Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

28 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Urban definitely appears to be following the "bring all my buddies from Houston" coaching staff building strategy. Never knew Tom stole that from him, too.

Chris Ash as DC and Charlie Strong as position coach...in the nfl? Ok.

I’ve read that Ash is going to Jacksonville as the DB coach.  Not the DC.  Maybe that’s changed. 

He may do alright for a few years with a young team, veteran team ain't going for the rah rah shit.

This. I don’t expect all that much success for Urban. After 2-4 years of bad-to-mediocre, he’ll leave and the next guy in will inherit a good situation.

Has anybody seen compensation package on this?

This reminds me of the line from Ghostbusters: “You haven’t worked in the private sector — they expect results!”

Almost like Urban says I’ll go earn another $40M+ at a minimum, be relatively close to my daughter and have next-to-zero expectations. Meanwhile, take the Texas job and we’re supposedly breathing down his neck if he gets smoked in Dallas next October. This is a comfort move for Meyer. If he wins, it’s gravy.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Slightly off topic, but during our urban saga didn't ketch say something about donating his paycheck if urban did not come to texas? Am I remembering incorrectly, because if not, we definitely need to dig that up and politely remind him.

$1,200 will buy a lot of spam

9 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

Urban will last 2-3 seasons. Perfect timing for when we can try and recruit him again 

That's a terrible position for Sark and his staff. I understand Herman performed he way that he did, and he showed promise at Houston. That doesn't mean you should expect Sark to fail. For all we know right now, he's an offensive mastermind, and you guys will be glad you're not in some REAL trouble that CUM ducks out of due to his fake "heart problems." You're better off. 

• Fuck You 1

I think saying "we dodged a bullet" is standard Surly hyperbole.  There are plenty of legit questions about Meyer's ability to be successful at the next level.  Since he's never coached at the NFL level it doesn't exactly take a genius to have these types of questions.  I also wonder if for all his college success he does have the issue of "NFL Contacts" when it comes to putting together a kickass NFL staff.  He likely knows a lot of names, and faces, they certainly know his but does he have a deep enough relationship with them where they are going to say "yea sure I'm jumping on this train of uncertainty". 

All that said what remains is likely little he does at the NFL level is very indicative of what he would or would not have done at Texas.  I will admit the cold black places in my heart would rather enjoy watching him and Chuckles fail massively but even if they do I'm never going to think "well he for sure would have sucked at Texas". I hope that is something we never know.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

I think saying "we dodged a bullet" is standard Surly hyperbole.  There are plenty of legit questions about Meyer's ability to be successful at the next level.  Since he's never coached at the NFL level it doesn't exactly take a genius to have these types of questions.  I also wonder if for all his college success he does have the issue of "NFL Contacts" when it comes to putting together a kickass NFL staff.  He likely knows a lot of names, and faces, they certainly know his but does he have a deep enough relationship with them where they are going to say "yea sure I'm jumping on this train of uncertainty". 
All that said what remains is likely little he does at the NFL level is very indicative of what he would or would not have done at Texas.  I will admit the cold black places in my heart would rather enjoy watching him and Chuckles fail massively but even if they do I'm never going to think "well he for sure would have sucked at Texas". I hope that is something we never know.
He would not have sucked here, as he's a known commodity in the college game.

He might completely flame out on the pros, and since he's off our list I kind of hope he does and regrets passing our opportunity while Sark has massive success here.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I don’t know or care what happens in Jax, but maybe Urban Meyer = Jimmy Johnson, a la Dallas Cowboys?

The game is completely different than it was when Jimmy hopped to the the NFL. Hell, it changed exponentially in between his leaving the Cowboys and joining the Dolphins (free agency, salary cap).

This is not a move that is made successfully very often. Odds are against it working here. I’m eager to see.