#4 Texas vs #13 Texas Tech - 8PM ESPN2

Hornlover

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Exactly. That’s your ballgame right there. Bad night, but it’s one night. This game was bound to happen at some point. Dust off and bounce back Saturday. We’re alright 

That's the hope. In past years a game like this started a downward spiral, so we'll see how they respond. 

6 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Shaka SHOULD HAVE called a freaking  TO 3mim into the start of the 2nd Half to light up their collective asses.  It is my opinion They lost this game in the first 4min of H2.

lighting them up wasn't the issue.  Beard adjusted to take AJ and our G5 "coach" had no answer except to keep going to Sims who can't make a fucking FT and only has one offensive move(lob dunk)

10 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Shaka SHOULD HAVE called a freaking  TO 3mim into the start of the 2nd Half to light up their collective asses.  It is my opinion They lost this game in the first 4min of H2.

To be fair he did call a timeout after we gave up 4 straight to start the half

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

That's the hope. In past years a game like this started a downward spiral, so we'll see how they respond. 

we are just reversing. start out bad and get hot late.  this year hot early.  I was hoping something had changed but its the same.  as soon as the shooting goes we are done because we rebound like an 8th grade girls team(except for Brown).  I was waiting for us to come down to earth on shooting.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

lighting them up wasn't the issue.  Beard adjusted to take AJ and our G5 "coach" had no answer except to keep going to Sims who can't make a fucking FT and only has one offensive move(lob dunk)

Yes. Agreed. You’re point is better thought out than mine, which is MOSTLY pure emotion. What a wasted game. 

shaka should’ve called a timeout TO FIRE HIMSELF. (FIFM) :)

25 minutes ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

Personally, I think that mistake by Ramey was the best thing that could happen for his development down the line this season. This one is going to sting, and I’ve got a feeling he’s going to use this as fuel for the next time these teams meet and hopefully it’ll help him be even more locked in during crunch time come March.

i feel like him not handing the ball to the other team and instead making winning plays for Texas would have been the best thing that could happen for his development.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

exactly.  calling the TO doesn't do any good unless you know how to coach to adjust. 

I’ll challenge this/ In that, the way they gave up those early WEAK SLOPPY buckets in the opening of the 2nd Half- That’s why you don’t wait until they’ve cut the lead in half.

esp this team who had beaten you 2 straight times at Home. (For the first time in 30+ years!!)

im sure you can call this” Monday am QB’ing”; but I PROMISE you, I was yelling “TO!!” At 13:40 in the 2nd Half.

I’m surprised y’all didn’t hear me

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we are just reversing. start out bad and get hot late.  this year hot early.  I was hoping something had changed but its the same.  as soon as the shooting goes we are done because we rebound like an 8th grade girls team(except for Brown).  I was waiting for us to come down to earth on shooting.

We actually shot better from 3 than we did for 2.  

1 minute ago, NTVTXN said:

I’ll challenge this/ In that, the way they gave up those early WEAK SLOPPY buckets in the opening of the 2nd Half- That’s why you don’t wait until they’ve cut the lead in half.

esp this team who had beaten you 2 straight times at Home. (For the first time in 30+ years!!)

im sure you can call this” Monday am QB’ing”; but I PROMISE you, I was yelling “TO!!” At 13:40 in the 2nd Half.

I’m surprised y’all didn’t hear me

he called a TO early after the sloppy start.  I know everyone thinks call a TO to stop the momentum, light their ass up.  if that is all it takes we can pay a guy about 5.5M less to do that.  He's a shitty coach that has no idea how to adjust in game.  I was starting to get the straw for the koolaid but too much history with this guy.

Y'all have the players to win.

First half was a complete ass stomping, and Texas didn't play perfect...

I don't understand the lack of ability to adjust to the opponent's weakness... in this case it was the Tech D inside.  Texas was making us pay with 3's and then Sims was making the inside shots.  Why did it stop?

Tech just got gritty as hell in the 2nd half.  You know that's what beard's gonna get out of his players.  Shaka has to be smarter.  It's not just emotion that gets the team where you want to be.  Additionally, much was made of McDonalds All-American Nimari Burnett leaving Texas Tech basketball.  What you know Beard was doing was coaching the living fuck out of his team and lil superstar didn't take to it so well.   Is Shaka coaching Texas hard?   I have no idea about his style, but he seems to be more of a players' coach.  maybe that doesn't work so well.

Interesting perspectives, with regard to coaching styles...

