Andrew Yang announces he is running for Mayor of NYC!

PenelopeWitherspoon

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Gee, I wonder why Yang is eager to highlight the Jay Z question as the big “scandal” about him this week instead of drawing more attention to his “give them a stern talking to” plan for dealing with the mentally ill?  

The problem with the mentally ill in NYC is that a lot of them are lashing out in a violent manner.  It seems like the state and city have completely abdicated any sort of responsibility for these folks.  They shouldn't be on the street, but they are, and are attacking people.  It isn't a great situation.  

I thought Yang was in trouble for saying Times Square is his favorite subway station?

The kid needs to be better on this feet and more oriented to NYC. 

I like some of his ideas. Some might scale down well to NYC. His ideas on ever increasing efficiency are forward thinking (and playing out in the real world).  But NYC will eat him up and spit him out. 

I thought Yang was in trouble for saying Times Square is his favorite subway station?
The kid needs to be better on this feet and more oriented to NYC. 
I like some of his ideas. Some might scale down well to NYC. His ideas on ever increasing efficiency are forward thinking (and playing out in the real world).  But NYC will eat him up and spit him out. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPTwv10nQvO/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/05/andrew-yang-new-york-daily-news-racist-cartoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am definitely not a progressive, and I do not believe in demonizing success.  I think Warren/Sanders/AOC have good ideas, but at the end of the day, you have to pay for those ideas, and quite frankly, my tax burden is fucking ridiculous as it is.  I tend to find a lot of waste in government, but especially in New York State and City.  Some of that has to do with the mob still having sway via Unions and other ways.  Then you have fucksticks like Cuomo who run the state like the mob and an ineffectual asshat like DeBlasio in charge of the city....sigh.

I attempt not to label anyone whether they have what is considered the mindset of someone who is progressive or someone that might be labeled as having a conservative bent. What I do when I look at people is I listen to what it is they are saying. What I most want to glean from a politician or any other person I am friends with, work with or am around regularly is are they speaking a language where their views involve how it helps the greatest amount of people as is possible. You can be a conservative human being and still be thoughtful of others and put others before yourself. In our current climate I realize that is not happening from self-identifying conservatives for all the reasons we already know.

I also look at the cost of the ideas you are referencing. What I do is I attempt to think if they are worth it or not. Are they plans that are going to transform our population in a positive way so that generations not even yet born can benefit from this one day? If they are expensive are they still worth it because of the greater good of our society as a whole being pushed forward in part because of them? If I can see that then I have no issue with the cost because if it helps other people in society out that need it I am all for it. We all live just once and I personally do not care about the hit to my pocketbook if the money is well spent. If it is not then let's have a conversation about how to better direct that tax revenue than where it is going. I believe the ideas from that trio are great. Senators Warren and Sanders put in decades of work to get to this point in time to where they can actively transform our society. Long after they are gone the work they did will go on and live on after them. That to me is pretty important. People such as Congresswoman Cortez will be the ones to pick up the slack and continue forward. This is how a society that functions should work. The question is getting enough of the folks who deride these plans to understand that they will be good for them and the future generations of their own families as well. Again I also cannot stress enough that when I look at candidates I want to see if they share qualities that were embodied in John Lewis. That is the political gold standard for me. 

Cuomo and DeBlasio...Hoo boy. One has severely abused the power of his office, as well as having shown a lack of empathy related to the deaths of all of those people in the nursing homes, a list of women that he at the very least said horrific things to as well as showing no remorse for either of those situations. DeBlasio has left behind a legacy of never taking a firm stand on anything really. I think he has the quality of empathy, but he does not have leadership qualities that can inspire others to have concrete ideas about how to govern. I do not hate him or dislike him as a human being, but I am looking forward to having a new mayor.

Edited by UpperWestside

On 5/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am definitely not a progressive, and I do not believe in demonizing success.  I think Warren/Sanders/AOC have good ideas, but at the end of the day, you have to pay for those ideas, and quite frankly, my tax burden is fucking ridiculous as it is.  I tend to find a lot of waste in government, but especially in New York State and City.  Some of that has to do with the mob still having sway via Unions and other ways.  Then you have fucksticks like Cuomo who run the state like the mob and an ineffectual asshat like DeBlasio in charge of the city....sigh.

Cheer up, you could always still be back in Texas. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I attempt not to label anyone whether they have what is considered the mindset of someone who is progressive or someone that might be labeled as having a conservative bent. What I do when I look at people is I listen to what it is they are saying. What I most want to glean from a politician or any other person I am friends with, work with or am around regularly is are they speaking a language where their views involve how it helps the greatest amount of people as is possible. You can be a conservative human being and still be thoughtful of others and put others before yourself. In our current climate I realize that is not happening from self-identifying conservatives for all the reasons we already know.

