Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Let's not kid ourselves, Barry just shut his mouth and let what Jimmy built do what it did. One could never accuse Barry of being an intelligent man, but he wasn't stupid.

This....  He pretty much took the wheel from Jimmy.   Once the car started losing some parts, he started the two plus decades now of mediocrity in Dallas of course with that train being driven primarily by Jerry Jones.   Switzer, Campo, Parcells,  et.al  all where Jerry's scapegoats to some extent.    I never thought even under the perfect scenario Switzer would have been a long term Coach for Dallas because of his persona.    His wheel house was trying to persuade parents to send their kids  to that shit hole in Norman and he managed to do this well.   Negotiating and managing  millionaires is a different animal...  Especially when 55 of them have their own egos and are pretty much primadonnas.    This is where the college coach who goes NFL gets the burnout quick and starts begging for a job back in the college ranks.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

He’s quit coaching multiple times at this point and now flamed out horribly in the NFL after being away from the game a while and absolutely phoning it in with his assistant hires, all while being a notorious dick. I think he’s clearly past his prime. Maybe he’s got another good run in him in college but I sure wouldn’t feel assured about the future if we hired him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Pete Carroll is an interesting study also:

10 years as a college assistant

10 years NFL assistant

4 mediocre years NFL head coach

9 years as very successful college head coach (including best team EVAAAAHHHH) ha ha

going on 12 years as a successful Super Bowl winning (should have been 2) NFL head coach.

Seems like generally a pretty nice guy.

Very true.  Seems like more of a player’s coach than some of the other names that crossed over from college to pros and perhaps therein lies his success at the pro level

When has a completely sociopathic, anti social, asshole coach ever worked out at UT? Two best coaches in school history maintained good guy outward appearances and handled the external distractions well. Urban is the opposite of that, at Florida and OSU he was never questioned and never challenged, which we know would never have been the case here. He would have failed miserably here and he knew it so he didn't take the job.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/14/2021 at 6:47 PM, Napoleon said:

I think that Meyer will do quite well. 

He went undefeated at Utah, he turned Florida into a power, he turned Ohio State into a power, and he gives speeches to grown men on a regular basis on the speaker circuit. 

Saban with the Dolphins was nothing like Saban of today. Meyer is like Saban today, but much taller, and more calculating. 

He will get what he wants from the owner and he will gets what he wants from his players and coaches. He won’t be Belichick with Tom Brady good, but he’ll be a better evaluator of college talent. 

NAILED IT!!!!

Call me fucking "Notre Dumbass"!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

When has a completely sociopathic, anti social, asshole coach ever worked out at UT? Two best coaches in school history maintained good guy outward appearances and handled the external distractions well. Urban is the opposite of that, at Florida and OSU he was never questioned and never challenged, which we know would never have been the case here. He would have failed miserably here and he knew it so he didn't take the job.  

Uh...he was suspended at OSU which led to his resignation.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Why is everyone assuming that his failures are due to unexpected challenges that the NFL presents, and not because he is past his prime?  Some desperate school may overlook the fact that he is a shitty human being, and give him a chance to recapture his legacy, but I sure as hell hope it isn't Texas.  

I don't have a crystal ball here but I remember a lot of people saying the same thing about Saban when he fizzled at Miami 15 years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t remember who said it. Maybe it was Jimmy Johnson who said college coaches fail in the NFL because they don’t respect their players and NFL players as a result don’t respect them. You can’t be a parental authority figure to grown ass men, even if they need it.

Barry and Jimmy respected their players. You know they rolled around in the shit with them. Hookers and blow, etc. Yeah, they’d bench your ass for underperforming but as long as you performed, you could do what you wanted.

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Let's not kid ourselves, Barry just shut his mouth and let what Jimmy built do what it did. One could never accuse Barry of being an intelligent man, but he wasn't stupid.

I was listening to The Ticket yesterday and they were talking about the differences between Barry and Jimmy. I forget the context because Urban hadn't been fired yet, maybe they were talking about the differences in college and the NFL. At any rate, I'd heard this before but one of the guys said the difference in style from Jimmy to Barry was that Barry treated the players like men. Jimmy belittled them and rode them hard, which worked with his young roster. It was not going to work forever. I find that an interesting take.

I like to think of Swiitzer as a colossal boob but he was a good fit for that Cowboys team at that time and I think that group of players got the same number of rings with the Jimmy-Barry tandem as they would've if Jimmy hadn't divorced Jerry after the second SB. In other words, the Cowboys would NOT have won four in a row. They might've won that third one under Jimmy but it wouldn't have gotten the fourth.

All that said, Jimmy built that juggernaut. Switzer never would've pulled that off.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Did you fall for the tennis ball trick again?

Yeah, and the amazing thing is she got the whole can of three up in there. 

I'm guessing Urban's gonna have a cooling off period for 2022 season and be hired somewhere again in 2023.  Maybe here, probably not.

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, and the amazing thing is she got the whole can of three up in there. 

I'm guessing Urban's gonna have a cooling off period for 2022 season and be hired somewhere again in 2023.  Maybe here, probably not.

Will Urban have to go through the Saban Ex Head Coaching Rehab School? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Louis Riddick did not hold back.

he'll pull a Spurrier because he seems like a guy that won't want this to be the last word on him.

OSU and Florida won't want him back.

