Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

How many times does “the consensus” have get it wrong before you get the hint that using “the consensus” gets you nowhere? 

What we need is a new approach. We’re not getting “it.” 

(I apologize for not keeping this below 140 characters, for those who live in that world.)

Red got it right on Charlie and got roasted. Let’s not forget that. 

As soon as Herman hired Casey Horny, alarm bells went off for some of us. 

The ones who insisted on Urban fucking Meyer are a cancer on the program. 

Lets start by identifying those who wanted Urban and giving them the same treatment Red got for questioning the hire of Charlie. Can we agree on that? 

Allowing the same people to continue to use the same "consensus" to hire wrong coach after wrong coach isn't a prescription for success. Identify those who were involved in past mistakes, remove them, upgrade.

Or not.

Because, you know, the same people who haven't gotten anything right for years and who insist only they can be allowed to make decisions will eventually get it right.

Or not.

I choose to believe UM's staff at Texas would've been better because it's a better job than Jax, but in hindsight it does look like we made a better choice with Sark. 

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

If Dodds reached out as Fred was fading, he would have been a smart man.  Jimmy had already won the 1983 nc, and was a super hot commodity.  The great thing about the situation was everybody knew Fred was dead man walking for 2 years so DD had plenty of time to get DKRs blessing for hiring JJ. Being from Port Arthur, JJ could have gotten Texas hs coaches behind him.

my conclusion is DKR must have said no, or DD did not have the confidence to pull the trigger.  He only had 5 years as AD at Texas in 1986.  

Per jimmy he just wanted to live in Miami 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Urban isn't going to win in Jacksonville. He's not going to "out-talent" anyone. I don't care about the guy one way or another, but I just don't see it happening, even with Lawrence at the helm.

He seems even more unsuitable for the job than I previously thought, and I already thought it was a horrible fit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t know or care what happens in Jax, but maybe Urban Meyer = Jimmy Johnson, a la Dallas Cowboys?
JJ coached in a totally different era, and even he knew when to quit the NFL coaching thing..his style doesnt mesh well with millionaire prima donnas unless you consistently play in Superbowls..or at least get to the Championship game. Jerrah caught lightning in a bottle, wont happen again as long as he's still breathing.

I hate urban and I thought they would suck, but after they got the Etienne pick they will probably have a fun offense to watch. Isn't Charlie strong out there too?

Piss poor division is up for grabs, they probably make the playoffs at 9-8

On 5/2/2021 at 2:10 PM, Zeus said:

I hate urban and I thought they would suck, but after they got the Etienne pick they will probably have a fun offense to watch. Isn't Charlie strong out there too?

While I get what you're saying, we all thought the same thing with Chip Kelly. These kinds of guys are just mentally capable of coaching college because there's just so much more parity. Every team he faces will basically have as many if not more "All-Americans", and we've seen how well that goes. I just think this is a massive failure, especially for $75m. 

But hey, who knows, we could be wrong. He has Lawrence and Etienne, but not a good o-line. And their defense has been decimated from that 2017 team.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:10 PM, Zeus said:

Gonna take a while to get used to these new numbers. Context aside, it's worse than 9-7, but better than 8-8. No idea if that regularly will make the playoffs or come up a bit short. Will 11-6 be as automatic as 12-4 to make the playoffs? Will 6-11 get you fired? Will The Legend of Fisher become a new bedtime story where youngsters learn about a before time when you could lose as much as you win and still keep a job?

Big questions/concerns (Urban adjusting to the NFL aside) are:

a) How long until Lawrence settles in?

b) Their tackles are below-average. Walker Little might be good in time, but he's a rookie.

c) Defense is a bunch of no-namers after Myles Jack and the other Josh Allen (and I'm stretching the limit of name recognition here). They need some of their recent draft picks and free agents to hit. Henderson was hit or miss last year and Chaisson sucked.

The optimistic outcome is that Wentz is a disaster in Indianapolis, Watson doesn't play for Houston, and they get the teams from their last-place schedule (Broncos, Bengals, Jets) at the right time to fatten up the W-L record and become a feisty team to end the season, finishing in the fringe of wild card territory.

Urban would've absolutely crushed it in Austin but he wasn't a long-term fix. And I think he's a horrible fit for the NFL. I think his ceiling is about what Saban did with the Dolphins.

I have high hopes for Sarkisian at Texas.

