Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

I am guessing his plan all along was to jump to the pros, no matter the team? I know they have the #1 pick but they are a shitty franchise.  Unless he believes he can fix it with the draft resources they now have. I knew it was never about health as to why he would not want to come to UT.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

He's a great coach.  A fantastic coach.  But if he's left two of the top college head coaching jobs for health reasons that likely have some relation to stress, the NFL will eat him alive. 

In Florida, he saw that huge pool of talent leaving and he wanted out of that sinking ship he knew was coming.

Not sure about Ohio St because they were going to be (and still are) a contender every season damn near. Maybe health related? But how health related is it when you constantly keep going to a new job after you leave the other one for "health related" issues? If it was that serious, no way does he go to the NFL. As you said, it will eat you alive if you don't succeed. His name carries no weight in the pros. Ask Nick Saban. He will at least get the top pick so all the draft picks will be really high in every round.But that team needs a ton of work to get going. Seems they have stripped down the team that just a few years ago, was a quarter away from the Super Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Doesn't Jville have a huge amount of cap space to go with a huge amount of draft picks? They aren't that far removed from playing New England for a shot to go to the Super Bowl. Is all of that talent gone? I don't follow the NFL very closely, admittedly. Seems like Khan wanting to hold onto roster control would be the biggest issue for taking that job, along with figuring out whoever the GM is, I guess. I don't know, I'd rather have that kind of draft and cap flexibility than the shit show that Houston is offering some poor bastard.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Doesn't Jville have a huge amount of cap space to go with a huge amount of draft picks? They aren't that far removed from playing New England for a shot to go to the Super Bowl. Is all of that talent gone? I don't follow the NFL very closely, admittedly. Seems like Khan wanting to hold onto roster control would be the biggest issue for taking that job, along with figuring out whoever the GM is, I guess. I don't know, I'd rather have that kind of draft and cap flexibility than the shit show that Houston is offering some poor bastard.

Most of their talent is gone from those teams.  Coughlin really screwed them up with his personnel decisions.  They traded away some of the studs off that D plus the missed on a lot of draft picks.  I dont think Urban will last more than 3 years there and he will "retire" again.

50 minutes ago, South Austin said:

He's a great coach.  A fantastic coach.  But if he's left two of the top college head coaching jobs for health reasons that likely have some relation to stress, the NFL will eat him alive. 

But I thought the "stress" was the NCAA, Jeremy Foley and Gene Smith not letting him do whatever he wanted?

• Hook 'Em 1

The best thing urban presented was a proven program builder. He would have the clout to get whatever he needed on campus to build a long term successful structure here.
Locked in Sarkisian + great hires is at least as good as unmotivated Urban and whatever coaches he hired after making sure Ohio State was cool with it.

Wish the guy luck, but I expect below average results in Jacksonville

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Being an nfl head coach is much easier than being a HC at a P5 school

Not sure that’s right. There’s more parity in the NFL. Very few Vanderbildt’s, Kentucky’s, and nonconference garbage teams to beat up in. And while you do t have to recruit,  have to manage a roster with the draft, free agency, and the salary cap. You can’t just corral as many five-stars who want to play for you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They have pieces on offense. James Robinson was a revelation as an undrafted free agent RB (my fantasy football team agrees). Chark could be a legit number 1 WR. Shenault is a good weapon in the hands of a creative OC. Our guy Collin Johnson looked pretty good as a rookie. They have some players at interior OL. Their tackles are a disaster. The defense needs to be completely reworked save for Myles Jack. The Henderson kid at cornerback they drafted showed flashes; Chaisson was mostly useless until the end.

They have draft picks and cap space, so competent leadership can flip this team into a respectable outfit in two years, maybe even one.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

These good luck responses are bullshit. Now that we know he’s not coming here, we need to ramp back up the rhetoric about how he’s a piece of shit due to the Zach smith incident, the asylum he ran in Florida, etc. You people don’t know how to whipsaw your feelings and emotions into the appropriate tenor. 

DXW.gif

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not sure that’s right. There’s more parity in the NFL. Very few Vanderbildt’s, Kentucky’s, and nonconference garbage teams to beat up in. And while you do t have to recruit,  have to manage a roster with the draft, free agency, and the salary cap. You can’t just corral as many five-stars who want to play for you.