I also look at the cost of the ideas you are referencing. What I do is I attempt to think if they are worth it or not. Are they plans that are going to transform our population in a positive way so that generations not even yet born can benefit from this one day? If they are expensive are they still worth it because of the greater good of our society as a whole being pushed forward in part because of them? If I can see that then I have no issue with the cost because if it helps other people in society out that need it I am all for it. We all live just once and I personally do not care about the hit to my pocketbook if the money is well spent. If it is not then let's have a conversation about how to better direct that tax revenue than where it is going. I believe the ideas from that trio are great. Senators Warren and Sanders put in decades of work to get to this point in time to where they can actively transform our society. Long after they are gone the work they did will go on and live on after them. That to me is pretty important. People such as Congresswoman Cortez will be the ones to pick up the slack and continue forward. This is how a society that functions should work. The question is getting enough of the folks who deride these plans to understand that they will be good for them and the future generations of their own families as well. Again I also cannot stress enough that when I look at candidates I want to see if they share qualities that were embodied in John Lewis. That is the political gold standard for me. 

Cuomo and DeBlasio...Hoo boy. One has severely abused the power of his office, as well as having shown a lack of empathy related to the deaths of all of those people in the nursing homes, a list of women that he at the very least said horrific things to as well as showing no remorse for either of those situations. DeBlasio has left behind a legacy of never taking a firm stand on anything really. I think he has the quality of empathy, but he does not have leadership qualities that can inspire others to have concrete ideas about how to govern. I do not hate him or dislike him as a human being, but I am looking forward to having a new mayor.

I may have you read wrong, but I think you are young and idealistic still.  Me, I am a cynic.  Also, I own my selfishness.  I busted my ass to get where I am.  It is because of that that I want the money that is taken from me to be used well.  Right now, it isn't.  There is so much waste and grift in the system, it is ridiculous.  That is why I really have a hard time being ok with giving them more.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
I need to stop multitasking. Corrected to say I think you are young and idealistic, which isn't a bad thing.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I may have you read wrong, but I think you are wrong and idealistic still.  Me, I am a cynic.  Also, I own my selfishness.  I busted my ass to get where I am.  It is because of that that I want the money that is taken from me to be used well.  Right now, it isn't.  There is so much waste and grift in the system, it is ridiculous.  That is why I really have a hard time being ok with giving them more.

You mean like this?

https://theintercept.com/2021/05/25/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-senate-bailout/

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yep, that'll do it.

The whole government contract/bidding process needs to be overhauled.  It is fucking lunacy.

This is even WORSE than that. Guy loses a bid and we make another bid so his feelings don't get hurt. Or so he gets more money. It's infuriating. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I may have you read wrong, but I think you are young and idealistic still.  Me, I am a cynic.  Also, I own my selfishness.  I busted my ass to get where I am.  It is because of that that I want the money that is taken from me to be used well.  Right now, it isn't.  There is so much waste and grift in the system, it is ridiculous.  That is why I really have a hard time being ok with giving them more.

We're close in age I think. It's actually as I have gotten older that I have adjusted how I look at life across the board. I do not disagree that our money is in many instances used for things that can be classified as ill-advised spending. I think it is incumbent though for us to be involved and do something when we see waste and grift taking place. Getting actively involved politically needs to be a part of our life.

I also don't bemoan you for having busted your backside to get to the point in life you are at where you are doing well financially. You should be proud of yourself for having achieved what you have in life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/24/2021 at 12:38 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The problem with the mentally ill in NYC is that a lot of them are lashing out in a violent manner.  It seems like the state and city have completely abdicated any sort of responsibility for these folks.  They shouldn't be on the street, but they are, and are attacking people.  It isn't a great situation.  

This issue with the mentally ill is not unique to NYC.

Just now, shakahorn said:

This issue with the mentally ill is not unique to NYC.

While mental illness is not unique to NYC, the dynamics of NYC are singular compared to any other city in the US.  From sheer population and density argument, no other US city comes remotely close.  You throw other things to the mix, and it becomes a serious concern here given what has happened and what could happen.  We are lucky the worst has not happened yet.  

2 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Yeah I just meant that mentally ill everywhere are lashing out in a violent manner and from my perspective, no state or city (or federal for that matter) agencies seem to be doing anything to address that.

It's also difficult for any govt agency to do much when the general public is fairly split on what should be done.  One side wants to put mentally ill people in public housing and the other side also wants them in govt housing called prisons.

• 2 weeks later...

