Andrew Yang announces he is running for Mayor of NYC!

PenelopeWitherspoon

I have to check with my upper east side friends & Family first to see how I feel about this.  

And that one guy I bought drugs once from Staten island

Edited by Lobo

I wonder if the Asian vote will come out for him. If so, that should put him in good position since less than 10% of the population votes in these mayoral elections anyway. Plus the yuppie/professional and hipster crowd will probably vote in higher numbers. There are over 1.3 MM Asians in NYC proper, the majority of them Chinese.

The Black, Hispanic, and ethnic White vote will be an uphill battle. Going to have to do work in those council areas.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:12 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Running for mayor of NYC and being mayor of NYC seems like a great way to get people to dislike you. Hope he does well.

It is very courageous. He could have just sat back as some kind of CNN celebrity and got some job in the Biden Administration but no he wants a real job, one of the toughest in the political world, and to make a real difference. That is why he is the real deal.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:54 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hope he wins but yeah, that job doesn’t have the greatest track record of noble public servants. 

All I can say is, be careful what you wish for.  Yang want's a high profile position.  It would be nice if Biden gave him a cabinet position or had him heading an agency.  

• 3 months later...

I registered to vote for the first time to support yang. 

He was out of contention by then but why not vote for the only person with actual solutions, following humanity first,  and willing to put those actual ideas out there. 

Alas, I know my vote was wasted... I wish he'd move to a smaller town and actually build a government for the people. 

If I lived in NYC, he'd have my vote 

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all been following his candidacy?

He’s apparently the front runner AND a complete shitshow.

Like, he picked the worst possible example here lol.

And his comments about Israel and Palestine have been yikes.

I will be voting next month and while I am still undecided on the person I will vote for I can say the vote will be going to someone other than this candidate.  He will still likely be the next mayor though. 

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all been following his candidacy?

He’s apparently the front runner AND a complete shitshow.

Like, he picked the worst possible example here lol.

And his comments about Israel and Palestine have been yikes.

NYC mayor has lots of pull in Israel / Palestine relations?  That’s like being concerned over the abortion stance of someone running for TX Railroad Commissioner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I will be voting next month and while I am still undecided on the person I will vote for I can say the vote will be going to someone other than this candidate.  He will still likely be the next mayor though. 

If the right can elect loons like Marge, Boobert, Tubberville, etc. why can’t the left get their own gaggle of nuttiness?

3 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

In many ways his campaign has been great in that he’s repeatedly highlighted what a complete buffoon he is and how utterly unfit he is to be our mayor, even if one could get over the fact that he bailed from New York during the pandemic. I think I’ll be voting for Garcia as first choice, although I’m not sure yet. I haven’t decided on second choice either.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not following this race at all, but I saw he made a shittastic appearance in front of some gay group where he seemed to think as long as he could name drop some gay bars he was in the clear.  Really pissed off the people in attendance.  I see that he's not limited himself to bad performances just in front of gay audiences....

40 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Maybe this one won't kill grandmas in nursing homes though.

jesus christ, dude. you do know there is a difference between being mayor of new york city and governor of the state of new york, right?

do you even stop to think before you post?

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

jesus christ, dude. you do know there is a difference between being mayor of new york city and governor of the state of new york, right?

do you even stop to think before you post?

I'm sorry, maybe this one won't write political messages on the street, and have it guarded by cops.

• Fuck You 1

Yang should do the right thing and drop out of this race. He will not do that because this is not about helping NYC regain its footing or even about helping out the human beings who live here. His words and actions show someone who is in no way prepared to lead a city of over 8 million people. His ability to connect with people from various backgrounds and walks of life is non-existent. That is a major strike considering there is no more diverse city in the world than this one. His words about mental health alone should be enough for him to not be elected. He is in no way prepared for the mental health crisis happening in this city. Saying a police officer needs to be on scene is very disheartening. Having Stephen Miller in your corner should be enough to have influential Democrats getting everyone to coalesce around another candidate (And not Eric Adams either, but at least he stayed here during the height of the pandemic).

He should probably head to New Paltz, the city that claims him as a resident, and stay there and do the unselfish thing and be there for his family. He said he left to go New Paltz during the pandemic because of that. Leave New York City to someone who was actually here and did not leave when, you know, an aspiring mayoral candidate would have been needed the most by the populace. When the city was being ravaged by the pandemic, and holy sweet Lord was it a rough time last spring, Mr. Yang was nowhere to be found. I feel like Mr. Yang is just using the city as a grand experiment for some of his ideas. We do not need people in government here, or anywhere else in this country for that matter, with that mindset. I do not hate or dislike him as a person though. I feel he just does not have empathy for others and that is a disqualifier for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I'm not following this race at all, but I saw he made a shittastic appearance in front of some gay group where he seemed to think as long as he could name drop some gay bars he was in the clear.  Really pissed off the people in attendance.  I see that he's not limited himself to bad performances just in front of gay audiences....

At least he didn't say something like "You know, one of my best friends growing up was gay, but I didn't realize it at the time as his dick didn't taste like shit, ba dum tss!  That was funny, right?"

Leaving the city during the pandemic should absolutely disqualify him. When questioned about it, he gave just about the worst possible answer imaginable:

“Can you imagine trying to have two kids on virtual school in a two-bedroom apartment, and then trying to do work yourself?” Mr. Yang said in the initial interview.

No fucking shit dude, it was hard. Millions of people did this because they didn't have the luxury of escaping to the Hudson Valley. How on earth does anyone connect with this fucking robot?

• Like 2

If I ever ran for local office I would welcome the opportunity to NOT comment on anything outside of my sphere.

"I wish everyone everywhere peace and happiness, but if it's not about New York City and its residents I am not focused on it."

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Leaving the city during the pandemic should absolutely disqualify him. When questioned about it, he gave just about the worst possible answer imaginable:

No fucking shit dude, it was hard. Millions of people did this because they didn't have the luxury of escaping to the Hudson Valley. How on earth does anyone connect with this fucking robot?

I remember it when he said it. On its own it shows a disconnect with the millions who had even smaller dwellings in apartments nowhere close to as nice as his who had to struggle to stay afloat while bills piled up and people all around them were dying from COVID. When taken with everything else Mr. Yang has said it shows a human being with a complete lack of interpersonal skills and empathy. The people here should at least have a mayor that has the ability to show compassion and some sense of humanity. That is something that should be a requirement for the job.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:46 AM, bad_teammate said:

Cops are great at dealing with the mentally ill this is well established.

lol

When I read that, especially after all of the protests from last summer, I shook my head. He has no plan to take on the mental health crisis here. To even come to the conclusion that you want a police officer on scene to speak with someone who is mentally ill shows he has quite literally ignored everything related to it that people have been pushing for here.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

If I ever ran for local office I would welcome the opportunity to NOT comment on anything outside of my sphere.

"I wish everyone everywhere peace and happiness, but if it's not about New York City and its residents I am not focused on it."

If I ever ran for local office, I would welcome every opportunity to comment on how much OU sucks.

• Like 1