Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

56 minutes ago, pops said:

Csb/  A good friend has been friends since childhood with jankovich at smu. So he got to know Larry brown a little bit while Janko was on his staff. Larry told him if he ever got a chance to take an NBA job (he's also a coach) do it and don't even think twice. The pros are so much easier with hardly any bullshit compared to college it isn't funny. /csb

Can't blame urban for going to a place with zero expectations and Lawrence coming in. But fuck that guy. Sark is the better long term hire. 

I agree there are things that make the NFL easier day to day. I also don't think it's especially ingenious comparing coaching an NBA team to an NFL team. 

At this point, the NFL is an easier job and it didn't used to be that way.  Now with multiple signing periods and the transfer portals, it's a beating.  The money is a push and the winning is easier in college.  If you're at a big football program, you're winning 10 games a year without really trying.  In the NFL, you're working a million hours a week every week.

Then again, he chose to live in Jacksonville, which is a shit hole that happens to be on a beach.  He could have been in Austin over J'ville surrounded by white trash and olds.

I remember when I first came to Surly, immamac or blacklab (can't remember which) said:

This is a great day for Surly fans everywhere," immamac/blacklab said in a team statement. "Steel Shank is who we want and need, a leader, winner and champion who demands excellence and produces results. While Steel already enjoys a legacy in the game of football that few will ever match, his passion for the opportunity in front of him here on Surly is powerful and unmistakable. I am proud to name Steel Shank the next head coach of the Surly."

Weird how life repeats itself.

• Hook 'Em 5

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I agree there are things that make the NFL easier day to day. I also don't think it's especially ingenious comparing coaching an NBA team to an NFL team. 

No question. Way less dudes. But to be able to skip all the bullshit with entitled teens and their entitled parents is probably worth something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Problem with the NFL is you cant always recruit another hot shit QB to take the place of the dog you have under center. If you overcommit to a guy who goes south you're screwed for years and everybody gets fired. 
See Philly and Carson Wentz. Cleveland and everybody until Baker. 
Jets and Sam Darnold. 
Tampa and Jameis Winston.
Hopefully Chicago and Mitch Trubiski. 
List goes on and on. 
tampa and tom brady

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

So is it likely that once the Jags locked in the #1 overall pick (most likely Sunshine), Urban pivoted from Texas to go all-in on the NFL? There was no doubt some flirtation between the two sides while he was talking to Texas. Or maybe he couldn't pull his OSU mafia guys to go to Austin and doesn't need them for the NFL -- or they're more likely to consider that move?

I think he would be our coach if it weren't for the Jags.

• Rage+1 1

He understands that Texas is a pressure cooker and his “health” probably wouldn’t hold up. It’ll be a lot less embarrassing to flame out from an NFL team with the smallest fan base and less pressure and expectations. He could be gone In 2 years and not flinch.

Plus it’s less pressure to challenge Saban’s legacy by attempting to succeed in the NFL rather than trying to win a title at a 3rd college program. No risk to his legacy if he fails at the NFL level especially with a shit franchise.

I’m not pissed, I wish him well and a ton of luck.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Well, yeah, college has unrestricted, no holds bar free agency while the NFL has actual contracts and restrictions on the players movement.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

At this point, the NFL is an easier job and it didn't used to be that way.  Now with multiple signing periods and the transfer portals, it's a beating.  The money is a push and the winning is easier in college.  If you're at a big football program, you're winning 10 games a year without really trying.  In the NFL, you're working a million hours a week every week.

Then again, he chose to live in Jacksonville, which is a shit hole that happens to be on a beach.  He could have been in Austin over J'ville surrounded by white trash and olds.

Austin all day over Jax, but when you have Urban money, you'll find a nice place in Jax, guaranteed.  Plus the daughter lives in Tampa

Interesting stuff in here. Urban is going to stylize himself as the Bill Belichick of the franchise, and the Jags are going to sink or swim accordingly.

Key paragraph:

That starts with how difficult his program is, which is demanding in the way Nick Saban’s is (which wasn’t a roaring success in the NFL) and Bill Belichick’s is (which has been). The key? The key will be how quickly he can give older players results. Saban’s ways grated on Dolphins players after Miami chose Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees and the losses mounted. Belichick, conversely, won a Super Bowl in his second year in New England, which gave him license to point to the trophy case if anyone complained.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So you can save the questions on whether he gets that he won’t have Percy Harvin being covered by a soon-to-be insurance salesman or Joey Bosa being blocked by a guy with a professional future in finance.

How many SEC offensive tackles majored in finance? Get the fuck outta here.

