UTRGV commits to add FCS football by 2024

Beau Vine

20 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

What's the drive like 4-5 hours home?

Roughly 4 hours each way. I’ve made it in 3:45ish or so a few times. The drive up takes a little longer because you have to get molested at the BP checkpoint /noCR. 

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I know their first real game isnt until 2025, but Is UTRGV planning on scrimmaging other programs in 2024 or will they only have inter-squad scrimmages this year?

Is that even allowed? Seems like I heard a long time ago it isnt. 

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Is that even allowed? Seems like I heard a long time ago it isnt. 

I think new programs are allowed to have a practice year with games that don’t count. UTSA played a practice season in 2011 against teams like Minot State and Bacone before their first “official” season in 2012

On 1/29/2024 at 12:37 PM, Helobious said:

Bush has gotten like 5 of his former NB Canyon players to commit. Which is, uh, certainly a choice. Not exactly the first school I’d raid. 

Canyon has one of the top football programs in all of Comal County.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Bobcats at the Border:

HC Travis Bush - WR @ SWT, Co-OC
DC Brian Gamble - Inside Linebackers coach
OC Jeff Bowen - OL @ TXST, Interior OL coach
OC Mike Schultz - RB coach @ SWT, OC @ TXST 
DB Adrian McDonald - GA
WR Chris Brasfield - WR assistant
TE Mike Barela - TE coach
AC Nate Langford - DE @ TXST
AC Marco Regalado - TXST grad

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

I was sad to see that RGVFC went under, but good for UTRGV and I'm sure they got a good price. 

The Toros were never going to make it sadly. Soccer really isn’t that popular down there so attendance suffered, and the soccer fans that are there mostly just follow the big clubs. 

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Monterrey Tech?  Harlingen Marine Military Academy?  Port Isabel JV?

Seeing them play the MTY Borregos or UANL Tigres would be pretty cool and draw a big crowd. 

Fun facts about ONEFA: there’s like 7 or 8 teams called “Borregos Salvajes” because Monterrey Tech uses that mascot for all their campuses in the different cities. Super stupid. But the dominant one is the team at the OG campus in Monterrey. 

And today I learned that Arkansas State for some reason has a campus in Querétaro, and they have a football team there also called the Red Wolves.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:30 AM, Helobious said:

Seeing them play the MTY Borregos or UANL Tigres would be pretty cool and draw a big crowd. 

Fun facts about ONEFA: there’s like 7 or 8 teams called “Borregos Salvajes” because Monterrey Tech uses that mascot for all their campuses in the different cities. Super stupid. But the dominant one is the team at the OG campus in Monterrey. 

And today I learned that Arkansas State for some reason has a campus in Querétaro, and they have a football team there also called the Red Wolves.

aggy had a campus in Qatar……  Why can Arkansas State have a campus Queretaro?   

• 2 weeks later...

@Beau Vine if you can’t stop the train get off the fucking tracks 

https://myrgv.com/rgvsports/2024/03/14/utrgv-football-announces-matchups-vs-texas-state-in-2027-and-2030/

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) Department of Intercollegiate Athletics announced on Thursday that the UTRGV football team will visit Texas State on Sept. 11, 2027, and Sept. 14, 2030.

This marks the first announcement of games in program history, as the football team is set to play its first-ever game on Aug. 30, 2025.

“This is another milestone moment for our program, department, university and community as we take the next step toward starting a Division I football program and begin building our future schedules,” UTRGV Vice President and Director of Athletics Chasse Conque said. “This is the first of what will be many announcements as we get closer to kickoff, providing our fans exciting updates about future opponents for both home and away competitions. Playing games on the road against an NCAA Division I FBS Sun Belt Conference opponent like Texas State gives us an opportunity to gain exposure for UTRGV and the Rio Grande Valley while engaging our central Texas alumni.”

• Drool 1