Just now, dcar00 said:

he called a TO early after the sloppy start.  I know everyone thinks call a TO to stop the momentum, light their ass up.  if that is all it takes we can pay a guy about 5.5M less to do that.  He's a shitty coach that has no idea how to adjust in game.  I was starting to get the straw for the koolaid but too much history with this guy.

Yeah, we’re saying “pretty much” the same thing.  
A real coach would’ve lit em up and made the all important adjustments.

I, too, was ready to start shotgunning koolaid through a two story bong, but I’ll hold off as well...ugh. I mean what a complete kick to the cod sack...eff me.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well yes because AJ was hot as hell in the first half and Coleman made 2 or 3? 2nd half, no AJ, Sims kept trying his post moves, Ramey sucks, and Coleman was cold.

Coleman and Ramey were a combined 7 of 14 from 3.  They were also a combined 1 of 12 from inside the arc.  

Is Shaka coaching Texas hard?   I have no idea about his style, but he seems to be more of a players' coach.  maybe that doesn't work so well.
Interesting perspectives, with regard to coaching styles...

Shaka is a terrible game coach. You saw how we had no idea on offense in 2h. That's what it's been like every year. You saw how we didn't know how to inbound against a FC press. Or how to get a better shot off with 3 seconds left than dribble dribble pull up shoot. He doesn't coach players better. He hopes they figure it out.

well, the basketball gods have spoken and I am not to watch anymore Texas basketball.  I watched the entire game the other day, first minutes watched all season, and we won in the final seconds.  In fact we only led about 4 minutes the first half and the last two seconds of the game.  This time the youtube I was watching got canned with about 12 minutes left in the game and we were still ahead by about 6 or so.  

Bottom line, the 2nd half Shaka is the Shaka we had last year.  Players are the same except GBIII, and my record watching this year is 1-1.  

Assuming we continue on this path we probably end up losing 4-6 more games and end up a 5 seed.  Then win one NCAA game and out.  

We're basically back in the same place we were in last year.  Is that worth an extension? 

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm all about talking shit if you can back it up and he can. 

McCullar did it better.  The point was that McCullar isn't typically that guy( when he continually goaded Ramey) and that isn't Tech basketball.  Ramey fired up Tech as much as anything else.

Edited by slorch

Beard is so impressive.  You may beat his team but it's very unlikely it will be because you've outcoached him.  Watching his last night, just maniacally focused in on his players in-game and during timeouts.   He simply was not going to lose.    And pairing up that up with Smart's mediocrity it was going to result in a Tech win, and it did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Not being able to shoot FT's and not being able to inbound the ball. Same story different season for about 15 years in a row. 

So it is Barnes.

In reality we are in the best conference in the country and no one is going to run away with it.

I think the conference champ will have at least 4 conference losses anyway.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So it is Barnes.

In reality we are in the best conference in the country and no one is going to run away with it.

I think the conference champ will have at least 4 conference losses anyway.

It remains to be seen if Baylor loses 4 if they keep somehow having COVID issues when they have games against the top half of the conference. 

I'm forwarding your concerns to the Big XII headquarters.   The funny part is that a solid majority of these posts were in the 1st half, when Texas was dominating in such a huge way.

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

what in the actual fuck?  that was horrible.  more junior high level refs.

Brown got fouled.  

keep it up.

ramey got fouled no call.

ticky tack bullshit starting.

that is some bullshit.  we are getting fucked.  this crew is junior high bullshit.

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

soccer flop.

11 hours ago, chemHORN said:

This Tech team takes more dives than James Harden

yeah that was not a foul.  Sims was off balance.

that is a bullshit call. that ref sucks.  this is crap.  every time we get a chance to pull away they show the fuck up with bullshit.

McClung snaps his head and grabs brocks arm.  

mcclung travels a lot.

how about a flagrant to the head dumbasses.

call the travels on mcclung now please.

if Sims could shoot and 8 foot jump shot he'd probably be unstopppable.

thats 1 for us and 4 for them.

thats 1.  Tech has been doing it all game. floppers.

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

that is not a travel.

kai got hit in the face... no call or review.

total bullshit call on Kai.  refs in bag for Tech.  gonna have to overcome it.

they are in the bag for beard.  predictable.

it was 7 tech fouls to 3 Texas fouls and they called 3 consecutive fouls on us to even it up.  its hilariously predictable.

fuck you beard.  it was a good call.  you have been getting a blow job from the refs all game.

told ya.  Sims can't make a shot other than a dunk.

another bullshit call on our of control drive.

more in the bag for beard calls

finally called tech being draped all over sims.  

