UTRGV commits to add FCS football by 2024

Beau Vine

25 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I forgot about that one year at Weslaco.   No doubt Salinas was a good coach at the high school level.   But making the jump straight to college level and D2 for that matter is a huge jump.  Especially if you had been away from the college ranks as a coach for several years like he was.  

The two finalist other than him at the time were an assistant at UIW and HC for another D2 program in Arkansas ( I think Henderson State?) ....   The assistant at UIW probably had more going for him than the HC from Henderson and I think they offered the UIW coach, but both withdrew.  Salinas got it by default because the calendar was getting close to flipping and they need to hire for recruiting.    

Has he coached a game there yet? Was trying to find out, but  seems like he was hired after the 2019 season and then they didn't play any games this fall (postponed to Spring it seems like?)

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have spent my fair share of time in Mexico as a single man.  Monterrey always had the hottest women.  Many definitely had more Spanish than Indian blood in them -- blonde hair and blue eyes.

Norteños are majority from white, European background 

24 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

The Zone, wow....I think that opened when I was in middle school or high school. When I was a kid, we had a place called Green Acres in Weslaco that was a ton of fun. Now it's a Sonic....

There was a place in McAllen called Gorilla George's where we had all of our birthday parties before a big Peter Piper opened up in Weslaco ha

It opened when I was like in 5th or 6th grade I think, place was the shit. Definitely would be a Covid superspreading factory if it was still open lol. Never went to Green Acres, it must’ve been where the Sonic is on Westgate with the jungle gym right? Always wondered why that Sonic had a playground.

Has he coached a game there yet? Was trying to find out, but  seems like he was hired after the 2019 season and then they didn't play any games this fall (postponed to Spring it seems like?)

Nope. Ironically COVID did him a favor and allowed him more time for recruiting. Fall was treated like spring football which helps too.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This....   

They should have kept the Broncs as the mascot, IMO.

This probably means the death are even more of rapid decline to the Texas A&M Kingsville football program.   It was already in hole.   Unless John Sharp gets his way and merges the Kingsville and Corpus into one school sort of like what UTPA did with the Edinburg campus and UT Brownsville.  In fact their was some serious movement a few years ago to do just this and the athletic programs would have been combined and he promised a new 25,000 -30,000 seat stadium and complex to go along with it.  It didn't fly because Corpus was going to be more on the short end of the stick.   But I'm hearing rumbles it might be tried again with more goodies for Corpus this time around.    I hope it occurs because this region could use a showcase like football stadium .   It will probably occur after I move from the area in 3 or 4 year from now, but I hope it does.

Juuuust thinking about this. Father's family is from Kingsville so I grew up going to as many Javelina games as Longhorns...... and that program hasn't been a major player (DII obvs) since the early 2000s it seems. This definitely can't help. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It opened when I was like in 5th or 6th grade I think, place was the shit. Definitely would be a Covid superspreading factory if it was still open lol. Never went to Green Acres, it must’ve been where the Sonic is on Westgate with the jungle gym right? Always wondered why that Sonic had a playground.

That's exactly where it was.  You guys scare me with your intimate knowledge of Weslaco.

Green Acres, Skateland, or the bowling alley - the only acceptable birthday party locations.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Zone, wow....I think that opened when I was in middle school or high school. When I was a kid, we had a place called Green Acres in Weslaco that was a ton of fun. Now it's a Sonic....
There was a place in McAllen called Gorilla George's where we had all of our birthday parties before a big Peter Piper opened up in Weslaco ha

Gorilla George’s was the best. Mr. Fun’s was another great place
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

That's exactly where it was.  You guys scare me with your intimate knowledge of Weslaco.

Green Acres, Skateland, or the bowling alley - the only acceptable birthday party locations.  

Yup, right across from the Stadium!

We used to do laser tag at Flamingo Bowl in McAllen a lot too.

17 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

This was it...   And the Keno Cafe for Chicken Fried Steak and Dinner Rolls...     

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

I always say what we lack in size & speed we make up for in ganas. 

But yeah it turns out size & speed are usually more useful.

