Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

Problem with the NFL is you cant always recruit another hot shit QB to take the place of the dog you have under center. If you overcommit to a guy who goes south you're screwed for years and everybody gets fired. 

See Philly and Carson Wentz. Cleveland and everybody until Baker. 

Jets and Sam Darnold. 

Tampa and Jameis Winston.

Hopefully Chicago and Mitch Trubiski. 

List goes on and on. 

I think that Meyer will do quite well. 

He went undefeated at Utah, he turned Florida into a power, he turned Ohio State into a power, and he gives speeches to grown men on a regular basis on the speaker circuit. 

Saban with the Dolphins was nothing like Saban of today. Meyer is like Saban today, but much taller, and more calculating. 

He will get what he wants from the owner and he will gets what he wants from his players and coaches. He won’t be Belichick with Tom Brady good, but he’ll be a better evaluator of college talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

He's a great (college) coach.  A fantastic (college) coach.  But if he's left two of the top college head coaching jobs for health reasons that likely have some relation to stress, the NFL will eat him alive. 

I don't see his skill set easily translating to the NFL. I root for his failure. My guess is he'll be looking for a landing spot back in college football in 2-3 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

So is it likely that once the Jags locked in the #1 overall pick (most likely Sunshine), Urban pivoted from Texas to go all-in on the NFL? There was no doubt some flirtation between the two sides while he was talking to Texas. Or maybe he couldn't pull his OSU mafia guys to go to Austin and doesn't need them for the NFL -- or they're more likely to consider that move?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don't see his skill set easily translating to the NFL. I root for his failure. My guess is he'll be looking for a landing spot back in college football in 2-3 years.

Agreed. Dude is obviously smart as hell, but he also beat down a lot of teams on talent alone. I have nothing to base this on, and haven't looked at any stats but I think teams caught up to that Herman QB run offense. Clemson didn't even sweat when they played a few years ago. I think Day has really transformed the Ohio State offense. If you can't just out muscle everyone, you might be in for another heart attack 

26 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Problem with the NFL is you cant always recruit another hot shit QB to take the place of the dog you have under center. If you overcommit to a guy who goes south you're screwed for years and everybody gets fired. 

Jets and Sam Darnold. 

List goes on and on. 

Yep. And there is no guarantee Lawrence doesn't disappoint. 

This just in, all Ohio State fans are now Jacksonville Jaguars fans.

Ohio State’s new fight song for the Jaguars:
In Jacksonville there’s a team that’s known across the land. Their new coach used to coach a Fanbase other fans can’t stand. 
And when the ball goes over, 
Their cheers will reach the sky, 
TIAA Stadium will hear again 
The Jaguar Battle Cry! 

Drive, Drive on down the field, 
Men of the black and teal; 
Don't let them through that line, 
We've got a victory to steal, 
COME ON JAGS! 
Smash through to victory, 
We cheer you as we will! 
Our honor defend we will fight to the end for JACKSONVILLE!

I'm really excited for Sark but gotta admit I'm a little pissed that we didn't get Urban Meyer because of the freaking JAGUARS

That said, I do not see him being particularly successful there and certainly not within the next 2-3 years. Dropping bags, instilling a college kid discipline regime, and holding extra practices behind beyond what's allowed isn't going to work in the NFL.

Funny no one really seemed to be taking the Urban to Jacksonville possibility too seriously a few weeks ago. At least not that I noticed from my time in the infamous Urban thread. Then again, I might've missed the discussion somewhere in between all the anal self-fisting, little dick/big dick, McRib circle jerk we were having.

Csb/  A good friend has been friends since childhood with jankovich at smu. So he got to know Larry brown a little bit while Janko was on his staff. Larry told him if he ever got a chance to take an NBA job (he's also a coach) do it and don't even think twice. The pros are so much easier with hardly any bullshit compared to college it isn't funny. /csb

Can't blame urban for going to a place with zero expectations and Lawrence coming in. But fuck that guy. Sark is the better long term hire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jets and Sam Darnold. 
List goes on and on. 

This is sorta off. Starts reasonable then the examples are off.

The Browns teams were poor across the board. Now not so much. Tampa got rid of Jameis after last year and now are two wins away from the SB. With the Eagles it remains to be seen. I'm not sure the Jets or Bears overcommitted. The Jets are poor across the board. They overcommitted to Bell then didn't fully use him. The Bears lack an oline and have for years. The Bears even brought in a super bowl champ but couldn't produce points.

3 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I hope Urban enjoys that first pick in the draft so much he gets the first pick in the draft for the next two years.  He will quit midway through year three at the very most.  arthritis, kidney problems, sleep apnea, whatever he wants to bail for.  

Can you imagine watching his explode at the end of a 4-12 type season?  Ha! 

thats a lot of pizza 

sadpizza_medium.gif

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I think that Meyer will do quite well. 

He went undefeated at Utah, he turned Florida into a power, he turned Ohio State into a power, and he gives speeches to grown men on a regular basis on the speaker circuit. 

Yeah Tressel really left that place in shambles. 

image.png.f650772061eb1b2ff631416fb3b7e422.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

The NFL really missed out here. Urban should have been named the Warden of Las Vegas.  He should be wearing silver and black and stocking his teams with Roided up criminals. Instead he will be prancing around in those jaggy unis. I bet in about 2 years he will feign some bullshit illness when he can’t get “his team” to show up to work. 

• Hook 'Em 1