Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

I’m not following your logic completely here but I’ll try really really hard. Meyer put in all that work to win a ton of football games, couple of titles, went through all that scandal so he could be on the Mt. Rushmore of ohio state coaches? His desire to be great ended by being undefeated against some of the more terrible performing Michigan teams and the thought of having to beat ohio state in a playoff game was to much to bear. That doesn’t jive with the maniacal psycho hell bent on winning at whatever cost. If dabo wins a few more titles while saban racks up a couple more nobody will even remember Meyer in 10 years. I don’t understand man, sorry. If he accepted and wins a title at Texas then he’s on THE mt Rushmore of all of college football. 

If it’s not obvious how taking a job in opposition to Ohio State might affect his legacy at Ohio State then I’m not sure I can find the words to explain it to you.

14 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

If Urban brought this clown staff to Texas, we’d be fucking furious. Jacksonville is paying Urban a $12mil/year pension.

Looking forward to watching this shit burn to the ground. Yet to be seen how Sark works out, but after watching UM fill out his Jacksonville staff with a bunch of scrubs, sure seems like we dodged a bullet. 

So, Urban's coup de grâce is is a meat-headed, racist Iowa reject? Is he just trying to prove that he can win at the highest level with mediocre assistants?
His defense of the awful hire sounds a hell of a lot like Herman defending Casey Horny. I guess that's one more thing he ripped from Meyer's playbook.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Does urban understand that he’s not in Ohio anymore?   
If you listen to some of our resident ohio state fans, meyer thinks of nothing but ohio.

Every day, in every decision he makes, he considers his love for ohio and his Ohio State legacy above all else.

Even above $50+ million in personal wealth and the opportunity for unparalleled success in the field to which he's dedicated his life, he values his perception in the hearts and minds of Ohio State fans.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Does urban understand that he’s not in Ohio anymore?   

Does he understand he isn't in college anymore? I mean why hire a college recruiting coordinator on top of all of the suspect college coaches he is loading up with? 

• Hook 'Em 1

At best Doyle is a very tone deaf hire, and at worst it's obviously something more problematic.  I think a side issue with Urban's legacy is going to be his weakness for how he hires/treats certain staff as Doyle is going to try and be connected to our friendly you know who abuser from Ohio State.  I personally think Urban's college legacy is pretty secure, and I actually have a much lower opinion of Ohio State as an institution (how they handled everything and still kept on Urban after the fact) than Urban, but maybe that could change if Doyle blows up negatively with Jacksonville.       

Edited by UTDD
typo

5 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

If you listen to some of our resident ohio state fans, meyer thinks of nothing but ohio.

Every day, in every decision he makes, he considers his love for ohio and his Ohio State legacy above all else.

Even above $50+ million in personal wealth and the opportunity for unparalleled success in the field to which he's dedicated his life, he values his perception in the hearts and minds of Ohio State fans.

He’s undefeated against Michigan man, what else matters? If he completely derails in Florida it’s all a master plan to make his Ohio state resume even better. andy dwyer i have no idea what im doing GIF

It’s amazing how much some of these coaches consider their own opinions to be above all others and without regard to the situations they are in. Something is wrong with Urban if he took nothing away from Zach Smith episode other than it was an unjust crusade against him.

I personally don’t think it would have been as big of a problem with the players on the team (spoiler: Black people in all walks of life and sports in particular are used to working with people who have stereotypic views against them if not outright prejudice even) especially if it all translated to winning but you have to wonder at the arrogance that leads to making what is essentially an unforced error here and bringing that sort of negativity to the team.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, naija said:

It’s amazing how much some of these coaches consider their own opinions to be above all others and without regard to the situations they are in. Something is wrong with Urban if he took nothing away from Zach Smith episode other than it was an unjust crusade against him.

I personally don’t think it would have been as big of a problem with the players on the team (spoiler: Black people in all walks of life and sports in particular are used to working with people who have stereotypic views against them if not outright prejudice even) especially if it all translated to winning but you have to wonder at the arrogance that leads to making what is essentially an unforced error here and bringing that sort of negativity to the team.

Urban Meyer is a human piece of shit. The people who were demanding he be brought on the the UT Austin campus have zero consideration for anyone or anything other than their own mental weaknesses and emotional emptiness. 

Fuck you, Urban. And fuck all your worthless apologists. 

How people with no principles get influence on college athletics programs escapes me. It is a sickness that is very prevalent in too many programs, including ours. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

.....and somehow, Randy comes out of the Urban saga smelling like a fuckin rose.

This one was easy. The people who go through life addressing problems by sacrificing their ethical purposes on w whim need to be stood up to and told to go to Hell. We're Texas. We are supposed to be able to find solutions to difficult problems without having to wallow in the mud that defines programs such as Oklahoma, aggy, Ohio State, etc.

What galls me is that the people who insisted on hiring Charlie Strong got it wrong. The people who insisted on hiring Tom Herman got it wrong. The people who insisted on hiring Urban Meyer got it wrong.

Those people get to hide in the shadows and continue to try to do long-term damage to the UT athletics programs. They need to be publicly identified and eliminated from further discussions on the subject. They are idiots who care nothing about UT, UT athletics, or our collective long term interests. They are self-serving vermin.

Student athletes come to Texas to win championships and be around other athletes who win championships. We need to quit indulging those UT alumni who believe turning any UT student into a scumbag is the right thing to do. If an student athlete wants to become a scumbag and win championships, let them go to OU. If they want to become scumbags and win nothing, let them become aggys.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Sark tried this shit though with Stoops. Don't forget. 