Take that shit to raider power. 

Anyway, I woke up angry about this game then i realized why....that felt like a tournament game, and I get really angry when we lose in the tournament. 

Driving to my office, I calmed down because we are still 10-2, can grow from this loss, and more importantly I knew we would lose again it was just a matter of when.  Only being up 10 to tech isn’t going to cut it.  They were always going to come back. 

Work on some this and regroup.  If we go on an epic toll the next several games, then I’ll worry. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Take that shit to raider power. 

Anyway, I woke up angry about this game then i realized why....that felt like a tournament game, and I get really angry when we lose in the tournament. 

Driving to my office, I calmed down because we are still 10-2, can grow from this loss, and more importantly I knew we would lose again it was just a matter of when.  Only being up 10 to tech isn’t going to cut it.  They were always going to come back. 

Work on some this and regroup.  If we go on an epic toll the next several games, then I’ll worry. 

We were going to lose at some point.  We aren't Baylor or Gonzaga (and maybe not even Michigan).  We're good, but not at the elite level.  

I'd rather lost to #13 Tech than dropping a game to ISU or K-State. 

yeah, we were gonna lose at some point, but when we did it needed to be a close road loss to Baylor, or because our entire team was cold all night and we had three players in foul trouble- not because we dropped 48 on TTU in one half, at home, only to be completely inept the entire 2H, and *then* blow a wide open layup, literally hand the ball to TTU so that they can tie the game, and then settle for a running, baseline fade away jumper in an attempt to take the lead back as time runs down.

last night was an implosion, and i'm not going to just say, "eh, we were always going to lose anyway" after an epic choke job like that. Beard adjusted at half time, Shaka never did. the fact that AJ seemingly didn't even come out of the locker room for the 2H is inexcusable; going to Sims over and over and over just so that TTU could keep sending him to the line is inexcusable; having zero answer for Beard's adjustments is inexcusable; not getting Kai more involved in the offense is inexcusable; and finally, my god- missing a wide open break away layup and then literally handing the game away is inexcusable. 

maybe we bounce back from this right away. the schedule is favorable moving forward, and we should have some pretty easy wins in the near future. but make no mistake- we saw what this team capable of last night, and i don't mean that in no nice way. we saw the gulf in class between Beard and Shaka, and we saw what happens when you live and die by mercurial guards like Courtney Ramey. our warts were on full display last night, and they are fucking ugly. Shaka has been acting like a rabid dog this season when it comes to screaming at officials and and yelling at his players during the games. i hope he brings that same energy this morning when he critiques his own performance from last night.

if last night ends up being the wake up call that we need, then fine. but if it's simply a harbinger of what very well may come in other big games down the road- well, prepare to have your heart ripped out all over again come March. this team has crazy size and athleticism, and more experience than almost any team in the country- but we still have Shaka, who, despite our record, did not become some great coach overnight, and we still rely on/live and die with the decision making of players who've essentially never been held accountable for their stupid play before. Last night showed what we all have been keeping in the back of our minds- this team could go to the Final Four, or it could lose in the round of 32 to a team with a real coach and some instilled discipline. not to mention that this year is going to be our *one* true shot to make some noise under Shaka. if we don't learn from last night, we will be doomed to repeat it. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He has to take what he can get now that their football team is staring another 15-20 year stretch of complete irrelevance in the face.

FWIW, it was more a point about a certain poster making 20+ posts about the officials, and very few posts about the actual game.

Y'all ran with the other peripheral bullshit( funny, but whatever) this morning.  and Pancho, RaiderPower sucks.  That's why I have posted here for so long.  Lucky you...

It's a tough league and nobody's going to escape unscathed.  There's still lots of work to be done...in every camp.

57 minutes ago, slorch said:

FWIW, it was more a point about a certain poster making 20+ posts about the officials, and very few posts about the actual game.

Y'all ran with the other peripheral bullshit( funny, but whatever) this morning.  and Pancho, RaiderPower sucks.  That's why I have posted here for so long.  Lucky you...

It's a tough league and nobody's going to escape unscathed.  There's still lots of work to be done...in every camp.

Why'd you throw my post in there too then?  It was legit.  There was a lot of diving going on, especially from Mcclung.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

whatever, plenty of my posts had game comments.  the officials sucked and yes they sucked in the first half when we were winning.   I called it out when it sucked.  now please go fuck yourself at raiderpower.com.