For somebody who only cares about Xs and Os I think it can be easier.   Kliff Kingsbury was 8-8 in the NFC West, which would be his second best record at Tech.  All he has to do now is watch film and go to practice. 24/7.  He has guys to take care of all that other shit.  

• Like 1

I hope Urban enjoys that first pick in the draft so much he gets the first pick in the draft for the next two years.  He will quit midway through year three at the very most.  arthritis, kidney problems, sleep apnea, whatever he wants to bail for.  

Can you imagine watching his explode at the end of a 4-12 type season?  Ha! 

30 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

For somebody who only cares about Xs and Os I think it can be easier.   Kliff Kingsbury was 8-8 in the NFC West, which would be his second best record at Tech.  All he has to do now is watch film and go to practice. 24/7.  He has guys to take care of all that other shit.  

I can't believe I'm typing this but the Cardinals had one of the most talented rosters in the league and he only managed to go .500. I know NFC West was tough but they should have done better. Cardinals were loaded this year. 

If Kliffy goes 8-8 next year his ass is fired.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I can't believe I'm typing this but the Cardinals had one of the most talented rosters in the league and he only managed to go .500. I know NFC West was tough but they should have done better. Cardinals were loaded this year. 

Correct.

Edited by Machinator

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Kyler Murray is way too erratic and inconsistent. He was pathetic in their final 2 games. All they needed to do was win one game in their final 2 to get to the playoffs. Faced off against the 3rd stringer for a terrible SF team at home and SF led most the game and made Murray look bad. Finished the season against the Rams backup who was missing Cupp. Murray manages to score a measly 19pts combined to end the year. And going further back, they lost 6 of their last 9. And one of those wins was the desperation hail mary against Buffalo. 

Murray is going to have to get a whole lot better real fast if they are going be legit. They took steps in the right direction compared to where they were just a few years ago but this season was definitely a failure seeing as they got Hopkins for Murray and they crapped their pants in the second half of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

These good luck responses are bullshit. Now that we know he’s not coming here, we need to ramp back up the rhetoric about how he’s a piece of shit due to the Zach smith incident, the asylum he ran in Florida, etc. You people don’t know how to whipsaw your feelings and emotions into the appropriate tenor. 

What if I never stopped thinking this?  Safe to say so again or still LDE?

Edited by WBT

Kyler Murray is way too erratic and inconsistent. He was pathetic in their final 2 games. All they needed to do was win one game in their final 2 to get to the playoffs. Faced off against the 3rd stringer for a terrible SF team at home and SF led most the game and made Murray look bad. Finished the season against the Rams backup who was missing Cupp. Murray manages to score a measly 19pts combined to end the year. And going further back, they lost 6 of their last 9. And one of those wins was the desperation hail mary against Buffalo. 
Murray is going to have to get a whole lot better real fast if they are going be legit. They took steps in the right direction compared to where they were just a few years ago but this season was definitely a failure seeing as they got Hopkins for Murray and they crapped their pants in the second half of the season.
aggy lulz
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Espn has him on the hot seat, 3-6 in their last 9.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

He’s a piece of shit and I predict he fails miserably 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I honestly believe the NFL is less stressful than top college programs. You just have to make the playoffs once every 3 years to not get fired. Everyone's on basically on equal footing so the expectations are far less. In college you lose 1 game and fans/boosters lose their shit.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Cardinals have Hopkins and Murray that's it. The next best skill player is Larry Fitzgerald's corpse. Their defense is full of JAGS. Their "Big" name on defense is a safety with 2 career interceptions. When Kliff took over 2 years ago they were considered the worst roster in the league. That roster is still mostly the same. 8-8 was a disappointment after a 5-2 start but it was in line with most talk heads predictions at the start of the year.

4 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

I honestly believe the NFL is less stressful than top college programs. You just have to make the playoffs once every 3 years to not get fired. Everyone's on basically on equal footing so the expectations are far less. In college you lose 1 game and fans/boosters lose their shit.

Making the playoffs once every 3 years seems like a drastic improvement for us Dallas fans.

• Haha 1