Reminds me of a good tweet a couple months ago, wish I could find it. A bunch of the RGV adults were commenting on that kid from Edinburg that ran over the Ref. "He ruined his team's chance to compete for a State Title!". Some valley girl: "Calm down. He ruined his team's chance to dye their hair blonde and lose 77-6 in the 3rd round to a team from north of San Antonio". 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Mqn I saw them all at the San Marcos outlet mall a couple of days after Christmas in 2018. There were more Mexican plates in the parking lot than American ones. 

Semana Santa ( The Holy Week) up there is crazier.  We went one day during that week it was unreal how many Mexican license plates you saw in the parking lots.  And not just from the border states of Mexico.  Talking about the interior.   

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Semana Santa ( The Holy Week) up there is crazier.  We went one day during that week it was unreal how many Mexican license plates you saw in the parking lots.  And not just from the border states of Mexico.  Talking about the interior.   

Yep I was surprised seeing some State of Mexico plates there. That's a long drive for a 2hr flight. I assume they're all visiting family while they're here too?

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yep I was surprised seeing some State of Mexico plates there. That's a long drive for a 2hr flight. I assume they're all visiting family while they're here too?

Possibly.  San Antonio and our beaches are their top destinations outside of Mexico during Semana Santa and Christmas and San Marcos is a short drive from San Antonio.   Those outlet malls spend good money marketing themselves in Mexico and to the Asian community here in the USA.      

What I recall from my days in the RGV is there was a strict $$$ limit on how many new goods Mexican Nationals could take back home with them.   So what they would do at the malls and the such down there is unpack everything and take the tags of clothes so they wouldn't have any indication of being new.  The parking lots would be full of trash at the end of the day.     It might be harder to to take that sort of stuff though Customs at airport if they flew because they check luggage a little more closely vs land travel.     I don't know if NAFTA and whatever came after that eased that restriction?  

55 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My great aunts from Nuevo Laredo do exactly that, and will stay with family in SA. They don’t do too much shopping though because they aren’t very rich. 

Lots of the wealthier Mexican nationals long preferred SA and even Laredo to the RGV because the valley is seen as low class. SA (specifically Stone Oak) is still the go-to destination for many but the development of the RGV is attracting more. 

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Reminds me of a good tweet a couple months ago, wish I could find it. A bunch of the RGV adults were commenting on that kid from Edinburg that ran over the Ref. "He ruined his team's chance to compete for a State Title!". Some valley girl: "Calm down. He ruined his team's chance to dye their hair blonde and lose 77-6 in the 3rd round to a team from north of San Antonio". 

She's not wrong 

2 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

you people are amateurs

3 airports = 3X the amount of graft and corruption and insider deals for concessions and land deals back when the locations were picked

I mean, VIA is just a former military base that was converted to civilian use after a hurricane destroyed the original civil airport. But sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Juuuust thinking about this. Father's family is from Kingsville so I grew up going to as many Javelina games as Longhorns...... and that program hasn't been a major player (DII obvs) since the early 2000s it seems. This definitely can't help. 

It’s really hard to make a living at the DII level in this era. Casual football fans can see any game in the country almost online or on TV. It’s within my memory that UT, A&M, etc would be only radio.  Back then, you could pack stands for live games at the DII level with locals and causal fans.

At the FCS level you can sign up to take your licks at a big house once or twice and you’re almost at break even for your program. That’s not an option for DII.

That’s why I’m not opposed to FBS-FCS crossovers, it helps football survive at the lower level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s really hard to make a living at the DII level in this era. Casual football fans can see any game in the country almost online or on TV. It’s within my memory that UT, A&M, etc would be only radio.  Back then, you could pack stands for live games at the DII level with locals and causal fans.

At the FCS level you can sign up to take your licks at a big house once or twice and you’re almost at break even for your program. That’s not an option for DII.

That’s why I’m not opposed to FBS-FCS crossovers, it helps football survive at the lower level. 

