith said:

If every journalist covering sports could fucking drop the phrases "saying all the right things" and "hitting all the right notes" from their repertoire when covering introductory press conferences, that'd be great. So sick of that shit. 

I think your post says it all.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Machinator said:
  Hide contents

I think he won the presser more convincingly than what he did to Ohio State’s defense.

Aside from honoring all of the sacred gods of an introductory presser at Texas (a plea to Texas HS football coaches, invoking DKR, repeatedly mentioning “the great state of Texas”) I like that Sark conveyed a level of low key self-assurance and confidence in the face of the whirlwind of tasks in front of him. He repeatedly mentioned authenticity and the importance of building genuine relationships and if he was peddling BS, I currently own several shares in that stock. Buy and hold.

But I don’t think he was peddling BS. I think he’s that guy.

There was a lot of gold to mine, but three statements hit me like I’d just taken a pull on pure oxygen after being trapped in a collapsed mineshaft:

1. “Our goal is to outcoach and outprepare our opponent every week.”

I’ve been waiting for Texas to find a coach who can leverage our natural advantages and vast resources while still maintaining an underdog mentality seeking to exploit the opponent’s scheme and personnel every week and not just “run our stuff.” There’s a dichotomy here between creative game planning and putting too much on the athlete’s plate, but Sark struck that precious balance at Bama and will work to carry it forward here.

2. “This isn’t a destination day for me.”

When those words hit my ears, clouds parted. A chorus of angelic cherubs began singing. Sunshine bathed a field of puppies frolicking.

I’ve observed before that some athletes much prefer being a football player at Texas rather than playing football at Texas. The same can be said of some coaches. The economics at the top of the profession have simply warped reality. If you’re about the distractions, the petty baubles, or the pretensions, this place can be seductive poison.

The Japanese have an expression that roughly translates to “luxury robs valor.”

All gas no brakes doesn’t suggest complacency. Beyond the rhetoric, we just saw a guy put together THAT game plan last night with THAT execution level while working every other waking hour to take on one of the top football jobs in the country.

This opportunity means a lot to Sarkisian. He doesn’t think it’s all over now and that he’s won with this hire and this contract. I believe I saw a guy who thinks the real journey just started. Who wants to complete the Hollywood story of total redemption.

3. “The Eyes of Texas is our school song. We will sing it proudly.”

He went on to say that he welcomed discussion and input on the matter and that it was important to explain the broader issues, but he was also unambiguous.

I’m not interested in discussing the specific politics. Let’s avoid that flaming garbage dumpster. But understand that this issue was a wedge. Sometimes a very cynical one. You either confront it head on or cede authority in the program to other actors within and without who have little interest in the program’s success. It festered due to a lack of leadership and a lack of authentic relationships with the players.

Sarkisian is not ceding his authority.

Time to go hire a staff, land some recruits, and start getting this thing right. Let’s do this.

Giddy Scipio is the best Scipio

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

I came here to post almost the exact same thing, but I have distilled it down to this:

I was extremely excited about the Herman hire, and almost everything he did after that (sledgehammer, Maryland, 1st year home loss to Tech, backpack stunt against Mizzou...) made me less and less excited that he was our coach.

I was pretty disappointed in the Sark hire, and everything that he has done after the announcement (Beat the shit out of Ohio State, steal an Ohio State recruit back for the good guys, display humility and maturity in the press conference) has made me think I was wrong to be disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jinx said:

I came here to post almost the exact same thing, but I have distilled it down to this:

I was extremely excited about the Herman hire, and almost everything he did after that (sledgehammer, Maryland, 1st year home loss to Tech, backpack stunt against Mizzou...) made me less and less excited that he was our coach.

I was pretty disappointed in the Sark hire, and everything that he has done after the announcement (Beat the shit out of Ohio State, steal an Ohio State recruit back for the good guys, display humility and maturity in the press conference) has made me think I was wrong to be disappointed.

Time will tell but a change was needed.  It truly was Urban or bust.   Every other option was going to disappoint and had there own fleas. Sark was the right choice.

• Hook 'Em 2