Stoops was shitcanned because of his extensive history of vile and despicable statements made against UT Austin. That, and his extremely mediocre track record as a position coach and a head coach.

In the coaching ranks, there is a strong tendency for head coaches to give positions to fallen colleagues. This, with the understanding at some time in every coach's career, he will need to rebuild his career and/ or his reputation. Saban had done this extensively. Herman did it with Casey Horny. They subordinate the interests of the program to their own personal interests, specifically their relationship with colleagues in the profession.

I don't think Sarkisian had any knowledge just how vile some of the statements Stoops has made. Some of us spoke up against the Casey Horny hiring. Thank God that finally those of us who believe coaches should never subordinate the interests of the programs for personal interests know they do it at their own risk.

And to think there were people who demanded Urban Meyer be hired and given complete control over UT athletics, unaccountable to anyone on a daily basis.

Sark gave a career lifeline to Stoops because that is the coaching culture. It had nothing to do with looking the other way at deeply unethical practices. Had Stoops wanted to join any staff other than Texas', he would have been hired. We knew Stoops better than Sark knew Stoops. The incident should be a cautionary tale, not a reason to question Sark's ethics or judgement.

36 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Stoops was shitcanned because of his extensive history of vile and despicable statements made against UT Austin. That, and his extremely mediocre track record as a position coach and a head coach.

In the coaching ranks, there is a strong tendency for head coaches to give positions to fallen colleagues. This, with the understanding at some time in every coach's career, he will need to rebuild his career and/ or his reputation. Saban had done this extensively. Herman did it with Casey Horny. They subordinate the interests of the program to their own personal interests, specifically their relationship with colleagues in the profession.

I don't think Sarkisian had any knowledge just how vile some of the statements Stoops has made. Some of us spoke up against the Casey Horny hiring. Thank God that finally those of us who believe coaches should never subordinate the interests of the programs for personal interests know they do it at their own risk.

And to think there were people who demanded Urban Meyer be hired and given complete control over UT athletics, unaccountable to anyone on a daily basis.

Sark gave a career lifeline to Stoops because that is the coaching culture. It had nothing to do with looking the other way at deeply unethical practices. Had Stoops wanted to join any staff other than Texas', he would have been hired. We knew Stoops better than Sark knew Stoops. The incident should be a cautionary tale, not a reason to question Sark's ethics or judgement.

That is complete conjecture. We don't know what Sark knew or was told unless I missed something. 

Most of us fall into at least one of those categories. 

Yeah, it's pretty stupid to throw the "idiot" label on people who supported hiring the consensus best coach available on two out of the three occasions (Urban and mensa). This thread is masturbatory as hell. "You didn't dump me, I dumped you!"

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Who's feeling pretty damn good about the Sark hire tonight?

I know I am!

gotta say, as soon as it was announced my brother (UW alumni) started talking mad shit and I was listening to it. I had some apprehensions because of his past issues sure, but on the other hand sarks upside had so much potential. 

Now that he’s here, gotten things going and I’ve had time to temper my emotions I can see a simple truth: that my bro had every right to feel the way he did because of his experiences, but those experiences don’t necessarily affect our future.

It’s obvious that sark is taking this job seriously, he is trying to be the best coach he can physically be with the best support staff he can possibly have. That takes some of the pressure/stress off his plate and as a perfectionist it allows him to keep his sanity. That’s impressive to me and shows some self understanding that I wish I had.

I’m excited about the future of our guys on the team, but I’m also hooked on this story and want to see it play out.  

7 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, it's pretty stupid to throw the "idiot" label on people who supported hiring the consensus best coach available on two out of the three occasions (Urban and mensa). This thread is masturbatory as hell. "You didn't dump me, I dumped you!"

How many times does “the consensus” have get it wrong before you get the hint that using “the consensus” gets you nowhere? 

What we need is a new approach. We’re not getting “it.” 

(I apologize for not keeping this below 140 characters, for those who live in that world.)

Red got it right on Charlie and got roasted. Let’s not forget that. 

As soon as Herman hired Casey Horny, alarm bells went off for some of us. 

The ones who insisted on Urban fucking Meyer are a cancer on the program. 

Lets start by identifying those who wanted Urban and giving them the same treatment Red got for questioning the hire of Charlie. Can we agree on that? 

Allowing the same people to continue to use the same "consensus" to hire wrong coach after wrong coach isn't a prescription for success. Identify those who were involved in past mistakes, remove them, upgrade.

Or not.

Because, you know, the same people who haven't gotten anything right for years and who insist only they can be allowed to make decisions will eventually get it right.

Or not.

Edited by Randolph Duke

On 1/31/2021 at 5:23 PM, closetohumping said:

He didn't specify.  My guess would be Canes.  I'm sure Deloss would've had the balls to call even when he was with the Canes.

If Dodds reached out as Fred was fading, he would have been a smart man.  Jimmy had already won the 1983 nc, and was a super hot commodity.  The great thing about the situation was everybody knew Fred was dead man walking for 2 years so DD had plenty of time to get DKRs blessing for hiring JJ. Being from Port Arthur, JJ could have gotten Texas hs coaches behind him.

my conclusion is DKR must have said no, or DD did not have the confidence to pull the trigger.  He only had 5 years as AD at Texas in 1986.