Farce the Music: Eddie Murphy Country Reaction Gifs

He's a great coach.  A fantastic coach.  But if he's left two of the top college head coaching jobs for health reasons that likely have some relation to stress, the NFL will eat him alive. 
I honestly think ncaa is worse. Zero down time with recruits. You are literally working the day after your last game, be it in november or january. Visiting or calling or zooming daily to parents who think their son is a 1st rounder to parents who want money to parents who....whatever.

When he loses a game in the pros, its just a game. 8-8 get in the playoffs all the time. 9-3 in college doesnt. Less stress.

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Holy shit he hired Scott Linehan as his OC? Lmao!!! Wow. Good luck with that. Us Dallas fans witnessed that clown for years. And wasn't the passing game coordinator for LSU's pass offense this year? Double lulz

Hasn't happened yet. But if that's his first choice...

Holy shit he hired Scott Linehan as his OC? Lmao!!! Wow. Good luck with that. Us Dallas fans witnessed that clown for years. And wasn't the passing game coordinator for LSU's pass offense this year? Double lulz

He’s in the circle... job security is guaranteed despite 25 different offensive coordinator jobs and an impressive record as head coach

1aadb381bfa0357c65b851ab4f27ef30.jpg

9 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:
12 hours ago, bullzak said:
Problem with the NFL is you cant always recruit another hot shit QB to take the place of the dog you have under center. If you overcommit to a guy who goes south you're screwed for years and everybody gets fired. 
See Philly and Carson Wentz. Cleveland and everybody until Baker. 
Jets and Sam Darnold. 
Tampa and Jameis Winston.
Hopefully Chicago and Mitch Trubiski. 
List goes on and on. 

tampa and tom brady

Trivia of the day. Bill Belichick has coached 26 years. Eighteen of those years, Tom. Brady was his quarterback. His winning percentage in those years was .760. In the eight years he coached and Brady wasn't his quarterback, his winning percentage was .460. Without Brady, Belichick has a worse record than Jeff Fischer. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Trivia of the day. Bill Belichick has coached 26 years. Eighteen of those years, Tom. Brady was his quarterback. His winning percentage in those years was .760. In the eight years he coached and Brady wasn't his quarterback, his winning percentage was .460. Without Brady, Belichick has a worse record than Jeff Fischer. 

What's Fisher's winning % without Vince Young?

Fuck Urban, fuck Bill, fuck Fisher.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, D_Goose said:

I actually think he likely considered it the opposite:  In the NFL, you can lose games and it doesn't derail your season.  And if you have a particularly bad season, you're compensated through draft picks.  For a guy that has had to avoid any losses in the college game to be considered "successful," that's way less stressful.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think that Meyer will do quite well. 

He went undefeated at Utah, he turned Florida into a power, he turned Ohio State into a power, and he gives speeches to grown men on a regular basis on the speaker circuit. 

Saban with the Dolphins was nothing like Saban of today. Meyer is like Saban today, but much taller, and more calculating. 

He will get what he wants from the owner and he will gets what he wants from his players and coaches. He won’t be Belichick with Tom Brady good, but he’ll be a better evaluator of college talent. 

Not so sure about that.  Hadn't they played in three BCS championship games in the ten years before Meyer came on board?

As for the NFL gig, the NFL is engineered for every team to go .500 every year.  The separation comes from coaching, the GM and good ownership.  Coaching is a huge question mark since, I believe, Meyer has no NFL experience whatsoever.  The GM and ownership have proven themselves to suck.  I see a Black Monday in his near future.  

For those wondering what the next health crisis will be.

The Pope has already been diagnosed, and is living on borrowed time, likely no more than two to four years, max. That is the real reason he finally opted for Florida over Texas, so Shelley can be closer to kids and grandkids. Shows his tender side winning out over eternal greatness.

The problem is related directly to the arachnoid cyst that lives in his brain. Turns out it's not a (mostly) benign cyst, it's an actual spider, growing slowly but surely, and eating the gray matter through Urban's central and peripheral nervous systems. 

28 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The problem is related directly to the arachnoid cyst that lives in his brain. Turns out it's not a (mostly) benign cyst, it's an actual spider, growing slowly but surely, and eating the gray matter through Urban's central and peripheral nervous systems. 

I've seen this movie before

image1_5ecd20f4db496.gif

Actually if you're making the move Jax is the right one on paper. More draft capital and cap room than anybody in the NFL. 

Could be a quicker turnaround that people think if they nail some draft picks the next couple of years. 

Have to think Urban actually has control of that behind the scenes. If not they are probably fucked. 

50 minutes ago, ousux said:
21 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:
Hell yeah. Now go raid the entire OSU staff and GTFO of Texas 

Lolz, tOSU would be seriously fucked if he managed to lure Ryan Day as his OC. Wont happen, still fun to imagine

Hell, even his QB coach would be fine. Just grab a few offensive guys and call it a day. Life for us will be so much easier.