I could see someone like Auburn taking a shot with him maybe even Florida State.

I was listening to The Ticket yesterday and they were talking about the differences between Barry and Jimmy. I forget the context because Urban hadn't been fired yet, maybe they were talking about the differences in college and the NFL. At any rate, I'd heard this before but one of the guys said the difference in style from Jimmy to Barry was that Barry treated the players like men. Jimmy belittled them and rode them hard, which worked with his young roster. It was not going to work forever. I find that an interesting take.
I like to think of Swiitzer as a colossal boob but he was a good fit for that Cowboys team at that time and I think that group of players got the same number of rings with the Jimmy-Barry tandem as they would've if Jimmy hadn't divorced Jerry after the second SB. In other words, the Cowboys would NOT have won four in a row. They might've won that third one under Jimmy but it wouldn't have gotten the fourth.
All that said, Jimmy built that juggernaut. Switzer never would've pulled that off.

You need to put the crack pipe down if you think Jimmy Johnson wouldn’t have done at least as well as dipshit Switzer.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'd love to hear some serious discussion on what the hell happened. I've just never seen anything like it in sport. That press conference the other day where he just looked defeated was crazy.

Is it that he can't handle losing? Even if you're not a good NFL coach versus college, the entire psychological and behavioral part of it has just been weird. You wouldn't think a football coach -- especially one so successful --  would be so mentally fragile without the tools to seemingly get through it. He just seemed to spiral.

2 hours ago, DiceHands said:

As someone who wanted Meyer before we fired Herman, I am glad I was wrong because he seems like a fuck.  Keep his ass away from UT.

Completely Agree! **

**If he is hired by UT and wins us a championship or two, then I completely disagree.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

ridiculous.  Jimmy would have won 4 maybe 5 in  a row.  the whole thing went to shit when Switzer showed up.  Aikman kept it together for a couple of years and Neil O Donnell gift wrapped them a Super Bowl.  Switzer was an idiot.

Jimmy belittled the guys that weren't good enough and rode hard the guys he needed to, to win.

• Hook 'Em 1

My favorite Jimmy story was when he cut dumbass aggy John Roper because he fell asleep in a meeting. Later he would say, absolutely I had different standards for different players, would not have cut Troy if he fell asleep in a meeting because he was Troy fucking Aikman.

Point is, decent chance Jimmy might have been sharp enough to adjust where needed.

Just now, DiceHands said:

I think you can get rid of the *.  Urban's career in any capacity of football (even as a commentator) are donezoes. 

not a chance.  there are dozens of universities that will hire him if he wants to coach in college again.  does he want to?  who knows?

21 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He has had a major scandal at every place he has been. I think we can officially consider it a bullet dodged. 

I don't think he had a major scandal at Bowling Green or Utah.  And I doubt Florida and Ohio State fans would trade those scandals for the championships.  I'm not advocating that Texas court Meyer again, should our head coaching position become available.  But he's an example of how successful assholes like him (see, e.g., Bobby Petrino) can find gainful employment unless they did something like kill a nun or leave a program with crippling NCAA sanctions.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't think he had a major scandal at Bowling Green or Utah.  And I doubt Florida and Ohio State fans would trade those scandals for the championships.  I'm not advocating that Texas court Meyer again, should our head coaching position become available.  But he's an example of how successful assholes like him (see, e.g., Bobby Petrino) can find gainful employment unless they did something like kill a nun or leave a program with crippling NCAA sanctions.

Urban cooked up and ate his own rat poison. We dodged a dumpster fire. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

he'll pull a Spurrier because he seems like a guy that won't want this to be the last word on him.

OSU and Florida won't want him back.

I could see someone like Auburn taking a shot with him maybe even Florida State.

Agreed, no way he let's this be "the last word on him".  That said, he likely is only going to schools where he believes he can dominate.  Most of those schools either don't need coaches or just hired them this month.  He will be at Texas or FSU next November.  

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

And this is why I ignore people who give me shit about what I post. 

People who supported the idea of Urban Meyer as head football coach at UT Austin need to ask themselves what they missed about Urban and how they intend to avoid the same fucking mistake next time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Jimmy belittled them and rode them hard, which worked with his young roster. It was not going to work forever. I find that an interesting take.

This is a very astute point. Jimmy drafted and signed a bunch of really young guys and they came up in his system and formed the successful organization that it was. He didn't inherit a bunch of older players and there wasn't an ego issue there. 

Again, Barry probably deserves his own praise too for not fucking with the system and realizing what he was dealing with. Barry let it ride and it paid off with three divisional championships and a Super Bowl and then he was smart enough further to realize the run was over after the fourth year and resigned on his own. 

Still a POS but a smart POS for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

My guess is he disappears for a season, goes back to a pre-game show for a season or two, then gets hired by a school like Oregon or Miami. 

I can see this, and I assume you mean pre-game college show. I don't think anyone wants to hear him talk about the NFL now.  And he definitely has to disappear for a year, at least, but you have to wonder if his ego would allow that.

Meyer may be past his prime but him flaming out in Jacksonville is not, imo, that persuasive of evidence.  Having success in Jacksonville vs at a big time P5 job like Texas require substantially different skills and Meyer was just not a good fit for the NFL.  To look at it the other way, would anyone really be that excited if somehow we hired Kliff given the success he's had with the Cardinals?