Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

A coach like Urban or Saban could and perhaps did look at our talent levels the years they were asked to step in and say thanks but no thanks. I know a lot of y'all seem to think the mere presence of those dudes on the sidelines equates to 11 wins and playoff appearances, even with Tyrone Swoopes at QB or (whoever exactly was our star defensive player this year) and a roster otherwise as devoid of draft picks as some mid-tier MAC team, but that's not how it works. You don't win Daytona in a Kia even if you are Dale Earnhardt. So they know their reputations would take a hit. They are too old and ornery to sweat out five- and six- win seasons trying to get shit back on track, to there is no way in hell they would come here at this stage in their careers. They have been there and done that and the process sucks ass. We'd have a *serious* fire Urban / Saban thread up before non-conference in year two if that coach dropped a single game that year after a five or six-win season the year before. And yet some of our fans seem to think these guys dream of coming here and subjecting themselves to years of stress and humiliation because why? We're Texas? 

Coaches like those two are smart enough to know when they can parachute into a situation where there's a loaded young roster and they can start out with some goodwill. Or, in the old days, they could manage expectations. You can bet Mack Brown wasn't promising Tarheel boosters perennial Peach Bowl bids during his first two seasons when he went 2-20 at UNC. I can't think of the last time a coach at a major-ish program has even tried that, though. Just come out and said give me two years to suck and by year three we'll hace this thing humming along smooth.

DEC 18, 2021                 ZACH BARNETT

Jaguars reportedly fired Urban Meyer for cause

Meyer's 13-game NFL tenure was a disaster in every way imaginable.

• The Urban Meyer Experiment in Jacksonville is over, ending quickly and dramatically in a puff of smoke. So bad that, according to ESPN, Meyer was fired for cause -- meaning he will not see the remainder of his contract. 

Details of Meyer's contract were never confirmed publicly, but it's believed he signed a 5-year deal worth between $9 and $12 million annually.

The firing came about late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning, hours after the Tampa Bay Times published former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo's account of being kicked by his former head coach. 

"I'm in a lunge position. Left leg forward, right leg back," Lambo told Stroud. "... Urban Meyer, while I'm in that stretch position, comes up to me and says, 'Hey Dips--t, make your f--king kicks!' And kicks me in the leg."

The timing of the two events led the public to believe Lambo's account was a straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back situation, following the fiasco of October when Meyer was caught "socializing" with women who weren't his wife at his Columbus sports bar following a Thursday night loss to Cincinnati.

"I informed Urban of the change this evening," owner Shad Khan. "As I stated in October, regaining our trust and respect was essential.

"Regrettably, it did not happen."

However, a Jaguars source told the Associated Press the timing of the Times story and Meyer's firing were coincidental; Khan decided to move on following the club's 20-0 loss to Tennessee on Sunday. 

A conversation Khan and Meyer had in the locker room after that shutout -- Meyer had few answers for the team's woes or how he planned to fix them -- sealed a decision Khan had been mulling for weeks.

Still, if Meyer chooses to pursue the balance of his contract through the courts or arbitration within the NFL system (which often involves a ruling by commissioner Roger Goodell, Khan's employee), Lambo's story will bolster the club's case against its former coach. (Meyer has denied Lambo's account of events.)

In 11 months' time, Meyer managed to flush away any public good will he had left and, reportedly, a $50 million contract.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:36 AM, closetohumping said:

Per a sportsbybrooks report, carol folt, the president , killed it

Pretty much true, though not reported on heavily. After the Tyndall fiasco and settlement, USC hired Carol Folt to clean up the mess. Considering her tenure at UNC, there was ZERO chance any huge moves were going to be made, particularly with Meyer’s background. So, we were stuck with an-shucks Gomes Helton. And yet we just hired a land-thief, so what the hell do I know?

1 hour ago, USC_TMB said:

Pretty much true, though not reported on heavily. After the Tyndall fiasco and settlement, USC hired Carol Folt to clean up the mess. Considering her tenure at UNC, there was ZERO chance any huge moves were going to be made, particularly with Meyer’s background. So, we were stuck with an-shucks Gomes Helton. And yet we just hired a land-thief, so what the hell do I know?

Actually Riley is Texas born and a Tech grad, plus coaching there for 10 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

No wonder he doesn’t want to coach in college any more.  Before the portal, if you told anyone about bullshit like that PowerPoint you’d be run to death, benched, and/or cut, and have to sit out a year.  Now the player holds all the cards and Urban’s schtick won’t work.  At least he’s smart enough to realize that.  

• 2 months later...

"Crushed it in NCAA football.  Coached a major NFL franchise.  Center of massive media attention.  And all I got was this stupid 'taint-shit'...I mean 'tee-shirt'!"  

• 4 months later...