This is true....  Even when the Javs had some winning seasons around 2010,  that's when Video streaming became an option.   I would notice attendance would be down, save for maybe homecoming or a real marque game compared to earlier in the decade and certainly the 90's when they really kicked ass.   I still watch occasionally just to watch the train wreck in action, but from the comfort of my own sofa on my Ipad while watching a major college game or two on the big screen.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:50 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Been there.  I've always gone to the outlet malls on random Tuesday mornings to avoid the crowds.  One of those days one time, I showed up to find the parking lots completely filled with cars with Mexican plates.  I went into a store and saw one of my students working.  I asked him WTF was going on, and he rolled his eyes and said that it was some Mexican religious holidays, and that they put these on the store calendar so everyone knows what to expect.  

On 1/15/2021 at 12:47 PM, Helobious said:

This is where Green Acres was located.   You missed a great thing, kid.    LOL!  

Honestly the mini golf was fun and challenging unlike some of the smaller mini golf courses you see today.   You were not done in 30 minutes and off to arcade.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This is where Green Acres was located.   You missed a great thing, kid.    LOL!  

Honestly the mini golf was fun and challenging unlike some of the smaller mini golf courses you see today.   You were not done in 30 minutes and off to arcade.  

It had to have been around when I was a kid, I guess we just never went. Our parents had us thinking Peter Piper was the pinnacle of entertainment. My weslaco cousins were big into basketball so we’d always go play at Gibson Park, and that park in the plaza too where all the thugs would hang out. Poor guys never made the NBA. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

It had to have been around when I was a kid, I guess we just never went. Our parents had us thinking Peter Piper was the pinnacle of entertainment. My weslaco cousins were big into basketball so we’d always go play at Gibson Park, and that park in the plaza too where all the thugs would hang out. Poor guys never made the NBA. 

There's a nice little Welcome to Weslaco mural up at Gibson Park now

(sorry, tried to embed directly but was having issues)

20191127_230055.jpg

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Helobious said:

I was young enough to go to the first Chuckie Cheese in McAllen...  LOL that was a big deal when they opened.  

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Splitting games between Edinburg and Brownsville is an interesting choice. They should just go with HEB in Edinburg.

Makes sense in a way considering UTRGV is the merger of UT Brownsville and UT PanAm. Ideally all games would be in Edinburgh but perhaps the old UT Brownsville board members pushed for games closer to their side of the valley 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:10 PM, Helobious said:

Lots of the wealthier Mexican nationals long preferred SA and even Laredo to the RGV because the valley is seen as low class. SA (specifically Stone Oak) is still the go-to destination for many but the development of the RGV is attracting more. 

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

• Haha 3

On 1/15/2021 at 4:10 PM, Helobious said:

My great aunts from Nuevo Laredo do exactly that, and will stay with family in SA. They don’t do too much shopping though because they aren’t very rich. 

The Houston Galleria has a ton of Spanish speaking people who appear to be Mexican, not American, on weekends.

I even ran into a family from Nuevo Laredo in the Cayman Islands one time there for a shopping trip.  Their daughter, who was a UTEP student, was quite attractive.

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

The Houston Galleria has a ton of Spanish speaking people who appear to be Mexican, not American, on weekends.

I even ran into a family from Nuevo Laredo in the Cayman Islands one time there for a shopping trip.  Their daughter, who was a UTEP student, was quite attractive.

Vick Mackey request pics of her after she packs on 50#

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Bump, this timeline has shifted but the Vaqueros have gotten approval to play.

https://goutrgv.com/news/2022/11/18/football-utrgv-announces-approval-of-football-womens-aquatics-band-spirit-programs.aspx

•     2022-23 ¬– The hiring of a head football coach and two coordinators in preparation for the program's first competitive season in 2025. 
•     2023-24 – The remaining assistant coaches and support staff will be hired. 
•     2023-24 – Signing of the first recruiting class.
•     2024-25 – The football program conducts a practice year. 
•     2024-25 and 2025-26 – The expected football roster will be named to include 60 and 90 student-athletes, respectively. 
•     Fall 2025 – First football game to be played.

• Hook 'Em 2