54 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is not college. These players are not going to look up to him like some god. His name means nada in the pros right now. He is not going to motivate these players to be better than other team's players.

Pizza at halftime! 

Ba8irfrCYAAJgnb.jpg

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I think Saban is better suited for the NFL than Urban.   Urban might end up with a better record because Saban had a shitty Miami team and went back to college really quickly, whereas Urban probably will have some success no matter what he does as long as Lawrence lives up to the hype.   But Saban strikes me as much more process oriented and willing to adapt than Urban in terms of on-field schemes.  Saban's approach with players and staff (even though he's a cold bastard) also seems more business-like than Urban.  Saban doesn't have time for rah-rah shit,  runny eggs mind games, and all that stuff Herman tried to co-opt from Urban.   His message is just follow the process and do your job.

The Saban we have now is far different from the Saban years ago. He grew as a coach and I think his NFL stint helped him. I think going back to the pros now he’d have a much better outcome. 

21 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The Saban we have now is far different from the Saban years ago. He grew as a coach and I think his NFL stint helped him. I think going back to the pros now he’d have a much better outcome. 

Yeah, Saban went 9-7 with 34-year-old Gus Frerotte at QB in Year 1 and then started 1-6 in Year 2 with Joey Harrington as his primary QB. Daunte Culpepper and Cleo Lemon took snaps at QB that year when the Dolphins finished 6-10. Give Saban and Urban equal NFL talent and I'll take Saban any day of the week.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is not college. These players are not going to look up to him like some god. His name means nada in the pros right now. He is not going to motivate these players to be better than other team's players.

Years ago someone said that NFL coaches fail in college because they don’t respect the players and college coaches fail in the NFL because the players don’t respect the coaches.

58 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Years ago someone said that NFL coaches fail in college because they don’t respect the players and college coaches fail in the NFL because the players don’t respect the coaches.

That’s why you go young and find young team leaders. 

Jimmy Johnson churned through tons of you players from Miami or that he recruited. He had Irvin and Aikman... and Moose in his corner and added Emmitt and then Russell Maryland early on. 

Meyer will have his Golden QB and potentially his RB1 (in waiting) in his corner if current RB1 & RB2 get whiny. 

He seems to know how to get team leaders to buy in and that’s all he needs. Fringe players are expendable. 

The problem with Meyer is when an article came out that he let superstars get away with whatever they wanted and treated others like shit, it won't fly in the NFL. He won't be throwing Gatorade bottles at players or he'll get his ass beaten. We saw how his "heart problems" came about when he lost the locker room at Florida. He's now in a field where you have to deal with dudes who care about money and won't let Urbs talk shit to them. He's in for a rude awakening. 

On 2/15/2021 at 6:44 AM, Bevo14 said:

Jacksonville owner:

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

On 5/2/2021 at 9:52 AM, TexMexBuddha said:

Thank f'n goodness my intuition was wrong in this case, and Urban is not the coach we needed.

Ooof.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:21 PM, Deej said:

We dodged a bullet 

39 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I’m so glad we missed out on the performance art monstrosity that is about to take place in Jax.

Tim Tebow a TE for Jax

Yeah, this is looking more and more like what happened when we missed out on Gary Barnett.

Also, I'm pretty sure we've heard this story before. A legendary coach who won a national title at UF gets an NFL job and brings along the QB he won it with, despite said QB's dubious abilities at the next level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Urban will be on his ass in less than 3 years

And how many millions of dollars richer? And still living next to, and golfing on, Jack’s course in Muirfield.

Whew! You dodged a bullet. You never wanted those grapes anyway. Lulz. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/5/2021 at 3:32 PM, Napoleon said:

That’s why you go young and find young team leaders. 

Jimmy Johnson churned through tons of you players from Miami or that he recruited. He had Irvin and Aikman... and Moose in his corner and added Emmitt and then Russell Maryland early on. 

Meyer will have his Golden QB and potentially his RB1 (in waiting) in his corner if current RB1 & RB2 get whiny. 

He seems to know how to get team leaders to buy in and that’s all he needs. Fringe players are expendable. 

the next big quote from urban

"the heart problem field is over there -->>"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Double meat burgers suck.

Yep I said it.

I rarely get fast food, but if I do, it is in the fried chicken family, I never get hamburgers from a fast food joint.  

But if that changes in the future, it will be to get a Double-Double Animal Style w/Grilled Onions from IN-N-OUT.

[full stop]

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1