She's a politician, alright:

Wiley’s theory of the case is that many voters are just “tuning in” to the mayor’s race and that the dynamics can change dramatically in the closing weeks. Something similar had happened in 2013, when de Blasio won.

Her pitch works with prospective voters, she said, when she makes it directly—they get it, even on contentious issues like policing. “I’ve talked to real-estate developers who said to me, ‘But do you support defund?’ And then, when I tell them what I’m going to do, they were like, ‘Oh, that makes sense,’ ” she said. “And then I talked to people on the left who said, we just want you to use the word ‘defund.’ And I said, I’m going to talk about what I’m going to do. Here’s what I’m gonna do. And they go, ‘O.K., that makes sense.’ Then I go into the Black community, with the folks who have the highest rates of gun violence, and they say, ‘Do you support defund or not?’ I was like, let me tell you what I’m gonna do, and then they say, ‘O.K., that makes sense.’ ” Wiley has proposed cutting a billion dollars from the N.Y.P.D. and “actually” investing in communities, while also staking out a tricky position as a defender, but not a member, of the defund-the-police movement.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

giphy.gif

So when is the next election for mayor of New Paltz? He has ZERO ability to feel empathy and again this is just ridiculously odd considering his son has autism so you would think he would have a human emotion that involves caring about these folks. Many of those mentally ill people out there are also on various parts of the autism spectrum with a large swath of them never even officially being diagnosed. This is truly one of the oddest campaigns for public office I have ever seen. 

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

So when is the next election for mayor of New Paltz? He has ZERO ability to feel empathy and again this is just ridiculously odd considering his son has autism so you would think he would have a human emotion that involves caring about these folks. Many of those mentally ill people out there are also on various parts of the autism spectrum with a large swath of them never even officially being diagnosed. This is truly one of the oddest campaigns for public office I have ever seen. 

He isn't wrong AT ALL.   New York City has devolved into a place where I, and a lot of New Yorkers, no longer feel safe riding the subway or even walking home at night.  

The long and short of it is that NO ONE is dealing with this issue.  People call 311, and nothing happens,   You call the police, nothing happens.  

Most of these people are homeless, mentally ill, some attempt to self medicate (see all the open drug use happening all over the city (I have seen it quite a bit), and ZERO help at any level of government.  These people either have no family or have been completely abandoned by their families.  As a result, they should be wards of the state.  And quite frankly, a city like New York is probably not the best place for these folks.  I would argue cities in general are not a good place for these people.   Ultimately, the solution on this has to be at all levels of govt.  The feds need to change the laws, and the state and city needs to work together to come to a solution.

Also, for those that hate Yang, he is also saying investment of 4B a year for affordable housing.  I am interested in seeing that.  He is still my #2.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Primary Tuesday!*

*Except we may not know a winner until mid-July based on absentees and then they have to go through the RCV process. 

On 6/17/2021 at 6:03 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Also, for those that hate Yang, he is also saying investment of 4B a year for affordable housing.  I am interested in seeing that.  He is still my #2.

I'm going to be watching from a curiosity perspective-- I was reading that with the ranked choice modality, there is a path to win just by being the most #2 candidate-- you don't even have to be a majority's favorite. Seems like a great path for the "always the bridemaid, never the bride" type personality/politician.

I've been to NYC just once in my lifetime at the age of 5 in 1976, so I know the city only through what I've seen in the movies, on TV, or read about. Also, I haven't really been paying too much attention to the election but do have a subscription to the NYTimes. Also, I like maps and am posting this to get the New Yorkers' opinions on this.

Yellow/green = more liberal/progressive? Purple/orange = more moderate/conservative? Is that about right for the city?

image.thumb.png.a2e37f1410fe2f2e609a6ffaba59b0e5.png

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No one has 50%. It’s gonna take a while.

Yep.  85-90k absentees that don't have to arrive until June 29.  Then they process those.  Then they start the RCV process.  And as we remember from the 2020 primary, New York is fucking shit when it comes to counting votes timely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I've been to NYC just once in my lifetime at the age of 5 in 1976, so I know the city only through what I've seen in the movies, on TV, or read about. Also, I haven't really been paying too much attention to the election but do have a subscription to the NYTimes. Also, I like maps and am posting this to get the New Yorkers' opinions on this.

Yellow/green = more liberal/progressive? Purple/orange = more moderate/conservative? Is that about right for the city?

image.thumb.png.a2e37f1410fe2f2e609a6ffaba59b0e5.png

Adams generally did well in communities of color (Latino/black outer boroughs) 
Wiley did generally well with the hipster/progressive communities in Brooklyn and Queens
Garcia crushed Manhattan (NYT endorsement and affluent whites) 
Yang did well in Asian and ethnic white and the Orthodox Jewish communities

• Hook 'Em 1

I voted for only three choices. 

1. Garcia

2. Wiley

3. Morales

I knew Morales had no chance in this race, but that’s fine. Garcia had the most experience with the city in my opinion. Wiley I would’ve put first if not for her having worked with De Blasio before. I think had she received all of her endorsements earlier she would be much closer to Adams right now. I was not going to vote for a man or a Robotronic 9000 candidate no matter what. I’m not ready to have a robot overlord and quite honestly I have had my fill of males in positions of power.

If Adams wins that’s fine, but I think he aligns himself way too close with NYPD. I saw him campaigning in Harlem in May. He definitely was out in the community making sure his face was seen by the voters. I look forward to seeing how the rest of this process unfolds. It was great to get to experience RCV for the first time. 

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

I voted for only three choices. 

1. Garcia

2. Wiley

3. Morales

I knew Morales had no chance in this race, but that’s fine. Garcia had the most experience with the city in my opinion. Wiley I would’ve put first if not for her having worked with De Blasio before. I think had she received all of her endorsements earlier she would be much closer to Adams right now. I was not going to vote for a man or a Robotronic 9000 candidate no matter what. I’m not ready to have a robot overlord and quite honestly I have had my fill of males in positions of power.

If Adams wins that’s fine, but I think he aligns himself way too close with NYPD. I saw him campaigning in Harlem in May. He definitely was out in the community making sure his face was seen by the voters. I look forward to seeing how the rest of this process unfolds. It was great to get to experience RCV for the first time. 

Why did AOC wait so long to endorse her?  Seems like had she done it earlier, Wiley could be in a position to overtake Adams in the RCV. 

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why did AOC wait so long to endorse her?  Seems like had she done it earlier, Wiley could be in a position to overtake Adams in the RCV. 

I honestly do not know. It is not like she did not know Wiley’s positions on the issues. Her endorsement would have been nice to have been made sometime in April. All I can think of is just that AOC is no fan of De Blasio and again Wiley has a strong connection to him.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:03 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

He isn't wrong AT ALL.   New York City has devolved into a place where I, and a lot of New Yorkers, no longer feel safe riding the subway or even walking home at night.  

The long and short of it is that NO ONE is dealing with this issue.  People call 311, and nothing happens,   You call the police, nothing happens.  

Most of these people are homeless, mentally ill, some attempt to self medicate (see all the open drug use happening all over the city (I have seen it quite a bit), and ZERO help at any level of government.  These people either have no family or have been completely abandoned by their families.  As a result, they should be wards of the state.  And quite frankly, a city like New York is probably not the best place for these folks.  I would argue cities in general are not a good place for these people.   Ultimately, the solution on this has to be at all levels of govt.  The feds need to change the laws, and the state and city needs to work together to come to a solution.

Funny you mention this.

I was in NYC for the last three days. Sure Austin has it's homeless issues but it's got nothing on NYC.

After we came out of Penn station a guy in his mid 20's was running around yelling "fight club, who's ready to start fight club" and running up to and getting into the face of multiple people. On the way back to the station this morning an older homeless guy was yelling at no one in particular that he wasn't a faggot and would prove it by eating pussy and was swinging a cane around hitting light poles and trash cans and just missing passers by.

3 minutes ago, blacklab said:

On the way back to the station this morning an older homeless guy was yelling at no one in particular that he wasn't a faggot and would prove it by eating pussy and was swinging a cane around hitting light poles and trash cans and just missing passers by.

You left out his Surly handle.

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny you mention this.
I was in NYC for the last three days. Sure Austin has it's homeless issues but it's got nothing on NYC.
After we came out of Penn station a guy in his mid 20's was running around yelling "fight club, who's ready to start fight club" and running up to and getting into the face of multiple people. On the way back to the station this morning an older homeless guy was yelling at no one in particular that he wasn't a faggot and would prove it by eating pussy and was swinging a cane around hitting light poles and trash cans and just missing passers by.

This was after Foo on Sunday night. It was 11:34 on Sunday night.

20210620_233450.jpg

NYC just ran the simulated ranked choice voting (without the absentees, only in-person + early)

Garcia would edge Wiley in the second to last round (0.5% difference), with Adams winning the final round 51-49 (16k vote gap).  There's 120k ballots left to be counted from the absentees.  Legitimately looks like a toss-up between Adams/Garcia, but Wiley is also still in it based on that second to last round gap. 

39.5k in Manhattan
35k in Queens
32k in Brooklyn
12k in Bronx
5k in Staten Island